Start by marking “Collapse (The Ashwood Lies, #1)” as Want to Read:
Collapse (The Ashwood Lies, #1)

(The Ashwood Lies #1)

How far would you go to save your friends?

When Chase finds survival gear hidden in the attic of his boarding school, he realizes Ashwood Prep isn’t what it seems. Thrust into a conspiracy that is centuries old, he can choose to run or stand up and fight.

After an earthquake cuts the school off from the rest of the world, Chase has to figure out who’s a friend, who’s an ene
Published December 27th 2016 by Kindle Press

Start your review of Collapse (The Ashwood Lies, #1)
Sarah Elizabeth
(I received an advance copy of this book for free. Thanks to Kindle Scout.)

This was a YA apocalyptic story, about some kids at a boarding school.

The characters in this were okay, but I didn't really love any of them, and found them quite hard to connect with.

The storyline in this was about a boarding school where kids were trained to be useful in the event of an apocalypse. I found the story quite boring though, and struggled to finish the book.

The ending had a bit of action and some unexpected
Montzalee Wittmann
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Collapse (The Ashwood Lies #1) by R.J. Infantino is a kindle scout book. It is more a teen book and has a good plot and interesting characters. The teens dialogue seemed real enough. It had intrigue, suspense, adventure and some action esp. near the end. I don't know if adults will find this down their alley but teens might find it good. ...more
Alice
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, 2-star
2* dnf: 25%
(edit: The romance was stupid and the plot was lame.)

This book does some of my pet peeves. Puts in character development with the love interest by random conversation without relating it to the plot. Lots of flashbacks to past events. Whenever the main character meets someone he knows he gives a long description on his history with them. Just have a conversation (related to the actual plot of course) and I will know what type of character they are. Action scenes were ok.

The best part
Susie
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Susie by: Kindle Scout
Yes, but no.

I voted for this in the Kindle Scout program. It is one of the few books that I’ve ever read preview chapters for before selecting and it left me intrigued. But, when it came down to the book itself, that same first few lines dissipated into… High School drama. Now that can’t be too bad, if it were more than that, and more solid. Eventually, the story is. Eventually there’s more to it than boys who like girls and girls who like boys and all the quarrelling and infighting and gossip.
Jason
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is like a cross between Lord of the Flies and the multitude of young-adult dystopian books that are out at the moment, but with a good mix of gender equality. I will definitely give Infantino credit there, there is a good quantity of strong female characters in this book. Unfortunately, given that it is aimed at a young adult audience, I'm not sure it would pass the Bechdel test as the Female characters do tend to talk a lot about boys and be infatuated with them.
However, this is a really f
Susan
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I first found this on the Kindle Scout site. I wanted to read it it just from the 2 chapters posted there and made sure to nominate it. So glad I did! Collapse is the first book in the Ashwood Lies series and does end in a cliffhanger. There is violence.

The book blurb adequately describes the storyline so I'm not going to repeat all of that info here. This is a dystopian thriller filled with high schoolers attending a private school in the middle of nowhere. They are not aware that th
Kay Smillie
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I was given this eBook free through the Kindle Scout scheme.

The chapters posted on the Kindle Scout website enticed me to vote for this book at the time as it sounded occultish, full of lies, hidden historical meanings, and old groups through the centuries ensuring our safety.

The book was exciting to begin with, but I'm afraid that it didn't hold my interest all the way through as it became very slow. It's a pity, because I thought that this had all the hallmarks of being a top notch read.

I stru
Mary Bronson
I thought this book was AMAZING! Once I got started it was hard to put down. I thought the characters and plot were very well written. It is like Hunger Games mixed with Lord of the Flies. The idea of the Founders creep my out, but it made for a very exciting book. It is very rare to read a young adult dystopia novel at the beginning. When you usually read a dystopian book it the world has already changed and people are trying to fight to change it. Can not wait to read the next book!
Alex Shrugged
Collapse is the first book in Ashwood Lies series. While it is a good read, it ends in a cliffhanger which I do not like. I almost gave this book 2 stars, but the actual writing is good. Character development from the standpoint of a teen book is good. The number of corny lines is kept to a minimum but they exist. (Teenage boys trying to express their feelings to teenage girls should limit their words to single syllables and try not to grunt.)

Any problems? The S-word is used but the F-word is no
Jim
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers, ya
Another great story is born. Come to Ashwood Prep in the wilds of Pennsylvania and meet a large cast of characters who are working hard in college prep and becoming who they can be. Then the earthquake comes, the professors mostly abandon the youth, and hints of a conspiracy develop. What is the real purpose of the school, is it actually an earthquake or a nuclear war, why are there so many guns and bunker on site, and who will lead the students? Many questions are answered here, but so many to ...more
Rebecca
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-scout
This book is classified as dystopian, but much of the beginning felt more like it was just some natural disaster. Which, in itself, is fine. People isolated from society as this school group was wouldn't necessarily think that it was the end of the world. The story is slow-building, with the students forming "sides"--determining which leader they'll follow. I had a hard time with the professors not reacting more. Even if they hadn't expected the catastrophe when it happened, I would have expecte ...more
Garth Mailman
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Chase’s narration perfectly captures that private school ethos. That snobbish love/hate relationship with the institution you’re stuck in irrevocably for your adolescent years. Then comes the earthquake and isolation turning this into a disaster tale that harks back to books such as Lord of the Flies.

The book becomes a post-apocalyptic novel set in a private school. The book needs further editing but is better than some I've read. It would seem the author plans to write at least one more volume
Alberto Sanchez olivas
Entertaining

The subject matter is interesting, but too many areas have unclear content while others are lost due to unnecessary portions. As a sequel, I understand the idea is to grab you so you would want to read the next book in the series, but too many unknowns discourage that from happening. I read, on average, 200+ books per year, many genres, and feel this could have been improved. However, the characters are what kept me reading until the end . Wonderful personalities!
Louise Benham
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stunning

I was swept in from page 1, this is one of those great reads that draws you back to it every chance you get, keeps you up late to find out what's next. I can't wait for the next one!
Doug McNutt
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Story Telling

Good characters, well thought out. Interesting take on "the end the world?" . Great dynamic between characters, especially at their age in the book. Surprising twist leading to the next book. Can't wait to read book 2.
Amy
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Impatiently awaiting the sequel.......
Mary Barb
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing and compelling, Yep!

Theirs much to consider if there are such Prep Schools of breeding future leaders at the expense of devastating the rest of the world. Don't know? Then read this book and go "Hummmm, what if?" Enjoy
Solitarius Lupus
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
While this book is YA dystopian fiction, it can be enjoyed by adults as well. It has a feeling similar to Laybourne's MONUMENT 14 trilogy. ...more
Savannah
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was highly enjoyable, and so much fun! The premise was compelling, the plot was well thought-through and the characters were interesting. It's worth reading, and has re-awakened my love for dystopian. I know dystopian played out a few years ago, but this one's not the same-old same-old, ultra-formulaic stuff we were getting by the end of the craze a couple years ago; this was pretty good. I don't want to prime anyone with indications to things I didn't like or which parts were amazing, so I'l ...more
Pat Cummings
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Pat Cummings by: Kindle Scout
Shelves: reviewed
Why would a high-end private school be stock-piling weapons and ammunition in the attics? Chase isn't sure, but he knows something is wrong, and suspects his girl-friend's claims about her brother's death are more than just fantasy. If Maya's fears are real, graduating from Ashwood Prep may be less about getting into an Ivy League school, and more about surviving the Apocalypse.

If disaster does strike, how will the elite students at Ashwood respond? As in real life: some will lead. Some will pa
Roylyne Markos
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good rtory

This book was interesting all the way through. The chara.cters were very real to me and their interaction was real too. Infantile kept everything moving right along, up to a rather surprising end. I am looking forward to the sequel. This is a bonified purchase
ryder
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great

This was actually a really good book. I was surprised. I will be reading more of this authors work. Can't wait for the next book....
Bridgett Brown
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book through the Kindle Scout Program. Ashwood is a private high school in the middle of nowhere. Everyone has secrets but none are darker than the secrets that belong to the school itself. During the Thanksgiving break, a series of earthquakes traps a group of students and professors at the school. As they realize that help isn't coming anytime soon, those secrets will start to be revealed. The premise was great, the plot was well thought-through and the characters wer ...more
Liz
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: finished-in-2017
3.5 out of 5

Special thanks to RJ for letting me read and be apart of his journey to his first published book! Also, I thank him for exposing me to his writing style and thought process!

I really enjoyed the story RJ wove, and the complexities he introduced to his characters. To me, he gave a fairly accurate account of how teenagers will react to a series of unfortunate events due to natural and unnatural disasters. The characters each held their own distinct personalities full of strengths weakne
Laura E. Mackey
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book

I enjoyed the plot. When I was young I always wanted to go to boarding school, and have not found many books on boarding schools that would have changed my mind. I like end of world, dystopian stories, and this is a great start to a series. I read this book the first time last summer, and I am disappointed that the next book has not been released.
PJ Lea
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
The ugly truth.

Lies and secrets, knowing who to trust and, more importantly, what is really going on.
A darn good story, disturbing at times, I was pretty much hooked by the end of the first chapter. It is something that I want to read more of.
Tina Huntz
Dec 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Entertaining and nostalgic. It made me want to go back to school, but a boarding school. It kept me away from my seasonal blues.
Tiffany
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Twists and turns around every edge of this book.

If you do not enjoy cliffhangers, wait to read this until the sequel is available. Or don't, but read it.
Ann Simpson
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book and will read #2 when it is published. I want to know what happens to Chase and his friends now that their worlds have been....
Ashli Lewis
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it

• Madness Rising (Survive the Fall #2)
  • Powerless World (Survive the Fall #1)
  • The Farm Book 2 : Behind The Curve (Behind The Curve - The Farm)
  • Devoted
  • The Silent Daughter
  • Interference
  • It Hit The Fan: Piney River Apocalypse
  • Broken Lines: EMP Survival (EMP Survival in a Powerless World- Series Book 1)
  • Survive the Collapse: A Post-Apocalyptic Survival Thriller (The End of the World Book 1)
  • Survive the Onslaught: A Post-Apocalyptic Survival Thriller (The End of the World Book 2)
  • The Murder of Kelsey Berreth: A Shocking True Crime Story
  • The Bar in the Middle of Nowhere (The Watchers Book 3)
  • Let This Be Our Secret
  • The Bar at the Edge of the Sea (The Watchers Book 2)
  • Out of the Wild: A Wilderness Survival Thriller
  • Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3)
  • Extinction Point: Kings
  • Buck and Bean

The Ashwood Lies (2 books)
  • Escape (The Ashwood Lies Prequel, #0.5)