Start by marking “Elegant Objects (Volume 2)” as Want to Read:
Elegant Objects (Volume 2)

Elegant Objects (Volume 2)

Published by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Elegant Objects, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elegant Objects

Start your review of Elegant Objects (Volume 2)
Dariusz Mydlarz
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not as good as volume 1. But still entertaining and gives food for thought.
What I like is that it is briefly written, so you go through it very quickly.
And chapter about ORM is very interesting and mind blowing a bit.
It gives totally different perspective about saving data to DB than any other resource.
And after reading Vol 1 & Vol 2, you can eventually agree with author's approach.
Despite it's very hard to use in a real projects.

Making long story short: if liked vol 1, you can also buy this one
Gerard Hovanessyan
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Continuing the same ideas from volume 1, volume 2 uncovers the pitfalls and trade offs of modern frameworks, which violate the OOP principals.
In most companies some of the ideas are impossible to apply.
Nevertheless I see this book as really valuable for anyone using frameworks like dependency injection containers and ORM, without being aware of the trade offs.
In my observations new/young developers that have been introduced to Spring/SpringBoot and Hibernate have no idea of the problems these f
Bernie Noel
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
To be honest, the second volume is even better than the first one. It is way more practical and has much larger and more complex examples. The first one was pretty abstract and high-level for me. However, I don't think it's possible to understand the second one if you didn't read the first :)
Оксана Семенкова
We live in the time of frameworks and tonnes of generated code.
And many of us forget (or even don't know!) core principles of technologies and paradigms
which are placed under all these facades. As for me this is awful and need to be corrected.
This book is the perfect example of clear line of engineering thinking which should have every of us.
Read it if you want to know as much as possible about core basis of OOP. Read it if you want to be
open-minded programmer who sees this world without stamp
Andrey Valyaev
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I knew that objects should be made small (SRP). But only after reading the book began to understand how small they should be. This allowed me to take a fresh look at the code I'm writing.

OOP, which Yegor preaches is very different from traditional representations. And it's probably gently said. I began to write differently. It's difficult. And who said that it should be easy?

Of the minuses I would like to note the binding to java, some techniques are relevant only for it. That does not reduce th
Eduards Sizovs
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book. There are parts of the book that lack strong arguments (e.g. a case against dependency injection). Nevertheless, I highly recommend this book as it will make your OO code better. You will also re-think some of the things you've been always doing as a programmer. Must read!
Justin Smith
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yegor is an iconclast and a heretic but I couldn't help belieiving in his utopian vision.
Ismail Mayat
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
With volumes the authors main premise is that OO we are doing is not real OO but procedural with some OO.

He provides plenty of examples and alternatives in parts its opinionated, for me I will take what I can and apply my line is pragmatism over dogma. The real eye opener is seeing a class for what it is and not what it does and it's all about simplicity and maintainability.

Really enjoyed both volumes you will have un learn and re think OO norms.
Daniel Koller
Aug 25, 2019
Filipe Freire
Oct 21, 2017
Haf
rated it did not like it
May 03, 2018
Michał
Dec 06, 2017
Andriy Kryvtsun
May 23, 2019
Yegor Bugayenko
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
« previous 1 3 next »

• Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • Clean Architecture
  • The Rational Male
  • Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life
  • Falling in Love with Where You Are: A Year of Prose and Poetry on Radically Opening Up to the Pain and Joy of Life
  • Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion
  • The Next Person You Meet in Heaven
  • The Effective Engineer: How to Leverage Your Efforts In Software Engineering to Make a Disproportionate and Meaningful Impact
  • Islamic Empires: Fifteen Cities that Define a Civilization
  • Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • Introduction to Logic
  • Code Craft: The Practice of Writing Excellent Code

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Yegor is a CEO at Zerocracy, a software platform for management; a VC at SeedRamp.com; a regular blogger at www.yegor256.com; a proud holder of PMP and OCMEA certifications; a hands-on Java developer and a lead architect of Rultor.com and Takes.org. Yegor lives in Palo Alto, CA and Moscow, Russia. ...more

News & Interviews