Start by marking “Uncommonly Tidy Poltergeists” as Want to Read:
Uncommonly Tidy Poltergeists

Uncommonly Tidy Poltergeists

A poltergeist haunts Taro, dogging his international travels. It washes glasses, puts dishes away, and even dusts. At least he hopes it's a cleaning-obsessed poltergeist and not his own anxieties burbling over into neat freak fits he doesn't remember. When his property manager suggests he call paranormal expert, Jack Montrose, Taro's skeptical but desperate enough to try e ...more
ebook, First, 180 pages
Published January 11th 2017 by Mischief Corner Books, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Uncommonly Tidy Poltergeists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncommonly Tidy Poltergeists

Start your review of Uncommonly Tidy Poltergeists
Mir
May 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: travel, fantasy
This book had a lot of good elements and I think needed to be longer to develop them more fully. Especially the supernatural parts.

If I were haunted by something that cleaned my apartment in the night and did not in any other way bother me or interfere with my stuff, I don't think I would be as upset as Taro is. In fact, uncommonly tidy supernatural entities are welcome here. Must like cats.

I might have enjoyed this slightly more if not read during lockdown and broke: Dammit, I wanna be rich a
Tamara
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Taro (not the root vegetable!) has won the lottery and suddenly has more money that he knows what to do with. He decides to travel the world and somewhere along the way he notices someone's been cleaning after him during the night. And that someone followed him home and keeps cleaning. Is he sleepwalking and cleaning house? Is he the victim of a very tidy burglar? Or is he haunted by uncommonly tidy poltergeists? Enter Philip call-me-Jack Montrose (because Philip Montrose is just an accountant's ...more
Alison
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Delightful. This was a lovely little story and I really enjoyed it. It's light-hearted and amusing and the romance is sweet and warm. Both main characters are endearing. Taro is ace and I think that aspect of the story is handled well.
Jayne
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
From an ARC
Taro has recently won the lottery, and with his winnings has invested in several properties around the world. As he travels, familiarising himself with his new circumstances, he becomes aware of strange happenings in the night. Every morning, the mess he has made during the day is conveniently tidied away. When these events follow him from property to property, he is driven to enlist a ghost hunter to help him either solve the mystery, or prove that he needs psychiatric help.

When Jac
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up. I would have loved to see more of Taro's family, but I like all the time he spent together with Jack. It was interesting to watch their relationship develop. Taro is also very patient. :) I'd almost like to see another follow-up story to this one, though I did enjoy the little epilogue.

As for the announcement Taro makes at the beginning, (view spoiler)
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the story and the premise was interesting but something about it just didn't click enough for me to rate it higher. I think that problem is that I just don't feel like I'd gotten to know either MC that well, especially Jack. I'd have liked getting his POV as well, otherwise he just doesn't feel fleshed out to me.
Lisa Guertin
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading Jack and Taro's story. This was my first book with an Ace character and I found him fascinating and realistically portrayed. The reveal of the "poltergeist" was fun and well handled. The author included just the right combination of suspense, comedy, drama, and angst.
A.J. Sherwood
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is one of those cute fantasy urban reads where you get to the end and sigh, satisfied with the overall cuteness. I liked the originality of it, too - she's uses mythology that I've literally never seen in any other fantasy book. And the two main characters are well fleshed out, and in many ways, an average Joe - they're utterly relatable.

Also, if you're looking for a good book with an asexual MC, this is your ticket. Angel handles that very well, too.
Hart_D
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very cute and funny romance, with a light paranormal mystery and charming main characters. Michael Pauley's narration of the audiobook added a lot to my enjoyment. I really like how he performs the various accents, and overall, his cheerful style really fits the lighthearted tone of the book.

Taro is lovable and easy to sympathize with. I think a lot of people would act similarly if they won the lottery. His first priority is to make sure everyone in his family has a secure future; then
Ann
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is different to my usual reading material and I found it both funny and heartwarming.
Taro had a massive lottery win - why not me? - and uses some of his winnings to buy assorted property around the world so he could travel and keep his privacy intact. He finds during his travels that he is being haunted by something really tidy. Washing up done, floors cleaned, where can I find them please?
Taro employs Jack a tall, lanky figure to find out who or what is haunting him or whether it is him go
Lada
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
I don't know if it's because I didn't pay the book my full attention when reading it or if it's the story itself, but I found the story bland and the interactions between the MCs clunky and uninspiring. I also didn't really grasp the plot, I mean, why the MC got so anxious over cleaning-obsessed poltergeist? As long as the poltergeist didn't disturb him/do anything harmful or demanded bloody sacrifices, he should've been thankful for and just enjoyed the experience of having invisible, free/chea ...more
DaisyGirl

This book was alright. I liked Jack, the world traveling, and Taro's family. I liked Taro well enough but he came across as a little aloof and I struggled to connect with him. My absolute fave part of the story? The (view spoiler).

Bottom line: just okay.
Love Bytes Reviews
Audiobook review by Christian

Taro comes into a lot of money and decides to country hop for a while. In one of the countries that he’s bought a house he starts seeing things cleaning up all by themselves at night. At first he just thinks that it’s him but little by little he comes to terms with the fact that it may not be him at all.

Jack shows up and he’s tall, clunky and a little bit weird. But he stays there to do the job of trying to figure out what this uncommonly tidy poltergeist really is.

T
Elisa Rolle
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
2017 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention: Angel Martinez Uncommonly Tidy Poltergeists
1) I very much enjoyed how utterly smooth this book was. The characters were established and differentiated from each other very quickly, and with the engaging voice of our narrator Taro, it was a lovely ride through the journey of a young person trying (however belatedly in Taro's mind) to find out who and what he is. More importantly, who and what he is WITHOUT casting himself against the frame of someone else. T
Heather
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4-1/2 Stars
Taro has recently won the largest lottery to date and has kept the information from everyone but his family to avoid the horrors that befall previous lottery winners. After setting up some trusts and charities he decides to purchase homes all over the world to become a journal-keeping traveler. Problems arise when he wakes one morning in one of his new homes to find everything has been mysteriously tidied overnight. Has he begun sleepwalk cleaning or does he have a tidy ghost? The cle
Duncan Husky
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I adored this book! Taro is kind of a mess, but he clearly has a good heart and is working really hard to get past his insecurities. Jack is a mess in his own way, though I didn't think we got a clear picture of his motivations, which is the only reason this isn't rated 5 stars.

I enjoyed these characters and the interactions between them. The story was an engaging, though low-stakes, mystery. The side characters were a hoot, too - Frau Voss, Taro's brothers, and Taro's parents (his father crack
N.W. Moors
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Taro wins the Lottery and lots of money. After settling some on his family, he decides to take the unique step of buying homes in different places around the world and spending time in each one. But after a sojourn in Germany, weird things start happening. He finally hires Jack, a paranormal expert, to investigate the odd events.
This is a pretty quick short story. It was okay. Taro and Jack make a nice couple though unusual. The story didn't really grab me, but there's nothing wrong with it. I t
Jessie Pinkham
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rec-of-the-month
How do I get this problem? I hate cleaning. Any supernatural/fantastical overnight help would be greatly appreciated.

Very enjoyable read. The writing is high quality, the premise fascinating, and the characters intriguing. I was somewhat concerned at the slow start, but no worries, once events pick up, they carry on nicely for the rest of the book.

I enjoyed the discussions of asexuality, what Taro is and isn't willing to do just to make his partner happy. And Jack. Oh, Jack... when he says wha
Wende
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing

I want these little critters to come live with me. I loved this book. Taro and Jack were so sweet and so different from each other. It was a low angst book with two fun characters. The paranormal was funny and I loved how it all worked out. It is hard to review this book without giving away the plot. It just was a fun book to read.
Tam
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, elves-fairies
It was cute but I thought the set-up was a bit convoluted (did he need the whole lottery/travel around the world premise?) It has an ACE character which is new for me, I was fine with that and how it was handled but the relationship part comes much later in the book, it's primarily about the poltergeist issue. So it was okay, but not something I loved.
Linda
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet and fascinating.

Though the main character is asexual...it always worried me--how an author will handle it...I really enjoyed the book. The characters are well developed. The romance is sweet. And the journey the characters take to come together is fun, smart and novel.
Anu
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh what a wonderful, wonderful story. I adore Taro so much. It is so uncommon to find a good, honest description of an ace/demi/graysexual character, someone who is at peace with themselves and knows who and what they are.

I just utterly loved this.
Pamela Su
May 06, 2020 rated it liked it
An enjoyable read. Taro and Jack make an interesting couple and I like the epilogue to let the readers have a glimpse into their future. The supernatural aspect was lovely and rather creepy. Perhaps because of the length, the story suffered a little because there is a feeling of incompleteness.
Kat
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprising

This was a very sweet story with a nice paranormal angle. I enjoyed the portrayal of an asexual person shown honestly and with respect. This was a very enjoyable story.
Lindsay
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely read for Jack and Taro I've not read many stories in this light but I've enjoyed each and every one for the information they bring.
A nice sweet read thank you
Andrea
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Very good book but not one of her best, to me. She spoils me!
Edie
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much love for these characters, the different settings, the intriguing ghost story, and the relationship development. This was a fun read!
Lila Hunter
Review to follow at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words.

ARC provided by Mischief Corner Books in exchange for an honest review.
Sherry
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute and a quick read.
TS
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-paranormal
In one word: amazing. Great plot, great characters, great book.

• Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • The Border (The Knight and the Necromancer #2)
  • The Sea (The Knight and the Necromancer #3)
  • The Capital (The Knight and the Necromancer #1)
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)
  • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
  • Quill Me Now (The ABCs of Spellcraft, #1; Bad Valentine, #2)
  • Single Malt (Agents Irish and Whiskey, #1)
  • Mainly by Moonlight (Bedknobs and Broomsticks, #1)
  • Barrel Proof (Agents Irish and Whiskey, #3)
  • Jon's Crazy Head-Boppin' Mystery (Jon's Mysteries, #2)
  • NoX
  • Give Up the Ghost (Not Dead Yet #2)
  • Tinsel Fish (Tyack & Frayne #2)
  • Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case (Jon's Mysteries, #1)
  • Hidden in Darkness (In Darkness, #1)
Angel Martinez currently lives part time in the hectic sprawl of northern Delaware and full time inside her head. She has one husband, one son, two cats, a love of all things beautiful and a terrible addiction to the consumption of both knowledge and chocolate.

Angel's alter ego writes the all-ages science fiction - Sandra Stixrude.

News & Interviews