Start by marking “The Minimalist Home: A Room-By-Room Guide to a Decluttered, Refocused Life” as Want to Read:
The Minimalist Home: A Room-By-Room Guide to a Decluttered, Refocused Life

The Minimalist Home: A Room-By-Room Guide to a Decluttered, Refocused Life

A popular minimalist blogger and author of The More of Less shows you how to methodically turn your home into a place of peace, contentment, and purposeful living.

One of today's most influential minimalist advocates takes us on a decluttering tour of our own houses and apartments, showing us how to decide what to get rid of and what to keep. He both offer
Published December 18th 2018 by Waterbrook Press

To ask other readers questions about The Minimalist Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Minimalist Home

Start your review of The Minimalist Home: A Room-By-Room Guide to a Decluttered, Refocused Life
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
4 Stars

My personal rating for this book (as far as how much I "enjoyed" it) would be a 3, but I am giving it a 4 star rating as I believe the book and its message has a lot to offer to anyone new to minimalism and the minimalism philosophy.

I have been on the minimalist "journey" (geez, I sound like such a cliche, but whatever) for over a year now and I went at it pretty much the same way I go at most things...which is to say HARD.

I have never been a hoarder (except when it comes to book hoardi
Girl
Jan 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019
I received an e-copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Short version: don’t do this to yourself, folks. Just don’t. There are better books about minimalism (and/or decluttering) out there.

Long version: the thing is, I actually usually like books about minimalism and about downsizing your life, particularly the ones that offer practical solutions with regard to decluttering one’s life. They can be very soothing. They show the reader that change is possible, that others
j e w e l s
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Wow, this book helped me with a momentous move. My husband and I are newly empty-nested after decades of kids and a mother-in-law on board in a much larger house than our new 2 bedroom condo. It's not easy to scale back. That means you have to throw away things you thought you would always have. But, as Joshua Becker so effectively points out, they are just things! He made me realize that we should use things and treasure people. Not the other way around! A simple, yet revolutionary th
Carole
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-books
"The goal of minimalism is not just to own less stuff. The goal is to unburden our lives so we can accomplish more." This is a quote by Joshua Becker in The Minimalist Home. Minimalism in your home and life simplifies every aspect of living. The author offers room-by-room examples to streamline possessions and furniture. Objects that are not necessary can be relocated, sold, donated or recycled. This book is not for hoarders: minimalism could apply to most of our homes. Joshua Becker guides thro ...more
Holly  B
Mini Review to follow..
Patty Smith
Many thanks to NetGalley, Waterbrook and Multnomah, and Joshua Becker for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. My opinions are 100% my own and independent of receiving an advanced copy.

Joshua Becker has been in the “minimal” business for about 10 years. He has a website where you can get lots of tips and advice, including a newsletter sent to your inbox every so often. He has written other books but this one is sort of the culmination of his life’s work. He has been on TV, speaks all over an
Lilithcarter
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgally, 2018
I received this book from Netgally in exchange for an honest review!

Have never heard of the author, I thought it would ve refreshing. But sadly was not. It was a very repetitive, and I found his writing style a bit messy. He kept saying things like "in the next chapter". "We'll talk more in the coming pages" etc.. which really bother me. He talks about how to declutter your house room by room, and its mixed. With his experience and real life testimonies,he also added some data about the average
♥ Sandi ❣
3 stars

For such a popular book, I found it about average in the world of home 'decluttering' books. It may have gone into a bit more detail about where to clean and how to eliminate "stuff" than some other books. It also did not lecture about what to keep and what to get rid of. It kept referring back to a couple of questions to ask yourself if you had any hesitation between keeping or discarding.

I believe that the average American probably does not live in a home that limits their mobility or
Literary Soirée
THE MINIMALIST HOME by Joshua Becker, considered one of the movement’s gurus, provides a simple room-by-room approach to clearing your home of excess clutter and living more happily with less. I was struck by his assertion — one I’ve found true in my own life — that by making literal space in your home, you make “space” in your life for untapped dreams to come forth. He describes the benefits that he derived in his own life ... less financial outlay when you own fewer things, more time for what ...more
Megan Rosol
Nah. Boring imitation of Marie Kondo's philosophy but without her charm and excitement, but with drive-by Jesus stories. I'm not amused with evangelicals hiding their message/tone. You want to organize your home or wash your face while using biblical stories, fine, just mention it in the subtitle so I can stay away from it.
Robin
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it
3 stars for those who have already downsized and don't need advice, but 4.5 for those who have a house full of stuff and need inspiration.

I've read so many books on minimizing belongings and housing that this seemed like a rehash of what been published only with more theory and philosophizing and a smidge of a spiritual bend. I felt the author sometimes got a little "judgey" when observing others' households but there were a few insights I thought were valid. For example, as one who goes to a lo
Lorilin
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, wellness, arc, home
I first heard about Joshua Becker while reading Cozy Minimalist Home. In it, Myquillin Smith talks about Becker’s first (very popular) book, The More of Less, and how it inspired her to look at her house and her possessions in a new, more minimalist, light. I’ve never read The More of Less, but when I saw that Becker was coming out with a new book, I jumped on the chance to read it.

The Minimalist Home is a helpful and motivational read, though it’s not perfect. The book is divided into twelve se
Missy
Nov 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought The Minimalist Home was going to be about reducing clutter and organizing, which it is, but it's more. I was surprised at how much it got me thinking. Joshua Becker begins by having you think of your vision for your life - then think about your home and the purpose for each room. What do you envision doing there? Handle every item in the room and decide if it supports that purpose. If it doesn't, get rid of it. It's missional when you think of it that way.

I didn't actually go through
Jenna
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Borrowed from the library, because if you're spending money on a physical copy of a book on minimalism, what are you even doing?

Very brief read, completed in a day. I also donated or tossed about 35 things while reading it, even committing so much as to drive to the Goodwill and arrange a time to bring clothes to a high school's donation drive.

What I like about this author's Facebook page, where I discovered this book, is that it feels so much less preachy and smug than many other minimalist pag
Jana
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

After having read quite a few books on minimalism, decluttering etc., I think I can safely say that this is by far my favourite one of the kind that I have read. It goes through the home room by room, provides you with helpful checklists to find out whether you have reached a status of being comfortable with the progress you made in said room, all without coming off as preachy or promoting 100% extreme m
thepinkballerina
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very encouraging book on how to simplify your life so you can enjoy your life even more! And he doesn’t resort to instructing you to talk to inanimate objects. That’s amazing in itself in this day and age.
Alicia Thompson
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
TO BE FAIR I TOOK A MINIMALIST APPROACH AND SKIMMED IT BUT I GOT WHAT I NEEDED AND I THINK THAT’S IN THE SPIRIT OF THE BOOK
Mary
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I know much of this already but it is nice to get the pep talk. Some of it was a little extreme, one pen in his desk, one in his bag and a sharpie for signatures. And then again, I don’t need my dozens either. I think it will help me to continue in the task of reducing and decluttering. I remember looking at the things I had to pick up and take care of when my children were little and I thought that I would rather be having fun with them than to continue to take care of “stuff”. The reasoning fo ...more
Kristen Walker
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. Every time I read a little bit, I immediately began minimalizing. I am energized and motivated by this. The author does a great job inspiring and explaining the transformation that takes place in our lives on so many levels. I have gotten rid of so much and discovered how that causes my everyday habits to be more focused and simpler to maintain. I also have had new and better experiences because of the actual decluttering and seeing the purpose for the things I keep.
Nelleke Plouffe
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I listened to this as inspiration while I decluttered my kitchen, and I really enjoyed it. I didn’t find anything in it that might nudge my husband towards even a small degree of minimalism, though. Oh well...
Liisa
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Can be helpful for encouragement & motivation, but nothing here that hasn't been said better before.
Leslie M.
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I wasn’t sure what to expect from this book, but it’s written by a very popular minimalist blogger, so I was interested in participating in the launch team.

The book begins by asking the reader to imagine a vision for their life and the purpose of each room in their house. Imagine the perfect room, in a way. The reader is asked to determine if every item in said room supports the purpose of that room. If it doesn’t, there’s no purpose for it, so it can be removed. It sounds like something that co
Tori (Book Chick)
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of Joshua Becker. One of my favorite books of his, that I re-read often, is Simplify: 7 Guiding Principles to Help Anyone Declutter Their Home and Life. I've also read The More of Less: Finding the Life You Want Under Everything You Own & Inside-Out Simplicity- both great books.
This book focused specifically on decluttering and minimizing in each individual room of one's home. I can see how this could be a fabulous reference guide for someone new to the minimalist lifestyle or someone
Amy
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I appreciated this book for its practical advice and low-key tone. It gave me two “a-ha” moments: Pulling into my messy garage at night was a terrible welcome home, and digital clutter (emails, unused apps, outdated Pinterest boards) is still clutter.
Mai
Aug 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-star, abandoned, arc, ebook
Thank you to the publisher and Edelweiss for providing me a free copy of the book. The fact that I got it for free does not influence my review in any way.

Almost 10% of the book was taken up by introductions and "why"s. I swear, I read some variation of the phrase "before we start" at least 5 times. Then I just skipped to the second chapter.... oh wait, nope, that one's also pretty much the same. So now we're a fifth into the book and haven't even started thinking about how to declutter, great.

W
Megan Ericson
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: minimalism
Joshua Becker took his 10+ years of experience writing about minimalism and packed it all into these 200 pages. I have never read a more practical, step-by-step guide to decluttering your home. I would recommend this book to anyone but especially to moms and dads who want to get a handle on their stuff so they can spend more time on what really matters.

Some of my favorite quotes from the book:
- Minimalism isn't about removing the things you love. It's about removing the things that distract you
Nathan Albright
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge-2018
[Note:  This book was provided free of charge by Multnomah/Waterbrook Press.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.]

No one who knows my habits of book collecting would figure me to be someone who could argue for a minimalist home, and the only thing that keeps my clutter from being worse is a simple absence of space to fill with things rather than any sort of minimalist view towards the acquisition of possessions.  At times, my dutiful collection of a massive library [1] has led to entertaining
Everydayreader1
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
As the title suggests, Joshua Becker shows the reader, step-by-step, how to declutter and minimize each room in the home, including the garage and the yard. He continues with the theme of "less is more," as he has in previous books. He also explains what minimalism is and what it isn't, as well as the benefit of the minimalist lifestyle.

I've been drawn to minimalist information and "how to" books for many years. Though I have not embraced the minimalist way of life fully, as of now, I am definit

Shelley
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I fully embrace the concepts that Joshua espouses in his books. I'm actually considering minimizing even further in my next home. I love the idea of living debt free, mortgage free, and being able to travel at a moment's notice and give more. In the words of Dave Ramsey, "live like no one else so you can live AND GIVE like no one else." The more I read these kinds of books the more motivated I am to move in that direction.
Jen
Sep 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Some chapters feel a little long, but the book sets out for what it’s supposed to do: talk you through the process of minimizing your possessions. The book is very personal — feels like the author is having a conversation with you, and not just giving you a to do list. Best part of the book is the end, in my opinion: “Future.” Talks about the extended benefits of minimalizing besides just having less stuff: more time, more money, more focus on things that you value most.

• Cozy Minimalist Home: More Style, Less Stuff
  • Project 333: The Minimalist Fashion Challenge That Proves Less Really Is So Much More
  • Outer Order, Inner Calm: Declutter & Organize to Make More Room for Happiness
  • Soulful Simplicity: How Living with Less Can Lead to So Much More
  • Lightly: How to Live a Simple, Serene, and Stress-free Life
  • New Minimalism: Decluttering and Design for Sustainable, Intentional Living
  • The Year of Less: How I Stopped Shopping, Gave Away My Belongings, and Discovered Life Is Worth More Than Anything You Can Buy in a Store
  • Making Space, Clutter Free: The Last Book on Decluttering You'll Ever Need
  • The Home Edit: A Guide to Organizing and Realizing Your House Goals
  • Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World
  • The Joy of Less, A Minimalist Living Guide: How to Declutter, Organize, and Simplify Your Life
  • Decluttering at the Speed of Life: Winning Your Never-Ending Battle with Stuff
  • The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning: How to Free Yourself and your Family from a Lifetime of Clutter
  • Goodbye, Things: The New Japanese Minimalism
  • Joy at Work: Organizing Your Professional Life
  • Homebody: A Guide to Creating Spaces You Never Want to Leave
  • Slow: Simple Living for a Frantic World
  • 101 Ways to Go Zero Waste
Joshua Becker is the Wall Street Journal and USA Today best-selling author of The Minimalist Home, The More of Less, Clutterfree with Kids and Simplify.

He is the Founder and Editor of Becoming Minimalist, a website dedicated to intentional living visited by over 2 million readers every month with a social media following of over 2 million.

His blog was named by SUCCESS Magazine as one of the top

News & Interviews

“Have the courage to build your life around what is really most important to you.” 5 likes
“In our overcrowded homes today, most possessions are not truly “belongings.” They are only distracting us from the things that do belong.” 3 likes