Start by marking “Rabbit Hole” as Want to Read:
Rabbit Hole

Rabbit Hole

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  6,406 Ratings  ·  186 Reviews
“David Lindsay-Abaire has crafted a drama that’s not just a departure but a revelation—an intensely emotional examination of grief, laced with wit, insightfulness, compassion and searing honesty.” –David Rooney, Variety

“A beautifully observed new play blessed with David Lindsay-Abaire’s customary grace and wit.” –Ben Brantley, New York Times

“With Rabbit Hole, David Lindsay
Published September 1st 2006 by Theatre Communications Group (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Rabbit Hole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rabbit Hole

Daniel
Jul 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: plays, theatre
So much anticipation when I started out to read this. So many glowing reviews, a Pulitzer Prize, a very good playwright... and I finished it with a sighed, "Eh."

The writing was crisp, clear. THe characters seemed to be real people working through grief in their idividual ways. And that, is what the play is about...how we work through grief, to keep living when a loved one isn't.

Of course the loved one had to be a child. The grief for a child is so much more different than the grief for a parent
Malcolm Everett
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I didn't really mean to read this play. After noticing that it was going to be performed at a local theatre, I stumbled upon a PDF copy online and couldn't stop reading. The story blossoms gradually, petal by petal, giving the reader a clear understanding of the questions posed: Is there a "correct" way to grieve? How can we communicate with our loved ones if our methods of coping differ dramatically?

The scenes are amazingly easy to visualize and hear. Every line of dialogue is spoken by a real
Michael Lindy
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
When I was first thinking of "Rabbit Hole"'s title, I felt that it wasn't really appropriate. But then I realized that when I was thinking about the phrase "down the rabbit hole", I was thinking of some fantastic adventure like one that would be experienced in "Alice In Wonderland". When I thought about it more, I realized that David Lindsay-Abaire's play was probably even more deserving of the phrase than the adventures experienced by Alice. For starters, the rabbit hole in this play is sudden ...more
Johnny
When I was living in New York, the best thing about my time there was seeing great non-musical plays. Ever since college, I've been heading into the city and going on these whirlwind tours of Broadway musicals, easily packing five shows into one weekend. When I moved there and started working in the industry, I had the opportunity to see LOTS of non-musical shows both on Broadway and off, and I realized how truly fantastic these shows can be. I've always been a fan of theater in any form, but I ...more
Mad Dog
Feb 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
This play EVOKES much sadness and STIMULATES much thinking (how would I act if I was in the scenes of this play). In that way, this play is hugely impactful. This play shows five different perspectives on tragedy (the death of a four year old son) that are fairly different from each other, giving many readers something concrete to latch onto in his/her own thinking. I focused most on husband/wife perspectives (the main perspectives) as I am a husband and a father.

(view spoiler)
Tung
Jan 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: drama
The 2007 Pulitzer-winner for Best Drama, this play is a marvelous meditation on grief and the different ways people can cope (or not cope) with their loss. Becca and Howie Corbett lose their four-year-old son in a tragic accident, and the play is a series of scenes in their life eight months later. Howie puts up a façade where he copes with his grief by regularly attending group therapy and trying to move on with his life. We see in one scene, however, when his wife is upstairs, he sneaks out a ...more
Annie
Jan 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A sad play, consisting of sparsely written dialogue, manages to understatedly convey the range of emotions humans experience when grieving and how different people grieve in different ways. In this story, Howie and Becca are a married couple whose son was killed when he ran out into the street chasing their dog and was struck by a car. The play begins sometime after the accident and casts a lens on how Howie and Becca are coping with their drastically altered lives. There is a supporting cast of ...more
Erica
Apr 24, 2008 rated it liked it
meh.
Rebecca McNutt
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family, death, fiction
Rabbit Hole was unbelievably sad, but also unbelievably unforgettable, with emotional and vibrant writing and complex characters.
Anastasia
Sep 12, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Actors/directors
hmmmm.... I'd have to see this produced well to really gauge its potential. I appreciate that the story handles a sad family without sentimentality but the plot's simplicity left me wanting more.
Vincent Scarpa
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I picked this up because I'm such a fan of John Cameron Mitchell's film adaptation, and I guess this is one of those rare occasions wherein an adaptation is infinitely more affecting than the source text. That said, I was aware, while reading, that the prose is fairly simple and does entrust a lot of the emotional heavy lifting to the actors. I'm not an actor, but I suppose that might be liberating?

What baffles, though, is that the text itself won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama. It simply isn't a
Andreea Marin
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this play. It is so complex in such a simple way. I wrote my thoughts/analysis on it, but fair warning there are A LOT of spoilers. This is what I thought: https://infinitetext.blog/2017/10/22/...
Sofia Brito
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Emotional. Heart-breaking! Every character stays with you become part of your world because it could be your friend, a family member or your next door neighbour. A fabulous play about loss, bereavement and new beginnings.
Kyle
Read more reviews like this over at my blog, Living Is Reading!

Since I recently lost my grandfather a little over two months ago, I decided that Rabbit Hole would be an interesting read, and something that I wouldn’t have too much difficulty connecting to. Apparently, I was right in that assumption, since even though this is a short read, it’s still a worthwhile read, and has me interested enough in checking out the movie adaptation starring Nicole Kidman.

Now, plays aren’t my natural reading s
Kim
Jun 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: drama
The storyline is simple and there are no great eruptions to signal the climax of the couple's grief. But that's what I really liked about this play. It takes courage to deal with something as abstract as another person's grief, and certainly something as complicated as grief over the death of a child. I started to read the playwright's note to directors and actors but stopped because its tone seemed self-defensive. A simple plot in the theatre can be moving, and I found this one to be so, and is ...more
Sylvia Valevicius
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a play I read with my play-reading group. The writing is brilliant, seemingly simplistic dialogue, but the undercurrents are strong, and the insight into the stages of grief and differing human behaviour is worthy of high praise. Given that the issue was the mourning of a loss of a child, I was nervous to 'go there', but it became almost a 'spiritual' satisfying experience. I read it once alone, and cried several times. It felt cathartic. And when we read it in the group, it was exciting ...more
Yasamin Rezaei
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Yasamin by: Mohammad Mirzaali
Shelves: favorites
دلم می خواد بشینم دو صفحه کامل راج ب این نمایشنامه و آدماش و دردشون و در عین حال شوخ-طبعی شون و فاصله هاشون و طعنه هاشون و گریه های نکرده شون بنویسم ...
اما جاش ترجیح می دم خیلی قاطع ؛خوندنش رو بهتون پیشنهاد کنم
Brian Murray
It is a simple premise, but the playwright explores the emotions of losing a child in its full complexity. These are fascinating characters with honest and compelling dialogue.
Sydney Young
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Raw and powerful. No one responds the same to grief. There is no road map. There isn't even a guide on how to help someone through it. But with patience and love, we persevere.
Dawn Stanton
Apr 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
no connection to any of the characters....this just read flat and even...didn't reach in to pull my heart strings at all and i really wanted it to....
Taylor Hudson
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: plays
A delicate and profound examination of grief with just the right amount of humor and hope to keep us going. This script could quickly become a lifetime special in heavy hands, but if played right should be understated and simple. I'd love to see a good production of this show because a good ugly cry can be so cathartic.
Paul
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: plays
A fellow playwright suggested I read "Rabbit Hole" to learn how to write dialogue which avoids a certain subject. Good advice.
Megan Page
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Heartbreaking. I really did enjoy it, but I did feel something missed by reading it rather than watching it. Hope to watch it soon--the film or the play.
Louise Tripp
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Both humorous and tragic...captures the way people really talk, complete with interruptions and trailing off.
Megan Holland
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jacob Gorski
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I literally use this text to make myself cry when I feel emotionally constipated. When she slaps the woman in the grocery store!!
Sara-Margaret
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful! I want to do this show now. Powerful portrayal of grief and life after loss.
Tiffany Manning
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
The characters seemed to be real people working through grief in their individual ways. And that's what the play is about....how to work through grief and go on living when a loved one isn't.

The plot's simplicity left me wanting more.
Allie
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sad sad sad but still not as sad as it could be, given the subject matter
Katya Zabelski
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theatre
I thought this play was pretty good! Not life changing by any means and a little plain for my liking, however, the characters had a lot of depth and it was well written, I sat down and enjoyed it in a matter of two hours. Would recommend for someone who just started reading theatre.
  • Ruined
  • I Am My Own Wife
  • Dinner With Friends
  • The Clean House and Other Plays
  • The Goat, or Who is Sylvia?
  • Next to Normal
  • Doubt
  • How I Learned to Drive
  • The Pillowman
  • Anna in the Tropics
David Lindsay-Abaire is an American playwright and lyricist. He received the Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 2007 for his play, Rabbit Hole.
More about David Lindsay-Abaire

• Ilsa: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Into the Free
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Persian Boy (Alexander the Great, #2)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Get It Together, Delilah!
  • Mademoiselle Chanel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette (P.S.)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Whisper Beach
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Isabella: Braveheart of France
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Queen of Swords (Wilderness, #5)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Orphan Master's Son
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Sisters One, Two, Three
    $4.99 $1.99
  • This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance!
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Miramont's Ghost
  • I Am Livia
    $3.49 $0.99
“Nat:

I don't know. The weight of it, I guess. At some point it becomes bearable. It turns into something you can crawl out from under. And carry around--like a brick in your pocket. And you forget it every once in a while, but then you reach in for whatever reason and there it is: "Oh right. That." Which can be awful. But not all the time. Sometime's it kinda ... Not that you like it exactly, but it's what you have instead of your son, so you don't wanna let go of it either. So you carry it around. And it doesn't go away, which is ...

Becca: