Start by marking “Color of Violence: The INCITE! Anthology” as Want to Read:
Color of Violence: The INCITE! Anthology

Color of Violence: The INCITE! Anthology

What would it take to end violence against women of color? How does the mainstream antiviolence movement help? How does it hinder? When will we admit that repositioning women of color at the center of the movement--women more often harmed by the police, prisons, and border patrols than aided by them--means that we must address state violence?

In Color of Violence, INCITE! d
Published August 1st 2006 by South End Press

Overall, this is an excellent radical feminist/womanist anthology. As with any anthology, there are a few duds, but overall it asks critical questions about the nature, scope, impact, and response to violence for women of color. Some of my favorite articles were:

Federal Indian Law and Violent Crime by Sarah Deer

A Call for Consistency by Nadine Naber

"National Security" and the Violation of Women by Sylvanna Falcon

The Color of Violence by Haunani-Kay Trask

Pomo Woman, Ex-prisioner Speak Out by Stor
Bart
Sep 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Most of the essays in Color of Violence are pretty amazing. In "Heteropatriarchy and the Three Pillars ["Slavery/Capitalism, Genocide/Capitalism, Orientalism/War] of White Supremacy" Andrea Smith asserts that right-wingers are justified for claiming that "the colonial world order depends on heteronormativity" (72). Of course, Smith wants this world order dismantled. The anthology is very broad, authors writing on issues from violence of international institutions/capitalism on disabled folks in ...more
Meen
I've read several chapters of this one over the course of various gender-related classes, but I don't think I've read the entire thing, so it's still on the to-read list. (But with five stars for the stuff I have read.)
Millicent
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book should be read if just for Andrea Smith's essay: 'Heteropatriarchy and the Three Pillars of White Supremacy'. She nailed it right there.
Madeleine
incredibly helpful and asks so many questions still so prescient even 15+ yrs post publication. especially instructive for a lot of the questions i've been asking about organizational development, getting organized, working in collective, building movements in resistance to violence on a structural level.
Tinea
Feb 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: dudes, white ladies, everyone. for real.
Recommended to Tinea by: "Globalized Sexualities" class
This book is an intervention in both second wave feminism—-single-issue, white dominated sexual assault support-—and anti-oppression activism that condones or ignores sexualized violence.

The central premise of the The Color of Violence is that anti-sexualized violence work cannot be separated from anti-oppression work. Violence against women includes sexualized violence and all other forms of violence. Violence experienced by women, and especially by women of color, lower-income women, and quee
Lauren
Aug 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who cares about ending violence against women
This anthology is pretty much an indespensable tool for learning more about violence against women and how to organize against it. The authors consistently frame "violence" in the context of racial and gender oppression and move the term beyond interpersonal and domestic abuse to an understanding of violence at the hands of the state. Police brutality, prisons, the military, the border patrol, all are skewered on INCITE's rhetorical lance as insitutions upholding patriarchy and white supremacy. ...more
Michelle
Jan 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in racial, economic and gender justice movements.
I've become an utter fan of INCITE! I think they link together much of the most remarkable grassroots organizing in the country. The theoretical and strategic questions they are grappling with, the individuals on the national committee, and much (though not all) of their local committee work couldn't be more remarkable or needed. The Color of Violence, their first book, is on the one hand a catalog of much of the best revolutionary movements across the country. On the other, their is an emergent ...more
Allee
Apr 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I feel like only a super dense white feminist would intrude on this book with her critiques... As an outsider for whom the book is neither by nor for, I value and appreciate it for the insight it gave me. I had vague ideas that law enforcement is not a friend or a tool for disadvantaged communities, but I never realized the extent to which it could doubly victimize women of color who attempt to turn to it for help. The last chapter was especially helpful since it actually got into what community ...more
Emelda
I don't think I'm in the right headspace for this book right now. I just couldn't get into any of the essays I tried to read. Several of the writings just made me rather read the authors' full books. There were some good quotes I gleaned, but finishing this book would have felt like a chore, so I gave up.
Spicy T AKA Mr. Tea
Splendid. Absolutely-fucking-amazing. This book took me a while to read; that was only because there was sooooo much packed in it and so many good essays. I had to read it in 3-5 essay clumps and then put it down because there was practically an overload of information and analysis. Everyone should read this. Amazing.
Avory
May 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anthologies, feminism
This is an excellent anthology that I would recommend particularly to feminists of color but also to all white feminists, because the essays within not only summarize some problems of importance to women of color, but really give some constructive suggestions for activists who are ignoring the needs of women of color (whether aware or not).
Aisha (Momo)
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really insightful, critical, and rich book that’s full of gems of wisdom. Some of the essays were a little simple, and some of them were put together so thoughtfully that they shifted my entire perspective.
Lauren
May 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Overall a fantastic book dealing with violence, whether it be coming from the state or within ones home, that centers the wisdom, experience and needs of women of color. It is not a perfect book, but it is an invaluable one.
Jill
Mar 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
If you haven't thought of these topics, I think this would be a good starter book. As someone who has thought of many of these topics in depth, I often found some of the analysis a little less than rigorous. Either way it was still thought provoking.
Liz
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
pretty much every essay is excellent. this could be approximately 1/8 as good and still be worth buying; it could be about 1/35 as good and still be worth getting from the library.
Kristin
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
An important anthology about the institutionalization of violence against women of color in the U.S. A book for academics and activists alike.
Kate Watson
sheel's sister!
Amy
May 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
buy this book and keep it on a table near your bed and read it all the time.
Amelie
Jul 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone with privalige
read dis book become an incite! ally
Vileana
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great anthology which is the place to start thinking about gender violence and intersectionality in the U.S. context.
Jason
Apr 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is incredible. I'm especially excited about the article on Heteropatriarchy and the three pillars of white supremacy.
Scott Neigh
Reviewed here.
Steph
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best books that I've ever read. Everyone should read this book.
Dec 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
I read about 1/2 of this book then decided it was time for some fiction. It's very good, so far, and I look forward to the organizing section once I'm up for some NF again.
Alison
Nov 19, 2007
Megan
Dec 25, 2015
dane.
Jan 18, 2008
Leo K
Apr 05, 2017

• The Revolution Starts at Home: Confronting Intimate Violence Within Activist Communities
  • Feminism FOR REAL: Deconstructing the Academic Industrial Complex of Feminism
  • Global Lockdown: Race, Gender, and the Prison-Industrial Complex
  • Conquest: Sexual Violence and American Indian Genocide
  • This Bridge We Call Home: Radical Visions for Transformation
  • Undivided Rights: Women of Color Organizing for Reproductive Justice
  • Third World Women and the Politics of Feminism
  • Colonize This!: Young Women of Color on Today's Feminism
  • Abolition Now!: Ten Years of Strategy and Struggle Against the Prison Industrial Complex
  • Loving in the War Years
  • Medicine Stories: History, Culture and the Politics of Integrity
  • Resistance Behind Bars: The Struggles of Incarcerated Women
  • Exile and Pride: Disability, Queerness, and Liberation
  • Killing the Black Body: Race, Reproduction, and the Meaning of Liberty
  • Methodology of the Oppressed
  • Captive Genders: Trans Embodiment and the Prison Industrial Complex
  • Patriarchy and Accumulation on a World Scale: Women in the International Division of Labour
  • That's Revolting!: Queer Strategies for Resisting Assimilation
Mission Statement

INCITE! Women of Color Against Violence is a national activist organization of radical feminists of color advancing a movement to end violence against women of color and their communities through direct action, critical dialogue and grassroots organizing.

Vision Statement

INCITE! is a national, activist organization of radical feminists of color that is mobilizing to end all forms o