Start by marking “Her: A Horror Short Story” as Want to Read:

Her: A Horror Short Story

Kemper Academy is over a hundred years old, but it has only recently reopened after a series of murders and stories of hauntings shut it down. Avlynn, a new student, refuses to let the rumors scare her, chalking them up to a bit of friendly freshman hazing. But when night falls and screams draw her from her room, she finds the truth is much more horrifying than any ghost s ...more
Kindle Edition, Second, 12 pages
Published September 19th 2017 by OfTomes Publishing (first published October 27th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Her, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her

Darque  Dreamer
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Her is heart pounding and gripping! This one is creepy and intense! For anyone who loves scary stories, this one is perfect!

I was unable to read any creepy books during October due to my schedule, so I was having a bit of Halloween withdrawal! This short story was perfect to quench my creepy thirst! It was well developed for its length. It kept building with the horror and suspense, and had a perfect ending. It definitely gave me the chills and raised my pulse a little!

My only negative is that
Angela Cruz
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a paranormal horror short story. I would recommend this for young adults and older due to the graphic scenes. I really enjoyed the descriptive wording that the author used. A great read for Halloween! This book ended with me wondering what happens next? I see a wonderful series hopefully in the future.

Avlynn is a freshman at a new school, Kemper Academy. She is anxious about being the new girl. Everyone knows the rite of passages dwelt by the seniors but she refuses to show weakness. W
April
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
A well-written short horror story that leaves the reader wanting more. (The reader in this case being me- and not only am I intrigued, but I want more! What happens next!? Maybe an expansion into a complete novel?! Yes please! ;) )
Miranda ❤️
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a great, spooky tale! Right from the start I got sucked in with Avlynn's story!

I loved the ghost story over a campfire introduction and the way it quickly turns from light-hearted fun to horror! The perfect book if you're looking for something spooky & quick! (Thinking about opening a full-fledged horror novel? Check this out first!) I highly recommend you dive into this one to get you in the Halloween, spooky-kind-of-mood!

Be prepared to want more of this wonderfully written horror stor
Donna
This was such a creepy, short little story. I found it really fun! If you're looking for some creepy books to read (and it's a short one too), I would definitely recommend this one!!

I would say something more about the story than the summary does, but because it's short I'm afraid I would ruin the story for you! But I recommend you read this for yourself!!
Laura  Hernandez (TheVoluptuousBkDiva/YABkDivas)
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review. I made no guarantee of a favorable review and the opinions expressed here are my own.

This young adult short story was a fantastic read. Well written, paranormal story that was suspenseful and gave me goosebumps. I was definitely not prepared for the shocking and horrifying end.

This is a five star story that readers will love. Word of advice: if you hear ghostly whispers; pay them no mind.
Olga Miret
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid short-story, scary and chilling, and a great introduction to the author’s writing. It is a bit difficult to write this review without sharing any spoilers, as the story is very short indeed. Blink and you’ve missed it. Despite that, it is atmospheric, intriguing, and fairly dark (although there’s no gore involved at all, so don’t worry if you’re squeamish).
The author uses many of the tropes of horror novels and films (an old gothic-looking property, a ghost story, night, cold, a daring y
Stephanie Norris
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very fun, quick, and spooky read that's perfect for any campfire or sleepover experience
Kevs Negrón
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
PERFECT! A stunning short story that would make you gaze around for ghosts. Perfect halloween read—with an amaaaazing ending that will leaves you gasping for air! Amazing! Truly wonderful!
Dallas
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: Daemon Academy
Author: Danielle Rose
Genre: Horror
Age: Young Adult (although this will depend on the maturity of the reader to some degree)
Is This Part of a Series?: No

Summary: (*taken from the Daemon Academy page on Goodreads)
Andie
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a major scaredy pants girl, I was a bit afraid to dive into Daemon Academy, but it was worth the read, however short, it's such an enjoyable little treat in the Halloween season.
Avlynn was a likeable character, someone I could sympathize with.
I huddled in my chair and looked over my shoulder quite a few times while reading this. I found myself kept poking my e-reader to continue reading on the last page, and I'm sure I won't be the only one who feels that way after finishing this story. I wi
Narrative Ink Reviews
This story is just what I needed for a chilly October night! I love scary stories, especially at Halloween time, and this story did not disappoint! I won’t go into too much detail because I don’t want to give anything away, but let me just say this story has got it all: a creepy old school, screams in the night, murderous nuns, ghosts, demons, and an ending you will never see coming! I hope the author writes more stories in this setting – it would make a great series. Read this one with the ligh ...more
Ariel
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Danielle Rose's Daemon Academy is one of the best (in my own opinion, of course) short horror story, that came out just in time for Halloween.
Lynn Reynolds
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished-reading
This is the perfect treat to read leading up to Halloween. Avlynn is telling us our scary story. Her story reminds me of the sleepovers we used to have at summer camp. I can picture reading this story around the campfire. We get the perfect ending for this story but I felt that it was cut short. I want to know what happens to our narrator once this story concludes. Expect to have this book finished in no more than an hour – if you read real slow.

It’s listed as a horror book but I’ve read some th
Denise Sherman
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghosts
"Her" is an awesome short story about a young woman in her first year of a private school at Daemon Academy. The Senior students tell all the freshman a ghost story about how the head Nun goes about killing all of the students in the old school years ago.to scare the underclassman... this story is to initiate the new students in to the school.. Does the story work... Check out Her and find out for yourself....
Danielle Rose is a super writer... When she wrote Daemon Academy now knows as "Her" Da
Trisha
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
By Danielle Rose
*Disclaimer: I received this short story as an ARC from Lady Amber’s Reviews & PR. The following review is my own with no input, compensation, nor promises from either Lady Amber’s Review & PR or the author*.
This story is short, sweet, and to the point as the best ghost stories are. For being a short story there are many things I love about it, most I won’t share as I don’t want to ruin it for the other readers out there. This author brilliantly s
Angela
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5★ for this short story!!
Well, I'm not a fan of horror fics because they always freak me out, and I got the same reaction when I read this.
BUT, it means that this story did a GREAT job because, obviously, a horror story was meant to be terrifying!!
This story's synopsis was so attractive that I couldn't help but asked for an ARC from the author, and I totally do not regret it.
The description was so vivid that you could image the scenes in your head, and you would definitely want to find out wha
Mcf1nder_sk
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading a quick short story by @droseauthor, who is a supernatural romance author. This tale, however, is a cute little horror romp through the world of ghosts. The story only took me five minutes to read, so there wasn't much time for character development or backstory, but Rose does a wonderful job creating suspense rapidly and not letting the reader go until the final page.
Ms.Rose, if you ever want to switch genres, I would say you are more than qualified, and could hold your
Rae Sontheyon
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perfect Short Story For Halloween Time! . . .

"Her" was the first book I've read by Danielle Rose and it won't be the last. This novel is short but enthralling.

Centered on a Kemper Academy freshman named Avlynn, a student who refused to be frighten by firelight scare tactics, finds herself in a real life nightmare.

Honestly, I re-read the last few pages of story because I was like "wait what just happened?!" I couldn't believe the story ended like it did and I would so read more in a heartbeat.
Movies, Shows,
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Note: This review contains NO spoilers

For a short story, Her had the elements of horror and suspense all over it. From beginning to end, I got chills. I got spooked. Even more so, I wanted more! This would be a great and eerie start to a horror novel. Danielle Rose has an incredible knack for writing stories that can get "under your skin." Just in this short story, there is ample world building and character development to get a full-length novel going.

Reviewer: Jasmine

Disclaimer: I received a
Julia Red Hatter Book Blog
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Her is a short story, says so on the book. Don't get snippy because it takes less than 10 minutes to read. This would be a good campfire story. It's got a creepy feel to it. Not what I call horror, horror is a word that is open to interpretation. I would literally define this as "scary campfire story", so I'm a bit disappointed it wasn't more horrorish. It's a cute, very quick read. Something to read to the kids during Halloween.
Aanchal
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
This was a short spooky story, only two thousand something words. It was beautifully written, however, it wasn't scary for me. One thing I really liked was that the main protagonist wasn't dumb like they are in most horror movies. Still, she got caught up in this whole ghost thing. Though, I found the ending predictable I'm glad that I read it.

** I received an ARC of this story for an honest review**
Whitney
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been provided with a copy of Her by the author for an impartial review. I have recently been introduced to this author and this will certainly not be the last book I read by her. It takes someone really special to be able to grab your attention with a horror short story because they only have a few pages to grab your attention. This author did a fantastic job with this short story and I absolutely can’t wait to read more by her.
Whitney
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amy
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Short Story With A Bunch Of Spooky Character To It!

Wow! I really enjoyed this spooky little read. I am surprised at how quickly I was caught up in the story & its characters and then BAM...its over! I hope a fuller version of this story is released to readers one day soon. I need to know what happens next. Good read, just too short! I need more!😀
Lea
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have been provided with a copy of Her by the author for an impartial review. This is horror short story and the first book that I have read by this author and it will certainly not be the last. This short story was so easy to read and super short that it left me wishing there was more. It had me from the very beginning. I can’t wait to read this author’s other books.
Monica Pose
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an incredibly frightening short story that I absolutely loved reading! I am a huge fan of horror and this author definitely does not disappoint! My only complaint here is that it ended so quickly and I cannot wait for more from this author. I highly recommend this novella and this author to anyone who is a fan of horror.
United Indie Book Blog
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Her is a short horror story that will have you wondering what is going on and leave you wondering what happens next. Kemper Academy was shut down long ago but newly reopened with a haunting tale of murder and ghosts walking the hallways. I recommend this for older YA and lovers of horror stories.

Review by Raychel
Lynn  2 Girls & A Book
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! That was an intense, spooky read. Danielle Rose packs quite a punch in a few short pages. She has a great opening for a new horror novel should she decide to explore it. HER, is a perfect spine-tingling campfire story.
Cindy Fong
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a really short story and the ending is really abrupt and leaves you hanging. But, having said that it was really well written and the story is so intriguing, the ending frustrated me. I want to see what happen's next.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dubbed a "triple threat" by readers, Danielle Rose dabbles in many genres, including romance, fantasy, and suspense. The USA Today bestselling author holds a Master of Fine Arts in creative writing from the University of Southern Maine.

For more information about Danielle Rose, visit her website: www.droseauthor.com.