Start by marking “Monster Among the Roses (Fairy Tale Quartet, #1)” as Want to Read:
Monster Among the Roses (Fairy Tale Quartet, #1)

Monster Among the Roses

(Fairy Tale Quartet #1)

“Do you know how to get to the rose garden?”
“No, you can’t go there. A monster lives there.”

Shaw Hollander is desperate.
Broke, unemployed, and determined to help his ailing mother, he falls on the good graces of a wealthy benefactor who is willing to give Shaw a job at his mansion in order to pay off his mother’s debts. Suddenly finding himself surrounded by lavish riches,
Paperback, First, 296 pages
Published July 25th 2017 by Linda Kage

To ask other readers questions about Monster Among the Roses, please sign up.
Linda Kage Hi! No, the whole series does not feature Shaw and Isobel. I know they'll have a cameo role in book two, but each story is a standalone about differen…moreHi! No, the whole series does not feature Shaw and Isobel. I know they'll have a cameo role in book two, but each story is a standalone about different characters who'll all get to know each other by the end. The fairy tale aspect is what's making it a series. Here's a link about them if you're curious for more information or want to keep updated as to where they are in the writing process: http://lindakage.com/wip(less)

Start your review of Monster Among the Roses (Fairy Tale Quartet, #1)
Ramona Popescu

I love Linda Kage and I’ve missed her stories so much!! When I saw that she was releasing another series I was so excited and seeing that the topic was slightly changed than the “Forbidden Series” made me more curious about reading it.

“Monster Among the Roses” is one of the sweetest and most heart melting stories I have read in this period and I feel very fortunate to discover it and enjoy it the way I did. Linda got her inspiration from Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” and she did a fantastic jo
Aestas Book Blog
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it

“Do you know how to get to the rose garden?”
“No, you can’t go there. A monster lives there.”

FAIRYTALE FANS, THIS IS FOR YOU!! As a huge Beauty and the Beast fan, I was drawn to this book from the moment I heard about it. It's a modern twist on the beloved fairytale, however this version is very different because it is the opposite story! In this one the "beast" is the heroine and the "beauty" who falls in love with her is the hero!

Shaw Hollander is desperate.
Broke, unemploye
Lover of Romance
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance

In Monster Among The Roses we have a enchanting contemporary fairy tale romance with a unique twist on the tale "Beauty and the Beast". In this book, there are many similarities with the original fairy tale. But there are also some distinct differences as well. What I found most unique was seeing the way this story unfolded.

Our beautiful love story begins with our hero, who has recently learned that his mother's shop is falling behind, th
Irene Sim
More like 3,5 Stars.
This story presents a different take on the classic fairy-tale. It was a fun and fast read with interesting characters. I love Linda Kage's "Forbidden Men" series but this one didn't stand out as much.
Nadine Wilmschen
4.5 'hidden beauty' stars

To be honest, I'm not a fan of fairy tale retellings. The main reason is that I rarely (let's call it 'never') read one, which I liked.

But this is Linda Kage and since I read everything Linda writes... Here I am!

I've read the fabulous Kissing the Boss (Fairy Tale Quartet #2) (the second book in this series /out in March) last week and I'm sooo in love with the story. That book caused a major book slump.

... and so reading the first book again was the only option.

'Mons
Ceki
Sep 20, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish
Recommended to Ceki by: Nijela
Shelves: romance, retellings
DNF

My friend recommended this book to me but she forgot to mention that the hero acts like an 18-year-old girl instead of a 28-year-old man :P
Seriously, he was blushing and gulping all the time, it was awkward and off-putting!

The author tried to write the reverse Beauty and the Beast story from the male's perspective but she failed imo.
Alexandra
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2017
I received an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review. Review and blog tour can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

I am a sucker for every reteliing of Beauty and the Beast! And after seeing that Linda Kage, one of my most favorite authors was writing one, I couldn't help but jump from excitement!

Shaw and Isobel were a great couple, even if they had quite a rough start. In fact, I didn't like Isobel much at first but after seeing how deep her emotional scars went, I warmed up to her.

Now Shaw on the
Marquise
A nice 'n' fluffy little romantic retake of Beauty and the Beast in modern times. Rather clichéd if you know your romance tropes well, but entertainingly told, easy to read, and with the most adorable main male character in all my recent reads. For the latter, it gets an extra point from me. ...more
Lucy Baldock
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m a big fan of Linda Kage’s other books but this one wasn’t quite at the level I was expecting from her. Don’t get me wrong I liked the story, especially since it was a Beauty and the Beast retelling and that is my favourite fairytale ever! This book just seemed a little dragged out in places and then rushed in others, and it just never quite peaked like I was expecting.

So first of all I want to say I really liked Shaw he was a genuinely sweet caring guy and it’s rare you read about guys like
Kristen Johnson
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite things in teh book world is fairy tale retellings. Whether it's a retold version, or modernized, or some other twist on the classic - I love them. Monster Among the Roses is one of my new favorites. A retelling of sorts of Beauty and the Beast, this story delivers a role reversal within it and a bit of a twist on the classic tale, but with it delivers a powerful story.

In an effort to help his mother, Shaw goes to one of the richest men in the town, offering his servitude in a
Lisa :)
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a surprisingly good read. I mean, not really since it‘s a Linda Kage book but I usually don‘t read fairy tale retellings to be perfectly honest. I don’t even like fairy tales all that much (except the Disney versions). Have you ever read the Brother Grimm‘s Tales? They are fucking brutal!

Anyways, I‘m getting off topic here :D

Linda Kage did an exceptionally good job with the retelling of Beauty and the Beast.

Shaw is such a wonderful hero. He is sweet, patient, and kind. The world would be a
Vivi
4 stars!

This was a pretty cute and sweet retelling of The Beauty and the Beast .

Except here our Beauty is 28 year-old Shaw and the Beast is 25 year-old Isobel.

I enjoyed how different this was from the original fairytale and how well written it was. The romance was sweet and true... And I liked the characters here.

This book was fun to read and the ending definitely left me curious about the next book of the series - Kissing the Boss - about Ezra (Isobel's brother) and based on Cinderella.
Cindy
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A timeless fairy tale re-imagined to modern day and the role's reversed but still a great heart touching love story. LOVED it!!

description
Shelby (Book Lovers Have More Fun)
Linda Kage has ALWAYS been one of my FAVORITE authors, so when I found out she was doing a Fairy Tale Series... I. Freaked. Out. And then the first one was based off Beauty and the Beast?! I bet you can imagine my excitement. ;)

Monster Among the Roses was a very realistic and beautiful retelling of a modern Beauty and the Beast. I REALLY liked the gender reversal for the two main characters. I loved whenever there was anything even remotely related to the classic fairy tale. Shaw became one of
Emily (Mrs B's Books)
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing

This is a re-telling of the story of Beauty and the Beast, but with a role reversal. The beast Isobel, a woman scared by fired and who has isolated herself from the world. Shaw is our beauty and the story is told from his point of view.

Shaw has a wonderful, yet very soft heart and it is with that he gets Isobel to open up to him and to do things out of her structured day.

I was crying at a few points in the book as
★ Belle The Bibliophile ★
Jul 27, 2017 marked it as not-interested-anymore
I was so excited to read this one because I love my twisted fairytale retellings. I've also been searching for Beauty and the Beast retellings where the Beauty isn't a "beauty."

That's why I'm so mad that this book is written in Hero's POV because now I can't read it!!! So disappointed :( I think it would have been a lot more interesting had the book be written in the heroine's POV to be honest.

But anyway, I'm still looking forward for other releases from this author! 💗
Mayte Urse
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perfect!
Anne Z.
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For reviews and links to book/author please visit my blog Glimpses of Me and Instagram

WOW!
This was so so so good! It delivered in every possible way.

"I trust you with my heart. Giving you the truth was easy"

It is hard to find well written retellings for adults, young adults? yah... there are tons. New Adult/Adult not so much. Even less retellings not involving fantasy and magic. THIS however, THIS was pure perfection. I loved every single thing about it!

Here is the blurb for you sunnies:

“Do yo
Micheala

I didn't like this nearly as much as I thought nor hoped. I love Linda Kage's Forbidden Men series and when I found out she was writing a new one involving fairytale retellings I was thrilled. But his book almost didn't seem like her writing.

The story itself was great, which is why for website reasons I bumped this to a 4 star. It was a cute fairytale retelling and more so, switched the genders. The female was the "beast" and male the one "stuck" in the mansion. The "beast" being a gir
Selma
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beauty and the Beast has always been my favorite fairytale. I've read several contemporary romance books inspired by this theme. In this version by Linda Kage the beast is a she and the beauty is a he. That alone was the reason why I couldn't wait to get my grabby hands on this book. There is something so heartwarming about the message that beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. It never gets to old to remind people that physical appearances can sometimes be deceiving. I knew that Linda is goin ...more
Cristina (My Tiny Obsessions)
Read full review HERE

description

Linda Kage has been an author I’ve loved since starting the Forbidden Men series. So, when she asked me if I wanted to review her new series, I jumped at the opportunity.

What I wasn’t expecting was to love this book as much as I did. Monster Among the Roses took my breath away, and I loved it to bits.

First of all, the writing is amazing! This book is told exclusively through Shaw’s POV, and it’s so rare to have a book told only through the guy’s point of view, and I absolute
Tara Clegg
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
*3.5 stars*
Aira  Cabrera
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing

This was such a wonderful read! I enjoyed this more than I thought I would.

Shaw Hollander has no other choice than to seek help from Henry Nash, a powerful and wealthy man. His mother has lost their bakery, and is now bankrupt and has accumulated so much debt. This is Shaw's last chance to help his mother, so when Henry Nash agrees to Shaw's proposal, he can't help but feel relieved and immensely grateful.

I was shocked that this entire book was only in Shaw's POV. I think it would have
Sarah/DragonflyReads
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-review
Monster Among the Roses is Linda Kage's latest standalone in her Fairy Tale Quartet. I see this being a series of complete standalones with a common theme among them.

Ok. So. Monster Among the Roses is loosely based on Beauty and the Beast. I love this concept! Modern day fairy tales give me the warm fuzzies. I thought this story was really sweet and very well written. Linda Kage has a way of getting you immersed into her characters lives and she does it in a special way.

I absolutely loved Shaw
amanda s.
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite
3,5 stars. The plot is promising and the writing is definitely unquestionably good because I've been a huge fan of Linda Kage's book since forever. But somehow the story not as kicking as I thought it would be. Simply because so many things feel rushed. The drama, the grief, even the coaxing. I was expecting a slow approach from Shaw but at the end of the day, Isobel isn't as fragile as I thought she was. Plus the Hero POV is refreshing! I enjoyed it, though personally, I think Shaw is a bit dra ...more
☆.。.:*・°☆Love2Read♡HEAs☆.。.:*・°☆ {Anne}
DNF (Did Not Finish)

I so wanted to finish this! I loved this story very much until sometime after the middle, then I hated the book completely!

It was just one of those sad things where the book & I just couldn't remain friends.
Christie72
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG…ya’ll this is one of my favorite books of 2017 and really one of my favorites EVER! It’s a book that transported me to another place, a place of magic, not fantasy, but the magic of finding your soulmate in someplace you never expected to.

In the opening of the book, Shaw has gone to wealthy Mr. Nash to beg forgiveness of his mother’s debts, and in exchange, he will do whatever Mr. Nash wants him to do. Much to his relief, Mr. Nash just wants him to befriend his daughter, Isobel. It won’t be
Elenasbookblog
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
3,5 roses

I love fairytale retellings and when I saw this story by Linda Kage, I was so intrigued. This is the story of Beauty and the Beast but with a huge twist. Our heroine is the wounded "beast" and our hero is the kind beautiful man that is there to save her!
Shaw is drowning in debts and he doesn't know how to help his injured mom. His only solution is to "sell" himself and his services to a rich benefactor. He doesn't know what that means until he f
Sidhra
For some reason I wasn't sure if I was gonna enjoy reading this, but it was definitely a surprise. I flipping loved it. It was the kind of book where you keep thinking about and itching to get back to when you come to a point where you have no choice but to put the book down. I. WAS. HOOKED.

I found the first two chapters really slow but it picked up pace on the last few words of chapter two and I lost track of time then onwards.

It was a retelling of Beauty and the Beast and probably one of the b
Diana Laura (The Bookish Sisters)
Full blog post here!

Goodness gracious, y’all! My heart melted like an ice cube in the Sahara desert while reading this lovely book. Linda Kage is my go-to when I need a sweet, drama-free romance but this one is a step above the rest. Not only is it sweet and drama-free, it is a modern retelling of my all-time favorite fairy tale with a refreshing twist.

Shaw is the “Belle” in this story. He makes a deal with Isobel’s father in order to save his mother from all of her debts and that’s how he end
« previous 1 3 next »

• Singe (Guardian Protection, #1)
  • Through the Lens
  • Hopeless Romantic (McCabe Brothers, #1)
  • Defying the Odds (Battered Hearts, #1)
  • Dancing on Coals
  • Thoroughly Whipped
  • Fighting Shadows (On the Ropes, #2)
  • Hooker
  • Crossing the Line (Battered Hearts, #3)
  • Girl in Luv (In Luv Duet, #1)
  • The Strike Out (Brentwood Baseball)
  • Win Some, Lose Some
  • Secrets of the World's Worst Matchmaker (The Baileys, #7)
  • The Ending I Want
  • Fighting Solitude (On the Ropes, #3)
  • Until It Fades
  • Operation Bailey Birthday (The Baileys, #9.5)
  • Dating the Quarterback (The Bet Duet, #2)
Linda writes romance fiction from YA to adult, contemporary to fantasy. Most Kage stories lean more toward the lighter, funner side with a couple meaningful moments thrown in that center around love and hope. Focuses more on entertainment value and emotional impact than realism. She likes the drama and crazy, over-the-top plots that make you cry then laugh, get mad then sigh happily.

Published sin

Fairy Tale Quartet (3 books)
  • Kissing the Boss (Fairy Tale Quartet, #2)
  • B & E Ever After (Fairy Tale Quartet, #3)

News & Interviews

“I’m glad you told me. Thank you for trusting me with the truth.”

I looked up and smiled. “I trust you with my heart. Giving you the truth was easy.”
1 likes
“If it’s not how to hide a body, then it’s not going to be a good enough suggestion,” 0 likes