Start by marking “DIY Rules for a WTF World: How to Speak Up, Get Creative, and Change the World” as Want to Read:
DIY Rules for a WTF World: How to Speak Up, Get Creative, and Change the World

DIY Rules for a WTF World: How to Speak Up, Get Creative, and Change the World

From the creator of the Pussyhat Project, which represents the Women's March and is the symbol of the Resistance, comes a manifesto for every woman to create her own distinct and original path to joy and success at impact.
Published January 16th 2018 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about DIY Rules for a WTF World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about DIY Rules for a WTF World

Start your review of DIY Rules for a WTF World: How to Speak Up, Get Creative, and Change the World
Theresa
Highly recommend this how-to for feminist activists from the POV of a millenial, one who had an idea for a knitted pink hat that became the symbol of a march. Krista Suh, a young writer in Hollywood, gave birth to The Pink Pussyhat Project, and her experiences from that inform much of the activist guidelines found in this book. But it is far more, providing concepts and exercises to realize your full potential - as a feminist, an activist, a creator, a person.

The book is incredibly accessible
Georgia Roybal
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
My daughter recently met Krista Suh (the developer of the Pussyhat Project) and bought me an autographed copy of her book. If I had to pick one word to describe this book, it would be: peppy. The main premise of the book is a feminist one: don't let the patriarchy decide what works for you. The feminism is presented in a very empowering way, with little to no confrontational rhetoric. The chapters are short and easy to read with little exercises. The author is very good at taking every day life ...more
Akello Stone
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a real gem! It provides a comprehensive, accessible and very palpable socio-psycho, reflective conduit for examining our own behaviors through her lessons learned approach. It reads like a personal diary of "secrets and strategies" to develop your creative ideas and really make an impact upon those around you - both those known to you and unknown. By the end of the book, Krista will feel like an old friend you just and lunch with!
Leslie
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full of ideas and positivity! A definite re-read.
Summer
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: feminist
This is not a bad book. It was a perfectly fine book. If you are a millennial feminist, you will probably really like this book. I'm definitely a feminist and almost a millennial, but culturally I think I'm very "second wave" and overall too "serious" for this book. (I didn't even know there was a fourth wave until I googled terms right now to make sure I was using them right)

The Women's March and the Pussyhat Project have been accused of being "white feminist" projects. This book will not
Michelle
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I can't remember how this came on my radar. I'm definitely not the book's target audience, but I do bounce around in my reading. Perhaps it was a Kindle daily deal, and I was intrigued by the "DIY Rules" even though I hated the "WTF World" part of the title.

That said, this is definitely geared to Millennial females - pretty, pink, DIY, WTF, etc. What it's got going for it is a young woman's non academic way of talking about feminism. This isn't the feminism of a Millennials's mother (Gen X),
Rich Baker
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book was one of the best I've ever read.

Full disclosure: I personally know the author and I therefore was really hoping the book would be good. I'm incredibly happy to report that I loved it. In fact, I'm about to start it over and listen to it again, because it has become one of my new favorites of its genre.

I've read a lot of self help books. To me, this book is one of the best I've ever read.

First of all, it's easy to read/listen to. I'm super picky about my audiobook narrators.
Patricia
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I first saw this book at the library, I picked it up, skimmed through the pages, thought it was interesting and then found out that the author Krista Suh is the creator of the Pussyhat Project. Since I thought the Pussyhat Project and the recent Women March movements weren't inclusive of other intersectional identities (I'm looking specifically at you TERFs), I wasn't planning on reading the book. For some reason, I picked it up anyway and overall I'm glad I was able to give it a go.

While
Elise
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's like a blog that is well worth reading (a rare thing to find) and it's in my favourite format, real paper!
Reading Krista's book is like visiting with a really smart and dear friend. You can take it in small portions, one chapter a day, or binge the whole thing because it's really an easy read (and you won't want to put it down.) But I made myself take it slow so that I could absorb and implement each wonderful little insight as I got them! (not every topic resonated with me personally, but
Molly
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I was very ambivalent about those pink pussyhats this time last year. The way it centered feminism on whether or not you have a vagina really rubbed me the wrong way and felt exclusionary. And knitting just didn't seem like the right response for me to the rude awakening - this is real, this is real , I remember saying out loud to myself on more than one occasion.

So when I received a copy of this book for review consideration, I wasn't expecting to connect with it. But I did. Sure, it was the
Jillian Coleen
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was gifted a copy of DIY Rules for a WTF World by Krista Suh by my dear friend Ashley of Sewfragettes, who thought I might enjoy it given our shared interests and values. I flipped through it a bit and then set it on my mantle to look pretty, knowing I would get to it eventually in my long line of to-be-reads. It sat there for a couple of months, through a major transition in my career and a move into a new home. Last week, while talking with Ashley about all these shifts and how they’ve been ...more
Magdelanye
We want to feel like our lives have meaning and purpose....a story in which everyone was a hero or heroine with an epic story line. p129

I liked this book so much that I sent KS an e-mail. Maybe she never got it and for sure she is busy, for this is a woman with big plans. She never answered.Should I demote her to a 2?

The flip side of having a plan is giving in to the inevitable chaos that is part and parcel of the workings of the universe. Things will go differently, embrace it. It means the
Raechel Henderson
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have a love/hate relationship with empowerment books. I like how they can sometimes make me feel like I can get my life together. But I always find them mired in a white, straight, cis feminism that isn't helpful.

Krista Suh's book manages to avoid a lot of those problems. As the creator of the Pussy Hat and a WOC, her book addresses a lot of issues that I find myself dealing with: living creatively in a society that has rigid expectations of what success and living should look like. I found a
Erika
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
SOMEONE PLEASE BUY THIS BOOK FOR ME.

My goodness, I LOVED this book. I renewed it from the library 7 times because I couldn't part with it (hence my plea for someone to gift me this book). The advise Krista Suh shares may seem simple, but it's life changing when put into practice.

I highly recommend this book to people who are sick of being beat down by the patriarchy, who want to speak up and gain confidence.
Meneghin Livia
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heartfelt and genuine AF, Suh lovingly gives advice to readers on how to carry themselves with confidence, be more kind to themselves, and find success in life. DIY Rules has a golden nugget for everyone, and she demonstrates the power of her ideas through her success with the Pussyhat Project.

A real treat!
Kelly
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I can't decide if I want to rate this 3 stars or 4 stars, so for now, I'm going with 3.5 rounded down to three. There was a lot I loved about this book, especially some of the exercises Suh provided, but there were also parts that weren't quite as interesting. I also thought some of her explanations/metaphors were a little confusing. Overall, it's a quick, fun, mostly inspiring read.
Lindsey
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
The repetition of "because the patriarchy" got a bit irritating and simplistic, BUT this book also had some of the greatest morsels of advice I have read. There were lines that I had to re-read in order to digest, they hit me so hard, but she also provided comprehensive advice with accompanying activities to try out. Loved it!
Kristin
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I liked the way this book was set up. Very short chapters that had a main theme. I don't necessarily agree with everything she says, but the point of the book is great-appreciate and love yourself. This is not a preachy, all men are evil rant. I felt that she really does want women to realize their inner potential, and to have a positive impact on the world while doing it.
Amberwench
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This one was fun. One of the better "OMG what am I doing with my life?!" books aimed at young women, this book is broken into easy to digest chapters with projects of both both hands-on and brain-stretching at the end of (most of) the chapters.
Maggie Mattmiller
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel so empowered by this one! Glad I didn't pay attention to the number of stars for this one before starting, or I probably wouldn't have, and I really liked it! So many great thoughts, perspectives, tips, and ideas! Again, leaving this one feeling empowered!
Caroline
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thoughtful and much deeper than your usual book of this type. Even having read widely in this genre, I found myself very moved by this book. Not one you’ll read straight through- this is a great one to keep on the bedside and dip into from time to time for an inspiring boost.
Kara
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable! Krista has many fun outlooks on life, and a few of her ideas will stick with me.
Nora
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
TBR
Michelle Yuen
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Patricia
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such novel, creative ideas on how to take down the patriarchy, all in bite-sized chapters. Very enjoyable and a must read!
AJ Conroy
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not what I expected (crafting guide) but a manifeso for being.
Kristen
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-nonfiction
This is a thought-provoking, empowering book for women of any age. It is easy to read because the chapters are short and the illustrations are adorable.
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Check out the full review at Kritters Ramblings

From the creator of The Pussyhat Project, Krista Suh and this is almost the guide book for women to become not an activist but more active in their lives in their own little worlds. I like that she gives advice that you can use on a personal level, that she isn't saying that everyone should create a movement, but instead should move in their own neighborhood!

I love that in the intro of this book, the author suggests to the reader to read it as they
Cathy
Jan 28, 2020
Laura Thompson
Mar 17, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Atlas Of Sacred Places:Meeting Points Of Heaven And Earth
  • Make It Messy: My Perfectly Imperfect Life
  • The Red Tent (SparkNotes Literature Guide)
  • 100 Photographs That Changed the World
  • The Farm on the Roof: What Brooklyn Grange Taught Us about Entrepreneurship, Community, and Growing a Sustainable Business
  • blud
  • How to Be Everything: A Guide for Those Who (Still) Don't Know What They Want to Be When They Grow Up
  • Scars Like Wings
  • EcoThrifty: Cheaper, Greener Choices for a Happier, Healthier Life
  • Mobituaries: Great Lives Worth Reliving
  • The Truth Will Set You Free, But First It Will Piss You Off!: Thoughts on Life, Love, and Rebellion
  • Loving What Is: Four Questions That Can Change Your Life
  • Weird in a World That's Not: A Career Guide for Misfits, F*ckups, and Failures
  • Midnight in the Graveyard
  • The Lady from the Black Lagoon: Hollywood Monsters and the Lost Legacy of Milicent Patrick
  • Sky Without Stars (System Divine, #1)
  • The Half-Life of Marie Curie
  • Red Rabbit (Jack Ryan, #2)