Start by marking “Smart and Simple Financial Strategies for Busy People” as Want to Read:
Smart and Simple Financial Strategies for Busy People

Smart and Simple Financial Strategies for Busy People

Are you too busy to pay much attention to your money? Do you worry that maybe you haven't been doing the right things? This book is for you, from Jane Bryant Quinn, the most trusted voice in personal finance today. Her classic bestseller, Making the Most of Your Money, guided a generation toward smart and sensible financial choices. Here she strips away the extras, choosin ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Simon & Schuster

Be the first to ask a question about Smart and Simple Financial Strategies for Busy People

Oct 30, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing
A must read. I wish I had read this ten years ago and then every year since, like an annual financial kick in the pants. The only caveat is that this book was written in 2006, before the subprime mortgage crisis and before the rocketing costs of higher ed, so some parts are out of date. However, the basic concepts haven't changed. I saw that she has a more recent book that seems to cover the same information published in 2008 and title "Making the Most of Your Money Now."

Quinn is very accessible
Greta
Mar 20, 2008 Greta rated it liked it
Shelves: finance
A good overview of the financial basics, with a heavy emphasis on how you can automate the process (set up direct deposits, automatic bill pay, etc.) to streamline your investing, savings, and debt repayment. Although the tone was heavy on the "fear factor" in some places (particularly in the retirement and insurance chapters) compared to Suze Orman's optimistic tone, but overall, Jane Bryant Quinn provided good, basic advice in the major areas of personal finance: debt repayment, insurance, wil ...more
Javier
Jan 28, 2009 Javier rated it liked it
I'm not that busy.
Dwain
Dec 27, 2011 Dwain rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quinn's book was pleasant. Quinn's voice is very motherly and it is so much more comfortable to hear financial advice from somebody's mother than it is to hear it from some overbearing Wall-Street guru. Most of the book is a very quick read, or listen, as the case may be; however, she goes into a lot of detail about very specific products, which can get a little tiresome. For example, Quinn talks about many different kinds of 529, and tells you which states and which companies offer the best opt ...more
Steve
"Smart and Simple Financial Strategies for Busy People" is a good comprehensive general overview of personal finances in life. It introduces most of the types of financial accounts and products one needs to be aware of.

Quinn recommends making a list of all your bank accounts, debts, insurance, retirement accounts, college savings, brokerage house or mutual fund accounts, real estate holdings, and other investments, along with their current values. The list doesn't stop here, though--next to each
Matt
Nov 12, 2008 Matt rated it really liked it
This is a great step by step book that covers everything and gives instruction on who to contact or what to look for when doing all your financial planning. This includees, Insurance, Wills, Trusts, Mortgages, 401Ks, IRAs, what mutual funds to buy, what to avoid, all about diversification, college tuition, and the list goes on. If you want a general understandig of this get the book on tape and listen to it with a pad of paper and a pen.
Kelly
Apr 10, 2011 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: financial
I am very hesitant to read anything with the author pictured on the cover—especially any sort of financial advice book. That said, this short and sweet book has good basic advice for anyone who doesn't want to delve too deep into personal finance but does not want to raked over the coals by the financial products industry.
Aasim Waheed
Feb 29, 2016 Aasim Waheed rated it did not like it
I couldn't find anything in this book that was for "busy people"! I'd skip this one and read "Start Late, Finish Rich" by David Bach instead, which is much better by far, in my opinion (see comments elsewhere in my book list). This book has a better section on iife insurance and wills. My rating 3/10.
Lisa
Jan 26, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it
(Non-Fiction, Financial) This book provides a great overview for financial strategies. Quinn lays a fantastic groundwork for anyone with any amount of money to get their finances headed in a positive direction and keep them headed that way with minimal work. Her book is set up as a to-do list, so I found myself marking steps and to-dos to become more financially organized. Highly recommended!
Janelle
Simple and straightforward guide to basic financial health and investing. I recommend the audiobook if you want a good introduction to these concepts; if you want to actually put the program she describes and the included exercises into practice, get the book itself, as one is unlikely to take notes while, for example, listening to the audio book in the car.
Renee Pie
Apr 21, 2016 Renee Pie rated it it was ok
The copy I got from the library was from 2006 and is wildly out of date. Because the info is so outdated, rendering much of it useless, I wouldn't even recommend it to folks trying to learn money basics.
Lychee
Jan 15, 2008 Lychee rated it really liked it
I finally have a financial plan thanks to this book (on cd)! I've listened to three or four books about financial management and this one reinforced what I learned from the others, helped me choose between competing adivce, plus put it all together. Now I have to enact my plan.
Rayfes Mondal
Aug 09, 2016 Rayfes Mondal rated it really liked it
The title says it all. I didn't learn anything and thought it was a bit too simplistic but there wasn't really anything I disagreed with except about ETFs not being everyday investors though the book was written in '06 when those and retirement target date mutual funds were still new too.
Leanda
Aug 19, 2014 Leanda rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and learned a lot of useful tips. I liked her "hands off" saving and investing approach. I'd reccomend this book to anyone who wants a basic introduction to investing, saving, and insurance plans.
Aaron Beitch
Jul 08, 2013 Aaron Beitch rated it it was amazing
Very clear summary of a ton of different investing topics and good advice as well.
Dagny
Oct 12, 2016 Dagny rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Good revew
LK
Feb 16, 2008 LK added it
Not a fun read -- what's fun about finances? -- but I do think this is going to help me make some choices. I wish I'd read it 10 years ago.
Ravi
Sep 10, 2016 Ravi rated it it was amazing
Absolute must for busy people!
Carmen
Apr 09, 2008 Carmen rated it really liked it
I read this for the advice on how to save for kids college and invest for retirement. Solid, straight forward advice and detailed when I wanted it to be.
Lucy
Jan 02, 2011 Lucy rated it it was amazing
very helpful for people who want to build up our financial health.
Asriel
Jan 28, 2013 Asriel rated it it was amazing
A must-read for anyone looking to set their financial house in order. Quinn details everything from how to set up automatic bill payments to wills and living wills to retirement savings.
Cari
Aug 06, 2012 Cari rated it really liked it
I read it a few years ago and just borrowed it again to re-read the mortgage chapter.

For a book about personal finance, it's very good.
Tara
Feb 05, 2011 Tara rated it really liked it
This book has a lot of clear, simple financial and organizational advice that I still refer to today, several years after first reading it.
Josephine Fleming
Josephine Fleming rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2017
Stephen
Stephen rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2015
Marsha Lynn
Marsha Lynn rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2015
Anubhav
Anubhav rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Curtis
Curtis rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Russ Walicki
Russ Walicki rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning
  • The Money Game
  • Wall Street Meat: My Narrow Escape from the Stock Market Grinder
  • The Only Guide to a Winning Investment Strategy You'll Ever Need: The Way Smart Money Invests Today
  • Wall Street: How It Works and for Whom
  • Origins of the Crash: The Great Bubble and Its Undoing
  • The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need
  • Capital Ideas: The Improbable Origins of Modern Wall Street
  • Bull: A History of the Boom and Bust, 1982-2004
  • The Wall Street Journal Guide to Understanding Money and Investing
  • Technical Analysis Explained: The Successful Investor's Guide to Spotting Investment Trends and Turning Points
  • Jim Cramer's Stay Mad for Life: Get Rich, Stay Rich (Make Your Kids Even Richer)
  • Secrets of the Temple: How the Federal Reserve Runs the Country
  • Where Are the Customers' Yachts?: Or a Good Hard Look at Wall Street
  • The Investor's Manifesto: Preparing for Prosperity, Armageddon, and Everything in Between
  • Understanding Grammar for Powerful Communication (The Modern Scholar: Way with Words, Vol. 3)
  • Missed Fortune 101: A Starter Kit to Becoming a Millionaire
  • The Art of the Catapult: Build Greek Ballistae, Roman Onagers, English Trebuchets, and More Ancient Artillery