Start by marking “CISSP Certification All-in-One Exam Guide” as Want to Read:
CISSP Certification All-in-One Exam Guide

CISSP Certification All-in-One Exam Guide

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  557 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
Statistics can be misleading, but last year, security professionals who earned (ISC)2 s CISSP certification reported earning an average $7,140 raise as a result. That s the second highest payback of 37 credentials studied by Certification magazine, and it reflects a first-year ROI of 7.9 to 1.

Over the past two years, CISSP has clearly emerged

Hardcover, Second Edition, 926 pages
Published June 23rd 2003 by McGraw-Hill/Osborne Media (first published December 26th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about CISSP Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about CISSP Certification All-in-One Exam Guide

Epsilon
Aug 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice and detailed review of all CISSP domains.
If you have previous knowledge in a certain area and you're familiar with the concepts you can get easily bored with the elaborate examples and probably will skip them.
I liked the overall presentation style.
The only annoying thing were the 'funny' remarks at the beginning of each topic.
Ben
May 28, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical-stuff
Holy dull reading Batman. I'm a CISSP, and this was a good book to put yourself to sleep - even for a security nut like me.
Feb 15, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Security Professionals
Okay, not everyone's favorite subject. I'm reading this to help get a security certification - but it's surprising how the author makes this stuff interesting. 1200 pages....oy.

After finally finishing the book I have to say that I don't regret the read at all. It was very well done, but it did have some problems. I think the diagrams provided in the book really needed some help. At times I sat there staring at them for several minutes trying to understand how it related to the text that referenc
Prattle On, Boyo
With regard to content, Harris' CISSP Guide is, in a word, outstanding. CISSP material is on the dry side so the book breaks the monotony by interspersing the content with amusing anecdotes. Note: If you are one of those people who just cannot accept that a technical book can be anything other than *dry* & boring, then go buy Krutz & Vines CISSP Prep Guide. While I found that title informative it was *extremely* challenging to stay awake to read it.

In all matters of practicality, reading
Jun 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As this is a professional exam prepatory book, my experience is pretty much guaranteed to be unique and the following review is based on the utility of the guide rather than the information provided within.

This book is the end-all, be-all of professional security knowledge. In its exhaustive coverage of the CBK, you will find wonderful anecdotes, derails, and diversions written in by Shon and the other contributors over the past editions. The cover says that the book is to be used to prepare for
Sian
Mar 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shon Harris has some funny Techie wit in this very long guide. She does a great job of explaining all the material and I really appreciate that it is written from a woman's point of view. She uses females in all her examples which I have never encountered in technical novels before. I only gave it four stars because it is a technical novel and well they are not the most interesting things to read but she does a great job and covers it all. A must read for CISSP candidates. ;-)
Kath
Jul 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great and comprehensive book for the CISSP. I also loved the accompanying test CD. If you are studying for the CISSP this is a must have. I must admit, it's a bit overwhelming at over 1000 pages, but the practice tests help identify what you need to focus on.

I would highly recommend this book.
Kevin
Jan 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
1200 pages of pure joy. The author is good. Made it less tedious. The subject is IT security. Not the novel you curl up in front of fire with. Nor with a glass of wine. Alcohol and textbooks don't mix. Although if I don't pass the exam that this is for then there will definitely be a mix of textbook, alcohol and fire.
Franjessca
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lot of information in this book for CISSP. Maybe became I'm a computer geek, is the reason why I read it ALL and found it all very informative (and exciting…yup proud computer geek here). Thanks to the Navy for already teaching me some of the stuff that was in this book.

Looking forward to taking this certification exam, hopefully soon. =)
David Downey
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly covers how to think like the test; but won't help you at all if you are looking for test prep questions to memorize for the test. Trains you to think through the sometimes 3 to 4 tiered questions!
Andre Correa
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extensive, excellent. A great study guide and on the job reference. But it alone won't pass you the exam. Experience and interpretation skills are necessary for getting along well with the exam questions.
David
OK, Don't expect any reviews from me for awhile. I need to plow through this 1200 page technical manual. If I have any intriguing fiction in the house, it will only distract me from what I need to do.

Back in a couple months.....
Vaughn
Jul 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book, Shon Harris has covered a lot of ground (it really is all encompassing) but has done so in an easy to read, and even enjoyable manner. My only complaint was the book's binding -- if only it was as high quality as Shon's writing.

I highly recommend this book over similar products.
Leslie
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: info-security
This book is packed with information. Highly recommend for anyone studying for the CISSP
Hector Mansilla Arias Mansilla
Excelente referencia, muy gráfico y claro en su redacción.
Joe
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: network, security
Book is a little verbose and long. I did not get to finish it yet but have read most of it
Stephen Hargrove
Much of the information in this book is either out-dated or wrong. It used to be the gold standard but is now ... I'm not sure what it is.
Christian
nice.. nice..
Jeniffer Mazariegos
Finally finished reading this book. I love Shon Harris.
Lana
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank goodness I'm done with this book! Back to real reading...
Joe
Mar 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very thorough, well done, and surprisingly interesting. Not for most people on my friends list, though.

Only read 278 of 1145 pages. Still passed the test!
Dave Nelson
Jun 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably one of the most comprehensive study guides available. While you'll want a second or thrid resource to study with, this could (and should) be one of your main study tools.
Greg Parrott
LOONNNGGGGG! But the text was worth reading prior to taking the exam, which I luckily passed on the first try!
Takedown
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most comprehensive security book period. Even if you don't plan to study for CISSP this book worth a look. Book cover all range of topics related to security.
Raghu
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delhi Irc
Location: GG5 IRC
Accession No: DL027621
Wm
Mar 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
The most useful study guide for the exam.
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech-books
Great technical details. Could not have passed the CISSP without this book.
Dan Finley
Apr 25, 2007 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Marc lets get certified. J.T. you have any interest in getting this cert?
  • CEH Certified Ethical Hacker All-in-One Exam Guide
  • Security Engineering: A Guide to Building Dependable Distributed Systems
  • Hacking: The Next Generation
  • Security in Computing
  • Dissecting The Hack: The F0rb1dd3n Network
  • Practical UNIX & Internet Security
  • The IDA Pro Book: The Unofficial Guide to the World's Most Popular Disassembler
  • Practical Malware Analysis: The Hands-On Guide to Dissecting Malicious Software
  • Security Metrics: Replacing Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt
  • Programming in Python 3: A Complete Introduction to the Python Language
  • Blue Team Handbook: A Condensed Field Guide for the Cyber Security Incident Responder
  • Google Hacking for Penetration Testers, Volume 1
  • Digital Evidence and Computer Crime: Forensic Science, Computers and the Internet
  • File System Forensic Analysis
  • Data Mining: Practical Machine Learning Tools and Techniques (Morgan Kaufmann Series in Data Management Systems)
  • Counter Hack Reloaded: A Step-By-Step Guide to Computer Attacks and Effective Defenses
  • Modern Database Management
  • Gray Hat Python: Python Programming for Hackers and Reverse Engineers

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“When using symmetric algorithms, the sender and receiver use the same key for encryption and decryption functions.” 1 likes
“A honeypot is a computer set up as a sacrificial lamb on the network. The system is not locked down and has open ports and services enabled. This is to entice a would-be attacker to this computer instead of attacking authentic production systems on a network.” 0 likes