Start by marking “Breakout at the Bug Lab” as Want to Read:
Breakout at the Bug Lab

Breakout at the Bug Lab (Easy-to-Read)

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  62 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Max, a Madagascar cockroach, is as big as a bite-sized candy bar and hisses like a snake when he is mad. Leo and his brother are fascinated. Out of all of the bugs in their mother's bug lab, Max is definitely the best. But now, Max is on the loose in the lab! To make matters worse, there's a party there today. Leo and his brother have to find Max before he makes people scr ...more
Published November 11th 2002 by Penguin Young Readers (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Breakout at the Bug Lab, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breakout at the Bug Lab

Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beginning-reader
There is a ceremony to rename the science building and Sam and Leo are told not to cause any trouble but Max, the hissing cockroach escapes and it is up to them to find him before people scream and Max is seen by the TV crew. They find him on the upside down on the ceiling and are trying to get down when One-Shot Lil offers to help. It turns out that she is Ruby L. Gold the person the building is being renamed after.

This was a cute story about people that love bugs and some crazy things that ca
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Summer is upon it and with it is summer reading. My 7 year old grandson just read this.
I like that the boy's mom was a scientist and that it explained the importance of doing research to help the environment. It was also funny and had surprises.
Breakout goes a step farther than just being an easy reader for younger students.
Jennifer Heise
Apr 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: earlyreader
Picked this up while looking for humorous early chapter books for first grader, whose reading level is Wimpy Kid, but whose reading comprehension tests at first grade or a bit above, and who loves science and bug books. He didn't choose to read it to himself, but we did read it as a bedtime book and he enjoyed it. A fun little read.
Sarah Anderson
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I think this is a fun book for young readers. Fun, exciting, ture bug facts, and the children in the book are well behaved which is a requirenment I have for books if my sons are going to read them. My 6yr. son really enjoyed reading this book.
Jan 13, 2012 added it
Shelves: children-s
Rachel Flan
cute! It would be a good book to use when the kids are learning about bugs
Amber Spencer
Jun 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-the-boys
I gave this one so many stars because Trenton said he loved it the best of all the books we read yesterday. I guess he's wanting things a little more advanced...I just enjoy hearing him laugh!
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 6-8, reader, iup, ar
AR Quiz No. 49400 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.5 - AR Pts: 0.5
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Slightly complex beginning reader. Nice that their mom is the scientist!
Kate Hastings
Apr 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
RL 260
A young patron told me about this and giggled the entire time. Bugs, women scientists and an escaped cockroach all for the beginning reader. What's not to love?
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2009
Lisa Pfeffer
Sep 15, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
I have worked as a librarian in a Catholic girls’ high school, raised two children, run for public office, taught Torah at a Hebrew school and served the causes of truth and grammar as a contributing editor at Vermont’s alternative weekly newspaper, Seven Days. I grew up in Montclair, New Jersey, and also spent part of my childhood in Paris. Since then I’ve lived in Los Angeles and Burlington, Ver ...more
More about Ruth Horowitz...

Easy-to-Read (1 - 10 of 137 books)
  • Tales of Oliver Pig: Level 2