Start by marking “Empty Arms: Coping with Miscarriage, Stillbirth and Infant Death” as Want to Read:
Empty Arms: Coping with Miscarriage, Stillbirth and Infant Death

Empty Arms: Coping with Miscarriage, Stillbirth and Infant Death

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  87 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Surviving the First Hours and Beyond

Revised and updated! This classic book, with over 350,000 in print, is one of the first given to newly bereaved parents to offer support and guidance in decision-making after their baby's death and to assist caregivers as they support families. Empty Arms encourages families to meet their babies and say hello before rushing to say goodby
Paperback, 30th, 104 pages
Published January 5th 2013 by Wintergreen Press (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Empty Arms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Empty Arms

Judith Praag
Mar 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another reviewer labeled this book with "common sense" and only gave it two stars. But it is common sense that helps parents who cannot hold their baby in their arms, cannot see the color of their baby's eyes, will never hear their baby cry. Common sense is what takes off and leaves us all alone when our foundation is shaken. Thank goodness for common sense and for the people who give it back to us when we need it most! This is one of the books that brought solace during period of grief and mour ...more
Ashley
Oct 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book. I highly recommend reading this. I got very emotional at times reading this. I was in a wonderful birth group with my first born son (after my first pregnancy loss) and we have stayed close through the 3 years after our children were all born. In that time one amazing woman lost her angel to SIDS and several of us have lost pregnancies (I personally lost 2 trying for our second born). One amazing woman just lost her beautiful son at the end of her pregnancy. I couldn't help but t ...more
Megan Beckelhimer
Nov 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Has some good points that I will definitely implement in my own life. That having been said, all the typos and grammatical errors were distracting. It's hard for me to focus on the point when I'm mentally correcting grammar.
Jillian
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
If you're considering reading this book and reading this review, I assume you've had a loss. And if that is the case, my deepest condolences to you. This is a position I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

I recently lost my son when he was stillborn at 39 weeks due to unknown reasons. This is the fourth infant death book I have read and it is my favorite. I actually wish I would have read it first. While it is fairly short, especially compared to the other ones I have read, I feel like it is very c
Jai
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was one of the books that I choice from a required reading list from my Pregnancy and Infant loss course. And while the author touched on points that we had talked about in the course the author,Sherokee Ilse, brought up other things that I never considered. I'm happy that she addressed ALL types of pregnancy loss as valid. While the book is an older version it is essential for someone experiencing loss and their families,friends and care givers. Everything she said make me realize the ...more
Kelly
Oct 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kelly by: social worker
The social worker at the hospital gave this to me. I love the author's personal notes. The first sentence hooked me, as it was the first time I heard a story like mine: "On November 2, 1981, one day past our baby's due date, we were told the most heartbreaking news parents can hear: 'I'm sorry, your baby has died. There's no heartbeat.'"
It's broken into many small sections that are easily identifiable. I liked the ease of finding topics when needed to hear about them.
Linda
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
This was a hospital handout I received after the death of my daughter. The poignant writing style is heart-touching and was an important part of my healing because it made me feel like I was not alone with my feelings of intense grief. I have come back to this book again and again when dealing with other similar losses. I highly recommend it to anyone who has lost a child.
Rebecca
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: miscarriage
Empty Arms was helpful with explaining the decisions that face parents at the time of the loss, has the style of a Q and A session, and provides further resources. This was a very factual book. It was helpful, but it was not the balm I was seeking for my soul. I was sad all over again after reading it.
Casey
Jan 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Casey by: Germantown Methodist Hospital
This helped me out tremendously when I was first suffering through the loss of my daughters. It is directed towards miscarriage, stillbirth, or infant death, so anyone suffering from a death other than those situations would not find much comfort.
Irene
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is short and provides support through the emotions and decisions following news of prenatal loss. I appreciated the straight-forward information regarding options regarding such practicalities as whether to hold your stillborn baby or options for burial/cremation of a miscarried child.
Tiffany Ankney
Feb 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was a huge help to me after my second miscarriage. I think it is also a great book for someone who has a friend or family member who has had a miscarriage. It really help you understand what they are going through.
Emily
Jun 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
Nothing surprising. Seems like common sense.
Bjarni
Jul 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Joan
Mar 27, 2009 rated it liked it
It was informative and had touching stories of those who have gone through this.
Silvia Corradin
Feb 05, 2012
Megan
rated it did not like it
Aug 30, 2014
Jordan Snajczuk
Oct 12, 2016
Emily
May 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Well intentioned, but I couldn't get past the countless typos and grammatical errors.
Jackie