Start by marking “Girl in the Water (Civilian Personnel Recovery Unit, #3)” as Want to Read:
Girl in the Water (Civilian Personnel Recovery Unit, #3)

Girl in the Water

(Civilian Personnel Recovery Unit #3)

He doesn't mind breaking rules, just never his own. Rule #1: You don't seduce the woman you protect.

An epic romantic adventure that will transport you to another world, a spellbinding story about love and hate, honor and evil, hope and justice set against the exotic backdrop of the teeming Amazon rain forest.

After the death of his wife and twin sons, Army vet Ian Slaney
Published October 11th 2016 by Dana Marton

To ask other readers questions about Girl in the Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl in the Water

Julie
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Girl in the Water by Dana Marton is a 2016 publication. I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I have read Dana Marton’s romantic suspense novels for some time now, and always enjoyed them. But, her latest releases have taken on a different tone, by becoming grittier, faster paced, and more adventurous, featuring exotic locales and emotional love stories.

This story is set in Brazil, and features the beautiful Daniela, who was forced at an early age to do whatever i
"Avonna
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When I was asked if I would like to review Dana Marton’s latest book GIRL IN THE WATER, I agreed right away because she has always given me an all-around enjoyable and entertaining romantic suspense read. What a surprise I was in for! This story is more intense, dark, intricate and emotional than any of her previous works.

In the beginning of this story you are introduced to a man who only lives to drink and fight since his discharge from the Army. Ian Slaney blames himself for the death of his w
Cindy ~
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
A dark and very unconventional romance. This book is divided into 3 parts. Part 1 was so dark and dealt with a subject matter that was very hard to read. I will admit I struggled with continuing but I pushed through and I am so glad I did.

Daniela was born in Brazil and is part Baniwa. She grew up dirt poor and after her mother died she was sold into child prostitution at the age of 15. The author holds nothing back in her descriptions of what Daniela went through. At 18 she was temporarily sold
Cynthia
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance-suspense
This book carries a big impact it deals with human trafficking, doing what you must to get by, dealing and learning to overcome you past, starting over, learning to forgive not only yourself but those around you. Ms. Marton covers some very touchy issues that are still going on today. My heart went out to so many of these characters from Ian and Daniela to Finch (lord my heart broke for him) to the babies and children who are taken and their families left wondering, worrying and crying. This is ...more
Carmen Falcone
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If I could recommend one book this year, I'd recommend this one.

I'm Brazilian, therefore whenever I see a book set in my home country or featuring Brazilian characters, I have to say-- I can get overly critical. It's easy for people to follow stereotypes, etc.

NOT this book. Dana Marton did a wonderful job portraying the Brazilian culture, the lush setting, everything really. She also created memorable characters, the type we root for. I loved to see Daniela's growth.

This story is beautiful, s
Renee Entress
5 Stars!

I was pulled right into this story. The story has laughs, murder, suspense, and heartbreak.

If you have not read the below I would recommend reading those books(s) first
Forced Disappearance (Civilian Personnel Recovery Unit #1)
Flash Fire (Civilian Personnel Recovery Unit #2)

This is Daniela and Ian’s story. On a path of self-destruction Ian has nothing left to lose. He lost the only close people that mattered to him or so he though. But when he finds out his best friend disappeared he know
Deb
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've read a large amount of Dana Marton's work, but in my humble opinion, this is her best yet!

Darker than her other work, the characters are all too real and the suspense - staggering. While reading an advanced copy, I often found myself sitting up in bed and hunching over my Kindle, breathless. The intensity was exhilarating, and I could not help cheering for Daniela. Cheering her on, encouraging her to be strong or find the strength she needed.

Daniela is such a strong female character, and ho
Linda
An intense and intriguing epic romantic thriller that is both heartbreaking and heartfelt....

She could live without her past. She was better off without her past. But Ian couldn’t live without his heart.

I was extremely fortunate to read two fabulous romantic suspense books back-to-back a few weeks ago. GIRL IN THE WATER by Dana Marton was one of those books! I can’t say enough amazing things about it. It’s an intense and intriguing epic romantic thriller that is both heartbreaking and heartfel
Micky Cox
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A dark and gritty book that touches onto the all too real subject of child sex slavery in what is by far Dana Marton's best book yet. If you are looking for a light and fluffy romance, look elsewhere. If you are looking for a plot with meat on it's bones and great character development then this is the book for you. I'm not usually one to give out 5 star ratings, but this book deserves it for being a book of substance, plot, character development, intrigue, murder, kidnapping and more.
Dísir
Quite a mesmerising read, although it's admittedly not the type of story that is easy to get into where the leads have a clear path to each other. In fact, I nearly gave up on it in the beginning because of the subject matter and the vast distance that separated the characters which couldn't seem to be closed at all.

But Dana Marton has a style that sucks you in easily and Daniela's and Ian's fraught history is spellbinding yet far from perfect. It's forged over years of connection and moves fro
Linda
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries, 2016-read
Daniela has been raised by her mother to survive the rainforest and whatever life has to throw at her. So when her mother dies and she is sold into a house of prostitution, she does just that...survives while dreaming of something better. Ex-army vet Ian has spent the last two years drinking and getting into fights, all to erase the memory of the drowning deaths of his wife and two young children. Their meeting may prove to have a momentous impact on both their lives. This story explores the sea ...more
E.
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it

Dark and troubling beginning. Great action and intensity. Review to follow
RiriRomantiques
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Congratulations to @Dana Marton ! Where do you find all that inspiration ?
India Caedmon
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Muddy pasts, tainted futures, inexplicable murders. Girl in the Water is absolutely irresistible.

Girl in the Water is set in the Amazon. Umm, okay that's worth 5 stars in itself. You don't need to read the rest of this review, just scroll down and purchase it. But really.

This is romantic suspense done RIGHT, people!

We are first introduced to Ian Slaney. He is a drunken idiot–albeit a sexy one. He's belligerent, barbaric and aggressive. My kind of hubba hubba! *eyebrow waggle*

Ian has succumbed to
Books and Spoons
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a very intense three-part book, where the part one is the backstory, part two focus on the suspense, and then comes part three with the main focus on the romance and wrapping up the tale.
The part one tells the devastating and raw story of an escape from a human trafficking, from sex slavery that she was born into in the Amazons. Daniela's story is heartbreaking, her nearly accidental escape from the destiny she inherited from her mother is awe-inspiring, what she is able to accomplish w
Sue Chatterjee
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dana Marton has brought to this intriguing novel all of the complexity and richness of character that is so evident in her Fantasy series Hardstorm Saga. This book reaches deep into the gritty underworld of sex trafficking and the sad truth and reality so many girls and women around the world face growing up in male dominated societies where females have little to no control over their lives and especially their bodies. It also reinforces the sad fact that this problem is not just in the backwat ...more
Vivian
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Daniela wanted to be a school teacher when she grew up. Leave the rain forest that surrounded them and study abroad. Instead of sharing this dream with her mother, “she tucked her dreams of higher learning away with dreams of a full belly.”

The village consisted of all kinds of people. Her family being Baniwa, or river people. They would receive loggers each season, after the rains. She received her first as a young child, much the same as her mother before her. After her mother’s untimely death
Wendelah1
Jul 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
A. M. Kimber
I really wish GoodReads had half stars, this would be a 2.5. There were some really good moments, unfortunately they were far and few.

The set up was nice and strong, you got a deep sense of who Ian and Dani are and were. How their past shaped them into the people they became but, sadly that starter began to fizzle with too much exposition and back story with things that didn’t matter. Like when Marco’s father began telling about his past. Yeah? Really? Who gives a sh*t.

Or when the characters s
Ash
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well written book. Enjoyed reading it. Happy that the story progressed over the years instead of them suddenly falling in love and getting married within a week. When the heroine finally realised that Ian wont ever be with her due to his issues then she didn't keep on pining for him but moved on in her life.
1 star less because
1. Heroine got dumped by the guy she had moved on with and realised Ian was "it" for her.
2. After so many denials ,Ian just gave in to her which kind of took away from his
BreRile
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A slow start but worth the read

I thought the 2nd book in the series was excellent and as I started reading this one, I worried the author peaked too soon. While I wasn't a fan of the main couple, the author's writing is strong enough to make their relationship plausible and may me want them to succeed as a couple. I think the serious themes in this book were why I didn't like the main couple but Ms. Marton does both the issues and her characters justice. I hope she continues to write this series
Maria Sanchez
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five Stars

I loved reading the Civilian Personnel Series,fantastic writing ,the books are filled with action,love and backstories that will break your heart especially book 3.It shows that love can conquer all and the female character are equal to the male character .They are partners in the good as well as the bad times.I give it 5 stars and if the rating was for 10 stars I would definitely recommended to reader who enjoy reading about a strong,kick ass female charcters.
Stephanie Herron
Good but a heavy subject

I have read several of Dana Marton 's books and was excited to read this one. I was a bit surprised as it written a bit differently than the others I've read. It took a couple of chapters to figure out all the characters but once I did it flowed well. It was a bit difficult to read about child sex slavery but I had faith it would end well. I will definitely read more in this series.
Phyllis
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Liked story, loved characters. Daniela a strong girl, thank God she got out but whatever happened I felt she would prevail . Loved Ian, a salvation story for both he and Daniela .

Brazil sounds terrible,

Happy to know this is a series. Like concept of a company that searches and rescues people.
Becki
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Girl in the Water

Great book. This was a romance book with some adventure and a look at the real issue of human trafficking. I know this book didn't touch on how truly horrible human trafficking is, but every bit of awareness this book and others like it bring to the forefront helps. Aside from the heavy, great HEA.
Ron
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A compelling and poignant story with vivid characters, strong and realistic action amid a constant simmer of tension. I loved the touches of Brazilian culture. Powerful human trafficking theme. There is romance, but not the wistful hearts and flowers style that might put off male readers. I read it in two sittings.
Jessica Duncan
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

What a great weekend read! 30% into the book and it seemed like the end and then more drama to my surprise. I can’t believe how many different stories wrapped into just this one. I loved it.
Heather Hughes
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!

I loved this book. The twists and turns are really page turners and the overall story was amazing. Not nearly as predictable as most books. Look forward to more from this author!
S. R. Lewis
Much too dark for me

I could not get past the first 20 pages. Way too dark and graphic for what I'm looking for in reading for entertainment. I really can't rate the book as a whole but it is a do-not-read for me.
Juli
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
All I can say is WOW

OMG what a heartbreaking, thriller, and second chances at life. What an emotional & moving book, I didn't want to put it down. All I really can say is WOW. Thank you Ms. Marton. :) Juli S
« previous 1 3 next »

• Cowboy's Redemption (The Montana Cahills, #4)
  • Black Diamond (Wilds of the Bayou, #2)
  • Covert Games (Redemption Harbor, #6)
  • His Undercover Princess (Tempt Me, #1)
  • Tinderbox (Flashpoint, #1)
  • Shadows to Ashes (The Midnight Saga Book 3)
  • Countdown (Cassidy & Spenser #5)
  • Bait (Duty & Honor, #2)
  • Dangerous Desire
  • Vidalia ('Not Quite', #1)
  • Till Justice is Served (Killer Affections, #1)
  • Secrets Hidden In The Glass (A Carter Island Novel)
  • The Enforcer (Taskforce, #3)
  • Swamp Monster Massacre
  • X-Ops Exposed (X-Ops #8)
  • The Red Lily (Vampire Blood, #2)
Dana Marton writes fast-paced action-adventure romances that take her readers all over the globe. She is a Rita Award finalist and the winner of the Daphne du Maurier Award of Excellence. She loves writing stories of intrigue, filled with dangerous plots that try her tough-as-nails heroes and the special women they fall in love with. Her books have been published in seven languages in eleven coun ...more

Civilian Personnel Recovery Unit (3 books)
  • Forced Disappearance (Civilian Personnel Recovery Unit #1)
  • Flash Fire (Civilian Personnel Recovery Unit #2)
“She sashayed into the kitchen like she lived there, and grabbed two glasses from the counter, rinsed them in the sink, all very domestic.
His eyes strayed to her breasts. “You came to do dishes?”
“I came to come.” She winked, smiling from ear to ear.
“Gotta appreciate a straight-talking woman.”
0 likes
“In the middle of the house stood the largest, scariest man she’d ever seen. Senhor Finch had been sunshine, but this foreigner was a night storm. He seemed to fill the house like a dark cloud. Too big, too strong, his gaze too sharp on her. And as she turned to flee, he thundered, “Stop!”
And the next second, the man had her arm in his grip.”
0 likes