Start by marking “For Every One” as Want to Read:
For Every One

For Every One

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  5,270 ratings  ·  1,125 reviews
Originally performed at the Kennedy Center for the unveiling of the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial, and later as a tribute to Walter Dean Myers, this stirring and inspirational poem is New York Times bestselling author and National Book Award finalist Jason Reynolds’s rallying cry to the dreamers of the world.

For Every One is just that: for every one. For every one person
Published April 10th 2018 by Atheneum/Caitlyn Dlouhy Books

To ask other readers questions about For Every One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Every One

·  5,270 ratings  ·  1,125 reviews

Emily May
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, 2018
I saw this in the Goodreads Choice Award nominations for Best Poetry and thought I'd check it out!

It's a super quick read - thirty minutes max. - but it's pretty hard-hitting without being cheesy. That's the one reason I can never get into "motivational" reads: it's almost always super cheesy, carpe diem-type stuff. Reynolds, however, doesn't truss it up. His raw and sparse poetry is to the point and unsentimental. Moments like this one are occasional centre pieces, not the foundation of the poe
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Simply inspiring! Jason Reynolds is quickly becoming a favorite author of mine.
Whitney Atkinson
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Netgalley provided me an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review

I'm a simple woman: I see anything by Jason Reynolds, I pounce on it.

This is a poem/letter for "dreamers" in the world. It's as much of testament of Reynolds' trials and errors as much as it is a call-to-action for the readers. The writing style is very clean and this probably only took me 10 minutes to read because it's barely over 100 pages and it's designed in a neat format on the page that plays around with
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars

Jason Reynolds is an author I've been meaning to read for a while now. Usually I am not one for poetry but I've been trying to set aside my prejudices of it lately. Reynolds delivers a powerful letter, one that speaks to all kinds of readers. I really enjoyed this small book, it took about 20 minutes to read and I found myself reading slower to savor the words.

Follow me on ♥ FacebookBlogInstagramTwitter
David Schaafsma
Originally performed at the Kennedy Center for the unveiling of the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial, and later as a tribute to Walter Dean Myers, this short speech by great performer and children’s author Reynolds is vaguely titled, but it is addressed to young people about the importance of dreams. In it the now successful Reynolds reveals how he was unsuccessful most of his life, and never gave up. His principal accomplishment seems to be the fact that he is an inspiration to thousands of kids ...more
Gabby
Short and sweet and inspiring. I listened to the audiobook which was only 25 minutes long, and it was the perfect pick me up. You can tell Jason Reynolds is a great writer and has a true passion for it and I love that. I love the fact that he’s not preaching at you because he’s super successful, he just wants to continue to motivate himself and achieve his dreams, and I found this short book very inspiring and motivating. :)
emily
Jun 17, 2018 added it
this was......underwhelming. and i feel bad saying that because he has a bit at the end directed towards those who didn't like his book/letter/poem (lol) but it was very surface-level, empty rhetoric about dreams and how you shouldn't give up. it feels like literally anyone could have written this and includes sentiments and phrases that i'm sure tons of people have shared before. it wasn't anything knew, he used too many metaphors in strange ways and i couldn't always keep track of which metaph ...more
Lata
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A quick read of an inspirational poem aimed at younger readers, exhorting them to dream, to have courage, and to take action.
The words, while not groundbreaking, are heartfelt, and I would have liked to have read the sentiments when I was much younger and wondering what direction I should go.
Krista Regester
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The truth is
our dreams could be
as far away as forever
or as close as lunchtime.

Trevor
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was ok

Rida Imran
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
I read Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds this year and absolutely loved it.

I'm not a fan of self help books. But this was nominated for best poetry in the in the Goodreads Choice Awards and I wanted to read more of Jason Reynolds.

There's something very magical about the way he writes. It's art. This letter to a dreamer is so short yet hard hitting. There's so much meaning and so much feeling behind this. It's beautiful.

This book is For Every One!
Critterbee❇
Beautiful. Everyone would benefit from reading this letter/poem of dreaming and jumping and persisting and accepting.

"Your dream is the mole
and the acknowledgement
and appreciation of
the beauty happening around
you does that."

Jason Reynolds, I love you.

*eARC Netgalley*
inspiring and uplifting
Tam_ the_ med_bookie
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Flawless!!!
I really loved this one.
So. Damn. Inspiring!
The whole book has been written as a letter in words like four line poems : short, clear and delivering👍
The basic theme is to go for your dreams NO MATTER WHAT AND HOW OLD YOU ARE.
I so needed to read something like this.
And hellaluyah! I got this at the perfect time.
The lines are so pure and so damn motivating.
There's no turning back when you pick up this one.
Kudos to Jason👍
Melissa Veras
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars! I don't usually read this kind of books, but it was not bad at all. I enjoyed it.
Kallie.C
This book was more of a short, quick read for me. Yet it was a fast read it was also a little hard to understand at times only because there wasn't much of a story to it. In which there wasn't a lot to the book. It was inspirational because it was almost like a book filled with small notes that were encouraging. I liked this book as a quick read because normally I tend to read books that take a lot longer to finish and so it was good to switch it up.
Heather Taake
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every time I think I can’t love him more than I already do, Jason Reynolds makes me love him more than I already do. I want to read this book/letter/poem to every single one of my students—past and present— read it out loud to myself every day, read it from a loud speaker as I drive down the road, read it everywhere to everyone. This book is for every one.
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, netgalley
This review originally appeared on Novel Ink.

This poem/letter came along at exactly the time I needed to read it. I had been through a rough few weeks, and this was just… everything I needed to keep me going. (Once again, Jason Reynolds saves the day.) But seriously, this was a fantastic poem I think everyone would benefit from reading. Reynolds’s poetry is so m
Danielle
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A letter of encouragement for dreamers, and for anyone thinking of giving up on a dream.
Aliza Werner
A letter to himself. A letter to the dreamers. Jason Reynolds setting words on fire...per usual.
Kelly
This would be the kind of book you gift young people graduating. The takeaway of ~take the leap~ is one I think coming from someone like Reynolds really works well.

The design of the book is also super appealing, and I can see readers coming back to this one again and again.
Kate
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, j-nonfic
Jason flipping Reynolds!
Lauren Stoolfire
Never give up on your dreams. I highly recommend as read by the author, it's an incredibly powerful yet short listen.
Kristina
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s real. It’s quick. And it’s worth the time.
Erika
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When life gives you lemons, read Jason Reynolds. Lord, this man! This poetic letter to every one is for everyone. The dreamers. The doubters. The hijacked. The prospered. Those afraid. Those with courage. The jumpers. Whichever you are...JUMP.
Molly Dettmann
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I want to curl up in these words, share them, and live them.
Melissa ~ Missy (FrayedBooks)
read this and more reviews on Frayed Books:

For Every One is just that – for everyone. I listened to the audiobook, which is read by Jason himself, and I highly recommend it. It’s only about 30 minutes long so it’s a quick read or listen – but so powerful, you’ll immediately want to read it again. (Which, yes, I did hit “replay” after I finished it once.)

Jason speaks so honestly in For Every One; “I have yet to see my own dream made tangible.” He speaks to the drea
Bruna Miranda
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For Every One é uma carta sobre sonhos e como alcança-los; mas sem fórmula mágica, sem receita, sem planejamento. Sonhos são sonhos e todo mundo tem, independente de quem é, do que faz ou do que quer fazer.

Se você tem 30min no seu dia, escute For Every One e respire fundo. Jason Reynolds é, na minha opinião, um dos melhores autores da atualidade.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
A short, yet powerful read to never give up on your dreams! Jason Reynolds has a way with words. This book will make you realize that on the road less traveled, you're not alone. On the dreams you feel as though have passed you by, really haven't. No matter the fear, the obstacle etc, JUST JUMP! This book makes the perfect gift. It's the motivational speech that everyone needs.
  • One Last Word: Wisdom from the Harlem Renaissance
  • When Green Becomes Tomatoes: Poems for All Seasons
  • Firefly July: A Year of Very Short Poems
  • That Is My Dream!
  • Flutter and Hum / Aleteo y Zumbido: Animal Poems / Poemas de Animales
After earning a BA in English from The University of Maryland, College Park, he moved to Brooklyn, New York, where you can often find him walking the four blocks from the train to his apartment talking to himself. Well, not really talking to himself, but just repeating character names and plot lines he thought of on the train, over and over again, because he’s afraid he’ll forget it all before he ...more
“Dreams don't have timelines, deadlines, and aren't always in straight lines.” 17 likes
“Your dream is the mole