Start by marking “A New Science of Life: The Hypothesis of Morphic Resonance” as Want to Read:
A New Science of Life: The Hypothesis of Morphic Resonance

A New Science of Life: The Hypothesis of Morphic Resonance

Conventional scientific theories cannot explain certain phenomena. For instance, when laboratory rats have learned a new maze, rats elsewhere seem to learn it more easily. Rupert Sheldrake describes this process as morphic resonance, in which the forms and behaviours of the past shape living organisms in the present.
Published December 31st 1995 by Park Street Press (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about A New Science of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A New Science of Life

Bruce
Apr 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a really important book. I've heard about Sheldrake and the morphogenic field for years, but never pursued it until now.

As other reviewers here note, this book is rather technical. Accessible if you have a good science education, otherwise I would suggest downloading one of the excellent talks from the author's website http://www.sheldrake.org/B&R/audi...

Sheldrake like Einstein proposes what seems like a small modification to the equations that we use to predict the physical world th
Alterstuart
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating read.. Creationism is not the only, nor the best challenge to neo-Darwinism, and the mechanistic science paradigm. The gatekeepers at TED banned this man's talk, due to a blackball from their anonymous science board. This is an entirely different tactic to refuting this man's hypotheses and theory. Give this one a read!
Kevin
Nov 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: science-faction
i read this back in the 80s when i knew much less about science. it's compelling but ultimately it cannot be said to be based on actual scientific, empirical evidence or methodology.

here's a link to a Scientific American article that gives an overview of why Sheldrake's proposals just don't add up: http://www.scientificamerican.com/art...

and another from the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisf...
nathaniel
Mar 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, science
In experiments, it's been proven that if you train rats to run a maze in, say, England, and allow different rats in, say, Australia, to run the same maze a day or two later, the new rats will learn to run the maze faster than the first group.
Sheldrake is interested in experiments like these. This book puts forth the foundation of his radical, incomplete theory. It is fairly technical. It is also very convincing in some areas. Anyway, it's interesting and I spend a lot of time thinking about the
Arthur
Dec 29, 2013 added it
An eminently reasonable set of testable hypotheses regarding morphogenesis which, however promising, are potentially paradigm-shattering enough to mobilize contingents of mysotheists to incessantly vandalize the author's wikipedia page and discourage any experimental investigation into the matter.
Nick
Apr 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful look at a brilliant scientists theory of morphogenesis.
Sally
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, new-age
I read this many years ago, but remember liking it very much.
Mahipal Lunia
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
path breaking work, and wonderful exposition of an idea Nature magazine wanted to burn out.
Patrick\
Apr 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, paranormal
As follow up, check out the Princeton Egg experiment. This is one eye opener.
Deborah
Mar 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Innovative concept.
Lionel
Oct 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The hypothesis of formative causation is deeply compelling. Repeatedly the ideas in this book pokes holes in our present scientific assumptions about very fundamental aspects of... everything.
Kenneth
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone curious about how the world works
Sheldrake's reasoned unification of biology and subtle energy
I heard about Sheldrake's ideas years ago and was interested, so I bought the book and put it on a shelf where it sat for years. Over those years, my opinion of Sheldrake deteriorated. But... I didn't want to get rid of a book that I had never read, especially if it meant leaving myself with a poor opinion of a book I hadn't actually read.

Meh. Well..it was nonsense. But, I must admit, it is some of the most eloquent nonsense I have ever read. *shrug* So... I'll rate it a 2 instead of a 1.

Now I
Raúl
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essay, favorites
Un libro revolucionario e imprescindible. Una de las hipótesis científicas más importantes del siglo XX.
Noufal
Aug 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: postponed
Stopped reading the book since it was getting too technical for a casual read. The hypothesis is a little bizzare and very new ageish. The fact that Deepak Chopra endorses Sheldrake doesn't help either.

Hoewever, he sets out his premises quite nicely and builds up on the basics quite neatly. That makes it an interesting read.

I might pick this up later sometime.
Sinan Canan
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
İlginç, spekülatif, zihin uyarıcı ve aslında çığır açıcı bir kitaptır. Yaşamın biçimleri ve oluşumları hakkında morfik alanlar denen kuram hakkında bilgi sahibi olmak ilgilenen herkes için bence zorunlu...
Didzis Stalīdzāns
Daudz liekvārdības un garš ievads. Problēma ir ļoti labi izprotama, taču pati teorija ir tikai ideja un nostāšanās pret moderno stagnātisko zinātnes pasauli.
Ja vērtē saturu, tad noteikti piecas zvaigznes - grāmata ir interesanta. Bet lasīt ir grūti.
Jeanne
May 02, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Auf Seite 39, ist nicht so spannend
Steve
Dec 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Probably good but I couldn't finish it.
Alert Holtman
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Interesting
Graham
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This excellent book changed my life . This theory changes everything. I am convinced this theory is correct. Please read this book.
Ilpo

• The Ages of Gaia: A Biography of Our Living Earth
  • Order Out of Chaos: Man's New Dialogue with Nature
  • The Ever-Present Origin
  • How Nature Works: The Science of Self-Organized Criticality
  • Why Materialism Is Baloney: How True Skeptics Know There Is No Death and Fathom Answers to Life, the Universe and Everything
  • Entangled Minds: Extrasensory Experiences in a Quantum Reality
  • Science and the Akashic Field: An Integral Theory of Everything
  • Quantum Questions: Mystical Writings of the World's Great Physicists
  • The Singular Universe and the Reality of Time: A Proposal in Natural Philosophy
  • Sex, Drugs and DNA: Science's Taboos Confronted
  • The Secret Life of Plants: A Fascinating Account of the Physical, Emotional and Spiritual Relations Between Plants and Man
  • A Foray Into the Worlds of Animals and Humans: With a Theory of Meaning
  • Biology Of Transcendence
  • The Cosmic Game: Explorations of the Frontiers of Human Consciousness
Rupert Sheldrake is a biologist and author of more than 80 scientific papers and ten books. A former Research Fellow of the Royal Society, he studied natural sciences at Cambridge University, where he was a Scholar of Clare College, took a double first class honours degree and was awarded the University Botany Prize. He then studied philosophy and history of science at Harvard University, where he ...more