Start by marking “Rhythmanalysis: Space, Time and Everyday Life” as Want to Read:
Rhythmanalysis: Space, Time and Everyday Life

Rhythmanalysis: Space, Time and Everyday Life

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  200 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Rhythmanalysis displays all the characteristics which made Lefebvre one of the most important Marxist thinkers of the twentieth century. In the analysis of rhythms -- both biological and social -- Lefebvre shows the interrelation of space and time in the understanding of everyday life.With dazzling skills, Lefebvre moves between discussions of music, the commodity, measure ...more
Paperback, Athlone Contemporary European Thinkers, 100 pages
Published June 1st 2004 by Bloomsbury Academic (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Rhythmanalysis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rhythmanalysis

Esteban
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
El entusiasmo del programatismo perpetuo: "¡Me propongo fundar una ciencia entera! ¡Va a ser crítica, transformadora y de izquierda! ¡Reivindicará al cuerpo, nos librará de la alienación burguesa y tendrá por nombre un neologismo nauseabundo!".
Más allá de ese rasgo de estilo típico de los ensayistas franceses, las pocas intuiciones interesantes en este conjunto de artículos están empantanadas por la pedantería y el esquematismo, que se hacen especialmente graves cuando Lefebvre habla de música.
Margarita
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
The (social) production of (social) time.
Elisa
Feb 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: school-books, theory
Oh those French post-structuralists make my head hurt a little bit.
Aaron Schmid
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[Some of my highlights at the bottom]

This was not an easy book... probably because I hardly ever read things so "academically oriented".

Let me be the first to tell you, that I almost definitely failed to grasp (at least in totality) the depths of Lefebvre's pontifications :P

This book absolutely belongs to the realm of analysis and critique - a genre to which I'm relatively new. That being said, I'm finding these sort of books to be extremely rewarding and more than a little enlightening :) Disc
Maddie Nguyen
Sep 07, 2014 rated it liked it
An interesting approach toward urban life, especially the everyday in urbanity. His monologue style is a challenge to grasp his ideas. The part about media day and dressage reveals some interesting discourse further on the reforming of people behaviours, public media, the present and presence. However, I expect more on the rhythmanalysis project in Mediterranean cities. It remains as a monologue about history and policy structure. I struggled in his words to finish my essay for the course about ...more
Marina
Dec 14, 2016 added it
I did not enjoy reading this. I'm not sure what value it would bring to thinking about cities - to me it seemed descriptive rather than analytical. There are much more beautiful (and useful) ways to describe the rhythms of space and time than those found in this book.
Tom
Apr 12, 2014 rated it liked it
A moderately interesting account of how rhythm can play a quintessential role in understanding complex social and spatial issues. Lefebvre has quite a few interesting ideas, but fails to supply a convincing practical use for them. I did like his views on cyclical and linear progression of time, but I felt as if 'Rhythmanalysis' is mostly interesting on a poetic level, and not so much on a philosophical level.
Timothy
Jul 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Interesting but thin. In this book, Lefebvre suggests a novel mode of analysis and then (mostly) fails to provide a compelling example of its effectiveness. His point of view is striking and the writing is sometimes pretty; while the book has not much to say, it has the decency to be short.
Kevin
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An amazing little book that significantly advances how social scientists can think about time and incorporate time into their work. This little book has had a major influence on my own work--particularly on my book OBJECTS OF TIME.
Lynn
Jan 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This small book, the length of a long essay, analyses rhythm as a concept with body rhythms in mind. Lefebvre's thinking is inclusive and sometimes complex, but easy to follow. I enjoyed this book, especially the section on music, and will keep it as a reference.
Geoff
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous book. Changes the way you interpret the world. Because of this book I truly understand the perils of Capital.
Jessie
Jul 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Interesting concepts, but seems a bit unfinished.
Mikel
Apr 23, 2018
Kristupas Sabolius
Aug 17, 2015
nezvanova
rated it did not like it
Jan 31, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Speed and Politics (Semiotext(e) / Foreign Agents)
  • The Accursed Share 2-3: The History of Eroticism and Sovereignty
  • The Ecological Thought
  • Dissensus: On Politics and Aesthetics
  • Fragments: Cool Memories III, 1990-1995
  • Sonic Warfare: Sound, Affect, and the Ecology of Fear
  • The Field of Cultural Production
  • The Fragile Absolute: Or, Why Is the Christian Legacy Worth Fighting For?
  • The Quadruple Object
  • Technics and Time, 1: The Fault of Epimetheus
  • Reassembling the Social: An Introduction to Actor-Network-Theory
  • Rogues: Two Essays on Reason
  • The Three Ecologies
Henri Lefebvre was a French sociologist, Marxist intellectual, and philosopher, best known for his work on dialectics, Marxism, everyday life, cities, and (social) space. He coined the slogan "the right to the city".
More about Henri Lefebvre

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Hold On to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More Than Peers
    $14.99 $1.99
  • In the Beginning . . .: Science Faces God in the Book of Genesis
    $8.99 $1.99
“The domination–exploitation of human beings begins with animals, wild beasts and cattle; the humans associated with these inaugurated an experience that would turn back against them: killings, stockbreeding, slaughters, sacrifices and (in order better to submit) castration.” 1 likes