Start by marking “None of Us the Same (Sweet Wine of Youth, #1)” as Want to Read:
None of Us the Same (Sweet Wine of Youth, #1)

None of Us the Same (Sweet Wine of Youth, #1)

2018 Goethe Award for Historical Fiction Finalist & Category Winner
2017 Independent Author Network Book of the Year Finalist
2017 B.R.A.G. Medallion Honoree
2017 Wishing Shelf Book Awards Bronze Medal

Fiery Deirdre Brannigan had opinions on everything. She certainly hated the very idea of war in 1914. Childhood pals Jack Oakley and Will Parsons th
Published May 15th 2017 by Ballybur Publishing

To ask other readers questions about None of Us the Same, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about None of Us the Same

Start your review of None of Us the Same (Sweet Wine of Youth, #1)
Teresa
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is what I would call an 'earthy' read. The author doesn't spare anyone's feelings. The description of the war and the wounds received are practically brutal.
I liked the characters and the history throughout is very interesting. Deirdre is a little over the top for me at the beginning of the book but mellows as the story goes on. The research is very well done. I enjoyed the part set in Ireland as I love anything set here.
It's the first of a trilogy but I'm going to read something lig
Billy Buttons
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was entered in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what our readers thought:
Title: None Of Us the Same

Writing Style: 10/10
Content: 10/10
Cover: 10/10
Of the 21 readers:
21 would read another book by this author.
21 thought the cover was good or excellent.
21 felt it was easy to follow.
21 would recommend this story to ano
Janice Richardson
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-rated
A magnificent work of historical fiction, impeccably researched. History comes alive in this hard to put down WW1/post war story.
Philip Allan
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Accounts and novels of the First World War often heap horror upon unimaginable horror as they describe the slaughter of that conflict. None of Us the Same is a different calibre of work. Jeffery Walker takes the lives of six characters caught up in the conflict, and skilfully weaves their stories through the great events of the war. Five are young men who volunteer to join the Newfoundland regiment, the last is an Irish nurse working behind the lines.

This is the individual’s view of
Lindsay Driemeyer
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
None of Us the Same was a really enjoyable read and a great debut for the author. Mr. Walker creates compelling characters that I look forward to seeing again in his future books. Dierdre is especially memorable and brings a nice element of the experience of WWI beyond those fighting as soldiers. Mr. Walker’s dialogue and scene descriptions really bring you into the story and the unique geographical settings (such as Newfoundland). He used enough historical detail to give a sense of the WWI-era ...more
Pam Henry
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Walker has written a gem of a novel. In this, the first book in his Sweet Wine of Youth trilogy, he paints a vivid picture of life in Newfoundland and Ireland just before, during and after World War I. The battle scenes bring to light the horror, frustration and fatigue of that war. The characters are smartly drawn, with a vulnerability that makes them seem real and familiar. This book is meticulously researched which is evident through language as well as historical detail. A bit of an emot ...more
david
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An extremely well-written book. Great character development. Numerous twists and turns in the story but introduced at a pace that makes for easy, enjoyable reading. In my opinion it seems quite evident that the author did extensive research prior to putting pen to paper. I'm eagerly awaiting volume 2 in this trilogy AND hoping the wait is brief.
Sarah Zama
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’ve read quite a few novels recently that in a way or another involve WWI and veterans from that war. None of Us the Same by Jaffrey Walker is the first one that truly rings authentic. It’s a very subtle line. It isn’t easy for me to say what it is that makes this story different, because also the other novels I’ve read were very well-researched. The different isn’t in the research itself, I believe, it’s more in the personal experience an author can put into their story.
Jeffrey is a vete
Kathy
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: men and women who enjoy historical fiction, great characters, captivating stories
Jeffrey K. Walker has created a captivating novel which does something remarkable- it plants the reader smack dab in the horror of the French trenches, then follows those lucky enough to survive to the hospital where doctors and nurses, themselves overwrought from the enormity of the wounded, care tirelessly and selflessly for their patients, then carries the reader through the beautifully drawn main characters’ struggles to forge a new way forward, all the while keeping the reader hopeful and e ...more
Forrest Fairall
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book with phenomenal research. I loved the character development and felt close to them and what they were going through.
I also enjoyed that it started with a group of friends from one country and a family from another and followed their paths and then made it easy to introduce new characters.
The descriptions of the times and surroundings was excellent. It really gave me a good view into the time period.
Don Inman
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
PTSD

This novel provides great insight into the psychological effect that war has on the people who experienced it. Not all wounds are visible is the mantra of today’s veterans. This was not the case at the beginning of the 20th century. Especially in the character of Will Parsons who suffered more from what he experienced than his wound.
Monica Dentino
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jeffrey K. Walker took me to a place I had never been and a time I wasn't alive and made them both familiar with this compelling drama loaded with elements of life and death and beautifully tender friendships. I really liked the journey of Volume 1 and am anxious to follow this group onto Volume 2.
Helen Hollick
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book has received a Discovering Diamonds Review:
Helen Hollick
founder #DDRevs

'a very realistic portrayal of the consequences of war'
gj indieBRAG
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that -NONE OF US THE SAME by Jeffrey K. Walker is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells a reader that this book is well worth their time and money!
Kathy

• The Stillwater Girls
  • Far as the Eye Can See
  • The Beantown Girls
  • Conspiracy of Lies
  • The Killing Code (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #3)
  • A Litter of Bones (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #1)
  • Luck and Judgement  (D.C. Smith #3)
  • The Half-life of Hannah
  • Lucy's Last Straw: A feel good, laugh out loud romantic comedy
  • The Orphan's Plight
  • The Girl From the Corner Shop
  • When I Was Yours
  • And in the Morning (Sheridans, #2)
  • Barefoot in the Bindis
JEFFREY K. WALKER is a Midwesterner, born in what was once the Glass Container Capital of the World. A retired military officer, he served in Bosnia and Afghanistan, planned the Kosovo air campaign and ran a State Department program in Baghdad. He’s been shelled, rocketed and sniped by various groups, all with bad aim. He’s lived in ten states and three foreign countries, managing to get degrees f ...more