Start by marking “Tasks Before Apps: Designing Rigorous Learning in a Tech-Rich Classroom” as Want to Read:
Tasks Before Apps: Designing Rigorous Learning in a Tech-Rich Classroom

Tasks Before Apps: Designing Rigorous Learning in a Tech-Rich Classroom

Educator and technology consultant Dr. Monica Burns shares strategies, tools, and insights that all teachers can use to effectively incorporate technology in the classroom.
Published October 9th 2017 by ASCD

To ask other readers questions about Tasks Before Apps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tasks Before Apps

Start your review of Tasks Before Apps: Designing Rigorous Learning in a Tech-Rich Classroom
Julie Suzanne
Burns's main idea is that one should use technology to support learning objectives that are clearly identified first (find the tech to help you reach that goal AFTER this step). I believe that Burns had noted that some teachers find the tech tool they like first, and then try to figure out how to use it (or build lessons and activities around using that tool/app after discovering it).

I am not one of those people, so a lot of this was preaching to the choir. However, I did learn about a few
Connie
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is not one that simply talks about the theory behind why teachers should use tech purposefully. This book is packed with how-to, concrete example lessons that are well organized and provide the important purpose-driven takeaway behind each suggested tech chosen to enhance the content learning. Dr. Burns guides her readers to consider how to decide on a final product that will give students the best way to demonstrate their learning keeping student voice and choice in mind. Teachers ...more
Heather Stringham
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book helped me realize that knowing what needs to be done In the classroom is as important as how it’s done. Burns gives great advice to help you decide what you want to do and how it should be done.
Alice
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
Given me a lot to think about over the summer as I consider next year's planning...
Kris Patrick
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I reached out to the author on Twitter to alert her that a different Monica Burns is connected to Tasks Before Apps in Goodreads. She didn't respond. Oh well. I will continue to get a giggle on this one. Ms. Burns must not be not a Goodreads user.

Tweller83
52 books in 52 weeks 2018 challenge: book with a green spine

I liked this one and can see us doing a book study with it. I will try to schedule my PD this year with this in mind, rather than just a series of apps.
Suzanne
Theresa Siega
Dec 28, 2019

• Learning Transported: Augmented, Virtual and Mixed Reality for All Classrooms
  • Love Lettering
  • Pick the Plot (Story Thieves #4)
  • A Tale of Magic... (A Tale of Magic, #1)
  • Worlds Apart (Story Thieves #5)
  • Liebe geht durch alle Zeiten (Edelstein Trilogie, #1-3)
  • Good Wives
  • Giraffe Problems
  • Aurora Plays the Part (Disney Princess Beginnings, #6)
  • Tiana's Best Surprise (Disney Princess Beginnings, #5)
  • Belle's Discovery (Disney Princess Beginnings, #2)
  • Jasmine's New Rules (Disney Princess Beginnings, #4)
  • Cinderella Takes the Stage (Disney Princess Beginnings, #1)
  • Disney Princess Beginnings: Jasmine, Tiana & Aurora: Jasmine's New Rules, Tiana's Best Surprise, Aurora Plays the Part: The Disney Princess Beginnings Series
  • The Good Girl's Guide to Murder (Debutante Dropout, #2)
  • Can I Touch Your Hair?: Poems of Race, Mistakes, and Friendship
  • A Tale of Beauty and Beast: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #2)
  • A Dance of Silver and Shadow: A Retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #1)
1 follower
Dr. Monica Burns is a Curriculum and EdTech Consultant, Apple Distinguished Educator and Founder of ClassTechTips.com.