Start by marking “26 Absurdities of Tragic Proportions: Unusual and Enjoyable Tales” as Want to Read:
26 Absurdities of Tragic Proportions: Unusual and Enjoyable Tales

26 Absurdities of Tragic Proportions: Unusual and Enjoyable Tales

Awarded Finalist Prize in the 2019 American Fiction Awards 'Short Stories' Category by American Book Fest.

An utterly fascinating collection of short tales inspired by Edward Gorey's alphabetical illustrations in "The Gashlycrumb Tinies." These tales capture the essence of dark humor and satire with one tale for each child depicted in Gorey's most famous illustrations. The
Published June 17th 2018 by Matthew C. Woodruff

To ask other readers questions about 26 Absurdities of Tragic Proportions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 26 Absurdities of Tragic Proportions

Start your review of 26 Absurdities of Tragic Proportions: Unusual and Enjoyable Tales
Matthew Woodruff
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE this book! (I also wrote it, but I am not biased in any way.)
Joy Lo-Bamijoko
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The stories of these twenty-six children fit the title perfectly. Each of the stories ending in the freakiest ways. All these children lived one sad story after another. The settings were, however, well researched.

The first story, Amy, ended quite dramatically. Basil’s mother, a quantum physicist, lost Basil through a time machine. Poor Clara! the zookeeper’s daughter let herself go. Desmond was the little brave boy who saved his mother and his little unborn sister. Ernest story was so sad. Did
Kathryn Spurgeon
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting

Well written. Entertaining and Surprising. Sad but not in an overly emotional way. I liked it and read it quickly.
Linda mccann
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Darkly humorous, entertaining and endearing in a strange sorta way, these stories are varied and seem to incorporate the spirit of the illustrations that inspired them! I laughed out loud!.

Recommended for the young at heart. Once I started reading it became difficult to put it down. If you appreciate sarcastic humor this is the book for you.
Roxanne
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interesting book

It,had stories that was all different. I really enjoy reading them all. All the different ways the stories ended was interesting.
Barbara Dougherty Evans
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-have-won
I was fortunate enough to win a copy of this book from Goodreads. The style of writing is very different from anything I have read before. There are 26 short stories in the book. Each one provides some insight into human behavior. They tackle the subjects of life and death, the choices we make, and how different situations affect our behavior. For some reason the more I read the more I wanted to read. After each story whether it was a sad, depressing ending or not, I felt compelled to keep readi ...more
Amy Shannon
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rewarding read!

Woodruff put together a grand collection of dark humor within the 26 Absurdities of Tragic Proportions. Each story has a unique look into the depths of dark humor. The author uses imagery and adventure, and of course, misadventure to bring these stories to life. The characters have a depth that brings the stories individual plots together, but also show the well-deserving of the collection together. I look forward to reading more by this new author.
Karen Ingalls
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books of the year. There are 26 short stories, each one that had an impact on me. They are all about human behavior, characteristics, chance and choice, and life and death. My favorites were LEO, CLARA, SUSAN, TITUS, AND YORICK.
This is the first book I have read by this author, but not my last.
Sara Avrams
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Surely absurd

Truly absurd. Definitely sad. Intriguing and strange. These tales are not for the faint of heart nor for one looking for a happy ending. Nevertheless they are good reading.
Linda
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Childhood is not for sissies!

Many things happen in childhood; some of them not so welcome.The children in these stories had unwelcome events happen to them. Try not to enjoy them too much. Expect some laugh-out-loud moments.
Margaret Bechtol
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quirky little stories

I loved this book, it appealed to my warped sense of humor. Some stories were better than others but that’s how it usually works. I won this book in a giveaway but I will buy this author’s books. Truly enjoyed it!
Tucker
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Imaginative, funny, entirely frivolous, and a worthwhile read. Its punctuation needs another proofreading round, a flaw that normally distracts me from enjoying a book, but in this case the storytelling was so strong that I forgave and ignored the minor mechanical weaknesses.
Chris Kenyon
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it
A nice little series of stories describing the fates of all 26 of Edward Gorey’s Gashlycrumb Tinies. Both amusing and morose.
Jackie
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short but endearing. Totally different but not to be missed.
Rebecca Sodano
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow

I finished in one day. I don’t usually read short stories but I did for a reading challenge. Like game of thrones on speed, you meet everyone, know their who,e story and live through their trauma all in ten pages.
Cindy Collier
Jan 21, 2020
Mark Rausch
Mar 13, 2019
Sharon
rated it did not like it
Jun 06, 2019
Gerald H Cyr
Jul 26, 2020
Anthony R. Vecchiarelli
Oct 10, 2018
Goodreads Librari...: Two listings need to be combined 3 217 Mar 20, 2019 08:25AM

• The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless #3)
  • Milk Street Fast and Slow: Instant Pot Cooking at the Speed You Need
  • The Fun Knowledge Encyclopedia: The Crazy Stories Behind the World's Most Interesting Facts
  • Red Rain (Nameless #4)
  • The Stillwater Girls
  • A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak, #1)
  • Storm Rising (FBI K-9, #3)
  • Whodunnit
  • Taming the Shopping Bug: My Year of Minimalist Shopping
  • The Curio Cabinet: A Collection of Miniature Stories
  • Justice Isn't Blind: A Story Told In Texts
  • Voyage to Hell (In Hell #1)
  • Stories in the Dark Volume 1: The Horror
  • The Secret, Book & Scone Society (Secret, Book, & Scone Society, #1)
  • Stone Storm
  • Try This At Home: Adventures in songwriting
  • Proof in the Photo (The Inn at Holiday Bay, #9)
  • Abstract Casualty: Shandra Higheagle Mystery
With sardonic wit and complete irreverence, Matthew Woodruff is one of America’s pre-eminent humor writers. The great skill with which he slices through cultural euphemisms and political correctness proves that Woodruff is a master of dark humor and satire and one of the most observant writers addressing the human condition today.

It is said that Matthew was born with a book in one hand and a pen i