Start by marking “Empty Arms: Hope and Support for Those Who Have Suffered a Miscarriage, Stillbirth, or Tubal Pregnancy” as Want to Read:
Empty Arms: Hope and Support for Those Who Have Suffered a Miscarriage, Stillbirth, or Tubal  Pregnancy

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  121 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Now with updated content.

“I’m not picking up a heartbeat.” These are the most dreaded words an expectant mother can hear. As joy and anticipation dissolve into confusion and grief, painful questions refuse to go away: Why me? Did I do something wrong? How will this affect my ability to have a family? What do I say to my children without scaring them? With the warmth and co
Published June 6th 2001 by Multnomah (first published March 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Empty Arms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Empty Arms

Jenny (Reading Envy)
Feb 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read2013
Surprisingly, or maybe not so surprisingly, there are not very many resources out there for women going through miscarriages. This is an old standard, one I had seen my mother give to women at church after they'd gone through it. When I found myself in the same situation, I called her, and she shipped one to me immediately. Good old Mom, demonstrating love through books since 1978.

I would recommend this for others with reservations, and I want to be very clear on why I would only give this 3.5 s
Megan
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: miscarriage
For an evangelical Christian, this would probably be a decent resource. The writing was good, and the book hit most of the topics a reader might want (ie: Why did this happen? What do I say to people? Is what I'm feeling now normal?). Various types of pregnancy loss are addressed, and the author herself lost a pregnancy at about five months.

Having now read Miscarriage: Women Sharing from the Heart, I can't help but feel like "Empty Arms" is lacking in comparison. Also, having read What Was Lost
Becca
Aug 11, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a good resource for thinking through pregnancy/infant loss. It's a little dated but most of the information is still valid. I didn't completely agree on the theological points, but I'd still recommend this because it's written by someone who has "been there" and includes stories from others who have been there too. I particularly found the chapter on others' responses helpful. It reads a little like a counseling textbook and a little like a conversation with a friend who can empathize wi ...more
Erin
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one took me awhile to get through. Not because it was bad, but because I needed time to take it in as I was ready. It was hard to read as it had no answers, but it will allow you to come out of the fog and remember that no one really does. I highly recommend this book to anyone who has gone through a miscarriage at any stage of pregnancy because I pray that through it you will find hope again as I did... Or maybe just a feeling that someone else actuallt understands. It still hurts, but res ...more
Lisa Jacobson
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Where do you turn when you suffer such a deep and personal loss as that of a miscarriage? Pam Vredevelt's book, Empty Arms, offers both encouraging hope and strong support for any woman who is going through the grief and pain of having lost a child. Not only does she offer tender spiritual and emotional support, she offers practical help and insight as well. I highly recommend this book to any mom who is looking for healing and comfort through this difficult season of loss.
Rachel
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pam Vredevelt came to my home with flowers and gave me a copy of her book after hearing I'd had a miscarriage. Her compassion and heart for the grieving is genuinely evident, and it shines throughout her book. She has created a very helpful guide for bereft mothers trying to navigate the rocky road of grief after the loss of a child. I highly recommend it.
Psflint
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good book with lots of good information to help cope, as the title says, with miscarriage, stillbirth, or tubal pregnancy. Having experienced the death of my 14-year-old son, I would say it has good information for dealing with that as well although the circumstances are somewhat different.
The book is very easy to read and is very geared toward those with Christian beliefs.
Tianna Wright
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For those that have grieved through losing a baby yet to be born, or those in the process of it, I couldn't recommend this book more highly! Like life breathed into my soul- spiritual encouragement right alongside practical answers and help on how to help your body and heart heal.
Caroline Niziol
May 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Short, helpful read for women (and their husbands) who have experienced loss. I liked the holistic approach but would have liked more science and more information about how it's nearly impossible for women to cause a miscarriage during the normal course of life. I'd recommend this book.
Jacqueline Layne
Very helpful book for those who have suffered a miscarriage
Kara Nichols
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really helpful.
Read1000books
very helpful
Lynda
Jan 09, 2013 rated it liked it
helped me. a little too emotional for my taste. But that is all on me :)
Shalise Benjamin
Aug 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is great for those of you who have lost a baby or had a miscarriage or who have had to deal with this suffering.
Jessica Bruce
Good book for helping others cope with miscarriage and still birth.
Heather
Jul 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
To read and re-read. Lots of helpful, inspiring stories to help restore hope.
Jamie Ruppert
Oct 03, 2016
Christi Stains
Mar 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Pam's reputation as a sought-after counselor, popular conference speaker, and best-selling author is built on her ability to explore real life issues with authenticity, warmth, and humor. Compelling stories, engaging faith, and perceptive insight give Pam the rare ability to inspire and empower audiences with practical tools for long lasting change.

Pam is married to her best friend, John, and has
More about Pam Vredevelt...