Start by marking “An Argument of Blood (Oath and Crown, #1)” as Want to Read:
An Argument of Blood (Oath and Crown, #1)

An Argument of Blood

(Oath and Crown #1)

and ashamed of his illegitimate birth, a group of traitorous barons force their way into his castle. While William survives the
Paperback, First, 508 pages
Published June 19th 2017 by Penmore Press LLC

To ask other readers questions about An Argument of Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Argument of Blood

Start your review of An Argument of Blood (Oath and Crown, #1)
Donna Maguire

I am a huge fan of historical fiction so I was really excited to get stuck in to this book as soon as it arrived on my Kindle. I love this period of history!

The book flows really well and the writing style is great - you can really see the research that has been put in to the story and the knowledge from the authors.

Four stars from me for this one - really enjoyed it!
Paul Bennett
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is my privilege to be part of the Historical Fiction Virtual Book Tour for An Argument of Blood. First, a brief summary of the story:

William, the nineteen-year-old duke of Normandy, is enjoying the full fruits of his station. Life is a succession of hunts, feasts, and revels, with little attention paid to the welfare of his vassals. Tired of the young duke’s dissolute behaviour and ashamed of his illegitimate birth, a group of traitorous barons force their way into his castle. While William s
Michael Jecks
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was sent An Argument of Blood and A Black Matter for the King for review - in the interests of disclosure, I can happily state that I have never met either writer and was not paid or compensated in any way for the review.

However ...

There is little which is quite so exciting for me as discovering a fresh, new talent in historical writing. In Willis and Ironside I feel I’ve found two writers who can carry me back to the past and can show me a time when, amid the brutality and irrationality of po
Tony Riches
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This fresh look at the life led by William 'The Conqueror' when he was merely a young (and not particularly successful) duke becomes a real 'game of thrones' as the chapters alternate between events in Normandy and those on the the other side of the English Channel.

The star of this book proves not to be William but instead the unlikely ten-year-old Ælfgifa, sister of Harold Godwinson. All the characters in this book have their flaws but Ælfgifa takes it to a whole new level and steals every scen
Jo Barton
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it

In An Argument of Blood, we first meet William, Duke of Normandy, when he is a headstrong and impetuous youth of nineteen, quick to anger and rather slow to take advice from those who think that they know better. That William comes across as spoiled and selfish young man makes for interesting reading, I appreciated getting to learn more of his character and of what focused his drive and ambition as he grew to maturity.

In direct contrast to William's rather angry personality we head across the En
Katherine Hetzel
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This historical tale switches between Aelfgifa and William, the former a younger sister of Harold (of arrow-in-the-eye fame), the latter, William 'the conqueror'.

It's a well written, well researched story with plenty of period detail and oodles of historical fact. As a reader, I found myself more inclined to enjoy Aelfgifa's side of the story initially, because William was a spoilt brat, but about half way through the novel I warmed to William and read his side of the story with as much enjoyme
Maggie Evans
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
An Argument in Blood works best when it draws us in to the worries that its characters face. The two main characters are both strongly written, and the book easily draws us in to the drama surrounding their lives. The chapters written from Aelfgifa's point of view are a particularly strong example of this. Her changing relationship with her siblings is written well, and the writers walk the line between making her smart, and making her infallible.

The main problems holding the book back are stru
Catherine
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've not finished this yet, but am already inspired to write a review because this book is outstanding. Wonderfully evocative, fantastic characters, spot-on historical detail; a thoroughly compelling read. This is accessible without dumbing down. Highly recommend! I will return to write fuller review once finished.
Elysium
3,5 stars

When we first get to know William the Conqueror, he’s young and, honestly, not very likeable. He’s still learning to be duke and how to keep his dukedom. Ælfgifa is the youngest sister of Harold Godwinson, deformed and unloved especially by her mother, she has learned to read people and becomes skilled in the political game.

I’m not huge fan of William and he wasn’t very likeable here either, but he did have his moments. It was interesting to see him as a spoiled and selfish teen. That’
Amy
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An Argument of Blood is an excellent beginning to the Oath and Crown series. I could not put it down! I was a little intimidated by its size at first. However, I had it read in one day. It was a day well spent. I just loved the authors’ vision of young William the Conqueror and what England was like before he took over as ruler. I was fascinated with the whole story. My favorite part was when William was first introduced to Matilda. The women of the book are ones that are of great courage and ar ...more
Kristen
HNS review: https://historicalnovelsociety.org/re...

Set in the earlier years of William the Conqueror’s rule over Normandy, An Argument of Blood opens with him as a young, arrogant duke, although he makes a concerted effort to become a mature leader when an assassination attempt forces him to flee in the middle of the night. The story then follows him through the Battle of Val-ès-Dunes and the nearly continuous warfare of the later 1040s to mid-1050s.

Across the Channel, readers meet Ælfgyfa, you
Mark Moxley-Knapp
British history has never particularly interested me. Sure, bits of it are very interesting, but all those kings and things... I'll admit, I knew very little about William except his name and 1066. I got this book since I had read several pthers from one of the authors. When I read the first page or two, and saw that list of characters, I thought "oh, man, this is going to be boring, and I'll need to refer to that to keep everyone straight."

But then I started reading, and the story, and charact
Sandra
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, read-2019
This was a treat. Not unexpected - I'm familiar with the writing of both authors - but the alternating voices told a gradually-converging tale, made vivid by a wealth of detail, backed up by wide-ranging (and lightly-applied, for the most part) research.

What downside there was applied to the physical book itself: not willing to pay £17, I seized upon one at a fiver and was very much off-put by the fact it was a trade size US edition, apparently made for the large print market. However, the words
Breta Jordan
Jun 01, 2020
Daniel Savage
Aug 22, 2020
Ruby
Apr 07, 2019
Dana
rated it did not like it
Feb 22, 2020
Niall O'Sullivan
Feb 16, 2020
William Rowe
Aug 29, 2020
J.A. Ironside
Jun 28, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Bitchin' Reads
Charissa Rate
Carley Cesare
Rebecca
Dec 15, 2017

• A Black Matter for The King (The Oath and the Crown Book 2)
  • My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Volume 5
  • An Eye of the Fleet (Nathaniel Drinkwater, #1)
  • A King's Cutter (Nathaniel Drinkwater, #2)
  • CONSTABLE ALONG THE LANE a perfect feel-good read from one of Britain's best-loved authors (Constable Nick Mystery Book 7)
  • A Brig of War (Nathaniel Drinkwater, #3)
  • The Bomb Vessel (Nathaniel Drinkwater, #4)
  • The Forgotten Legion (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #1)
  • Florence the Friendship Fairy
  • The Secret Zoo (The Secret Zoo, #1)
  • Trixie The Halloween Fairy (Rainbow Magic)
  • From a Low and Quiet Sea
  • Raiding Forces Series Boxed Set (Books 1 & 2): Those Who Dare & Dead Eagles
  • 3 x T
  • We Install and Other Stories
  • The Eighth-Grade History Class Visits the Hebrew Home for the Aging
  • The Breath of God (Opening of the World, #2)
  • Age of Empyre (The Legends of the First Empire, #6)
Noted cheese enthusiast, J.A.Ironside (AKA Jules), masquerades by day as member of the Gloucestershire County Council library service which funnily enough has rather less to do with books than you would think. Otherwise you will find her writing or reading (or doing martial arts).

Her addiction to the written word began early – Jules grew up in rural Dorset, in a house full of books – which set he

Oath and Crown (2 books)