Start by marking “No Comment: The Major Crimes Team - A DI Harry Evans novella” as Want to Read:
No Comment: The Major Crimes Team - A DI Harry Evans novella

No Comment: The Major Crimes Team - A DI Harry Evans novella

When a single mother, Julie Simon, is found in her kitchen with a stab wound to her stomach, Cumbria’s Major Crimes Team are handed the case. Under the supervision of DI Campbell and witîh advice from his former DI, Harry Evans, DC Amir Bhaki fights to discover who assaulted an innocent woman and left her with life-threatening injuries.
Nothing is as it first appears and w
Published March 22nd 2018 by Caffeine Nights Publishing

To ask other readers questions about No Comment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Comment

Start your review of No Comment: The Major Crimes Team - A DI Harry Evans novella
Berit☀️✨
4.5 Major Crime Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟.5

Wow Graham Smith sure did pack a lot into 99 pages... how he was able to craft this amazing plot and not lose anything in character development in such a short novella is beyond me.... major props to Mr. Smith I’ve read 400 page books where I never got a handle on the characters.... this book is part of a series that focuses on a major crime team.... Harry Evans was once in charge of the team but now is acting as a consultant, the new head of the team Campbell is a li
Dash fan
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5☆ Packs a Punch for a Short Novella!

Wow oh wow considering No Comment is a short Story it certainly packs a punch.
It's fast paced, throws you straight into the crime scene, the procedures are exciting and informative, the characters are well written and I can see them getting better as the series develops.

There are secrets, lies, mystery, sex, potential murder, gripping story.

As this is a nice short read I don't want to give anything away as the blurb gives enough insight.

What I will say is the
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

He knew better than to assume that a good family meant he was a good citizen. Some of the most evil people he’d encountered were from decent families. They would present one face to the world and another to their victims. Their status in life a shield they would hide behind until it was time to swing a sword in private.

That one sentence about female cops explained to Campbell just why such an outwardly attractive man needed to use Tinder to get laid.

The public couldn’t, and proba
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
No Comment follows on from where the last book in the series finishes. The author has given plenty of background though so I really believe that readers will not feel like they are missing out if they haven’t read any other books in the series. As it is a great series though you are seriously missing out if you don’t read them.

We are taken right into the nitty gritty of things with the attack on Julia Simon. Well from that point on the author had me hook, line and sinker!

I love how the author in
LadyJBookishNook
For all my reviews, visit my blog at http://ladyjbookishnook.blogspot.com

I am going to start and end this review with one word…WOW!!

This is my first time reading anything by author Graham Smith and I was impressed! No Comment is the fifth book in the DI Harry Evans series which is set in Cumbria. I was able to enjoy this novella without having read the previous books. But I will be going back and reading the rest in the series.

First and foremost, as an

Susan Hampson
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well the title may be No Comment but OMG I am shouting from the roof tops about this book, well to be honest about the whole DI Harry Evans series. Graham Smith has again delivered a full on story where not a word is wasted. There is no fillers, no frills just one crazy, get the job done, unorthodox team of pure investigation and determination. I can’t even say Lauren without smiling, just love this anything goes lady to get the bad guys.
Now I do have to admit to being partial to a little DI Har
Yvonne
When Julie Simon's is found stabbed in the stomach, DC Amir Bhaki is the first detective on the scene.  His gut instinct tells him this is more than a burglary gone wrong, the whole crime scene looks not quite right.The new DI in charge is Campbell, he has big shoes to fill as he follows in the footsteps of his predecessor, as along with his team of DC Phollips and Chrisholm they work the case with assistance of Harry as they find themselves in a confusing case.

For a novella this doesn't half pa
Noelle
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Eeeeeeeeeek! It seems like FOREVER that we have been waiting for the next in the Harry Evans series and then Mr Smith teases us with this fantastic, wee novella! NAUGHTY! But never fear, as a full novel is out in May and that, my bookish friends, is SUPERB!
I was thrilled to be back in Cumbria with the Major Crimes Team and that rogue (now ex DI) Harry Evans where we were met with secrets, shame, guilt, the protection of loved ones, breach of trust and the search for the truth. #AllTheBOOMS
Mr Smi
Caroline Vincent
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A woman brutally attacked in her own home – her son imprisoned, and her sister appalled at the double life the victim was leading brings DI Campbell and his team in contact with dark criminals whilst DI Harry Evans cannot help but crack his brain to get to the bottom of it…

| Introduction |
DI Harry Evans

Julie Simmons has no way of escaping the nightmare as the knife approaches her abdomen, about to slice through her flesh. Still, she does her best to focus on the appearances of her attackers. Wil
Claire
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Harry Evans had left the Major Crimes Team and this is the first case the team have to face without their former DI. Are they up to the challenge?! Can they find Julie’s attacker? What’s Harry going to do with all this spare time on his hands?? So many questions and guess what? You can find out the answers by reading No Comment.

No Comment opens with a rather distressing chapter; it’s brutal but I’ve come to expect that from Mr Smith, particularly after his previous Evans novel I Know Your Secret
Livia Sbarbaro
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A gripping novella that will take you into a dark place

Juie Simon sits in her kitchen..terrified..Someone takes one of her own kitchen knives and stabs her in her stomach..When DI Campbell and DC Amir Bhaki arrive at the scene they are perplexed as to what could have gone on ...Bhaki phones his old boss DI Harry Evans who is now a consultant with the force...Then the team begin to look into Julies past with no stone left unturned...but who would commit such crime...as Julie lies in the hospital.
Shell Baker
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of Harry Evans and it feels like ages since we have caught up with him. But I am glad to report it has certainly been worth the wait. And for those of you that haven't read any of this series you won't be disappointed.

The author brings us a page turning cracking story which is only 99 pages long with a jam packed gritty and twisted plot. One of the things I love about this author is he always gives us a well writen on the edge of your seat read.

Single mother Julie Simon who is fou
Emma
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have had the pleasure of reading and reviewing a previous DI Harry Evans novella, Matching the Evidence plus the latest full-length novel in the series, I Know Your Secret. More recently Smith has been focussing on his Jake Boulder series (which I also love) so I was delighted to hear Harry and the team were to make a very welcome, long-awaited return.

Smith has managed to pack one heck of an almighty punch into this latest Major Crimes Team novella. It was so good to be reacquainted with the C
Vicki - I Love Reading
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
Outstanding read, as always.
Col
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, s
Synopsis/blurb....

When a single mother, Julie Simon, is found in her kitchen with a stab wound to her stomach, Cumbria’s Major Crimes Team are handed the case. Under the supervision of DI Campbell and with advice from his former DI, Harry Evans, DC Amir Bhaki fights to discover who assaulted an innocent woman and left her with life-threatening injuries.

Nothing is as it first appears and when the team looks into Julie’s life they uncover a hidden sex-life that may just hold the key to the identit
Alexina
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
No Comment is a novella to fit in with Harry leaving the teams as their boss, and coming in under his new role of consultant.
A grippingly clever read, that packed a punch within its pages.
Highly recommend you read these in order - as well as being a brilliant series you get the full benefit of the teams background and working relationships.
It was great to see them back, even within the novella you get a sense of unease. It packs a punch within the shortness of the story, so don't be fooled by th
Best Crime Books & More
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This novella/short story is just under 100 pages, and although these sorts of short books aren't always my cup of tea, this was a really enjoyable bite sized read.

The Major Crimes Team are handed a case involving the stabbing of a single mother Julia Simon. Even though a short story Smith manages to pack a fair bit into this latest installment. This is almost like a mini catch up to see where the team are and what they are up to.

We see DI John Campbell trying to replace the now retired Harry E
Julie Simon
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book certainly doesn’t feel like a novella, so much packed in to keep you hooked. Great to have Harry back, even though he’s now an ex detective. His team are still loyal and still need his help and long may this continue. Seems like forever since the last book in this series but within a few pages you remember everything about the team and how they never give up on any case they are involved in.
The first chapter grabs you by the throat and the pace doesn’t let up at all.
Yet another great
Cassie May
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Reviewed on behalf of 3 Degrees of Fiction Blog
I’m a fan of crime novels. Especially when it is crime only without a lot of love story mixed within.
This one is a pure crime book and can be read as a standalone. However, more often than not I had the impression, I was missing huge chunks of a story that took place before this book. I felt that I was missing a lot of character development, since there was almost none in this novella. I get that it was only a short book, but a little bit of develo
Chasing Dreams
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wasn’t quite sure what to expect when I took on No Comment to review. In my experience, crime detective novellas more often than not go one of two ways: boring, OTT details with little character development and a predictable plot; or too little details with a promising beginning, and then a weak ending. Very rarely does an author get it right in such a short length of space.

No Comment caught me by surprise. It was short, sharp, with an interesting twist, and it packed a punch on character deve
Sharon
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Now, I am not usually a fan of novellas as I’m a kind of greedy reader, I tend to want a full plate in front of me and not a starter! But having read all of the novella’s that Graham has written for this series let me tell you this man packs a full 3 course gourmet menu into one packed dish! And “No Comment” is no different!

What a #KillerHook for an opening, I was immediately grabbed and thrust right into the heart of the story: Julie Simon is being burgled but the thieves are not interested in
Abbie
Shelves: march-2018
The irrepressible Harry Evans is back in Graham Smith’s novella No Comment and we see him in a different role following his retirement from the Major Crimes Team. Acting as an advisor to the team who have a murder case in which a single mother has been found stabbed in the stomach in her kitchen, Evans and the rest of the team quickly discover that nothing is as it seems.

Those who are familiar with the series of books will be pleased to know that DI Harry Evans continues to play an important par
Rachel
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well, what to say about this novella? I don't read a lot of crime as other genres, but this was again part of my blogging out of my comfort zone. I felt like this novella was in between books, so although I understood the plot, I am sure I would have loved it more if I had read the rest of the books. This was a very packed plot for a novella, and I really enjoyed it. I have made a note to check out the rest of Smith's books, and delve deeper into his world, and his characters. I really enjoyed t ...more
Carole Gourlay
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can’t believe I’ve missed this fantastic author, and I’m so glad I’ve managed to read all the Harry Evans series. It’s time they brought these sort of coppers back to sort out crime!!!

This novella was just wonderful and I whizzed through it into the early hours. Can’t wait for the next instalment.
Sandra
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short and very sweet - the telling of it, at least. And also the glimpses of Harry Evans as he watches his team from the sidelines.
Ellen
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
No Comment is the third novella and fifth book in the DI Harry Evans series; it was great to be back with the Cumbrian Major Crime Team who are investigating a case that appears to be aggravated burglary gone wrong. Single mother Julie Simon has been left fighting for her life after a stab wound to her stomach but there is a lot more to this investigation than meets the eye. Julie’s son is serving time in a young offender’s prison after being found with a stash of drugs but he denies any knowled ...more
Jen
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-challenge
This may be a novella but, by 'eck, it packs one hell of a punch into the mere 100 pages or so. For the uninitiated, i.e. me, Harry Evans is a retired DI rom Cumbria's Major Crimes team. This book find Harry in a bit of a mess emotionally and physically, the reasons for which become clear as you read the story. I've not read any of the prior books so I guess, for me, there were potentially some minor spoilers in terms of the recap of Harry's former life, but nothing that will stop me from enjoyi ...more
Donna Maguire

I have enjoyed all of the books I have read so far by Graham Smith so he had a lot to live up to when I started reading No Comment...

Well now I have finished the book I have to say I loved it, it was a really quick (99 pages) and very enjoyable read - I would definitely say that this one can easy be read as a stand alone but once you have read this, you are going to want to check out the rest of the books featuring DI Harry Evans - you have been warned!!

Th
Aisha Washington
Oct 09, 2018
John Smith
May 05, 2019

• The Fear
  • Deadly Secrets (Detective Erika Foster, #6)
  • Under the Woods (The Forensic Files #5)
  • Keeper (Emily Roy & Alexis Castells, #2)
  • Dying Truth (D.I. Kim Stone, #8)
  • The Hangman’s Hold (DCI Matilda Darke, #4)
  • Uncommon Cruelty (DI Gus McGuire #4)
  • The Puppet Show (Washington Poe, #1)
  • Pressure
  • The Adulterer's Wife
  • Seeking Justice (Lorne Simpkins, #15.5)
  • Faceless (DI Rosalind Kray, #1)
  • Abel's Revenge
  • Dead Watch
  • Mark of the Devil (Inspector Jim Carruthers, #3)
  • The Babysitter
  • The Key to Death's Door
  • My Little Eye (Starke & Bell, #1)