Start by marking “Iphigeneia at Aulis” as Want to Read:
Iphigeneia at Aulis

Iphigeneia at Aulis

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  2,592 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
Based on the conviction that only translators who write poetry them-selves can properly recreate the celebrated and timeless tragedies of Aeschylus, Sophocles, and Euripides, the Greek Tragedy in New Translations series offers new translations that go beyond the literal meaning of the Greek in order to evoke the poetry of the originals.
Published September 5th 2000 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published -410)

Jenny
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Ένα λόγο μονάχα θα πω και θα νικήσω·
γλυκιά η ζωή κι ο θάνατος μαυρίλα·
είναι τρελός όποιος ποθεί το θάνατο.
Κάλλιο πικρή ζωή,παρά καλή θανή."

Manny
Nov 28, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Colin Farrell seems to have it all. He's a successful cardiologist, he gets to have necrophilic sex with Nicole Kidman every night, and his beautiful daughter has just started menstruating. Unfortunately, he's about to discover that he's walked into a Greek tragedy.

(If this doesn't make sense, go watch The Killing of a Sacred Deer. It still won't make sense, but you'll be confused in a more enjoyable way).
Eirini Proikaki
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5*
Angie
May 22, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: university, 2007
Alp Turgut
"İphigenia Aulis’te / Iphigenia in Aulis" oyunu Truva Savaşı’na başlamadan önce Tanrı’lar tarafından istenildi diye Agammemnon’un kızı İphigenia’yı kurban etmesini konu alıyor. Oyunun sonu "deus ex machina" özelliği taşısa da ben sonunun kurban edilmesiyle bittiğini düşünüyorum. Euripides’in diğer oyunlarına nazaran özellikle konusuyla oldukça geride bir oyun; fakat olay örgüsü sürükleyici ve Truva Savaşı’nın bilinmeyen bir tarafını anlattığı için ilgi çekici. Vatan sevgisi temasının öne çıktığı ...more
Köksal Kök
Euripides (M.Ö. 480 - M.Ö. 406)

Çeviren: Prof. Dr. Suat Sinanoğlu
Milli Eğitim Bakanlığı,
Ankara, 1963
84 s.
-----------------
mutlu sonla biten bir hikaye, gerçek hayat.

Atreusoğulları üzerinde bir lanet vardır.

kral agememnon, truva seferine çıkmak için, tanrılara kızını kurban adar. fakat artemis, kızın yerine sunağa bir geyik koyar. iphigena kırıma sürgün gider. athena rahibesi olur.

Agamemnon'u, karısı Klitaimestra öldürür. Orestes de, annesini öldürür.

iphigena, kırımda tapınakta, yabancıları athena
Jemidar

This play premiered in Athens in 405BC and is about an incident that took place at Aulis before the the armies of Hellas could set sail for the Trojan War.

This isn't a tragedy as we would normally think of them, as in Shakespeare's tragedies where bodies litter the stage by the final scene but it is a tragedy nonetheless despite the apparent 'happy' ending. I've heard it argued that this is a tragedy in the way Aristotle defined them, where someone has to make a choice, a difficult & horribl
Alexander Rolfe
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This seems to me like Euripides' attempt to redeem the horrible story of Iphigenia's sacrifice by portraying her as choosing to go through with it for the good of Greece. He gives her some kleos (glory). I was surprised that my edition said the ending was spurious, because having a god set things right at the end seems totally in character, and his sequel assumes those events.

In another play, Euripides says something like "these stories are terrible, but they reveal the gods." I've thought abou
Michelle Abramowitz
You could call this play Agamemnon vs Achilles: Origins

This play sets up so many relations for the stories that were written before it, I really liked it!
B.R. Depue
Sep 09, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a pretty good story. I just had a bit of a hard time reading it. I would recommend it to others to read if they want to read an interesting story.
  • The Persians
  • Birds
  • Ajax (Translations from Greek Drama)
  • Medea
  • The Eclogues
(Greek: Ευριπίδης )
Euripides (Ancient Greek: Εὐριπίδης) (ca. 480 BC–406 BC) was the last of the three great tragedians of classical Athens (the other two being Aeschylus and Sophocles). Ancient scholars thought that Euripides had written ninety-five plays, although four of those were probably written by Critias. Eighteen of Euripides' plays have survived complete. It is now widely believed that wh
More about Euripides...
“AGAMEMNON: I will not slay my children, nor shall thy interests be prospered by justice in thy vengeance for a worthless wife, while I am left wasting, night and day, in sorrow for what I did to one of my own flesh and blood, contrary to all law and justice.” 5 likes
“Death will be my wedding, children and glory.” 3 likes