Start by marking “Invisible Women: Exposing Data Bias in a World Designed for Men” as Want to Read:
Invisible Women: Exposing Data Bias in a World Designed for Men

Invisible Women: Exposing Data Bias in a World Designed for Men

Imagine a world where your phone is too big for your hand, where your doctor prescribes a drug that is wrong for your body, where in a car accident you are 47% more likely to be seriously injured, where every week the countless hours of work you do are not recognised or valued. If any of this sounds familiar, chances are that you're a woman.

Invisible Women shows us how, in
Published March 7th 2019 by Chatto Windus

To ask other readers questions about Invisible Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invisible Women

Carla
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, audiobooks
Audiobook fundamental para se ter uma visão abrangente e fiel das desigualdades de género a que as mulheres continuam sujeitas num mundo moldado à imagem dos homens.
Gwen
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a book about unconscious bias. It's not about men deliberately excluding women when considering things like uniforms, city travel, or treatments for medical conditions ... although it's true that once the bias is pointed out, it's not always top of the list to make safety adjustments. And that's really one of the most important points of the book: it endangers women if you design and build the world without considering women's needs and habits. Women are built in a particular way, and th ...more
Zoë
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Becky
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do not read this if you are suffering from high blood pressure, because it is absolutely rage inducing. However EVERYONE should read this at some point, it looks at things that I had never even considered, genuinely brilliant.
Jenn
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is infuriating as it is fascinating.
Rachel Matthews
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this is like driving past the scene of a car crash. You know it's bad but you can't look away.

Talking of car crashes, as a woman this book revealed that I am 17% more likely to die in a crash than a man and that wasn't even the worst of it.

Women are under represented in almost every sphere of influence. We are underpaid, under appreciated, overworked, overlooked. We are often not listened to by medical professionals and this can result in death. God help you if you're a black, pregnant
Zoe Obstkuchen
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish I could make everyone read this book in the hope that every man could actually see how insignificant women are in a male-oriented world. Quite simply, we do not exist.
When I was 13 I adored reading Sherlock Holmes stories but I soon worked out that when a man refers to ‘people’ what he actually means is ‘other men’. Every single thing that impacts on the lives of women has actually been designed by men for the benefit of men. From cars to taxes, from medication to disaster relief time and
Jessica Scott
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s rare that a book so completely challenges your underlying assumptions about the way the world works but this book accomplishes that and more. Absolutely enthralling read that shows the impact of assuming male as universal and female as niche.
Reading this as a woman (and one would hope for a man reading as well), this is the nonfiction equivalent of a horror novel.

On a separate subject, I was carrying this book with me at work and was having a conversation about it with another woman. A man butted in and "joked," "If the women are invisible, how do you know they're there?" I guess he thought it was fiction (??), but when I started explaining what the book was about, he kind of just faded out and away from the conversation the first
Lily
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Absolutely everyone should read this book.
Mary
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really eye-opening for me to see how so many things in our world are unconsciously skewed towards males. It did not demonize men, or belittle them, which I was wary of, but instead shed some light on data biases that most men and women do not even realize is there. It was extremely fact-heavy and a bit hard to read in narrative form sometimes, which is why I give it 4/5 stars. Extremely interesting information; now, what will we do with it?
Tinna Björk
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Invisible Women fjallar um þá staðreynd (já, það er staðreynd) að karlmenn séu nánast án undantekninga sjálfgefna kynið þegar það kemur að öllu í okkar daglega umhverfi og hvernig það hefur gríðarleg (og stundum banvæn) áhrif á líf kvenna; lyf sérstaklega ætluð konum eru oft eingöngu rannsökuð á karlmönnum áður en þau eru fjöldaframleidd þó það sé gríðarlegur líffræðilegur munur á milli kynjanna, einkenni hjartaáfalla eru mismunandi eftir kynjum en samt eru einkenni karla alltaf talin vera týpís ...more
Gemma Hartley
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An infuriating and eye-opening read that exposes how women fall through the cracks of society and infrastructure at every level. Caroline Criado Perez makes a compelling case for rethinking the "default male" as the representative for all humans, and instead taking the "radical" approach of listening to women. Required reading.
Ang
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holy shit this was boring.

I mean, this is really fascinating stuff, but the incredible stuffing of so many numbers into such a short book was just...overwhelming. More narrative, less numbers, please. (I mean, this is really 100% my wheelhouse and I just found it so insufferably boring.)
Jaclyn
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, it's so so necessary, and so so enraging. Mostly, I just sat in coffeeshops crying. Y'know, because: I'm a woman. Just. Read. It. I'm normally not the data zealot, but damn if this doesn't make me into a believer.
Camille Kraus
I won this book in the good reads giveaway! I found Caroline Perez to be very informative. Much of the information I learned will be retained, especially since I am interested in gender equality, or lack therof.
Kathleen
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well-researched, expansive study of how the gender data gap affects women (and men) negatively (often fatally) in areas from medicine, to design __even to snow-plowing schedules....and how closing the data gap will benefit all humanity. Highly recommended.
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and long overdue

This book painstakingly catalogues the myriad ways in which women are short changed, ignored and harmed by our male centred society (Actually our male centred earth, it seems no country is immune).

Every page has dozens of links to references.

Maha
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Possibly the most important book to read this year!
Reine Gentozala
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read. Must read. Must share. The world will be a much better place when women are more involved.
Vikki
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
Very insightful and made me feel infuriated with how women are, intentionally or not, forgotten about.
Michaela
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Essential reading, for everyone.
Pam Kellman
Mar 21, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Not All Dead White Men: Classics and Misogyny in the Digital Age
  • Talking to Women
  • Death and the Afterlife: A Chronological Journey, from Cremation to Quantum Resurrection
  • Insomnia
  • The Friendship Cure
  • The Attacking Ocean: The Past, Present, and Future of Rising Sea Levels
  • Another Fine Mess: Life on Tomorrow's Moon
  • Cancerland: A Medical Memoir
  • The Ascent of Woman
  • More Alive and Less Lonely: On Books and Writers
  • Forgotten Women: The Leaders (Forgotten Women)
  • Blood and Daring: How Canada Fought the American Civil War and Forged a Nation
  • Steve Lichman - Volume I
  • Haunted: On Ghosts, Witches, Vampires, Zombies, and Other Monsters of the Natural and Supernatural Worlds
  • D-Day Girls: The Spies Who Armed the Resistance, Sabotaged the Nazis, and Helped Win World War II
  • Out of Thin Air: The True Story of an Impossible Murder in Iceland