Start by marking “Taste (Terraway #1)” as Want to Read:
Taste (Terraway #1)

Taste

(Terraway #1)

What to do when your crush turns out to be a monster (and other such problems).

Just when correctional nurse October Grace has a handle on her stressful job and taking care of her mentally ill mother, a shapeshifting warrior and a half-vampire plunge her into a foreign land that’s on the brink of starvation. Now, with a ticking clock and a target on her back, October tak
Published October 26th 2016 (first published October 13th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Taste, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taste

Start your review of Taste (Terraway #1)
Choko
May 31, 2020 rated it liked it
*** 3.33 ***

##### A note after finishing the series #####

Just wanted to let those interested in the series to know, that although the series is advertised as a Reverse Harem, it really isn't, or at least not in the traditional sense of the term.

This is a Paranormal story with a lot of relationship drama and some romance. The main character is October Grace, a young woman who is dealing with childhood abuse and neglect, which has left her with some mental illness, mostly anxiety and obsessive co
DW
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: terraway-series
Well.. that was different but in a super fun way!!!

This is the same author that helped me realize that garden gnomes are sexy. Do not judge me!

Honestly, I'm not sure how to explain what was happening. We are taken to a whole different world. There are fish people, goblins, half vampires, horse people, mud people and Vikings (my favorite).

They are trying to save their world from starving.
Turns out October Grace has a gift that can save them.

October is OCD. She has some very strange ways. She d
Continuum
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm so sad to give this only 2 stars, because I think that the author is very talented. I liked her style. She writes very believably. But here lies the problem: the descriptions about bugs, and mud, and trash and so on are so realistic, that every time the heroine scratched herself I started scratching.
This book gave me an allergic reaction. I'm talking goose bumps, the itching and just general disgust.

Another thing that bothered me was the mythology itself. I still cant wrap my head around th
Soo
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Notes:

Awesome setup! Cool setting, interesting twist on sineaters and I love the main cast of characters.
Meghan
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
NOT a Reverse Harem

I’m reviewing this book after having read the entire 8 book series, but I wanted to come back and give future readers a bit of a disclaimer. This series is NOT a western style Reverse Harem, where the FMC ends up with 3+ guys. This is a Japanese manga style RH where there are multiple guys INTERESTED IN the FMC but she only ends up with 1 guy.

Besides the false advertising the series is pretty good. There’s unique world building and well written characters, although is does g
Runningrabbit
Tastes like spirit

This is a complex novel with a number of things spiralling out of nowhere but leaves the reader waiting to see what mess the protagonist, October, finds herself in next.

I love the insight the author gives us on multiple characters, including peripheral characters, in both their approach to their immediate lifestyles and their response to the environment they find themselves in, including what they feel their responsibilities are. Or not. The characters are incredibly diverse a
Raquel Evans
This book is hard to rate. The writing is good, and the characters are fantastic (some of them are also disturbing, but a fantastically characterized disturbing). From that perspective it deserves a higher rating.

However, I have a suspicion that some of the relationships in this book are set up to be headed in kind of disturbing places, and reading some of the reviews on the rest of the series indicates that I'm not the only one with concerns. Because of this, I'm not planning to read the rest
Claire
Nov 06, 2017 marked it as to-read
I wouldn't normally read books like this anymore BUT
description
Filipino folklore caught my attention.
Tiffany
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kudos to the author as I was so grossed out for generally the first 20-30% of the book from the vivid and realistic descriptions. I'm honestly not sure how my stomach made it through some of those scenes.

The story itself was unique and most of the characters were well defined. All in all a good read for me.
Ms. Cyn
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Surprised

I am extremely surprised how much I enjoyed this story. October is a bit difficult to deal with at first since her OCD is pretty rough. As I got to know her more, the more I realized that she has pushed through so much and is far stronger than she looks. She works in a prison as a nurse so she has to be tough. I think what annoyed me most was how she lets everyone push her limits, especially her mother.

Being the Omen sounds like it will be a tough job. Her, Mason, and Von all have some
Coco.V
Oct 24, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (10/24/2017)!
Amara
Apr 07, 2020 rated it liked it
RH? Maybe in later books.

This story has a lot of great world building. The characters introduced so far make me want to keep reading and see where this goes.
Punkin
Hmm

Interesting, creepy, sad and funny. Definitely not very graphic and major minor on the.romance. Meh on the adventure as.well. But I did keep turning pages..
Kathryn John
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book as an ARC Reader. I didn't know what to expect but I knew it'd be fantasy and I like fantasy so I did my best to keep an open mind and I jumped in. The casual style of writing and super casual voice at first made me suspect I had made a mistake and the book would be unprofessional trash.

Ooooooh boy was I wrong!

The dialogue was entertaining and quick-witted and the action kept me going going going till my family had to bug me to stop reading and tend to my mommy duties. I nev
Amber
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I picked this up purely because I was curious to see how Filipino folklore would be used and got SO much more than I expected. I'll give a warning that there is abuse in this book as well as some self harm but for me it was handled well. ...more
Carolyn
Jan 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I received this book as a free ARC in exchange for an honest review. This was an interesting story. It was slow at first and took some time getting into, but about 10 chapters in the action picked up and started to get more fun. The characters are likable, though I had a hard time with October. She seemed to have somewhat of a split personality, though maybe that's the point. I enjoyed seeing how Twomey handles neuroses. The Filipino folklore is intriguing. I look forward to finding out more abo ...more
Jade
Jan 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is terrible. I really didn’t want to finish it and yet I kept going to see if it would get better. I couldn’t stand the characters. The plot wasn’t very interesting. I should’ve stopped reading it after the second chapter. I don’t recommend
Nicki K.
This book was about a million times better than I expected, but, seriously, what was up with that ending? Uncool.

3.5/5
Mariah
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While I'd give this book alone a 5, all in all I'd say this series is about a 4 out of 5. I loved this book and I definitely recommend you read the series, the complex world of Terraway is definitely worth the 3 day read. Word of advice, and this is a little bit of spoiler, don’t get to attached to anyone. Also, if you expected this series to have a reverse harem ending like I did, it doesn’t.

MAJOR ENTIRE SERIES ENDING SPOILER BELOW!!! read this if you don’t want to finish the series ;)

this revi
Aysha Coleman
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ooooooo. Yeah I like it. And I want some more of it!!!

So I’ve had Taste on my wish list for like ever. I love ran across it several times and thought the description was interesting. But the description didn’t do the book the justice. There is just so much ground to cover and this is just the first book.

So firstly, hoarding is a sickness. I can in a very objective and general way understand it. To an extent. Especially if you were someone who grew up and had nothing and was able to finally get
Avid
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Overall, it wasn't bad. You have a girl who meets her soon-to-be stepdad for the first time, and finds out there's more to her life than she was ready for. The pace was sloooooow, and it seemed like it needed a good chop from an editor. But by the end, I was actually appreciative of the extra time spent on character illustration and development. The romance is absolutely realistic - people come in with their own baggage and don't hit it off right away. then circumstances keep them in close proxi ...more
Danielle (Danniegurl)
A very different and cool take. Spoilers below

We start with our FMC October Grace. She is a correctional nurse who suffers from OCD due to having lived in a home with her mother who suffered from hoarding. However October’s home life was always tumultuous, it sounds like Bev, her mother, never wanted her in the first place. It sounds like October was raised by her brother and sister.

Anywho this story isn’t the warm fuzzy story you’d expect. It deals in death, and October’s coping. She is a pers
Anne
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is so freaking cool!!!

Ok so I was searching for some free rh reads since I had just emptied out my gift cards/kindle budget...when I came upon this read. It's free and the author's completely unknown to me. I def didn't expect much when I started on this one. And I don't mean that in a rude way, more like I had done this few times before and didn't get much satisfying results.

But lo and behold, practically a shiny new gift turned new favorite rh read. Ughhh, I think it comes without saying
Chrissy
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shifters, fae, magic, romance
Imaginative and Slightly Twisted Fantasy

October works as a nurse in a correctional facility. She is 22 years old and the youngest of three siblings with a mentally ill mother. She has lived a hard life and has difficulties relating to people, and touching them often triggers an OCD cleaning frenzy.

Her older siblings have moved away and October feels the pressure to visit her mother, so when Bev, her mother, announces she’s met a man, October’s brother Ollie agrees to visit. They all spend the ev
Kate Clark
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“I spotted a large abomination of dust on the dash board. I just detailed Terrace, my Taurus, but there the dust sat, mocking me and throwing up a middle finger that it wouldn’t be banished. I swiped it away, wishing again that all the dirt and dust in the universe would just stay out of my car, my house, and my world, I mean is that too much to ask?”

This is just a “taste” to show how our heroine 22 year old Ms. October Grace, a correctional nurse thinks. Ms. Mary E. Twomey has created an astoni
Aimee Dennis
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Taste is book one in an 8-part fantasy romance series and my first ‘taste’ of Mary E. Twomey’s writing. Although the series indicates a reverse harem, this first book spends most of the time setting the stage for the subsequent books in the series and is tame in comparison to others who just dive right in. The first chapter starts a little rocky but picks up speed and starts to become clear where the author is going with the story and the main character, October Grace.
This unique story is jam pa
Dianna
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Taste, by Mary E. Twomey is the story of October, a young woman with OCD who discovers that she is only part human. The other part is a magical being from another world, and she is a special type of being who can help save it.
Despite this seeming like your average magical girl story, I assure you this is not the case. October is actually a death reaper who needs to harvest souls to keep Terraway alive. Seven races of people depend on her gifts to save their world.
It is interesting to see Octob
Jeanette Wolfe
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
I'm trying hard to like any of the characters, and so far just can't. If you overhear a conversation where two people at a dinner party are talking about breaking your arm and other abuse, would you hang around there after the rest of your family left, alone and at the mercy of people you've already heard want to hurt you? Well no, not unless you're stupid. Yup, the female lead is fairly dumb: she can kick butt on men twice her size, but then after one man that has tried to break her spine, says ...more
Steph
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh this is good. I'm currently on book 3 but I couldn't stop reading to leave a comment for this book after I finished it. So I feel like that should tell u something off the bat.
October is pretty great. I mean she gets annoying with her OCD issues but it's all explained and it makes complete sense to her childhood. But even though she has all of these hang ups and mental disorder she still pushes through and tries to be who she wants to be. Its honestly admirable.
I also enjoy the side characte
Mel
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant storyline!

I actually love October Grace! Such a great character, very funny and stubborn even with her OCD. I like the honest respect of her that she hides. Even for her mum.
You will get sucked in a completely different world. Good development within the storyline, strong plot with twist and turns, I never read a book like this one. I guess it's not for everyone's taste.
The characters are great with sense of humour, Von the half vampire is quite a character, he has problems to take r
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Knight's End (Tangled Crowns, #3)
  • Voiceless (The Willowdale Village Collection, #1)
  • The Pack's Mate (Woodland Packs #1)
  • Academy for Misfit Witches (Academy for Misfit Witches #1)
  • All Foxed Up  (The Chaos of Foxes, #2)
  • Love Bitten (Vampire Blood Royals, #1)
  • Warriors (The Librarian's Coven #2)
  • Smoke And Mirrors (Harem of Freaks #3)
  • Hellfire (Fortuna Academy, #2)
  • Night Of The Shayde (Vampires' Blood Mate, #1)
  • The Omega Games (Hell's Wolves MC #1)
  • House Of Vampires (The Lorena Quinn Trilogy #1)
  • Shared By The Four (The Descendants, #1)
  • For Fox Sake (The Chaos of Foxes, #1)
  • Wild Hunt (Academy of the Gods, #2)
  • What the Fox (The Chaos of Foxes, #3)
  • DARK MONSTER ROMANCE BOXSET: Cyborgs, half-orcs, stone men, and tentacles (Dark Monster Fantasy)
  • Of Beasts and Blood (Arcane Arts Academy, #3)
Mary E. Twomey is a USA Today Bestselling Author who lives in Michigan with her husband and three adorable children. She enjoys reading, writing, vegetarian cooking and telling her children fantastic stories about wombats.

She also writes romance under the name Tuesday Embers.

Visit her online at www.maryetwomey.com.

Terraway (9 books)
  • Tremble (Terraway #2)
  • Torture (Terraway Book 3)
  • Tempt (Terraway #4)