Start by marking “Understanding and Promoting Transformative Learning: A Guide for Educators of Adults” as Want to Read:

Jack Mezirow's theory of transformative learning has developed over nearly two decades into a comprehensive and complex description of how learners construe, validate, and reformulate the meaning of their experiences. But what exactly is transformative learning? How does it differ from other concepts of adult learning? How can educators actively foster transformative learn ...more
Published October 4th 1994 by Jossey-Bass

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding and Promoting Transformative Learning

Start your review of Understanding and Promoting Transformative Learning: A Guide for Educators of Adults
Mary
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
This fit the bill for questions about Mezirow’s theory and practical methodology for promoting transformation. It also expanded on questions of why some adults do not experience transformation even when the conditions are in place.
Ilana
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though I was reading this for a thesis, I found myself enjoying the accessible style and confiding way Cranton wrote here. She drew me in and inspired me.
Yeva
Dec 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book inspired me more than anything has in a long time. It made me think and made me change the way I teach. The book is interesting and informative, and still it contains great depth and wisdom. For anyone who works with adult learners, I want to say, "Find this book! It is fascinating."
Nicole
Aug 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: learning-design
Overall, I enjoyed Cranton's book. She has a readable, accessible style and she does a handy job at integrating her discussion of theory and practice. As an outsider to adult education who finds kinship with transformative learning for many reasons, it's nice to find a primer with both heft and practicality.
Kyle
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy to follow book by Prof. Cranton. She brings Dr. Mezirow's teaching to a new audience and makes it accesssible.
Penny
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A required reading for an unfortunate choice of courses on my part. This is a long repetitive book that I will endeavor to forget as soon as this blasted course is over.
Julie
Mar 18, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overview of the theory - would have liked to see more examples and ideas for implementation.
Wish there was a book specifically about using this idea in health education.
Julie
Jul 10, 2012
Gayle
Dec 25, 2015
Carrie Ross
rated it did not like it
Sep 23, 2012
Renee Leehim
Feb 01, 2019
Mike E
Dec 14, 2011

• Shades of Grey (Shades of Grey, #1)
  • Day After Night