Start by marking “Lex Luthor: Man of Steel” as Want to Read:
Lex Luthor: Man of Steel

Lex Luthor: Man of Steel

(DC Comics Graphic Novel Collection #15)

Written by Brian Azzarello Art and cover by Lee Bermejo Superman has been called many things, from the defender of Truth, Justice and the American way to the Big Blue Boy Scout. In LEX LUTHOR: MAN OF STEEL, he is called something he never been called before: a threat to all humanity! In this trade paperback collecting the acclaimed 5-issue miniseries LEX LUTHOR: MAN OF STE ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Lex Luthor, please sign up.
Martin "Ferda" Fereš Hell yeah! He was my favourite Superman villain even before I've read this. But now...

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Lex Luther is such a compelling villain because he is so convinced that he is the good guy and that is so, so, dangerous.

He fears Superman; he fears that this alien could one day turn and that nobody could ever hope to stop him. He is right to have such fears, though his reactions are nothing short of evil. And he knows it, though he is willing to sacrifice his morality because he believes he is striving towards a greater goal: the protection and betterment of mankind.

This comic almost made me
Anne

Good story told from Lex's point of view. Of course, he doesn't see himself as a villain, and by the middle of the book you can feel yourself mustering up quite a bit of sympathy for him. Poor misunderstood fellow.

Or maybe not.

I would have given this a solid four stars, but there was this weird fight between Batman and Superman that really confused me. Maybe I'm missing an important piece of the puzzle, but it just didn't make sense. Other than that it was a great portrayal of everyone
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

I'm pretty familiar with the essence of this comic - namely, Lex Luthor isn't the baddie like we know him traditionally but is trying to protect Earth from a potential alien dictator. I suppose when this first came out, it was more uncommon and "new" than it is these days. I can't help but yawn slightly and mutter, "Been there, done that."

The art is great, but really, was it necessary to have so many butt and boob shots of women? Mona is basically just a walking butt and boob shot,
Library Next Door
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"When I see you(Superman), I see something...
No Man can ever be. I see the End.
"The End of our Potential.
The End of our Achievements.
The End of our Dreams.
You are my biggest nightmare"
-Lex Luthor.
The Lines already describes how much Lex Luthor hates the Man of steel, And Why he is one of the Greatest Villains. Because he talks the viewpoint of every person in the world and how We would hate a Man who can do anything And still be indestructible and immortal.
I would highly recommend th
Shannon
MINI REVIEW: focus is upon the perspective of Luthor and how he feels Superman holds humanity back from greatness because he makes us lazy. Cameo by Bruce Wayne/Batman. Beautiful artwork and a credible enough story that probably needed another 20-30 pages to do the story seeds justice.

OVERALL GRADE ON THE SHANNON SCALE: B minus to B.
Sam Quixote
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Lex Luthor gets his own book to give his side of the story, to convince us readers that Superman is the menace he believes he is. Lex is building a giant new structure devoted to science and the accomplishments of humanity, making sure people understand Superman is not human nor is he needed to save anyone. But just to be sure Lex is also building a female version of Superman to become the new saviour of Metropolis.

I think Brian Azzarello's books are hit and miss but this one was definitely a hi
Mike
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Azzarello seems to think that Luthor thinks in metaphor. Clever, inventive metaphor, but intellectual flights of fantasy all the same.

I never quite perceived Luthor as a man of intellectual ego, more someone who mercilessly beats down his opponents until they're ready to yield, and then takes advantage. This is a whole new character - a reinvention, or even a phoenix-like rebirth.

It's also possible that - rather than a narrative telling Luthor's story - this is all a self-rationalising delusion
James DeSantis
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This was pretty interesting. Superman is almost always in a positive light. Besides Red Son or Injustice he basically is the "Good guy" everyone looks up to. He's all about hope, about helping, and about fighting for a better future. He's our protector. Lex obviously doesn't see him that way. What makes this story interesting is you see the perception of Lex and how Superman can come across as evil. On top of that you get a pretty cool flashback of Bruce vs Clark (which I assume is when they fir ...more
Wendy
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-manga
Upon finishing Joker, I learned that Azzarello and Lee Bermejo had teamed up again on Lex Luthor: Man of Steel, another captivating character in the DC universe that is often poorly represented as simply a mad genius.

Where Joker is violent and unpredictable, Lex Luthor reflects its main character’s cold, calculating subtlety. It lays out Luthor’s purpose right from the start, painting the undeniable picture of Superman as an alien. A monster with no understanding of humanity. Luthor despises the
Logan
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Personally, I loved Batman v Superman, I thought it got a lot of flack it did not deserve, however what I will say is, THIS IS HOW YOU DO LEX LUTHOR!!!! So here we have Brian Azzarello, doing another villain story, and like his 'Joker' novel, this book is entirely from Luthor's perspective! The story, well its basically a week in the life of Lex Luthor, is how I would put it! You get the monologue of Luthor as he narrates the story. Its a perfect example of Luthor's character. as he is an ideali ...more
Jesse A
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fun story. I would have rated this higher but I don't love the art. 3.5 stars.
mangaman
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic character study of Lex Luthor that makes you think he isn't as bad as he is and leaves you wondering if Superman is actually the bad guy.
Colin McKay Miller
Aug 05, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I read Joker and Luthor at the same time. Despite having the same creative team on both, I enjoyed the former yet disliked the latter. So what gives?

Both focus on the villains as the protagonists, with the usual heroes—Batman and Superman—as their antagonists. Before Joker, I wasn’t sure if I liked Brian Azzarello’s writing, but he nails it here. He doesn’t explain why Joker got freed from Arkham Asylum—he is a criminal after all—but he does explain just one part of the Joker through the narrat
Nerdish Mum
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2016
Actual rating a low 2.5 stars.

I was extremely disappointed in this book and if I'd been getting the arc as single issues I'd have wanted my money back. Nothing really happens at all until nearly the end when Lex (view spoiler) without any real purpose and without it bringing anything to the story. We don't learn anything different or new about Lex and the "bad guy" in this story is the union
Catherine Girard-Veilleux
While it was good, it wasn't particularly entertaining.

I expected more from Lex Luthor (action, maybe?). However, I greatly enjoyed his ''pure views'' against Superman and I think them fitting. I guess one can't help siding with him (I know I can't!).

If you're a big comics fan (and villains' too!), I suggest you check it out the library like I did and read it just so you know what it's about. But buying it? I'm not too sure.

Brian Azzarello usually impresses me (like with ''The Joker''!), but th
Julian
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What if Superman's much vaunted love for humanity were only a front? What if he went bad? What if being an alien, he had a weird alien agenda that required being good for now, but which might have a much less beneficial purpose? These are among the fears that are confronted head on by Lex Luthor in this story. Now, an optimist might say that Superman has been pretty good thus far, but Luthor is no optimist. He is convinced that Superman is not all good, simply because he is alien, and hence unkn ...more
Shahriar Shafin
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
A modern day classic! I always thought superman books can never be dark enough, because of that boyscout-ish behaviour. but this, this is something else.

technically, it is not a superman book. lex is the main character, and oh, that is sime character! afraud, vulnerable, prejudiced, lex luthor is actually a mirror of many of us, who are alwats afraid of changes. his mindset, his desparation, along with amazing gritty art and grim dialogues, makes lex luthir: man of steel such a good novel.

superm
Danny
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Too few stories are written about villains. It's an admirable yet unenviable task. You have to cause your readers to feel sympathy for a person you know in your heart as wrong. You may not agree with them, but you try to understand them because they're human. At least usually in comic books they resemble us. It becomes really interesting when books like this are created to dissect the zeitgeist most famous villains and make us understand them. Lex Luthor has always been an intriguing character b ...more
Shannon
I found the story difficult to follow because it was disjointed and didn't flow well. I feel that this story only exists to paint Lex in an empathetic light.
Kati
May 16, 2010 rated it liked it
E.H.
Jun 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: comic lovers
If you've ever delved into the Superman comics at all, you've come across Lex Luthor, the billionaire who makes it his business to make life difficult for Our Hero. The back story between him and Clark Kent is pretty compelling stuff - friendship and betrayal in rural Kansas. But this isn't that story.

Brian Azzarello has interrogated Lex and come back with six issues of reasons to hate the Big Nietzschian Joke. There's nothing not to like here - the storytelling is tight, the art is gorgeous and
Jennifer Hooker
I haven't read much Superman. In fact, I just finished my first Superman book right before I read this. The story takes place from the perspective of Lex for a short period of time. Basically, Lex believes he is in the right and that he loves Metropolis more than Superman does because he's human and Supes is not.
The writing was good and the storyline was not bad. I actually had a feeling for Luthor at some point, which I don't think happens in comics enough. It's almost always about the good gu
Seleyia
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the other side of the story; how Lex Luthor sees Superman. This reminds me of how in the upcoming trailers of BvS how so many people don't like Superman. Lex Luthor believes that humanity needs different symbol of hope and he tries to create this "perfect human." The cameo of Bruce Wayne/Batman really added to the story and how Luthor has no idea who Wayne is though he partners up with him, or at least tries to. Definitely recommend this comics, great quick read!
Andrew Uys
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the GREAT reads, this GN does what almost no other has before: makes you understand & relate to Lex Luthor! Superman's great villain is brought into the spotlight with this stand alone read by one of my fav writers, Brian Azzarello. Once you can see Superman through Luthor's eye, you'll never see the Big Blue as quite the same hero as you did before. Magnificent!
Joe
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting take on a classic villain. The art varies...some panels have this penciling that adds some levity and softness to the overall dark inks and thematic tones; others, though, are very clunky with heavy lines. The story seems a bit antiquated and the writing sometimes gets lost in its dependence on metaphor, but overall a decent read.
Mark Desrosiers
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
In which Lex Luthor -- perhaps an abstraction himself -- devises a number of tedious metaphysical reasons to despise Superman. The resulting plot is really just a string of Azzarello brain farts involving union busting, Bruce Wayne, "Hope", and the Toyman, only the first of which (abandoned early in the plot) holds any promise in illuminating Luthor's worldview.
Robert
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ana amazing, humanizing, sympathetic look at Superman's antagonist. A prime example of the old adages "History is written by the victors" and "Everyman is the hero of his own story".
Steve
Oct 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A good exploration of Luthor's psyche and how he's willing to compromise himself and his own happiness to take down what he sees as a real threat to humanity's future.
Sonic
Feb 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant writing and artwork!~

This is my favorite version of this intriguing character.
Cookie
Worst thing I have read in a while. Ugh just ugh. The 'preface' of this books tells of villains that have become as "charismatic" as heroes: surely not here!

Lex Luthor must suffer from cognitive dissonance. He is not likeable at all, not appealing, not charismatic. The blurb sells him as a genius, the most intelligent man of the planet but this comic does not portray this at all. We have a foolishly delusional man who is drowning in hypocrisy and irony and not seeing it!? This is very much a sho
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Thor Omnibus
  • Superman: New Krypton, Vol. 3
  • Superman/Shazam!: First Thunder
  • JLA, Vol. 1: New World Order
Brian Azzarello (born in Cleveland, Ohio) is an American comic book writer. He came to prominence with 100 Bullets, published by DC Comics' mature-audience imprint Vertigo. He and Argentine artist Eduardo Risso, with whom Azzarello first worked on Jonny Double, won the 2001 Eisner Award for Best Serialized Story for 100 Bullets #15–18: "Hang Up on the Hang Low".

Azzarello has written for Batman ("B

DC Comics Graphic Novel Collection (1 - 10 of 53 books)
  • Batman: Hush, Vol. 1