Start by marking “Floaty” as Want to Read:
Floaty

Floaty

Blah! Mr. Raisin is a bit of a grump. He lives all alone in a little house, and he likes it that way just fine.

One day, a mysterious basket appears on Mr. Raisin’s doorstep. When he opens it up, it seems there’s nothing inside . . . until he notices a floating dog bobbing along his ceiling.

What follows is a heartwarming, hilarious tale about embraci
Published January 23rd 2018 by Henry Holt & Company

To ask other readers questions about Floaty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Floaty

Garrett
Feb 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: story-time
Oh, boy--can you imagine the trouble that Floaty and Papillon could get into?! We need to figure out why these animals are floating! It's probably the fluoride in the drinking water--THE GOVERNMENT IS MAKING OUR PETS FLOAT AWAY AND NO ONE IS PAYING ATTENTION! WAKE UP! BUT YOU PROBABLY WOULD JUST FLOAT AWAY TOO BECAUSE YOU'RE ALL SHEEPLE!
Katya Vinogradova
Lovely, heartfelt, adventurous, imaginative, funny.
The story and illustrations reminded me of Up! with a dog instead of a boy.
A wonderful example of how you could live your whole life thinking you don't need anybody, and then someone walks (or floats) into your life, and then you have no idea how you ever lived without them.
And how you would do anything to get them back if they ever left you.
Wonderful!
Sara
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I want a puppy that floats...
Michael Perez
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This is just too adorbs.
Pam
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Story was cute and the illustrations are clever. However, it felt like there were gaps in the overall tale.
Amy
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed for School Library Journal, January 2018.
PreS-Gr 2 –Mr. Raisin is a grouchy old misanthrope who doesn’t like anything but sewing. When he discovers a basket at his front door containing a puppy, he is not amused. To add insult to injury, this is no ordinary animal but a floating one; in fact, this pooch never touches the ground. Realizing he can’t just kick it outside (the puppy would simply float away) he begrudgingly brings it into his home. What follows are hilarious scenes of Mr. R
Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob)
I thought this was cute - it was a bit predictable, but, still a nice fun picture book.
Barbara
Although the idea of a dog that isn't very well grounded since it floats through the air is an odd one, this story does have a heartwarming ending. Curmudgeonly Mr. Raisin prefers his solitary life spent indulging in his favorite hobby--sewing. His solitude is interrupted by the arrival of a basket with a warning note about the troublesome nature of its contents, a puppy that floats. The puppy is, indeed, quite a bit of trouble, and disrupts Mr. Raisin's routine, forcing him to take it for walks ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Himmelman, John Floaty. PICTURE BOOK. Henry Holt (Macmillan), 2018. $18. 978125128058

This is the story of a grumpy old man named Mr. Raisin who only likes to sew. One day he receives an anonymous gift of a puppy –a puppy who floats. Mr. Raisin finds creative ways to take care of the dog and finds himself growing to love it. One day “Floatys” leash breaks and he floats off into the sky –will the pair be reunited.

I was SO excited to see a picture book by the author of the Bunjitzu Bun
Abigail
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Amusing Children's Stories About People & Their Dog Friends
Grumpy old Mr. Raisin, who liked to sew, but didn't like anything else, finds a basket containing a floating dog on his doorstep one day. Reluctantly taking the pooch in, since otherwise he'd float away, Mr. Raisin slowly grows to care for his new canine companion. But when his leash breaks one day, and Floaty floats away, is it the end of this new friendship...? Not if Mr. Raisin has anything to do with it!

By turns amusing and poignant, author/artist John Himmelman's Floaty is a picture-b
Katie
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, storytime
All the feels! I actually hugged the book when I finished it.
A grumpy old man finds a puppy in a basket on his front set one day. The pup is special-he floats around. The man, Mr. Raisin quickly finds himself taking care of the quirky dog. Disaster hits when their leash breaks, the Floaty floats away. Mr. Raisin realizes he loves Floaty and tries to get him back, watches for him from the roof, and sends food into the air with balloons. Happily, Mr. Raisin comes up with an idea that saves the da
Amber Webb
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Floaty by John Himmelman was an instant hit in our household. Who doesn't love a dog story? Take one old, grumpy man and enter a floating little dog. The story grows in love and spirit from there. Mr. Raisin likes his life quiet and solo, so he thinks. Slowly but surely, he falls in love with this "too much trouble" dog. It is only when Floaty goes missing that Mr. Raisin realizes just how much he loves that dog and what lengths he is willing to go to get Floaty back. Floaty was an endearing sto ...more
McKenzie Richardson
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

Adorable. Absolutely adorable.

This is such a cute book. It's random and weird, but so, so cute.

In the book, a cranky old man finds a surprise on his porch and slowly becomes less cranky.

The story is simply told with great cartoon-y illustrations. Because the storytelling is so simple, it feels a little disjointed at the end, but I still found it enjoyable.

I just can't get over how cute this book was. I love Floaty and I'll a
Brittany
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a cute story indeed. It reminded me of the movie Up and the book Papillon, by A.N. Kang. I only gave it 4 stars because it felt like there were some gaps in the story, like some small part was missing and it didn't flow well from page to page. Overall, the story itself was a cute one and one that kids are sure to enjoy time and time again. But one thing that did plague me...why did Floaty float in the first place. The world may never know.
Julie
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, dog
Someone abandons a floating dog on Mr. Raisin's door. I like this book for many different reasons but two stand out. One, Mr. Raisin sews. It's not often you find a man, much less an old man, who sews in literature these days. Two, Mr. Raisin is about to send Floaty off into the sky when he stops and realizes the consequences of that action and how much Floaty will suffer. So he takes him in and grows to love him. Just the right mix of cranky and adorable!
Maria Hatzialexiou
What a sweet and different story! I can already imagine a classroom full is students worry about Floaty while he is up in the air floating farther and farther away from Mr. Raisin. This book would be great for activities! Students could come up with other ways for Mr. Raisin to get Floaty back. Children love animals and I know they will love this story! Seeing someone who may normally be grouchy can be broken down and learn to love the sweetest animal.
Jim Erekson
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
This was a fun story because of how sewing ended up saving the day. It was a simple plot device, not entirely predictable, and the timing was good. Maybe a little too close to "Up!"
There is some decent complementary relationship between words and pictures, but it comes and goes. I wish illustrators would realize that they don't need a picture of someone climbing down a ladder when the words already say "He climbed down from the roof."
Jillian
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
First of all, HOW DARE YOU. MY HEART CANNOT HANDLE THIS.

Second of all, although I love the concept, the execution let a bit to be desired. The story felt choppy in places. The first act stretched on to the point that the third act is covered in a page and a half. There are some definite gaps to be filled in.

And my nerves can't handle the plot. :-p
The Brothers
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A grumpy old man receives (unsolicited) a dog that is very difficult to care for because he floats. The man reluctantly takes on the task and learns to love the dog. But one day, the leash breaks and the dog floats off! The man uses his unique skills and a healthy dose of persistence and saves his beloved pet.

Illustrations are charming! Love John HImmelman.
Juliana Lee
Mr. Raisin was a grumpy old man who receives a surprise package at the door... a dog who floats! Mr. Raisin doesn't want the dog but doesn't want him floating away, so he ends up taking care of the dog and learns to love him. Trouble happens when Floaty's leash breaks and a storm approaches. Then Mr. Raisin does something he never thought he'd ever do, he rescues Floaty and brings him back home.
e.  ellor
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't think this book could be any more adorable. My son instantly fell in love with the dog and the old man. The story is predictable if you're an adult but each page contains a wonderfully illustrated, imaginative, moment that will have your kids giggling. The little speech bubbles are an added bonus as a fun chance to get your kid to practice sounding out words.
mary dewley
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it
"As Floaty disappeared into the clouds, Mr. Raisin realized much he loved his dog." I thoroughly enjoyed this picture book by John Himmelman. Wasn't quite sure why Floaty would go "wiff" instead of "bark."
Caroline
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
This picture books is about an old man, Mr. Raisin, who lives alone and likes to sew. When he finds a dog at his door step he isn't thrilled, but eventually learns to appreciate him.

A cute picture book.
Christina
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was very confused by this book. There seems to be a big gap in the storytelling near the edge. I kept checking to see if there was a page missing or something! While the idea is cute, the illustrations aren't great and the story feels disjointed.
Susan
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction

My kindergarten granddaughter read this book to me while we wait for the New Year. It is the only book in my 2018 challenge that I did not read myself. Cute story, maybe a little too long, but well illustrated. Its worth the read!!
Alyx Campbell
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it
For some reason, I think I was expecting more out of this book. It will certainly make children giggle and has a cartoonish feel to it. I think it would make a fine read aloud, and maybe someone could make a nice flannel for this one!
SaraKat
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was one of those books that has words that sometimes don't match the pictures so the pictures really add to the narrative. And it has a grumpy old man begrudgingly befriending a pooch, so instant winner in my eyes.
Lynn
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Blah! Who wants a pet that floats away? Too Much Trouble thinks grumpy Mr. Raisin. But soon, Mr. Raisin decides his unusual pet is just the right amount of trouble.

Very funny and totally off-the-wall. Loved the illustrations.
Ames Public Library Youth Services
A sweet story about a man who has his life changed about the arrival of a pet. What sets this book apart is that the puppy that comes into Mr. Raisin's life floats.

Cute illustrations with a great sense of humor!

-dmz
Holly
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
An endearing and fun story with just the right amount of trouble.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Excellent Ed
  • The Rough Patch
  • A Dog Named Doug
  • Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths
John Himmelman is the author and illustrator of more than sixty books for children, including Chickens to the Rescue. He lives in Connecticut with his family.

According John's Facebook page, he has been "making up stories and scribbling pictures since I could hold a crayon in my hand. It became my job in 1981, when my first book, "Talester the Lizard" was published during my last year i
“You're not too much trouble. You're just the right amount of trouble.” 0 likes