Start by marking “The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross” as Want to Read:
The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross

The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross

s/t: A Study of the Nature and Origins of Christianity within the Fertility Cults of the Ancient Near East
Professor Allegro (Univ. of Manchester) has hitherto been known for his several excellent books on the Dead Sea Scrolls. In an unusual reversal, he has now produced a book that will make The Passover Plot seem the last refuge of theological ultra-conservatism. The thes
Published May 18th 1970 by Hodder & Stoughton Ltd (London)

To ask other readers questions about The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross

Start your review of The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross
Whitney
Jan 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
For such a dry book, this one really got my imagination going. Allegro is the philologist who translated The Dead Sea Scrolls. After initial acclaim, he was ostracized for carrying that work to its conclusion.

He keeps the book very much on topic. It would be extremely easy to find several rabbit holes to go down. His only concern is the words. He is not a psychedelic proponent like Terrance McKenna. He is not a biblical scholar or a Christian. He only wants to understand the oldest languages tha
Jasper
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wow. John Marco Allegro was the only non-Catholic member to help translate The Dead Sea Scrolls, and when he found the Sumerian glyphs that represented mushrooms and peered deeper into the text, he underwent an existential reforming, radically changing and casting off his Protestant beliefs. Yet as I read this amazing scholar's main work, I couldn't help but think that he was pressing his new-found dogma too hard, and that it would fall upon deaf ears. While the book has inspired many to look de ...more
Peter Lockhart
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Heavy going and really this man is a scholar. The fact is it ended his career because people prefer a simple lie to a complicated truth.

I thought the book was astounding.
Erik Graff
Dec 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: biblical scholars
Recommended to Erik by: Dennis Haas
Shelves: religion
When taking my first Hebrew Scriptures course, our professor, Grinnell College Chaplain Dennis Haas began a lecture with a display of this book, saying how he had been shocked by its thesis that the roots of Judaism and Christianity were in a psychedelic fertility cult. John Allegro, its author, he noted, was a very well respected scholar, one of the first involved in the study of the Qumran scrolls. That such an expert could make such claims was quite upsetting.

Years later, having gotten two de
Deejay Nicke
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is not an "easy read" in any sense of the phrase, but it is a book that cannot be denied.

Originally published in May of 1970, it was attacked and buried - out of print for nearly 40 years!

It's author - John M. Allegro - with Masters degrees in Ancient Languages, Hebrew, and Ancient Studies - he was THE MAN asked to translate the Dead Sea Scrolls!

Yet this book ended his career.

This book was the result of 15 years of research and study, and yet critics dismissed it without even justifyin
Trevor Luke
Jul 21, 2008 rated it did not like it
Astoundingly absurd. The quest to find references to the amanita muscaria in Sumerian hidden in the Greek text of the New Testament must have originated in a little personal testing of the mushroom.
Robin Boudreaux
Mar 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One day people will look back on this book and realize that it was the beginning of the revelation of the true history of RELIGION and Christianity!!! .........one day.
Adam K
Feb 06, 2009 added it
In this book, the author goes back to the roots of civilization in Sumeria to trace the use of psychedelic mushrooms as tools for divine revelation, and breaks down the original language of the Bible to show, among other things, the story of Jesus to be a thinly-veiled, word-play filled chronicle of merits of the sacred mushroom.

It deals heavily with ancient languages, religions, and drugs, so if you're interested in any combination of those things, I totally recommend this book. Obviously, this
Mihnea Oarga
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thebigboishelf
This book starts with a hefty dose of genitally themed etimology before going into cults and mushtooms.
Is it interesting? Yes.
Do you learn multiple ways to say "penis" in various ancient languages? Yes.
But it also is hard to follow and needlessly long.
Skip about 100 pages after the first mention of "celestial semen" it'll make it a lot easier.
Donna
Jun 14, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Anyone who has schadenfreude whenever anything pertaining to faith takes a hit
I picked this up at a garage sale, TG I didn't pay very much for it. I later found out that this book was the downfall of Allegro and ruined his professional reputation. The man was a brilliant ancient linguist, but really went off the deep end with this one. Many people believe he deliberately wrote this sensationalistic book to generate badly needed money. I do know he was instrumental in bringing the errors (or perhaps deceptions) concerning the Dead Sea Scrolls interpretation to light, and f ...more
Emma Lucy
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have been a fan of Allegro for some time so I was already aware of his theories before reading this book. I did enjoy it, but some parts were a struggle to get through, especially the many Sumerian and Semitic names for fungus! I believe there is a lot of truth in his ideas, however like so many of the alternative thinkers out there, he starts to see his theory in every aspect of Abrahamic spiritualism. I enjoyed his opinions on the early Islamic movements in connection to magical shrooms very ...more
HuggablySoft
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I grew up with Christianity forcefully shoved down my throat despite frequent and vigorous protests. I no longer hold the stark views against Christianity that I did in my youth. Nonetheless, this book had me smiling and even laughing at the possibility of Allegro being correct. And, mostly because I want it to be true, I do believe he is onto something.

I feel that Allegro gives a good explanation for the motivation of a group of people to value the mushroom's psychoactive effects as the hand of
JJ W
May 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
What more can I say about this book that hasn't been written? This book is a classic, and the 40th anniversary edition of this book is a real gem, if only for the essay at the end by Professor Carl A P Ruck. The book's basic argument is that the bible is a fossil or a play that got built up from older cults and stories and bad translations--a huge game of telephone--and that by studying its linguistic predecessors, we can understand the strange stories of the Judeo-Christian tradition.

My favori
Alford Wayman
ehhh..Good hypothsis concidering Soma use in the vedas and ambrosia theories from the Greek texts. I say why not but to what extent. Conspiracy folks love books like this. But having read both Ancient Near Eastern and Greek ritual texts with translations more current I belive Allegro is stretching some things to the limits. Neither this nor that but both and.
Graham
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Scholarly and informative very interesting.
Corey
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was clearly very well researched book, the evidence of all that research filling up the second half of the book. I think the proofs contained herein are very relevant and important for our understanding of religion, history, and belief systems. I wish more people would read this book, and more people would research these topics, but unfortunately we seem to be surrounded by ostriches, and this book will continue to be largely overlooked.

All hail the magic mushrooms! The word made flesh!
Klaudijus Valintėlis
TL;DR: everything is a penis.

In more serious note, it's an interesting theory how religious and cultural merits were inspired by psychedelic experiences from magic mushrooms. However, the more you progress with the book, the more it seems like the author got obsessed with 'you see what you want to see' syndrome. There are a lot of relations drawn and conclusions made about things, that really lack any evidence, except for justification of specific world view.
Victor Negut
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don't know how many of Allegro's conclusions are true, and the evidence to prove or disprove most of these beliefs has likely been forever lost in time. However, the book is astounding and compelling.

Certainly not for anyone who is set in their religious views, but for agnostics and atheists, it is worth a read.
Zack Kruse
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This is a wonderfully strange and incredibly fascinating book, and the degree to which Allegro is right is less important to me than the pleasure of re-thinking ancient myths and mystery religions in this way.
Mark
Dec 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
What utter nonsense
Fer
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the weirdest book I ever read. A good summary of the Sacred Mushroom and the cross is in Wikipedia. The backbone of Allegro thesis is around page 128. Early Christians were involved in an ancient Sumerian fertility cult that used hallucinogens like “mandrake” "amanita muscaria". According to him the sacred Christians scriptures are coded to avoid enemies. Current Christians have misunderstood this coded text. You are going to read a lot of Allegro’s Sumerian translations of “penis” “vulv ...more
JESSE WALLIS
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You have to have an open mind and patience to read this book. There is a ton of information and a lot of it is historical language. When you dive into this book you should look at it more as a historical reference for translation paired with the author's opinions of those translations. The book was written in the 1970s and he uses what information he had at the time, however since this books original publication supporting and refuting evidence has been revealed. So take it for what it's worth, ...more
Peter Tucker
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I embrace my desire to
I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected
Enough to step aside and weep like a widow
To feel inspired, to fathom the power,
To witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain,
To swing on the spiral, to swing on the spiral,

To swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human.

Amanda Ure
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is complete nonsense! But it is interesting and a good read. I don't understand how a respected scholar could suddenly come out with this. On a side note, I think Philip K. Dick must've read it at some point.
Harrison Gourlay
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fascinating work and intense study. This is a comprehensive, although vague, representation of Christianity's roots. It gets deep,, while also seems to get nowhere. I really got sucked in though, have to admit. Good time, worthwhile. A hearty recommendation, 4/5 stars.
Vasile Corjan
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: english
It's all about the D :))
Michael J.
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Although a dry read at first one can acquire much knowledge. The ancient cults of the past had a reverence for the sacred mushroom and this book is a great ride into that world.
Kamil Kazmierski
This is a weird book! It turns out most of the Bible is code for the toadstool and/or the erect penis. Jesus was a fungus, in a manner of speaking.
William Shield
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Reframing of reality.
Nikky Glez
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
What. WHAT. last chapter is good.
Underground Knowl...: Magic Mushrooms 12 218 Feb 02, 2020 10:58PM

• Food of the Gods: The Search for the Original Tree of Knowledge
  • The Book on the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
  • The Serpent and the Rainbow
  • Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World
  • Inner Paths to Outer Space: Journeys to Alien Worlds through Psychedelics & Other Spiritual Technologies
  • The Wisdom of Insecurity: A Message for an Age of Anxiety
  • The Doors of Perception
  • Tribe: On Homecoming and Belonging
  • True Hallucinations
  • The Moral Landscape: How Science Can Determine Human Values
  • Plants of the Gods: Their Sacred, Healing, and Hallucinogenic Powers
  • Be Here Now
  • Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History
  • The Way of Zen
  • Acid For The Children
  • Chaos: Charles Manson, the CIA, and the Secret History of the Sixties
  • Fingerprints of the Gods: The Evidence of Earth's Lost Civilization
  • This is It & Other Essays on Zen & Spiritual Experience
John Marco Allegro was a scholar who challenged orthodox views of the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Bible and the history of religion, with books that attracted popular attention and scholarly derision.

After service in the Royal Navy during World War II, Allegro started to train for the Methodist ministry but transferred to a degree in Oriental Studies at the University of Manchester. In 1953 he was invit