Start by marking “Pete the Cat Checks Out the Library” as Want to Read:
Pete the Cat Checks Out the Library

Pete the Cat Checks Out the Library

(Pete the Cat)

New York Timesbestselling author and illustrator James Dean shows us how much fun reading can be inPete the Cat Checks Out the Library. Includes over 30 groovy stickers!

It's Pete the Cat's first time at the library. He gets a fun tour of library and evenreads a few super cool stories while he's there.

Without even leaving the library, Pete goes on so many groovy adventures.
Published October 2nd 2018 by HarperFestival

To ask other readers questions about Pete the Cat Checks Out the Library, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pete the Cat Checks Out the Library

Start your review of Pete the Cat Checks Out the Library
Candace
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pete the Cat visits the library for the first time with his mother. The librarian gives him a library card and a tour of the library. He looks at all the different books and wonders which one to read. Each book Pete reads, he goes on an adventure from a stunt pilot to a powerful wizard to a scientist, even an explorer. Pete the Cat loves reading and thinks the library is super groovy.

This book introduces children to the library. A child can go on adventures with Pete. It will entice children to
La Coccinelle
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is my first real experience with Pete the Cat (aside from a few pages of a Christmas e-book that was so corrupted that it was unreadable). I have to say, I do not like the illustrations. It's a shame, because the story in this one isn't too bad.

Pete goes to the library for the first time. Then he sets about looking at books, both fiction and non-fiction, and imagines himself as being part of those books. This makes up the bulk of the narrative, with Pete imagining himself as various
Lori
Dec 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Pete the Cat discovers all sorts of adventures at the library as he picks up and reads different books. It's a cute series book featuring two of my favorite things--a cat and a library.
Anthony
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Pete the Cat's mother takes him to the library, and he receives his very own library card. After a tour, Pete the Cat selects several books to read. Each book that Pete the Cat reads, he imagines himself as a character in the book. Pete the Cat discovers that the Library is a very groovy place.
Lynn
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice Pete the Cat book about going to the library. More about a library than an entertaining read. I read the read aloud book. It has good narration but not inspiring. The book is intended to be used in a library lesson.
Bethe
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Usual Pete fare - this time at an adventure to the library where he learns you can read about anything in a library book!
Elizabeth Perez
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read_to_my_kids
I love this one and had to rate it because my kids love it so much and I think that it makes them want to read more <3
Caitlin Henderson
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I just freaking love Pete the Cat.
And libraries.
Natalie
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it

This title does a good job of illustrating how you can find different types of books at the library and how they can take you on adventures. I just wish it highlighted more of the non-book related things you can also do at a library.
Sarah Wiwchar
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: younger kids visiting/borrowing from the library for the first time
I really liked this book as a read-aloud with K before they borrowed books for the first time.

I read this with PreK for their first visit to the library. It helps talk about different book adventures you can go on when reading. I asked them what kind of book adventures they would like to go on.
A Allen
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I generally don't like Pete the Cat books, but my students ask me to read them again and again. This is actually one that I quite like! Pete gets his very own library card and the librarian shows him around. Then, he reads lots of different books and uses his imagination. He also decides that one book is too scary and he puts it back. Overall, this is a sweet one that I will actually enjoy reading to the class and I would be willing to buy as part of our permanent collection if this Pete the Cat ...more
Bryce
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This might be my son's favorite book. He (and I) first learned about Pete the Cat when he started attending his developmental delay pre-k when he was 3. Somehow I never found these books on our library visits before that.

My son absolutely loves this book. We got it for him for Christmas, but he still wants to get it from the library (it's not there).

Have a book loving kid? This book is great. You want your kid to love books and introduce them to the greatness of the library? This is a good
Karen
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I must admit that I am not a huge fan of Pete the cat; however, 'Pete the cat checks out the Library' caught my attention because I love libraries. Libraries are magical places that contain the opportunity to learn new things and to experience different times and places through the characters in books. James Dean shows young readers that libraries are groovy! Just like Pete once you have your own library card you can go on groovy adventures too! Check it out.
Helen Christie
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First rate children’s picture story book.

Pete discovers books, and the world discovers books with him. Well, maybe that’s an overstatement, but this is one of the books to read with a child if you want to encourage reading in the future.

An adult can read this book and look carefully at the illustrations in under twenty minutes, and once you do I think you’ll agree Pete has the type of enthusiasm which can offer a child the right motivation.
Afton Hallauer
Jun 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
The title: Pete the Cat Loves to Read would have suited this book far better. Pete's library tour leaves the reader with the impression that libraries offer only peace and quiet, long tables, and "so many books!" Disappointing, when libraries offer so much more to their patrons than just books.
When Pete asks the librarian "which book should I read?" she replies: "You can read any book you like." Certainly not readers advisory at its finest.
Katie
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I am always looking for simpler books to use when Pre-K comes to the Library the 1st few times so they can get used to being in the library. This is a great book to show what happens in a library but also what happens when we open a good book. I haven't enjoyed a lot of the newer Pete the Cats since Eric Litwin no longer helps with them but I really like this one!
Ina
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pete's Mom takes him to the library where he gets a library card and a tour. Then he sets about reading book after book and the reader is treated to an inside look at Pete's imagination - which is cool, of course. Big bright illustrations, Pete's groovy vibe, and a strong message about being whatever you imagine with a book make this a great addition to a book/reading/library Storytime.

Meg McGregor
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lexi-victoria
Pete's Mother takes him to their local library; and, it changes Pete's view, about reading and responsibility!

The librarian takes Pete, on a guided tour, of the library!

He is shown where to check books out, where to read books, and is presented with his own library card!

The girls, want to get their own library cards, now!
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
When your target audience is preschool kids, why even include a section about scary monster books that Pete the Cat finds too scary?? Modified the text on the spot when reading it today but that part was a let-down in an otherwise nice little story about the world that libraries open up to young readers.
Paulina Paredes
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: free-choice-5
I love this book because its a great way to introduce the library and different types of books that there are. This will teach students to be engaged in books and want to actually read and fall in love reading. I will read this book at the beginning of the school year to make sure that the students fall in love with reading.
Meg McGregor
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lexi-victoria
Pete's Mother takes him to their local library; and it changes Pete's view about reading and responsibility!

The librarian takes Pete on a guided tour of the library!

The girls want to get their own library cards now!
Becky B
Pete the Cat visits the library for the first time and discovers all the wonderful places books can take him.

This is a great celebration of the ability of books to transport you anywhere and let you be anything in your imagination. Recommended for those who want to promote the magic of books, Pete the Cat fans, and library/book lovers in general.
Shawn Burcham
I love You, Pete the Cat, but your friend, James, hasn’t been to a library lately. I work in a library, Pete, and we don’t have one single “Quiet Please” sign anywhere. I hope you will come and visit my library someday, and bring James with you. We’ll have a fantastic time playing games, listening to stories and reading groovy books.
Mackenzie Keffer
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pete the Cat is a good book for young readers to read this story impartically is a great book to read to students because throughout the story Pete goes to the library and checks out a lot of books and and has fun time exploring the library.
TaNera Rodriguez
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It is a great book to read to children to get them interested in going to the library. The book was lively and it encourages them to come and explore what their public library has to offer.
Peacegal
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Pete visits the library and realizes how books can transport him to new worlds. His imagination goes into overdrive as he imagines himself as a pilot, a superhero, a scientist, and much more with every turn of the page. I could definitely imagine this one being read on "Reading Rainbow!"
H
Mar 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Kirsten
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime, grades-1-3
Worked well for a Library Tour and storytime for 1st graders. Although this book didn't seem to catch the attention as much as other Pete the Cat books I have used before.

I paired this book with "Do Not Bring Your Dragon to the Libary" which worked well.
Ellon
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
My least favorite Pete the Cat that I’ve read so far. I like that it tells about the library and all the exciting types of books in the library. However, it was missing Pete’s rhythm and repetition. I expected more.
Cheyenne
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute book, but the illustration style is ... lacking.

• Spiky
  • A Library Book for Bear
  • The Runaway Bunny
  • The New LiBEARian
  • 100+ Knock Knock Jokes for Kids
  • Bedtime Stories for Kids
  • The Cat in the Hat
  • Spy School (Spy School, #1)
  • The Lorax
  • Green Eggs and Ham
  • The Library Book
  • Bunny's Book Club
  • One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
  • The Very Hungry Caterpillar
  • Camp
  • We Are (Not) Friends
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
  • Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Pete the Cat (1 - 10 of 48 books)
  • Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes