Start by marking “Emma Kate” as Want to Read:

Published September 8th 2005 by Philomel Books

Lisa Vegan
Dec 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young girls; children who have/had imaginary friends; those who enjoy humorous picture books
Ha ha ha!!! I am completely charmed. This has one of the best twist endings I’ve ever seen, and I didn’t get it ahead of time, even though some readers will because there are definitely clues given throughout the book.

This is a great book about imaginary friends, a story once again based on this author/illustrator’s own childhood. I loved that the very favorite activity of these two is to read together. I was amused by the “café-gym-a-torium.” But mostly, I had a lot of fun with Emma Kate and h
Kathryn
Feb 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kathryn by: Lisa--thank you!
I loved this sweet story about the power of friendship--even when our friends are imaginary. The illustrations are warm and full of humor and charm and the story is one of Polacco's "simplest" in that it uses only a few words and would be appropriate even for the Kindergarten audience (unlike most of her picture books which are more suited to older readers). The twist at the end was SO much fun--I was like, WOAH, what!?!?! It really made me giggle and also provided food for thought in terms of h ...more
Gavin
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Honestly the best book I've ever read this is a heart warming story about an elephant who need a friend. I shed multiple tears on to the book and this book made me cry myself to sleep because i was left in a pool of suspense.
Natalie Tobar
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book! It shows friendship developing with Emma kate and the elephant. I recommend this book to all children because of the words, drawing, and passion of this book. I gave this book a 5 star rating because it really surprised me, and it deserved it.
Ariel
Jan 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Book review: Emma Kate
Written by Patricia Polacco

What happens when you have a close friend and you both catch a cold? Will you share food together? According to Emma Kate(which is an elephant) and her close friend, these two friends will do things together They will even catch a cold together.

The story begins as a girl and Emma Kate (her elephant) go to school together. They do things together. They are really best friends. They eat together, they sleep together, and they take baths together
Ann
Sep 04, 2010 rated it really liked it

So, I pretty much loved this book! I think I loved it even more because of the semi-based-on-a-true-story-ness of it.

An elephant is the best friend of the darling little girl in this story, and we get to see all the various things Emma Kate does with her best friend.

I love the illustrations - how the elephant is amidst a world of color (because she's gray, or perhaps another reason).

I also love that the book doesn't really say if Emma Kate's friend is real or not. It leaves it up for th
Betsy
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful read aloud!! There's a bit of a surprise ending to this charming story of two friends, one of whom is imaginary but looks to be inspired by an item in the "real" friend's possession. As the mother of three children who all invest their stuffed toys with terribly authentic lives, this was fun for me to read (and my children enjoyed it immensely). I liked the illustrations and use of color in this book a lot.
Andrea Medina
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is very nice. I would recommend it to all the 1st graders. The book is about an elephant which had a friend. They had sleepovers and they went to school together. They also go to the same soccer team. They would dream about each other every night.
The Reading Countess
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
How can you argue with the genius that is Polacco? Borrowed from her own childhood where she and her imaginary (elephant) friend played together thanks to Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who, Polacco reminds the child in us all that imagination is our greatest ally.
Luann
Oct 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, 2008
This book is for anyone who had an imaginary friend growing up. It's a very quick read, so be sure to take time to study the illustrations. Not only do they make great use of contrasting colors, they give important clues to the story. Also, this is a book you need to read at least twice! :)
Colette
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Charming and sweet. The illustrations are beautiful and dynamic. Patricia Polacco is one of my favorite children’s authors. Great books for reading aloud to kids or having them read to you!
Suzanne
Jul 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
There is a fun twist with this simple story, but what really stands out for me are the illustrations. Marvelous pencil drawings.
Jack
Nov 30, 2010 rated it liked it
By: Patricia Polacco
Reviewed by: Jack
Imagine if Horton comes over and says,” Hey, let’s be friends.” How about if Dumbo comes over and says,” What’s up buddy?” Well in the little girl’s imagination, some elephants will.

The story is basically about a girl doing everything with Emma, an elephant. They go to sleep together, eat together, go to school together, they even do their homework together. The elephant is her best friend. It's so amusing that she rides her bike home with Emma
Barbara
Based in part on the author's own childhood experiences with an imaginary friend, this picture book will connect with many imaginative youngsters. A girl and her elephant do just about everything together, from going to school to riding bikes together in their free time. Clearly, they are the best of friends, and nothing could come between them, not even doubting parents. Youngsters may smile in glee at the ending's twist since it seems as though Emma Kate could be the girl and the elephant, and ...more
Amy Forrester
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Emma Kate and her best friend do everything together, even though one of them is an elephant and the other a human girl. They walk to school, go to soccer, have sleepovers, do homework, and read together. They even have their tonsils out together! Emma Kate and her best friend are so inseparable readers will find the twist at the end surprising and amusing. Spoiler alert: Emma Kate is the little girl, not the elephant!

Polacco’s pencil and watercolor illustrations render an incredibly detailed w
Lindsay
Theme: How to be a friend/ what friendship looks like

A sweet story of friendship that kids could easily relate to. What are characteristics of a great friend-even if that friend is imaginary? A great book for text- to-self-connections.

As I began reading I right away started thinking about point of view and how this is a great example of a story told from first person point of view. The great twist of "who" is telling the story made this terrific book that I would have given four stars to a five
Jill
Feb 05, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was super interesting!

I got a recommendation for this book from somewhere... but I can't remember where!

This is the story of a girl and an elephant who are friends. It is told in first-person, and you assume from the beginning that the girl is speaking about her elephant friend, Emma Kate. Throughout the book, my students and I talked about imaginary friends (which is apparently a totally foreign concept to them). Then at the end, it is revealed that the ELEPHANT is narrating the book,
Whole And
May 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Just as diligently nourish our children with fruits and veggies, so must we nourish their imaginations.

"Emma Kate" is a nutrient rich super dose of fun and imagination feeding goodness.

Patricia Polacco makes it hard to believe Kate's elephant friend isn't real, even as a grown up. Love the illustrated distinction of colour and sketch to determine some of the real parts from fantasy.

Artistically so rich yet simple, a wonderful exploration for a young artist to appreciate deeply.

A wonderful book
Treasa
Emma Kate and her best friend do everything together - walk to school, ride bikes, do homework - even have their tonsils out! Even though Emma Kate's best friend's parents think that Emma Kate is purely imaginary, that doesn't deter them from being best friends.

As I was reading this book, I thought it was a sweet, simple book about having an imaginary friend. But the twist at the end made it that much better. Just wonderful. In fact, I had to reread the book multiple times to see if I had missed
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I enjoyed the illustrations more than the story with this one. The way the elephant is shown interacting with the little girl is quite humorous. She teaches him to write "elephant" with his trunk holding the pencil. I loved the picture of the car pulling up to soccer practice, with one side down lower than the other and the tires almost flattened by the weight of the elephant, and the next one, where the girl and the elephant are sitting on the sofa reading, with one end of the sofa crushed down ...more
Angie
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 2nd graders, 3rd graders, parents, teachers
What a completely charming book! Emma Kate tells the story of Emma Kate and her best friend as they spend time together, going to school, playing, and generally having a good time. Patricia Polacco takes a fairly routine picture book plot and livens it up with her charming illustrations and beautiful language. I especially loved the unique twist. When I pick up a Polacco book, I expect to be impressed and entertained. This book certainly accomplishes this and would rank as one of my favorite Pol ...more
Jessica
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Emma Kate and her best friend do everything together. They go to school together, play together, get their tonsils out, and eat gallons of pink ice cream together. There is a funny surprise twist at the end, but I don't think that any of the children (or even adults) at my storytime got it (or if they did, they didn't say "ohhhhh!" or laugh). In fact, I didn't even get it when I first read it, because I wasn't paying much attention to the pictures. This would also be great for a storytime or the ...more
Christy
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
That adorable Emma Kate has an imaginary friend.They walk to school together every morning, and sit together in class.They sleep over at each other’s houses, and do their homework side by side.They even have their tonsils out and eat gallons of pink ice cream together. But a hilarious twist ending will have readers realizing there’s more to this imaginary friend than meets the eye!

Another of Polacco’s immensely popular younger books, Emma Kate is a wonderfully original story of pretend play and
Dolly
Dec 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We really enjoy Patricia Polacco's stories and so we look for them often at our local library. Lucky for us, she is a very prolific writer, so we still have several more of her books to discover.

This is an entertaining story about an imaginary friend. The story has an unusual twist at the end, although I'm not sure that it added to my enjoyment of the tale.

Overall, this was a fun book to read aloud and we enjoyed reading this book together.
Meg McGregor
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-lexi
A charming book by one of the best writers in children's literature.

Emma Kate has an imaginary friend - someone who does everything with her!

Fun book for littles to realize it is ok to have imaginary friends.

Be sure to have your little ones understand the charming and unexpected ending! It took me two readings to figure it out!
Linda Lipko
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
The charcoal drawings of grey which contrasting red are a delight for the eye.

Emma Kate has an imaginary friend who does everything with her. Together they go to school, ride bikes, eat ice cream and have their tonsils removed.

There is a twist at the end when the reader realizes that the friend is not imagined by the little girl, but rather by the elephant.
Meg McGregor
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
A charming book by one of the best writers in children's literature. Emma Kate has an imaginary friend - an elephant who does everything with her! Fun book for littles to realize it is ok to have imaginary friends.
Donna
May 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Donna by: Peanut the elephant
Shelves: children-s-books
I really like this author and her illustrations. After reading about Peanut the elephant this seemed like a nice follow-up. Kids will enjoy the story of an imaginary friend, but there is a surprise at the end. I am not saying anything else.
Jessica
Oct 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
If you're going to have an imaginary friend why not have it be an elephant?
A. Somers
Sep 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
While I realize this book was publ;ished a few years ago, I just ran across it and I think it is my new favorite Patricia Polacco story. I just didn't expect the ending. Very cute!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• My Name Is Not Isabella
  • Someday
  • Spot the Plot: A Riddle Book of Book Riddles
  • A Plump And Perky Turkey
Patricia Polacco is a New York Times bestselling author and illustrator with over 115 beloved and award-winning books to her credit, including The Keeping Quilt, Pink and Say, The Blessing Cup, Chicken Sunday, and Thank You, Mr. Falker. She resides in Michigan.