Start by marking “Shadow Maker (Morrighan House Witches #1)” as Want to Read:
Shadow Maker (Morrighan House Witches #1)

Shadow Maker

(Morrighan House Witches #1)

Physics major Dieter Lindemann is perfectly content living in a world where the Shadows he sees and hears are nothing but hallucinations. But when one attacks him, he's forced to confront the fact that maybe he isn't the only witch in the room. He meets Necromancer Alistair Cudmore and discovers that the Shadows are not only real but dangerous.

Though Alistair offers to
Published October 25th 2016 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Maker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow Maker

Start your review of Shadow Maker (Morrighan House Witches #1)
Myriam
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been looking for a book like this for a long time, and I had it all along but didn't get to reading it until now. I wish I had because it is an incredible book, written by an incredibly talented writer and story teller.
The main character is magically inclined Dieter, one of the most resilient characters invented. He is an incredibly multilayered and complex character with an overwhelming amount of stuff happening in his life, in addition to numerous personal issues. And when I say personal
Mel
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book but it could be better.

I actually liked the storyline, good characters but the names doesn't fit the characters somehow. The story is very slow and on some parts confusing, like; Lenna shifted, a brown eye cracking open. “Time’s it?” she croaked. “Uhm—six-forty. Hey, is that a roll of quarters, or are you just happy to see me?” Lenna rolled onto her stomach, flipping him off. “I’m gay, asshole. My dick thinks you’re a chick.”
So It seems that Lenna is a Men? I know that's not the
LisaMarie
Oct 17, 2016 rated it liked it
This was an OK read. I gave it 3 stars for originality and it did have a few suspenseful moments.
Dieter is a troubled teen with issues and mostly seeks physical attention in all the wrong places. He see and hears shadows which leads him to believe he's schizophrenic (with the help of his father, of course). Even with these issues he tries to project the outward appearance of normalcy...he goes to college, runs track & holds down a job. But all of this disappears when he crosses paths with a
Susan  Burgess-Ryan
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my first book by Amir Lane. I normally steer clear of anything that will scare me. (Nightmares). But despite that, I pushed through and read the book. It got a little dicey for me, but it was a good book. Dieter Lindeman is a physics major who is living in a world where he sees and hears Shadows. He thinks they are just hallucinations until one attacks him. Is there another witch close by? He thinks he has found help in the form of Necromancer Alistair Cudmore. But he soon realizes that ...more
Grady
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
‘Shadows danced across the walls and ceiling, unattached to anything.’

Canadian author Amir Lane is an engineer by trade and a ‘writer of supernatural and urban fantasy novels and short stories, a voice actor, a chronic procrastinator, and actually a bird. ‘It is not clear why Amir refers to self as they unless the book is a joint writership. But sensing the humor that abounds in the book we likely will at some point discover more about this talented author. Amir is defined as a masculine name.

Kirsty McManus
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't have a huge history of reading paranormal fiction, but I really enjoyed this. The storyline was unique and the whole vibe was suitably creepy and disturbing.

I loved learning about Dieter and the people in his life - and how everything isn't quite what it seems. I'm really keen to check out Book 2, so I can see how the new-found understanding of his abilities develops even further.

I'm not sure I fully got what it meant to be a 'familiar', 'sensitive' or 'empath' but that could just be
S.A. Crow
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This felt at times like a hot mess of a book, but a fascinating and satisfying one. Huge leaps in time that were hard to believe, given how painful things were for Dieter (how on earth was he surviving and keeping up at school?) and that some relationships didn't seem to progress in between the scenes. I felt I was only getting the world in fragments, same with the story. But there were so many threads set out that caught my interest and I'd love to see explored in the next book, and I felt so ...more
Catherine Griffin
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews
A college student discovers he isn’t schizophrenic: he’s a necromancer.

Student Dieter, despite having magic in the family, thinks the weird stuff he sees and hears is just hallucinations until he meets necromancer Alistair, who starts teaching him the trade. Unfortunately Alistair is a bit of a psycho (who could have guessed).

Told in first person, this is an interesting, dark take on urban fantasy, very engaging, and well written with few editing errors. The story is pretty much standalone but
Scott Sammons
Gay romance, pathetically weak main character.

When I purchased this book, either there was no reference to the homo-etotic aspects of O missed said reference. Though I find gay romances to be unpleasantly jarring, it is the sadsack weakness in the main character that I find most disappointing. Bella from the Twilight series was a pillar of strength in comparison. I have no interest in any further writing from Amir Lane. For those who like the styling described in the previously mentioned book,
Hensu
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awaiting the other books in the series!

Amir has a well-paced, snappy style of writing that fits this kind of urban fantasy genre well. The book's characters are interesting and diverse, and I hope to discover more of them in the future.

The story itself is captivating; I tend to only read a chapter or two of a book to finish my day, but I had a hard time stopping myself from reading all of Shadow Maker in one go. I'm usually rather queasy when it comes to descriptions of anything gruesome, but
Mishca
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting storyline

The only reason I made it through this book was because it's storyline and premise was intriguing. The fact the main character was told he was schizophrenic in a world where magic seemed common place to him was intestine enough. The main character himself was fun to read about. Unfortunately I could tell you next to nothing about any of the other characters including the main antagonist. There is tons of potential in this book it just needed so much more detail and time
Kristine Schwartz
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Amir did a wonderful job with this book. The voice of Dieter was refreshing to read. The characters unique and eccentric. And the storyline? It was well paced, held enough hooks to keep the reader reading, and quite a few plot twists. I thoroughly enjoyed the read.
Some mature themes fill this novel. I’d recommend this to any reader of mature urban fantasy accepting of darker themes written fictionally. (Open sexuality, mental health, self harm, etc)
Julia Stephanie
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This would have been 5 stars if not for the total rushed/nonexistent ending. There's this huge gap in time before it's over and it just made me tilt my head and go wtf. This is the most eclectic interpretation of magic that I've come across so far, and while I did find it intriguing and even thrilling, I would have enjoyed a little bit more background. Look forward to book 2 and hoping for some more delving into the magical properties.
Melissa
Aug 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
I spent most of this book confused about the world we are reading about. The world and its rules are never explained. You get no real incite into the characters or their motivations. The MC is weak, and so emotionally damaged as to be sad and pathetic. I couldn't like any of the characters, from the MC's to the side characters.
Tina Crist
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Different kind of witch story than I normally read.

Twins that are for the most part astranged from their father. There dad is calling the mentally ill or that tgey have brian defects instead of telling them what the really are and helping them to deal with the magic that they have.
Alayna
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ku, read-2018
I...need to go back and re-read this sometime. The writing style really got in the way of what I think is a truly interesting story, and I need to go back and try again sometime when I'm not as distracted and coming down off the end of a long-time series. But for now it remains a solid 3*.
Alex Latham
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book 27 complete.
L. Rambit
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt-lit
"The cold silence that left Dieter with the constant feeling that he'd done something wrong. He hadn't, though, at least he didn't think he had. All he'd done was become a Necromancer, and that wasn't even his fault."

How odd a feeling it is to learn that one of your friends writes professionally! And how wonderful to read their work and find that you LOVE it!

This was an exciting story; full of queer characters both relatable and, somehow, familiar finding that their world is not what it

Kate Clark
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
“Shadows danced across the ceiling, unattached to anything. Nobody but Dieter seemed to notice them. Raspy whispers echoed off the walls of the small lecture hall and drowned out the professor’s voice. Diederich Lindemann looked up from his notebook, his mouth twisted in announce. ‘Shut up’, he almost hissed, ‘I’m trying to listen you a$$holes.’ But nobody’s lips were moving. Everyone’s heads were bowed over the long tables, scribbling in their notebooks, or on tablet screens, or tapping away on ...more
Kaye
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is not my ordinary read. There are not a lot of sexy times, the story is dark and twisted, and the story involved something I was not familiar with - shadows, seers and more. But you know what, I really enjoyed the thrill this book gave me, as a matter of fact, I read it in one sitting, I couldn't stop. The fact that this is not my usual genre, nor this is my regular trope, it worked for me. The action and suspense is gripping.

I know we haven't heard the last of Dieter ad Lindy, at
Nessa
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very creative and imaginative read. I did enjoy it, especially since I've never read about shadows before. The characters were interesting, with the main character, Dieter, being a necromancer. I really loved Aldo, although I didn't understand totally how he came about. I just love Jaguars. :) There were some aspects of the story that could have used a bit more clarity (at least to me), or depth. The style of writing was okay and the story did have me titillated from the beginning. :)
Treena Beavers
Sep 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Takes a bit of getting into, very fast paced, it's a good a mixture of psychological thriller bordering into horror. The deep dark emotion of Dieter comes through well, almost as if it's a constant nightmare he's suffering while he's awake.
Confusing at times as it jumps around alot, however I thought it was an intriguing idea.

I received this book free via instafreebie in exchange for an honest review.
Wendy Thorpe
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I was pleasantly surprised as to how it evolved into the story. I believe there is room for more story lines to be written off this book. The characters were fun but not enough back story, so I hope to read more on this.
Anie
Jan 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: magic
I like the idea of story and the world, magic system. What I don't like the execution so much... Lead male character is a bit to whiny and let people push him around...
Shawnta
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
pretty good, there were some irritating moments but all in all it was a great read
Lamar
Jessica
Jul 12, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Kindle Unlimited ...: Shadow Maker by Amir Lane 1 2 Jul 28, 2018 07:10AM

• The Legacy (The Darkness Within Saga, # 1)
  • Misfit Mage (Fledgling God #1)
  • Nothing Ventured (The Chosen One, #2)
  • Fallen Sepulchre (The Darkness Within Trilogy, #3)
  • Nothing Gained (The Chosen One #4)
  • Next to Nothing (The Chosen One #3)
  • A Call to Arms (The Chronicles of Arden, #1)
  • Young and Horny: 10 Gay Erotic Short Stories
  • Fire Mage (Blacklight Chronicles, #1)
  • Bear my Fate: A Prequel (Hero Mine #0.5)
  • Skating on Thin Ice: Seattle Sockeyes Hockey (Game On in Seattle, #1)
  • Wolf in the City (Shifters of the Glen, #3)
  • Alpha Vampire's Heir (Tenebrae Brothers #1)
  • Flesh and Blood (The Vampires of Shadow Hills #1)

Morrighan House Witches (4 books)
  • Rise (Morrighan House Witches #0)
  • Bad Omen (Morrighan House Witches #2)
  • Panther Queen (Morrighan House Witches #3)
“It's nothing like that, I swear. Nobody is hurting me.” If he could call the Shadows ‘Nobody’. There was an Odyssey joke in there somewhere that Lindy definitely would have made.” 0 likes