Jump to ratings and reviews

Parallel Worlds: A Journey through Creation, Higher Dimensions, and the Future of the Cosmos

In this thrilling journey into the mysteries of our cosmos, bestselling author Michio Kaku takes us on a dizzying ride to explore black holes and time machines, multidimensional space and, most tantalizing of all, the possibility that parallel universes may lay alongside our own. Kaku skillfully guides us through the latest innovations in string theory and its latest iteration, M-theory, which posits that our universe may be just one in an endless multiverse, a singular bubble floating in a sea of infinite bubble universes. If M-theory is proven correct, we may perhaps finally find answer to the question, “What happened before the big bang?” This is an exciting and unforgettable introduction into the new cutting-edge theories of physics and cosmology from one of the pre-eminent voices in the field.

361 pages, Paperback

(Arabic: ميشيو كاكو
Russian: Митио Каку
Chinese: 加來道雄
Japanese: ミチオ・カク)

Dr. Michio Kaku is an American theoretical physicist at the City College of New York , best-selling author, a futurist, and a communicator and popularizer of science. He has written several books about physics and related topics of science.

He has written two New York Times Best Sellers, Physics of the Impossible (2008) and Physics of the Future (2011).

Dr. Michio is the co-founder of string field theory (a branch of string theory), and continues Einstein’s search to unite the four fundamental forces of nature into one unified theory.

Kaku was a Visitor and Member (1973 and 1990) at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, and New York University. He currently holds the Henry Semat Chair and Professorship in theoretical physics at the City College of New York.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 753 reviews
Profile Image for EPI.
118 reviews
April 29, 2008
I hated Physics when I was a kid, because the teacher who taught me wore coke-bottle glasses, had halitosis, and his spittle flew. He also churned out equations on the board, and expected you to get E=mc2 as if you were born to do so. How can one not understand the elegance and simplicity and total enlightenment that this captured about our physical world? Well, I didn't. Because the physical world -- believe it or not -- was abstract enough not to grasp at the 10,000 foot level.

Ok, then comes Parallel Worlds, by Michio Kaku. I don't know what made me pick up this book. A lot of reading impulse probably had something to do with stray comments or observations one picks up from somewhere. I had read that this book was unputdownable. What! A science nonfiction book unputdownable. Was I born yesterday?

Well, it could be said I was 'born-again' after reading this. From Newton's theory of gravity to Einstein's theory of relativity, to the mystery of the origin of the universe (the "big bang"), to quantum theory, multiverses/parallel universes, time travel, wormholes, black holes, string theory -- Kaku slices through the heart of these scientific discoveries with a paring knife so sharp that even the most science-averse of us can grasp the mystery and the wonder of the universe.

For someone like me, who grew up without religion, found God in a Catholic church, wanting desperately to understand how "we" came about, this book was eye-opening, humbling. It does not preach to the religionists -- it's hard not to face this cosmic question as one plows through the scientific evidence -- is there or is there not a Higher Intelligence that created all of this (especially the series of Goldilocks perfect coincidences that made life on Earth possible), but in the end, I wonder if I don't come away thinking all the scientific evidence in the world, and the brilliant theorizing about our physical universe has not proven a damn thing about the existence of God. I would go so far as to say it has not disproved the existence of God.

Read and think through for yourself -- if anything, one realizes that so many of the political, religious, environmental backfighting in pockets of the world may be so much sand in the hourglass -- not that a comet or asteroid could hit us tomorrow and end all life as we know it, but that Earth could rotate a little differently on its axis, a black hole could be sliding perilously close to us but we can't see us and we'd be sucked into its Event Horizon within a billionth of a second and evaporated. All these things can happen. And there is still so much more we do not know about our universe! Any of those things we don't yet know could kill us. Life is super-symmetrical, held in fine equilibrium, but oh, so tenuously.

The coolest thing I realized -- I had no idea that it was nuclear energy, one of the four forces that obtain in our universe-- that prevents our bodies (its atoms) from flying apart. Here I thought it was something only used to build bombs!

Profile Image for Negar.
294 reviews39 followers
February 11, 2015
اینو یه بار پارسال خونده بودم، ولی خوندنم این بار خیلی متفاوت بود. کتابم کامل رنگی رنگی شده و هر تیکه ش یه سوال و اظهار نظر خردمندانه ای (!) از شخص بنده پیدا می شه. بیچاره جلدش نابود شد و چند بیست سی صفحه یه بار یه صفحه رو تا کردم تا علامت گذاشته باشم مثلا :-"
+ من کلاً بدم میاد از چیزای زیادی رنگ و وارنگ، ولی از اونجایی که دیگه نمی شد این کتابو یه بار از اول خوند، نشونه گیری نیاز داشتم =)) تقریباً تمام کتابای فیزیک من همین شکلی ان 3> بله :))

کتاب یه کم قدیمیه، و از اونجایی که ما داریم در مورد کیهان شناسی حرف می زنیم، قدیمی بودن تقریبا به معنای منسوخ بودنه. کتاب وقتی نوشته شده که حتی بوزون هیگز هم کشف نشده بود - من از ذوق اونجای کتابو خط کشیدم و اصلاح کردم =)) - و ای اس اس کشف های اصلاحی ش رو نفرستاده بود. برای همین این حس قدیمی بودن کاملاً مشخص بود توی کتاب. ولی ما چیزی از نوشته های کتاب رو رد نکردیم هنوز. ال اچ سی هنوز مدرکی برای نظریه ی ام کشف نکرده و کسی هم نتونسته جهان های موازی رو کشف کنه. شاید یه سری کشفیات جدید داریم، ولی بیشترشون بیشتر از چند ماه دووم نمیارن.

کاکو یه کم جهت گیری داره توی کتاباش. خودش همیشه اینو می گه، و من زیاد دوست ندارمش زیاد. شاید حتی اشکال هم محسوب نشه، ولی من ترجیح می دم نویسنده یه دید بی طرف داشته باشه. البته خب اینم داشت، ولی تاکیدش اینقدر روی نظریه ی ریسمان زیاد بود که نمی شد نادیده ش گرفت.

زیاد از قسمت آخرش خوشم نیومد. شاید این بحث ها باید یه قسمتی از کتاب می بود، ولی من بیشتر دوست دارم در مورد این که ما الان داریم چی کار می کنیم بحث بشه تا اینکه آیندگانی که مهارت دارن چی کار باید بکنند. حس علمی تخیلی به آدم می داد و همونقدر هم می شد بهشون به دید شوخی نگاه کرد. کسی که مهارت و تجهیزات کافی رو پیدا کنه، شاید راه های دیگه ای هم پیدا کنه، ما از کجا می دونیم؟

ولی جدا از این اشکالات، کتاب عالی بود. کاکو وقتی می خواست موضوعی رو شروع کنه، اول داستانی علمی تخیلی مرتبطی رو مطرح می کرد و بعد به این می پرداخت که چرا ممکنه غلط باشه و چرا درست. نمونه ها خیلی دقیق و مناسب بودن و لحن صمیمی کاکو در این قسمت ها به دل می نشست. .

کاکو مدرس خیلی خوبیه. چیزی نیست که در طول کتاب کسی بتونه ادعا کنه نفهمیده. توضیحات، مثال ها و نمونه هایی که می آورد کاملاً مطلب و تفهیم می کردن.

یه چیز خیلی تکان دهنده، بحث های اخلاقی فصل آخر بود. دقیقاً نمی دونم چطور باید توضیحشون بدم... اصلا فکر بهشون هم خیلی آزاردهنده بود....

در کل اینکه توصیه می کنم بخونین. :)
Profile Image for Peiman E iran.
1,394 reviews671 followers
January 1, 2017
دوستانِ گرانقدر و خردگرا، به هیچ وجه، فریبِ عنوان این دسته از کتاب ها را نخورید.. این کتاب ها با درهم کردنِ موهومات و توهماتِ دینی و مذهبی، در مسائلِ مربوط به علم و دانش، سعی در بازی با افکارِ انسان های ساده لوح و زودباور را دارند و به قول خودشان سعی دارند تا با علم فیزیک و ریاضیات، وجودِ موهوماتی همچون فرشته و خدا را اثبات کنند ... و به این نتیجه برسند که انسان نقشِ مهمی در ایجاد این جهان ایفا کرده و میکند و مهمترین مخلوق انسان است و با بیان چرت و پرت هایی بی سر و ته، وجود خالق را ثابت کنند
عزیزانم، این کتاب از 3 بخش کلی و 12 فصل تشکیل شده است و مهمترین موضوعاتی که بدان پرداخته شده است، از این قرار است: جهان مرموز - انفجار بزرگ- جهان هایِ موازی- سفر در زمان- جهان هایِ کوانتومی- انعکاس های بعد یازدهم- پایانِ جهان- جهان چندگانه
نویسنده، این موضوعاتِ علمی را به نوعی با مسائلِ پوچ و مذهبی به گند کشیده است و اگر مطلبی علمی بیان نموده، آنهم کپی برداری از سخنان و پژوهش های اندیشمندان بزرگ بوده است
در زیر برای نمونه، بخشی از مطالب بیان شده در کتاب را برایتان مینویسم.. ببینید چه بیخردانه و با بیان چه موهوماتی سعی در اثبات «خدا» را دارد... متأسفانه در سرزمین ما عده ای بیخرد و موهوم پرست ممکن است برای اثبات اعتقاداتِ پوچ و خرعبلاتی که به آن باور دارند، چنین کتاب ها و نویسندگانی را بزرگ کرده و به تبلیغ این دسته از کتبِ بی سر و ته و مسخره بپردازند... این جرثومه های عرب پرست، اگر رشدِ علمی و دانش ایرانی برایشان مهم بود، کتابهای اندیشمندانی همچون «ریچارد داوکینز» و «لاورنس کراوس» و «کریستوفر هیچنز» و «دیوید میلز» و «استیون هاوکینگ» و بسیاری از بزرگان دیگر را ترجمه و چاپ میکردند
دوستان خردگرایِ من... هرگاه دیدید که کتابی در کتابفروشی ها به وفور دیده میشود و در تیراژ بالا چاپ شده، بدانید دست های کثیفی در پشت پرده است تا جوانهای بیچاره را با نام علم و دانش، به بدبختی و فلاکت برساند.. وگرنه چرا این همه آثار ارزشمند، هیچیک جواز ترجمه و چاپ را نمیگیرد!؟... جواب این سؤال بسیار ساده است.. کافی است قدری بیاندیشید
*************************************
نویسنده با بی شرمی تمام موض��ع «کوانتوم» را اینگونه به کثافتِ دین و مذهب و خرافات آلوده میکند و مینویسد: دنیای کوانتوم از منظری کاملاً متفاوت به مسئلۀ نقش ما در جهان پرداخته است.. زنجیرۀ بی انتهایِ ناظران، که هر کدام ناظر قبلی را مشاهده میکنند، در نهایت ما را به سمت وجود یک مشاهده گر کیهانی سوق میدهد، در این تصویر جهان وجود دارد، زیرا "خدایی مشاهده گر" آن است... وقتی کسی نباشد تا درخت را مشاهده کند، آیا درخت در حیاط وجود دارد؟؟ به بیانِ دیگر درخت در حیاط همواره وجود دارد، زیرا یک "ناظر کوانتومی" آنجاست تا تابع موج را بر هم بریزد.. یعنی همان خدا
ببینید این ابله و بیخرد، چگونه با جملات بازی کرده و با بیان چه چرت و پرت هایی سعی در اثباتِ وجودِ «خدا» را دارد... موجودی که به هیچ عنوان وجودش را نمیتوان ثابت کرد را یک "ناظر کوانتومی" فرض نموده است... چقدر این جمله احمقانه است که: همه چیز وجود دارد، چراکه مشاهده گری وجود دارد... اصلاً شما صحبتی علمی و خردمندانه در این جملات مشاهده کردید؟؟
بازهم به خزعبلات پوچِ خود ادامه داده و میگوید: جهان مقصودی دارد: ایجادِ موجوداتِ با ادراکی مثلِ انسان، که میتوانند آن را مشاهده کنند تا بتواند وجود داشته باشد.. بر طبق این دیدگاه، وجودِ جهان تماماً به قابلیت آن در ایجاد موجوداتِ هوشمندی وابسته است که میتوانند آن را مشاهده کنند و بنابراین موجب فروپاشی تابع موج آن شوند
**************************************
خودتان قضاوت کنید... ببینید اینها تا کجا پیش رفته اند تا دین را که به وسیلۀ خرد و پیشرفت روز افزونِ دانش، نابود شده است را احیاء و زنده کنند... عزیزانم، بارها و بارها گفته ام که این جهان به هیچ عنوان هدف و مقصود ندارد... اگر هدفِ ثابت داشت، آنوقت میتوانستیم آنرا دستگاهی منظم بنامیم که صاحب ناظم نیز میباشد... دستگاهی همچون ساعت و ماشین حساب و حتی چشم، دستگاه های منظم هستند.. چراکه هدف مشخصی دارند... حال، شما با خردِ خود قضاوت کنید، آیا این جهان هدف دارد؟؟ هدف آن چیست؟؟ هیچگاه اسیرِ این مغلطه های کثیف نشوید... نویسنده به قول خودش در سه خط ثابت کرده که خدا وجود دارد... چون میداند که مخاطبانش عده ای ابله هستند که به موهومات و خزعبلاتِ بچگانه اعتقاد و ایمان دارند... کسانی که منتظر موجودِ موهوم و خیالی به نام "مهدی" هستند تا جمعه بیاید و آنقدر انسان بکشد تا خون به زانوانِ اسبش برسد... و کسانی که معتقد هستند که خدا در رحمِ "مریم" فوت کرد و دمید و "عیسی مسیح" زاییده شد و سپس به آسمان عروج کرد و در یک جمعه با "مهدی موهوم" بازمیگردد... و "موسی" دریا را با عصا شکافت و هزاران موضوع و باورِ احمقانۀ دیگر... خوب وقتی چنین معتقدان و موجوداتِ ابله و بیخردی وجود دارند، مشخص است که چنین نویسنده هایی به راحتی با شعورِ این بیشعورها میتوانند بازی کنند و اینگونه موضوعاتِ علمی و اندیشمندانه را به بازی بگیرند
--------------------------------------------------------------
امیدوارم این ریویو برای فرزندانِ خردگرایِ ایران زمین، مفید بوده باشه
«پیروز باشید و ایرانی»
Profile Image for Gendou.
574 reviews255 followers
April 14, 2016
Kaku starts off by comparing the big bang to the creation in Christian and Chinese mythology. Yuck. He also finishes off the book with a tedious digression into religious inanities.

The syrupy and hyperbole-riddled language is guaranteed to cause misunderstanding in anyone unfamiliar with cosmology, and irritation in anyone already familiar with cosmology. But hey, it's a popular science book, you sort of expect that.

Kaku attributes the "discovery" of dark matter and dark energy to the WMAP data.
A halo of dark matter was first considered to account for the stability of spiral galaxies.
Without this large halo holding the spiral arms together by it's gravity, spiral galaxies would not be stable.
Later work on cosmic inflation supports this hypothesis, but didn't start it.
Dark energy was first hypothesized to account for the acceleration of the expansion of the universe as measured by Hubble redshift of distant quasars.
Again, this was confirmed by WMAP but was detected long before.
In a later chapter, he goes on to the history of these ideas in more detail, contradicting his earlier mistake.

There are many more examples of contradictions in this writing.
For example, Kaku writes that the weak nuclear force is "too weak to hold the nucleus together, sometimes allowing it to decay".
This can be horribly misleading to someone who doesn't already know that the strong nuclear force holds the nucleus together, whereas the weak nuclear force can cause disturbances which shatter the nucleus. Later in the same paragraph this is explained, but it is contradictory and confusing. Reader be warned.

Kaku repeatedly refers to the event horizon around a black hole a "magic sphere". Yuck.

Kaku claims string theory is the ONLY contestant for unifying gravity.
This outright lie flies in the face of many researches, like Lee Smolin, who are looking at other ways to unify gravity. Unbelievable how smug Kaku can be.

The chapter on time travel was a joke. Classic Kaku packaging wild speculation and supernatural fantasy as "science".

The chapter on the anthropic principle was polluted with god this and god that, which I found enraging.

Even in his area of expertise, science fiction, Kaku makes a gaff, mistaking the human-made robots in The Matrix for "aliens".

Kaku constantly refers to the cosmological constant as "anti-gravity", which is a joke to any physicist, who knows that gravity is an inverse square law, while the cosmological constant is, well, a CONSTANT negative pressure. Just another example of Kaku's obsession with using irritating and inaccurate words.
Profile Image for Mahdi Lotfi.
446 reviews106 followers
July 29, 2017
جهان‌های موازی یکی از بهترین کتاب‌های علمی است که در سال 2005 توسط «میچیو کاکو» (Michio Kaku) نوشته شد. طبق گفته‌ی کاکو جهان‌های موازی ممکن که در فیزیک نظری مطرح هستند در ۳ دسته با مفاهیم کاملاً مجزا قرار می‌گیرند که برای هیچ‌یک هنوز شواهد تجربی به دست نیامده است. این جهان‌ها شامل جهان‌های موازی تورمی، جهان‌های موازی کوانتومی و جهان‌های موازی فرا فضا می‌شوند. کتاب به سه بخش کلی تقسیم‌بندی شده است. بخش اول: جهان، بخش دوم: جهان چندگانه و بخش سوم: فرار به فضا نام دارد. نویسنده در این کتاب استعداد شگرف خود را به خدمت گرفته تا به یکی از عجیب‌ترین و هیجان‌انگیزترین دستاوردهای احتمالی فیزیک مدرن بپردازد. این‌که ممکن است جهان ما تنها جهانی در بین جهان‌های متعدد باشد؛ شاید بی‌نهایت جهان در شبکه‌ی گسترده‌ی کیهانی وجود داشته باشند که کل جهان ما فقط یکی از آن‌ها است. کاکو با استفاده‌ی استادانه از شوخ‌طبعی و تمثیل، صبورانه خواننده را با نظریات متفاوت موجود در جهان‌های موازی آشنا می‌سازد؛ نظریاتی که همگی از مکانیک کوانتومی، کیهان‌شناسی و تئوری جدید (M) نشاءت می‌گیرند. این کتاب را چون سفری شگفت‌انگیز مطالعه کنید. سفر در کیهانی که نیروهای واقعی آن، ما را مجبور می‌سازند تا به سمت مرزهای تخیل کشیده شویم. کاکو نشان می‌دهد که ظاهر آشنای جهان فیزیکی، سرزمین عجایبی پر از شگفتی‌ها را پنهان می‌سازد؛ ماده و انرژی تاریک، ابعاد مخفی فضا و حلقه‌های کوچک ریسمان‌های لرزان که کیهان را می‌سازند. به گفته‌ی کاکو، واقعیت جهان همان‌قدر حیرت‌انگیز است که خارق‌العاده‌ترین داستان علمی تخیلی. بی‌شک خرید کتاب جهان‌های موازی و خواندن آن برای طرفداران کتاب‌های علمی و فیزیک کوانتوم رضایت‌بخش خواهد بود.
Profile Image for Теодор Панов.
Author 4 books126 followers
June 26, 2022
Често съм попадал на Мичио Каку в научнопопулярните филми за космоса на National Geographic и Discovery и всеки път той е успявал да прикове вниманието ми с позицията и мнението си по редица въпроси, касаещи физиката. Смятам го за много интересен човек.

Част от нещата в книгата вече ми бяха известни, но тук са разгледани в по-голяма дълбочина и пак ми бяха прелюбопитни, докато ги четях. Книгата е един доста пространствен и многообразен труд. Проследява в детайли развитието на физиката и пътя и ключовите открития на редица учени – Нютон, Айнщайн и много, много други, до достигането на днешното ѝ ниво, което едва ли може да се нарече окончателно. Темите в книгата наистина са всеобхватни – от гравитацията, установяването на произхода на самата вселена, вероятността за съществуването на мултивселена, струнната теория; М-теорията; та чак до прогнозния край на вселената ни и възможностите за съществуване отвъд нея и още и още.

description

В книгата си Мичио Каку често си служи с примери от литературата, киното и изобразителното изкуство, които по един или друг начин провокират въпроси у учените и понякога дори ги и насочват към дадена посока. (От тук си набелязах и няколко научнофантастични романа, за които авторът говори и които смятам да погледна.)

Книгата е написана на доста разбираем език и темите от нея се възприемат с лекота, не е някакво сухо хвърляне на факти и чисто научна затормозяваща информация. Нещата са поднесени наистина увлекателно, така че да бъде интересно на всички, които решат да я прочетат. И в заключение резултатът е отличен.
Profile Image for Stuart.
700 reviews259 followers
February 27, 2020
My first foray into Michio Kaku's world
Having just listened to Brian Green's The Elegant Universe and his case for String Theory and M-Theory, the bold theoretical attempts to integrate Einstein's general/special relativity with quantum physics while also incorporating gravity, my occasional urge to understand the macro and micro principles of the universe, from quarks to blackholes, multiple dimensions, boson particles, Plank distances, and everything in between, his name has hit the radar many times as a physicist and futurist who writes popular science books for the general but scientifically-curious reader.

He covers much of the same territory as The Elegant Universe, but with far less technical depth than that book, but with a more approachable style as he drops loads of science-fiction cultural references and he does excel at making the difficult subject matter a bit less intimidating. His enthusiasm for the various topics he covers is also infectious, so if the title sounds like something you'd like to read about without needing a theoretical physics PhD, by all means give it a try. It does stray pretty far into highly speculative territory such as sentient beings fleeing the heat death of our universe billions of years in the future, but if you're an avid hard SF reader this won't feel so far-fetched. Rather it's exciting to hear a respected physicist take such outlandish ideas seriously.
Profile Image for Max.
337 reviews287 followers
June 7, 2017
Kaku takes us through physics history from Newton’s laws to M-Theory, his favorite flavor of string theory. Along the way we find Maxwell’s electromagnetism, Plank’s Constant, Einstein’s relativity, Hubble’s red shift, Schrodinger’s cat, Gamow’s big bang, Guth’s inflation and end up exploring exotic concepts such as wormholes and parallel universes. This brief history was well written and enjoyable.

The rest of the book is engaging but has some shortcomings. As is typical in popular physics books, non-mathematical explanations of mathematical constructs such as string theory leave us only guessing at their validity. Kaku’s concern with the death of our universe in trillions of years was a little beyond my current event horizon of worry and his proposed escapes seemed more like science fiction than science. His musings on the Anthropic Principle and its implications for man’s place in the universe offered little new. Still, Parallel Worlds imparts a large amount of information simply and left me with a fresh sense of wonder.
Profile Image for Ali Di.
92 reviews9 followers
September 9, 2017
!آش شله قلمکار
البته از این کتاب بیش از این توقعی نیست، با زبان شیرین و ترفندهای جناب کاکو که در پی ربط یک چیزی به چیزی دیگر که کاملا بی ربط هستن، حرفی نمی مونه
در قسمتهای مربوط نظریه ریسمان هم حرفهایی زده میشه که موجب شگفتی است
کلا ایشون اینقدر آسمون و ریسمان بهم میبافه تا به نتیجه ای که دلخواهش هست برسه؛ در نتیجه این کتاب رو اصلا نمیشه کتاب علمی حساب کرد
این سالها، کوآنتوم هم شده بازیچه ی خیلی از نویسنده ها، فیلمسازها و غیره
...برخی از جاها هم استاد گویا سر کلاس اخلاق تشریف دارن

Profile Image for Grumpus.
498 reviews240 followers
August 10, 2016
If you are into time travel or a time travel author, this should be required reading (or in this case listening). Because there was so much great information presented in an understandable manner, this might become the only book that I will read after listening to it as I want to ensure I have this one as a reference.

The first third of the book was a good refresher and had me thinking, “I know this stuff”. . in fact, I felt a little cocky and questioned why I chose this book. Then came the heavy stuff. Don’t misunderstand. By heavy, I don’t mean not understandable. By heavy, I mean, wow! awe-inspiring, make you think, and realize your insignificance. Insignificance not only in this world, solar system, galaxy, or universe but instead total insignificance in existing. The possibilities for multiple or parallel universes will leave your head spinning. However, as a time travel aficionado, this is a good thing making for some great reading by clever authors.

It’s amazing to think that our existence is based upon the “Goldilocks” theory for everything. That Earth is exactly the correct distance from the sun, that the sun is the correct size, in the correct spot in the galaxy, that the correct combination of chemicals came together to form us, that the moon is the correct distance from Earth, and on and on.

The mysteries of existence are not found only in a smaller scale as we continue to look for the building blocks of our life but building up as well. Like many others, I have always felt that we were part of something bigger. Nobody can really state what that is other than some form of a collective. My personal theory is (and I’ve never heard it anywhere before) is that our universe could simply be a cell in part of a larger being. Along with other universes that are hypothesized in this book, my theory is that we are physically part of God. So, if our universe is but one of God’s cells, think how many cells comprise a human and then realize how insignificant we are as part of his body.
Profile Image for Judyta Szacillo.
172 reviews24 followers
January 22, 2019
January 2019

Having re-read this book after 5 years, my opinion of it has not changed a bit. I still see it as a piece of great writing, skillfully popularising mind-blowing concepts and ideas. However, it is becoming more dated every year as the science progresses. So, for my next reading on the subject, I've ordered The Universe in Your Hand: A Journey Through Space, Time, and Beyond by Christophe Galfard - it also has good reviews on Goodreads, and so I hope I will not be disappointed.

June 2013:

Help, help! I'm surrounded by microscopic wormholes and baby universes!

July 2013:

I have just finished the best pop-science book I have ever read (including Balcombe's "Pleasurable Kingdom" which I found very well-written, perfectly constructed and also very touching; a no. 1 until now).

The subject of the book is mind-blowing and it is extremely difficult to stay focused on the reading for a length of time, because it inspires and stretches imagination to the limits. I just couldn't stop picturing things in my head! Certainly, this effect is brought mainly by the information which one could derive from any other book on the subject of the string theory, but Kaku has a great gift of clear, understandable and entertaining writing.

And he simply seems to be a great guy, a person delighted in the mysterious beauty of the world(s) who puts a genuine effort in facilitating the knowledge of it to as wide an audience as possible. I did have to consult Wikipedia occasionally, but generally the book is very self-contained: the writing is easy on the reader, and the apparatus helps in managing information.

The book has one disadvantage: it is full of spoilers! Kaku refers to many sci-fi novels that seem like a lot of fun, so if you don't know them, you might risk a spoilt pleasure.

I have the deepest respect for the Author for the last pages of the book, which send an optimistic message: we are here to learn, discover and make changes for the better. We are, right here and now, in that crucial stage which requires us to be careful and wise so we can perceive and participate in the universe with more awareness and impact than ever before. If we take the right social and moral standing today, we might be able to understand and enter the worlds previously unseen, become the observers who can truly understand and manage life, matter and intelligence. Is it overly optimistic? Perhaps, but it gives us a great purpose to follow, and it's nicer to keep going with such in mind instead of living with the vision of desolation and doom.
Profile Image for Dan.
1,057 reviews52 followers
May 7, 2022
I loved this book. Some very advanced astrophysical concepts all described without equations. The author goes out of his way to talk about the great scientists not named Einstein who contributed mightily to quantum mechanics as well and successfully challenged Einstein.

This is perhaps the best book I've read on describing wormholes, manifolds, membranes and parallel universes. There is one section where the author describes how scientists could create a baby universe in our not so distant future. Fascinating stuff.

The only section that I disagreed strongly with is the author's star trek like and democratic view of our future. He has a very rosy view of the distant future for humanity and expects that we will eventually populate most of our galaxy - within a few hundred light years distance. I am much more of a Debbie downer.

5 stars. Highly recommended for physics fans.
Profile Image for Veronika Sebechlebská.
381 reviews126 followers
October 22, 2018
Kniha o tom, že možno niekde tam, za M-bránou zo strún a zmačkaných kvarkov žijú miliardy iných Veroník. A ja len dúfam, že aspoň jedna z nás má v sobotu večer lepší program ako písanie tejto recenzie

Nesúrodé a s ničím nesúvisiace poznámky

Koniec sveta, ako ho poznáme
Prostor mezi galaxiemi sa bude zvětšovat nadsvětelnou rychlostí, a z vesmíru se tak stane děsivě prázdné místo.
Ale zas koľko miesta bude v rannej 212-ke

Podivné dôsledky kvantovej fyziky
Představte si, že chcete přejít místnost. Podle Newtona prostě zvolíte nejkratší trasu mezi bodem A a bodem B. Ale podle Feynmana je nutné uvážit všechny možné dráhy spojující bod A a bod B. To znamená, musíte vzít v úvahu i cesty vedoucí přes Mars, Jupiter, přes nejbližší hvězdu, a dokonce i dráhy vedoucí zpátky v čase.
Tak a už mi je jasné, prečo sa dokážem stratiť aj na návšteve v trojizbáku. Ja proste pri tej Proxime Centauri vždy nejak zle odbočím.

...takže kdykoliv přecházíte místnost, vaše tělo přitom “pročmuchává” všechny možné dráhy včetně těch, které sahají až ke vzdáleným kvazarům, či k velkému tresku a neomylne si vyberie tú, kde leží zabudnutá kocka lega

Všetko čo ste chceli vedieť o cestovaní v čase, ale báli ste sa spýtať
Všetci vieme, že cestovateľ v čase naráža na kdejaké logické paradoxy, môže spôsobiť zánik civilizácie, prípadne, ak si nedá pozor, môže zavraždiť svojich rodičov ešte predtým, ako sa im stihne narodiť a tak ďalej a tak podobne. Ale sú tu aj ošemetnejšie záležitosti. Napríklad sa môžete stát svým vlastným otcem (že sa toho Freud nedožil!) A pár filozofov sa dokonca pohrávalo s myšlienkou, že ak by ste popri tom cestovaní v čase podstúpili i zmenu pohlavia, mohli by ste sa stať nielen svojím otcom ale současne svou matkou, otcem, dcerou, i synem - tedy celou rodinou*
No, predpokladám, že sociálka by vám vás odobrala, ale minimálne by odpadol problém čo kúpiť mame na narodeniny.
(Ináč jedno mi nie je jasné, bola by som v tom prípade aj svojím vlastným bratom?)

Čomu sa vyvarovať pri cestovaní červími dierami
Stephen Hawking sa svojho času nechal počuť, že pokud červí díry existují, byly by ideální pro rychlé lety vesmírem. Mohli by ste projít dírou na opačnou stranu galaxie a vrátit se včas zpátky na večeři
To je síce pekné, ale ak to u nás bude prevádzkovať ŽSSR, mohlo by sa stať, že sa na tú večeru vrátite rovno ako hlavný chod. A o pol hodinu neskôr ešte raz ako dezert #VerySlovakProblems

Temná hmota
Na odvážní jedince, kteří dokážou odhalit tajemství temné hmoty a temné energie, určite čeká police plná Nobelových cen. No upratovačky na intráku, ktoré po semestri čistia chladničky v spoločnej kuchynke vedia o pôvode temnej hmoty určite svoje.

-----
*Na túto tému vám môžem odporučiť jeden výborný film (na základe poviedky známeho scifi autora). Nepoviem vám, ako sa volá, lebo by to bol donebavolajúci spoiler, ale keď ho uvidíte, spomeňte si, že som vám ho odporúčala :)
Profile Image for Raed.
222 reviews51 followers
October 5, 2022
4.5❤
the last 30 pages are truly amazing
RTC
Profile Image for إيمان .
260 reviews172 followers
September 29, 2015

كتاب في ثلاث أجزاء يحو�� في صفحاته مادة علمية دسمة للفيزيائي الشهير "ميشيو
كاكو وكما هو واضح من العنوان فان الموضوع المطروح ذو طبيعة كوزمولوجية و
الحديث هنا عن العوالم أو الأكوان الموازية وفي ما يلي لمحة عن محتوى كل جزء

الجزء الأول:الكون. يتحدث الكاتب في فصله الأول_ الذي يشكل مقدمة للكتاب_ بصفة مقتضبة عن صورة الكون في بداياته من خلال نظرية التضخم الكوني.و يقدم للقارىء مصطلحات الأكوان الموازية نظرية _ام و البعد الحادي عشر.
أما الفصل الثاني فيتناول عدة مفارقات من قبيل مفارقة بينتلاي حول تناهي الكون
مفارقة أورلبير حول وجود مناطق داكنة في السماء الليلية ومفارقات النظرية النسبية
الفصل الثالث يتناول نظرية الانفجار الكبير و الدلائل على صحتهاو من بينهاإشعاع الخلفية الكونية الميكروي و يطرح من جملة مواضيع أخرى اشكالية المادة الداكنة
و في الفصل الأخير يعرف القارىء على ماهية التضخم الكوني و مختلف أطواره وعلاقته بنظرية الأكوان الموازية
كما يسلط الضوء على الجهود المتواصلة لتوحيد القوى الفيزيائية الأربعة شارحا نظرية النموذج العياري أو القياسي و توحيدها للقوى النووية الضعيفة و القوية والقوى المغناطسية خاتما هذا الجزء بأطوار نشأة الكون

الجزء الثاني:تعدد الأكوان. يهتم في فصله الأول بالسفر عبر الزمن و امكانية العبور الى ابعاد أخرى من خلال تناول موضوع الثقوب السوداء الثقوب الدودية و الطرق المقترحة من قبل غوت ,فان ستوك وثورن لبناء الة سفر عبر الزمن واستحالة ذلك على أرض الواقع(على الاقل حاليا)خاصة مع ندرة الطاقة السلبية الضرورية لذلك.لينهي هذا الفصل بطرح المفارقات المرتبطة بهذا النوع من السفر
الفصل الثاني يتناول الرجة التي أحدثها ظهور النظرية الكمية وقضائها على مفهوم الحتمية و علاقتها بنظرية الاكوان الموازية
الفصل الثالث وهو الاهم يتحدث فيه الكاتب عن نظرية الأوتار الفائقة عوامل نشأتها و أشكالها الخمس المختلفة ثم ظهور نظرية ام التي يعتبرها الكثير نظرية كل شيء و اضافتها للبعد الحادي عشر المرتبط بالثقالة الفائقة ليتبين ان مختلف نظريات الاوتار الفائقة منبثقة من هذه النظرية.
الفصل الرابع اعتبره بداية الخروج عن الموضوع حيث يطرح السؤال عن وجود خالق للكون و يقدم أراء عدة علماء و يسهب في شرحه وجهة نظر واحدة على حساب أخرى
قائلة بوجود اله
الفصل الخامس يشهد عودة لمسألة البعد الحادي عشر و مختلف الافكار الاثبات ذلك

الجزء الثالث و الأخير:الهروب الى الفضاء الفائق. هذا الجزء يغلب عليه الخيال العلمي حيث يقوم كاكو بذكر أطوار نهاية الكون التي تنتهي بالتجمد الكبير لنضوب الطاقة في النجوم خلال مليارات السنين ويتساءل عن امكانية نجاة الذكاء
متمثلا في العرق البشري ليقترح مغادرة هذا الكون كحل أخير للنجاة
الفصل الثاني يذكر مختلف تصنيفات الحضارات و درجة تطورها حسب حجم الطاقة القصوى التي يمكن انتاجها و الخطوات المتبعة لانقاذ البشرية
و أخيرا و ليس اخرا يعود الكاتب لطرح مسألة "المعنى"وراء كل تلك النظريات ويؤكد أن نظرية ام حتى في حال اكتمالها لن تكون قادرة على الاجابة عن معنى الوجود و يرى بأن هذا السؤال ذو معنى فلسفي أساسا و ليس موضوعا فيزيائيا
كما يرى أنه من الافضل تجنب هذا السؤال و الانشغال بما هو أهم حسب اعتقاده.

خلاصة القول أن هذا الكتاب ممتع و مفيد في مختلف جوانبه حتى تلك التي لا أتفق معها .من أكثر النقاط التي اثارت اهتمامي سعة ثقافة ميشيو كاكو الأدبية اذ لا يخلو فصل من ذكر عناوين لروايات خيال علمي او حتى روايات أخرى من قبيل الأخوات الثلاث لتشيخوف.أيضا سلاسة اللغة وبساطة الأسلوب التي ستوفر للراغب في
الاطلاع على هذا العمل الكثير من الجهد خاصة في ظل غياب ترجمة عربية
Profile Image for Irena Pasvinter.
278 reviews46 followers
March 12, 2013
An excellent read especially if you are interested in cosmology and modern physics. Very well written, the language is precise and not overwhelmed with technicalities and pseudo-clever demagogy, but at the same time advanced scientific topics and the latest scientific developments are presented by an insider in an interesting, concise and thought provoking way. Lots of food for thought and fascinating topics here from creation of the universe and the place of intelligent life in it to the distant fate of humankind and the meaning of life itself. To read and reread. And I'm definitely going to read other books by Michio Kaku.
Profile Image for Farha Crystal.
45 reviews58 followers
May 27, 2017
It was going well when Dr.Kaku had been introducing physics concepts with his plain language.
But, time to time he had started the futurology thing with references to science fiction, that makes it hard to take this book seriously with so much speculation.

The book may inspire people to get into Physics, but for those who are already there, those who are filled with wonder at mathematical models of the universe and not fictional stories, this book may fail to broadcast.

Anyway, the fact that parallel universes aren’t a theory, but predictions of certain theories, means that there are three logically possible lines of attack on parallel universes, corresponding to three types of claims:

1) One or more of these “X implies Y” arguments are incorrect (inflation doesn’t predict *Level I, say).
2) One or more of the theories X predicting multiverses are incorrect (inflation, say).
3) Parallel universe is indeed predicted by scientific theories, but scientists shouldn’t waste their time thinking about such topics.

Now, Attacking all these weaknesses on parallel universes involves doing interesting experimental and theoretical physics research. If any of the attacks succeed, the corresponding multiverse evidence is discredited. Conversely, if all the attacks fail, then we’ll be forced to take parallel universes more seriously whether we like them or not - such are the rules of science. In this way, parallel universes are no different from any other scientific idea. (1)

*Level I multiverse: a single space so large that it contains many universe-sized regions.

Finally, who are seriously interested in multiverses may read this paper paper or this article article in case they have so little time to read.

(1)https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...
Profile Image for Huy.
43 reviews5 followers
March 30, 2018
Từ khi đọc bài dịch trên một tờ báo gần 20 trang viết về BigBang và quá trình hình thành vũ trụ vào năm 2003. Thời đó người ta còn tranh cãi về thuyết BigBang. Bài viết mô tả vũ trụ trong 1,7 tỉ năm thu gọn trong 12 tiếng đồng hồ. Về vật chất và phản vật chất, về sự may mắn khi số lượng vật chất lớn hơn phản vật chất 1 ít nên vũ trụ mới hình thành chứ không phải là một khoảng không gian toàn ánh sáng. Thời đó người ta chưa bết đến hố đen, vật chất tối hay về cố giáo sư Hawking. Bây giờ đọc cuốn này, cảm xúc thật khác. 15 năm, con người đã nhận ra nhiều điều :). Cuốn sách mà mình thật sự cảm thấy may mắn khi được cầm trên tay, được đọc. Cảm ơn tác giả và dịch giả vì cách viết rất tuyệt, dễ hiểu và sâu sắc, nhưng không đi xa quá khỏi khoa học và thực tế. Thích thú khi đọc đoạn: "Tôi đã lấytrộm bánh mì được thánh ban ơn đem ra so sánh với bánh mì ở nhà dưới kính hiển vi và thấy nó chẳng khác gì nhau. Từ đó tôi đến với khoa học" 😊 có một sự đồng cảm, từ bé mình luôn có hàng triệu câu hỏi mà người lớn không cách nào trả lời được, mình đã hỏi mẹ "Tại sao Trăng lại đi theo chúng ta, tại sao lại có những vì sao, tại sao lại có radio, tại sao xe hơi vượt qua chúng ta lại có gió" khi còn chưa học mẫu giáo cơ. Mẹ chỉ trả lời: Lớn lên con sẽ hiểu, mẹ không giải thích được. Rồi lớn lên tự hiểu rằng chỉ có sách, sách và internet mới có thể cho mình câu trả lời... vẫn không nguôi những câu hỏi...
Suy cho cùng mình có câu nói cuả bản thân là: ở đời có 2 bí mật cần khám phá là, chúng ta đến từ đâu và ra đi như thế nào, hai bí mật lớn nhất là vũ trụ và cái chết .... Vẫn luôn khát khao được biết, được tìm ra câu trả lời cho chính mình.
Profile Image for Sonya.
453 reviews291 followers
January 23, 2017
نظریه ریسمان، جهان های موازی و نظریه (ام) از مباحث مطرح دهه اخیر در زمینه فیزیک کوانتوم و تلاش برای یافتن نظریه ای برای همه چیز است .
در این کتاب نویسنده که خود از دانشمندان فیزیک کوانتوم می باشد به زبان ساده به توضیح مباحث پایه ای در این زمینه پرداخته است.
بعد از کشف گرانش توسط نیوتون انقلاب بزرگی در علم بوجود آمد و سالها بعد با نظریات اینشتین در مورد فیزیک کوانتوم و نظریه تبدیل ماده به انرژی انقلاب دیگری در علم فیزیک پدید آمد.
به طور کلی با چهار نیرو بنیادین در طبیعت مواجه هستیم که سالها دانشمندان در پی کشف تئوری برای یکپارچه کردن این نیرو هاستند.
نیروی گرانش، نیروی الکترومغناتیسی، نیروی هسته ای قوی و نیروی هسته ای ضعیف چهار نیروی بنیادینی هستند که جهان را به پیش می رانند.
تفاوت حیرت انگیز این چهار نیرو از نظر قدرت و ویژگی ها از سوالات اساسی فیزیک است و اینشتین اولین کسی بود که برای یکپارچه کردن این چهار نیرو در یک نظریه جامع تلاش کرد.
مطالعات دانشمندان بعدی به نظریه ریسمان و جهان های موازی منجر شد که این نظریه احتمالا تئوری جامعی در این زمینه خواهد بود.
مباحثی از قبیل پیدایش جهان بعد انفجار بزرگ. پدید آمدن حیات در منظومه شمسی، سیاه چاله ها، وجود جهان های موازی و 11 بعدی بودن جهان در این کتاب مطرح شده است.
Profile Image for Linh.
155 reviews246 followers
Currently reading
February 9, 2017
Nếu cả vũ trụ này vơi hàng tỷ thiên hà và tỷ tỷ ngôi sao từng bé hơn một electron thì liệu trong móng tay tôi có thể có bao nhiêu vũ trụ?
Năng lượng nội tại của vũ trụ là gì? Làm sao từ một đơn vị bé như thế lại có thể chứa năng lượng khủng khiếp đến vậy? Và làm sao vũ trụ lại có thể ra đời từ thinh không? Và làm sao nó có thể giãn nỡ mãi mãi tới vô cùng?
Con người thật vô vọng để có thể hiểu được vũ trụ. Và khi trả lời được 1 câu hỏi thì chỉ sẽ là nơi xuất hiện thêm vô số câu hỏi nữa.
Điểm hay của thuyết Đa Vũ trụ là khả năng vừa dung hợp được thuyết Sáng thế của Thiên chúa giáo (Big Bang) và thuyết vô vàn thế giới của Phật giáo.
Các nhà vật lý thiên văn học, không biết họ có tin vào tôn giáo không? Khoa học thì quá đỗi chật hẹp và thiếu trí tưởng tượng còn các tôn giáo thật ra cũng không hơn gì. Và cả khoa học lẫn tôn giáo đều không thể (và có lẽ sẽ không bao giờ) trả lời được những câu hỏi đó
Profile Image for Gary  Beauregard Bottomley.
934 reviews557 followers
June 6, 2012
"Good read, complement's Greene's books"

Good read. Complement's Brian Greene's book "Fabric of the Cosmos". I recommend reading both, but if you only have time to read one, I'd recommend Greene's books.

Kaku is no Brian Greene, but he tells a good story.
Profile Image for Aleksandar Janjic.
130 reviews20 followers
September 23, 2015
Уопште није лако оцијенити ову књигу. Ако је стрпамо у доста широк кош "популарне науке" и упоредимо са књигама те врсте које сам прочитао ове године, Каку је знатно бољи од Млодинова, али и знатно слабији од Хокинга, коме сам, авај, такође дао четворку. Дакле, ово је негдје за око три и по, али у корист ученика итд. Мада је и велико питање да ли је блентави Млодинов заслужио уопште тројку.

Али сама оцјена и није толико битна колико један рјечити опис ријечима, који ћу сад пробати да напишем. Кренућемо од поенте. Мислим да је поента код књига често врло битна. Рецимо код Млодинова и Хокинга (упркос великој квалитативној разлици) ја нисам успио да видим шта је заправо циљ аутора, осим да нам "испричају нешто о свемиру" и евентуално приближе неке појмове обичним људима који се не баве науком. С друге стране, Вајнбергова књига Снови о коначној теорији (коју сам читао прије него што сам почео да пискарам овде по Гудридсу, тако да нема њеног ривјуа, али биће касније, пошто планирам да је репризирам) и те како има поенту - садржана је у самом наслову. Кад је ријеч о Какуовој књизи, у добром дијелу ми је такође било нејасно шта је заправо поента излагања, јер је аутор углавном описивао ствари које описују сви у сличним књигама - Њутн, гравитација, Ајнштајн, релативност, Хајзенберг, Шредингер, знате већ. Тек пред крај постаје јасно шта је био циљ свега тога - аутор је припремао терен за распредање приче о крају свемира и могућности да интелигентни живот преживи тај крај свемира.

Да ли сте публика за ову књигу може да се одреди једноставним критеријумом. Поставите себи питање - да ли волите шпекулације, непровјерене, непровјерљиве и ненаучне теорије, те филозофски мамбо-џамбо? Ако је одговор потврдан, прочитајте ову књигу. Ако вас стриктно занима наука - прескочите. И узмите нешто од Хокинга или Вајнберга.

Први дио ове књиге, као што сам горе споменуо, углавном се састоји од усуал суспецтса које иначе срећемо по сличној литератури, с тим да овде описи често нису ни довољно јасни ни довољно прецизни, тако да би вам значајно користило ако већ имате предзнање стечено из друге литературе. Има ту богме и неких грешака, нпр. у појмовнику на крају књиге пише како је "неодређеност оповргла детерминизам", што је најблаже речено груба логичка грешка, бар ако узмемо у обзир начин на који је те појмове Каку овде дефинисао. Има и других ствари, које можете да прочитате у разним другим ривјуима. Разни појмови, као нпр. теорија струна и скоро све везано за то, једноставно су у својој сржи превише компликовани да би се објаснили, тако да се аутор узда да ћете из текста да похватате неке основе и да ћете с тим суперповршним разумијевањем успјети да прокрстарите кроз разматрања на крају, што је углавном тачно, али да вас сад неко пита да ли сте ишта научили нпр. о теорији струна, одговор би морао да буде кано клисурина чврсто "јок!".

Они забавни дијелови књиге уопште немају везе с науком. Срећна је околност што Каку узима (има?) персону свемиром и научном фантастиком фасцинираног нерда који стално цитира књижевне и филмске СФ класике и користи их за илустрацију појединих појмова, а при томе му апсолутно није страно да пригрли и најблаже речено сумњиве појмове као што су титуларни паралелни свјетови, више димензије, пут кроз вријеме и сл (потпуни контраст са уштогљеним и намргођеним профом без смисла за хумор Стивеном Вајнбергом). Каку је наиме дошао до закључка да ће свемир на крају да рикне у великом смрзавању и поента ове књиге је заправо до ког нивоа би морала да се развије интелигенција да би тај крај свемира преживјела. Односно, сам развој интелигенције је очигледно недовољан, па ��е ту разматрају и додатне претпоставке, као што је постојање других свемира, и на који начин би људи могли да разгуле у неки од тих других свемира. Све је то лијепо и интересантно, али и помало узн��мирујуће, из разлога које ћемо навести у сљедећем пасусу.

Ова књига само потврђује огромне резерве које имам према свему што тврди модерна наука. У ствари, ја озбиљно вјерујем да бар пола ствари које се данас сматрају као неоспоран научни факат могу једноставно да се баце кроз прозор, јер је процес научног рада превише пристрасан и више заснован на оном што би научници ЖЕЉЕЛИ да виде него ономе што стварно јесте. Ако ти вршиш експеримент и надаш се да ћеш да добијеш неки конкретан резултат, мислим да си са психолошке стране врло подложан да тај експе��имент протумачиш управо онако како ти одговара. Многи појмови се ту уводе из чиста мира (нпр. мултиверзум), а све оно са десет или једанаест димензија у теорији струна одаје укус нечега што је прије педесетак година кренуло по злу и сад се нагомилало у неку тешку бесмислицу за коју се очекује да је прогутамо само зато што тако каже "модерна наука".

Добро, ово горе је мој субјективни утисак, који је врло вјероватно погрешан, јер ја ипак нисам физичар и не знам којим методама је све то провјерено, могуће да постоје километри рачуна и да је све управо тако као што кажу... међутим, неке друге ствари су неоспорне. Прво, модерна наука данас сасвим озбиљно узима могућност постојања мултиверзума. Међутим, у модерној (или било каквој другој) науци ријеч "мултиверзум" уопште не би требало ни да се спомиње, јер је то потпуно научна теорија (не може експериментално ни да се потврди ни да се оповргне). Слично је и са некаквим црвоточинама, које наводно омогућују путовање кроз вријеме, што опет нарушава елементарну логику и једноставно је глупо и бесмислено. Па онда она уобичајена прича како електрон "може да се налази на два мјеста у исто вријеме". Е па извините молим вас. Ако се нешто налази на мјесту А, а то нешто се такође налази и на мјесту Б, а А је различито од Б, онда су то ДВИЈЕ ствари а не једна. И немојте сад да ми се позивате на то како ја немам појма с физиком - ово није физика, већ средњошколска ЛОГИКА, на којој би на крају крајева читаво научно истраживање и требало да буде засновано. Ако бацате кроз прозор логику, зашто да вам онда уопште вјерујемо било шта? Па онда она глупост са мачком. Да ли знате да научници потпуно ОЗБИЉНО разматрају варијанту да је мачка у кутији истовремено и мртва и жива док не отворите кутију и погледате у њу? И на крају само да споменем црну рупу, која је на почетку дефинисана као објекат који има тако јако гравитационо поље да ништа живо не може да му умакне (па ни свјетлост), да би се онда касније ипак констатовало да некакво зрачење полако цури из црне рупе. Што је то контрадикторно самој дефиницији, ником ништа.

Све то наравно није кривица ове књиге већ саме науке и научника. С друге стране, лијепа посљедица тога је да можете да се разбијете писањем о паралелним свјетовима и путовању кроз вријеме и сл. чудима, а да опет очувате ореол "научности". Ко зна, ако овим путем крене и биологија, можда ћемо у блиској будућности све фантазијске књиге морати да пребацимо на полицу алтернативне историје.
Profile Image for Mery Wachanward.
49 reviews
July 3, 2020
Me gusta leer libros de divulgación científica (específicamente sobre física) porque, muchas veces, parecen más ciencia ficción que la ciencia ficción. Michio Kaku nos lleva en un viaje de descubrimiento de las teorías más importantes de la física teórica, empezando por Newton, pasando por Einstein y llegando a Hawking, intercalando a todos aquellos que intervinieron. Termina intentando explicar los avances en el campo de la física cuántica. (Digo que termina ahí porque, aunque lo leí, quisiera eliminar mentalmente esas páginas finales en las que se pregunta si hay un creador) Hay que tener en cuenta que es un libro de 2005, la ciencia ha avanzado mucho y algunos comentarios de Kaku (que no vienen a caso de nada) se salen un toque de contexto, más específicamente ese en que habla de una científica que se parece a Jodie Foster y que, por lo tanto parece fuera de lugar en el ámbito científico (?) Sin ese comentario quizás nunca me hubiera preguntado si Michio Kaku era un machirulo. Está bastante bien para entender algunos conceptos básicos, pero supongo que a esta altura ya deben haber varios libros similares más actualizados (recomiendo el de Galfard: El universo en tu mano)
Profile Image for Alexander Theofanidis.
862 reviews34 followers
July 25, 2022
Ένα εξαιρετικό δείγμα εκλαϊκευμένης επι��τήμης. Σχετικότητα, θεωρία χορδών, υπερσυμμετρία, παράλληλοι κόσμοι, θάνατος του σύμπαντος και άλλα πολλά, με απλό (αλλά όχι απλοϊκό) τρόπο και, κυρίως, ΧΩΡΙΣ τη συνήθη εξοντωτική χρήση μαθηματικών που φέρνουν απόγνωση στον αναγνώστη (δεν έχω πρόβλημα με τα μαθηματικά, έχω φίλους μαθηματικούς. Ας κάνουν ό,τι θέλουν απλώς μακριά από τα βιβλία εκλαϊκευμένης επιστήμης).
Στο κομμάτι της ανάλυσης των υποατομικών σωματιδίων, ο αμύητος ίσως κουραστεί λίγο, όπως και σε κάποια σημεία της θεωρίας Μ, αλλά γενικώς το βιβλίο είναι "τόσο όσο",
Ένα μικρό μείον τα ευχολόγια της κατακλείδας και οι κοσμολογικές αλλά... μη επιστημονικές (σχεδόν θεολογικές) τοποθετήσεις του κάθε παπάρα που αναφέρονται κοντά στο τέλος. Ας αφήσουμε κάποια στιγμή την ιδέα του παππού με τα μούσια που τσεκάρει αν αυνανίζονται οι έφηβοι ενώ ισορροπεί τη σταθερά λ ή Ω για να μην κρασάρει το σύμπαν, ναι; Ευχαριστώ πολύ.
Profile Image for Heini.
35 reviews5 followers
January 29, 2009
I am inclined to see this marvellously inspiring book as consisting of three distinct but entwined parts.

The first part is a an excellent account of the history of modern science told in Michio Kaku's impeccably witty and easily-understood narrative. As such I would recommend this book as a natural continuation of for instance Thomas S. Kuhn's "The Copernican Revolution" or some other similar book about the history of science in general. Parallel Worlds picks up naturally and leads us into the twentieth century and right up to the cutting edge of physics - and beyond with qualified speculation on what the future might hold.

Which constitutes the second and third parts. The second part is about where we are at at the moment. It explains in great detail which issues modern physicists are preoccupied with at the current moment and why. How did they reach these conclusions? On what grounds to they base their suspicions? What could all of these high-brow and abstruse theories be used for in all practicality? Michio Kaku, being a proponent of M-theory himself, is not afraid of letting his own personal stance be known. However, at no point did I feel that he misrepresented his opponents or attempted to distort their views. He treated difference of opinion in a respectful and balanced manner. Also in this second part Michio Kaku explores some of the philosophical implications of M-theory. I am afraid the book falls rather flat in this respect. For all of his formidable intellect it would be an overstatement to say the least to call Michio Kaku a philosopher. Gone are his sharp and illustrative analogies and his concise grasp on the subject matter. I got the impression that Kaku thinks little of philosophy and considers it rather unworthy of his time - unfortunately at the cost of critical thinking in regards to what would otherwise have been some very pertinent issues indeed. Just the fact that Kaku uncritically conflates indeterminism with free will without ever giving any sort of conceptual analysis of what he means by either should be enough to make any philosopher worth her salt cringe. One is left with no idea on what Kaku is really attempting to say.

The third and last part of the book is entirely speculative. That is to say that it is science fictional speculation of what possibilities will become available to us in the future with an emphasis on the scientific feasibility and not so much on the fiction. Kaku imagines various ways it could be possible for a hypothtical evolved intelligence to survive the inevitable death of our universe. I am not sure if Kaku's intent was to provide hope. If it was, I must say he fails. The future seems rather bleak and each of the possibilities he mentions is outweighed by how much could count against it. Nevertheless, the thoughts and ideas are very interesting and if you like science fiction for its exploration of what might be, you will certainly enjoy this book.

I gave the book four stars. The only thing that prevents me from giving it five is the above-mentioned wanton carelessness when it comes to philosophical considerations coupled with some minor, yet inexcusable, mistakes, which could all have been avoided if only Michio Kaku would have bothered to do more research outside of his own field when writing the book. (The most hilarious example of an avoidable mistake is that at one point Kaku sums up the plot of The Matrix franchise as humans being kept in a virtual reality by aliens. Perhaps not the most damning thing to get wrong but this detracts nothing from how little effort it would have taken to get it right.)

All in all a book well worth reading despite its short-comings.
Profile Image for Nathan.
233 reviews185 followers
October 6, 2007
Michio Kaku is quickly becoming my favorite science writer, and easily my favorite hypothetical or theoretical physicist. His ideas and the way he presents them make fun, easy reading for those of us who were always terrible in math and didn't digest much about astrophysics in school. He deals with a lot of "what if" scenarios, and more than most modern physicists he holds onto his imagination. Kaku's work bristles with excitement, something you can rarely say about a book covering cosmological topics. In most cases, unless you know how to build a particle accelerator in your basement, you're not going to get excited by a tome on cosmological constants and the mathematical flatness of the universe. Kaku, however, is just as happy talking about science fiction as he is talking the mathematics of a black hole, and his enthusiasm is contagious. Parallel Worlds is no let-down, and any fan of fascinating books about modern science that brim with imaginative possibilities should check Kaku's work out. This (along with Hyperspace) is one of the most fun books on cosmology I've ever read.

NC
Profile Image for Holly.
305 reviews25 followers
July 1, 2011
This book isn't exactly light reading. It's not what I'm accustomed to reading, either, but science has always been one of those topics I love to watch on tv, but flounder at in class. But I wasn't being graded on Parallel Worlds so it worked out fine!

Mr. Kaku is actually one of my favorite guys on History Channel's The Universe (also gotta love Neil deGrasse Tyson) so I was really excited to read his book. I won't lie; it's not a summer beach read, in my opinion, but it's worth the read.

String theory is exciting to read about to me because it's almost like real-life science fiction. Mr. Kaku covers that, along with how it relates (and doesn't relate) to Relativity and other laws and theories. He goes over scientists who paved the way to this theory, and everything in between. The book shows how string theory can be possible, and what it could end up being: The Theory of Everything.

If you're at all interested in physics or the universe, I would suggest this book.
Profile Image for Brigid Cruickshank.
102 reviews17 followers
June 20, 2018
Easy to read, they said; a good 1st dive into physics for the novice, they said. It was, in the beginning an interesting and enjoyable read - but then my lit spoiled brain began to hurt a bit. I stopped often, to read "real" books, it's true, but I finally made it through the dark era (despite my lack of warp drive). That is all I can say, however, I finished. I did learn a few things but then those tidbits of information slipped through a black hole and now it's in a different universe. My journey there will have to wait though because, after all, it's summer. And, my brain is begging for some literature.
5 reviews
December 26, 2008
This book is an entertaining and interesting read. Almost no formula, although you still need some basics to get the most out of it. It will update your general knowledge about cosmology to year 2004, when the book was written.

The Large Hadron Collider(LHC) came online this year. Some scientists predicted that LHC could create black hole, which could destroy the earth. We all know what happened now. Dr. Kaku talked about LHC in his book - LHC could only create black hole in subatomic level with a very small probability. In other words, LHC would not a black hole in astonomical size.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 753 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.