Start by marking “Bibliophile: An Illustrated Miscellany” as Want to Read:
Bibliophile: An Illustrated Miscellany

Bibliophile: An Illustrated Miscellany

The ultimate gift for book lovers, this volume brims with literary treasures, all delightfully illustrated by beloved artist and founder of Ideal Bookshelf, Jane Mount.
Book lovers, rejoice! In this love letter to all things bookish, Jane Mount brings literary people, places, and things to life through her signature and vibrant illustrations. Readers will:

• Tour the world'
Published September 11th 2018 by Chronicle Books (first published September 4th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Bibliophile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bibliophile

Start your review of Bibliophile: An Illustrated Miscellany
Diane S ☔
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another absolutely wonderful book about all things bookish. Lists of course, classified into subjects, classics, sports, fantasy etc. I did pretty well on many of the lists, except for the genres I read little of, fantasy, scyfy. This is so much more than just lists though, it also highlights some wonderful bookstores, gorgeous libraries around the world, and the rooms some well known authors used to write their books. There are short bios or paragraphs of interest of somebody the authors precee ...more
Elyse  Walters
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
.....This is the book that keeps on giving...
.....It’s a book for book and artwork lovers...
.....The physical hardcopy is gorgeous....with a ribbon bookmark...
.....Wonderful gift for book lovers...can be read cover to cover or jump around...read in any order.
.....Beautifully crafted, charming illustrations, entertaining, and informative...

Author Jane Mount lives in Maui with her husband and two “weird cats”.
Jane says:
“Making this book has been one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. I often
Victoria
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Whimsically rendered ode to books.

I love books (obviously).
I love art.
I love humor.
I love trivia, quizzes and all around cleverness.

This book delivers on every one of these and so much more. It’s too late to gift for the holidays, but this should be on your list to gift yourself or another book lover in your life at any time of year.

The author and artist calls it a literary Wunderkammer, and after looking the word up to read ‘a place where a collection of curiosities and rarities is exhibited,’
Hannah Greendale
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, oddities
Bibliophile is a top-notch gift for bookworms and would make a splendid addition to any waiting room or coffee table.

Author and illustrator Jane Mount opens by saying, "The goal of this book is to triple the size of your To Be Read pile," but, if I'm being honest, that really didn't happen for me (which is shocking given how exceptionally talented I am at making Mount TBR grow).

For me, Bibliophile stirred a longing to travel to more bookstores around the world, to examine public libraries next
Carol
Feb 25, 2019 added it
Shelves: non-fiction
Perfect book for those of us who respond to visual inspiration. This is a book to be savored over time, possibly not read from front to end in chronological order. Or maybe a quick turn of all the pages, with the idea to go back to focus on those areas of interest. What I'm getting at here is this is a book I'd like to own, one to enjoy or refer to when the mood or need strikes.

One thing I really loved was the nod to many of the best Independent Book Stores in the World. Certainly makes me want
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
This is the ultimate book-album to have on a book table in a lounge to flip through. Looks wonderful, illustrated with wild abandon and incredibly pleasant to hold!
Of course, I'm not gonna skip pointing out that this is basically a glorified booklist interspersed with lots of fun miscellania. It's more than compensated for, though. And it's exactly as stated on the cover: illustrated miscellany. Love it.

Q:
Virginie
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
So beautiful! I'm glad I bought it, it's a nice add to my collection. Now I dream about having an illustrated poster of my favorite books... Jane Mount is an amazing artist!
Lisa
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this gorgeous book! The introduction compares it to a portable bookstore and I agree. Turning the pages is like browsing the aisles of a well-curated bookshop. Mount's wonderful drawings of book stacks fill the pages and I have been studying the spines of each of them - touching them, admiring them, noting those that I've read and want to read.

This is a book that I will keep referring to. It makes me happy just to hold. I bought this for myself but if it had been a gift, I would have fel
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
I love this book so much that I'd give it ten stars out of five, if I could.

This book was written just for me, I think.

It's everything book-ish. It's good books, of course, by list. It's wonderful bookstores. It's great libraries. It's authors and illustrators.

And it's all hand-drawn, with lovely pictures of books and bookshops and libraries and authors.

I love this book. I wish I could loan you my copy, but I love it too much to share it. You must get your own copy.

Jenny, The Distracted Bee
Have you ever hugged a book?
Do you sometimes/ all-the-times feel like the odd one out for reading books?

I am on pg. 15 and am giving it 5 stars. Hands down.

This book is grilled cheese and tomato soup on a cold day.

It is spending Boxing Day in your pyjamas to recover from People.

It is reading socks and soft, cozy blankets fresh out of the dryer...

I am only reading a few pages every night because it is pure happiness in book form, and I want it to last longer than an ‘80’s jawbreaker.
Diane Barnes
This is one of those books for leafing through when you have a few spare minutes, or at bedtime when you're too tired and sleepy to pay attention to a plot line. The watercolor artwork by Jane Mount is a delight, and we are treated to book recommendations from librarians, teachers, booksellers, etc., bookstores around the world, drawings of the workspaces of writers, lists of book genres, and little tidbits of arcane information about books and publishers and authors. I loved picking it up at ra ...more
Negin
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: gift for book lovers and anyone going through a reading rut
The author of this gorgeously-illustrated book starts off by saying, “The goal of this book is to triple the size of your To Be Read pile.” Since my to-read list is already way out of control, I am grateful that this didn’t happen! I ended up adding only three books to my wish list.

WHAT I LOVED
Beautiful illustrations – I simply loved browsing through this book – especially favorite bookstores, libraries, pets in bookstores, and so on. This book is engaging and fun!

WHAT I DID NOT PARTICULARLY CA
Stacey (prettybooks)
I was sent a copy of Bibliophile by my bookish buddy Katrina because I've been working with the publisher for my day job. This really is my sort of miscellany. Jane Mount is super talented – I have been coveting a bookstack print myself – and Bibliophile is full of literary facts, book recommendations, and bookshop spotlights, and it kept me entertained during my lunch breaks.

Continue reading this review over on Pretty Books.
Jill Mackin
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books, design, bookstores
Such a fun read!
✨Sumi's Books✨
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Delightful! Simply delightful book about books. This book contains everything you would ever want to know about different genres of books, authors, book stores worldwide, music about books, and even the bookkeepers themselves. The illustrations are very bright and colorful. A perfect book for any bibliophile to add to their library shelves.
I highly recommend it!
Carly Friedman
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you love reading, enjoy the feel of a good book in your hands, have ever lovingly caressed the cover of a favorite book, you need to get this book. Every page is a goldmine of beautiful illustrations of books, bookstores and libraries, famous authors’ writing rooms, and book recommendations. I probably added 30 books to my TBR and could have included dozens more.

I rarely buy books but I’m tempted to go buy this one tomorrow because I’ll have to return this copy to the library 😆
Karen
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The subtitle of this book is "an illustrated miscellany." But I would subtitle it "the Joy of Books, Illustrated." Jane Mount is a very talented illustrator who came up with the idea of painting the books sitting in front of her in her kitchen. Then people began to notice what she was doing. She created a company, called Ideal Bookshelf. Her first book, My Ideal Bookshelf, contains paintings of writers' and designers' bookshelves. My TBR certainly expanded when I read that book.

In her introduct
Elizabeth A
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, non-fiction, art, 2018
This delightful book is full of lovely illustrations, and would make a lovely gift for all the readers in your life, including yourself.

There's lots of bookish information to delight readers including curated lists, book recommendations, beloved bookstores, and bookstore pets. Every two page spread has bookish tidbits with accompanying illustrations. The beautiful illustrations and book design are what make this book in my opinion. It's a lovely ode to all things book related. While I did not a
Lisa
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and informative. I spent days with this book and I don't want to stop looking at it and reading it. Each two page spread has both illustrations and information. Two page spreads include topical and/or genre based lists, beloved bookstores, bookish people recommend, striking libraries, editions, writing rooms, etc. This is such fun. I checked this out from the library but I want my own copy. This is a book to treasure and open and reread any time of day, week, month, or year.
Courtney
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book. The content, the illustrations, the layout, all the choices. A book about books for bookish people! Celebrate the awesomeness of books! From where they are kept (bookstores and libraries) to how they're presented (illustration and different editions) to what they can do (inform and change lives)!

Know a book nerd? Get them this book. Delightful.
Lisa Wolf
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely gorgeous book, filled with bookish drawing, fun facts, lists and more. Perfect gift for the booklovers in your life.
Alicia
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, artsy, nonfiction
Blinded by library science! Five stars.

Really though librarians are probably the after thought and the forethought for a book of "illustrated miscellany" about books. What I love is that the hodgepodge for as hodgepodge-y as it is is not at all. There is a real flow to how the book unfolds in created curated lists in likely most kinds of bookish readers-- from those that read cookbooks to those that read sci fi, interspersed with the most beautiful libraries, writing dens, and the most celebrat
Kaytee Cobb
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, a gold mine of books and pictures and this would be the best gift for the book lover in your life.
RuthAnn
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended for every book lover in your life

This book is so great! I put it on my coffee table and leafed through it every so often when I had a minute to spare. It is beautiful, informative, and charming, and it makes a lovely gift and conversation-starter! I loved seeing the illustrated stacks of books and seeing what I had read or what I want to read. My TBR didn't triple, as the introduction warned, but oh man, I am definitely going to look back for book ideas in the future. I also really e
britt_brooke
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Such a fun, literary celebration! I grabbed this ebook deal, but my Paperwhite, though usually amazing, just can’t do Jane Mount’s beautiful artwork proper justice ... but $1.99 is a $1.99, so I jumped on it. It was fun seeing some familiar bookshops (Parnassus, King’s English, Tattered Cover) featured and, naturally, my TBR has expanded. Definitely buying this for my step-MIL for Christmas. She’ll love it!
Deborah Stevens
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A charming book-about-books, packed with ideas for books to read, shops to visit, connections between books, reviews, and more. And a ribbon bookmark, I am a sucker for those!
Robin
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
How come I didn't know about this book??? I recently discovered what a delight this is for anyone who wants a fabulous overview of various books and categories (mainly literary, not much in the way of genres such as suspense, mysteries, romance, and anything else one might think of as "leisure reading"). The illustrations are gorgeously drawn and the book descriptions are enticing. This is a perfect purchase to keep on a shelf for future reference and it would be a fabulous resource for book gro ...more
Alan Teder
Perhaps a Bit Too Fluffy and Comfy
Review of the Chronicle Books 2018 hardcover edition

I enjoyed the front half of this miscellany tremendously and was even considering a 4 or 5-star rating at that stage. In the back half though, which is dominated by non-fiction, I was starting to get somewhat tired of the umpteenth page of cookbook/foodbook related lists and illustrations. So it was a mixed experience overall.

If you are the type of person who enjoys book lists and is intrigued by glimpses of bo
Nadja
In her introduction Jane Mount declares "The goal of this book is to triple the size of your To Be Read pile. It's a literary Wunderkammer..." and I'm sorrynotsorry but the book failed miserably. If I had to describe this book in one word... RANDOM! The book choices, selected authors, bookstores,...in general what is in this supposed "Wunderkammer" and what is not. The illustrations are cute but the content is so random it hurt my soul a bit.
Goodreads Librari...: cover art missing on ebook edition 2 12 Apr 24, 2020 07:28AM

• My Ideal Bookshelf
  • I'd Rather Be Reading: The Delights and Dilemmas of the Reading Life
  • Book Love
  • I'd Rather Be Reading: A Library of Art for Book Lovers
  • The Great American Read: The Book of Books: Explore America's 100 Best-Loved Novels
  • Well-Read Women: Portraits of Fiction's Most Beloved Heroines
  • Witch Please: Magical Musings on Life, Love, and Owning Your Power
  • Quiet Girl in a Noisy World: An Introvert's Story
  • Book Lust: Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason
  • Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader
  • For the Love of Books: Stories of Literary Lives, Banned Books, Author Feuds, Extraordinary Characters, and More
Jane Mount is an award-winning illustrator and designer. In 2008, she founded Ideal Bookshelf, a company that makes things for people who love books, including paintings of books that have changed people's lives. Her work has been featured by The New Yorker, The Paris Review, BuzzFeed, and InStyle, among others. She lives on Maui in Hawaii and sometimes in Berlin with her husband and two weird cat ...more

Articles featuring this book

Perhaps we're biased, but we believe books are the perfect gift for any occasion. And it doesn't have to be stressful buy...
“I know that any book, when read at the right moment, might make my life better, might give me a greater understanding of the universe and all the other people in it.” 4 likes
“The goal of this book is to triple the size of your To Be Read pile. It's a literary Wunderkammer, connecting you with books you might love for all kinds of reasons―because the subject speaks to you, because you found it through a great local library, or because there is a cute cat on the cover. Like a portable, beloved bookstore with aisles full of passionate shelftalkers, this volume contains for everyone who enters. Each time you open it, you'll find another jewel you didn't you needed to find until that moment.” 1 likes