Start by marking “Wave” as Want to Read:
Wave

Wave

In this evocative wordless book, internationally acclaimed artist Suzy Lee tells the story of a little girl's day at the beach.

New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Book 2008
Published April 16th 2008 by Chronicle Books

Start your review of Wave
Hilary
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Thos who enjoy books with no text
Recommended to Hilary by: Lisa Vegan
This wonderful picture book with no text shows us a little girl going to the beach for the day with her mother. The little girl drawn on one side in black and white the sea on the other side in blue and gradually they meet. The book captures the feel of how fun it is to be by the sea as a child.
David Schaafsma
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well, I read recently Lee's Mirror and had read other work by her, so I saw that by far the most read and liked book of hers on Goodreads is Wave. It doesn't have the emotional complexity of Mirror and it's just "up," more than anything else, but it's not sappy or simplistic, either. The art is great, with lots of space for reflection and contemplation, pencils and watercolors. It's a wordless or silent story about a girl who creates a playful relationship with a wave, a friendship. I liked it a ...more
Manybooks
The adorable (and of course wordless) antics of a little girl encountering waves on the beach are evocative, sweetly humouros, although I do kind of wish that the mother had been rather more visible in the background and that the little girl had worn a life jacket or personal floatation device. And while this small lack does not really take all that much from my aesthetic enjoyment of Suzy Lee's Wave, the fact remains that the sea can be dangerous and unpredictable, and proper safety precautions ...more
Kathryn
Jul 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Charming wordless picture book that tells the story of a young girl's encounter with the waves—from her initial timidity at the new experience, to brash taunting that the wave won't get her, to humble-pie-ing when it *does*--discovering treasures that it washes ashore. In the end, she has found a new friend in the sea and "waves" a fond farewell.
Jan Philipzig
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wordless meditation on childhood and its relationship to nature - poetic and wonderful (if all too brief).
Lisa Vegan
May 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of brilliant wordless picture books, the ocean, the beach, nature, humor
Oh, I just loved this book. It’s brilliant in every way. I was completely charmed.

It’s the wordless story of a young girl who goes to the beach with her mother/a female adult, and it’s about her, some birds, some beach finds, and some waves/the ocean.

Any young child or any person who took at least one beach trip as a child will perfectly understand the events.

Recently, some Goodreads’ members and I were talking about the book Karen and I remember one line from that book, paraphrased here, that:
Agnė
Wave is a simple, playful, and charming wordless picturebook in which the gutter plays a crucial part in the story:

Crystal Marcos
Jan 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: wordless picture book lovers and beach/ocean admirers
A delightful wordless picture book brought to my attention by the Children’s Picture Book Club monthly discussions found here http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4... It is about a little girl at the beach and her interactions with a wave and some friendly seagulls. Fun illustrations with simple color choices, blue, white, and black make this book worth the read. One thing that was a bit perplexing and slightly annoying was in some of the illustrations the poor little girl lost a limb because of ...more
Dov Zeller
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This is a beautiful, wordless picture book which tells the story of a shifting relationship between a kid and some ocean waves. There's a lot of humor, and allegorical undercurrents. It's working on a lot of levels at once, and the art is great.
Abigail
Nov 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: (With Caveat) Fans of Suzy Lee / Readers Who Enjoy Wordless Picture-Books
Chosen as one of the Best Illustrated Children’s Books of 2008 by The New York Times, this charming wordless picture-book by Korean artist Suzy Lee tells the story of a young girl's adventure at the beach. Chasing the receding waves, and being chased by them in turn, the girl splashes and cavorts along the shore, by turns delighted with and frightened by her oceanic playmate, which leaves her a parting gift...

After finding Mirror , another of Suzy Lee's wordless picture-books, just delightful
Noran Miss Pumkin
Dec 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
beautiful-one of the best kid's artsy books i have fallen in love with this year. simple and lovely story of a girl and the ocean waves--made wish for San Fran again--we stay on the ocean side every time.
Jon Nakapalau
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pulses with the child like wonderment in discovery...brought back log forgotten memories of the beach for me.
Hayley Miller
Suzy Lee's 'Wave' is a beautifully illustrated wordless picture-book. The story is about a girl visiting the sea side and each full bleed double spread visualises the small girl's emotions about the sea; from feeling anxious and inquisitive to playful and scared.

The use of the gutter in the full bleed double pages play an important part in the story telling. At the start of the book, the small girl stays on the left while the sea stays on the right. The gutter acts as a barrier between them, wi
Ellie Labbett
A delicately illustrated wordless picturebook which spotlights the beauty, mystery and chaos of the sea. As a child stands at the edge of the beach, she watches as the waves wash over to her and peel away, the perfect place for play and all watched over by some nosy seagulls. These really are natural, lovely scenes, and ones that will resonate with so many people's experiences with the sea.
Lee's choice of media here is so immersive and you can almost feel the tide bouncing out of the page. A ve
J & J
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love wordless picture books. This one is cute :)
Cynthia
Oct 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My 9 yr old daughter brought this home from the school library. It has no words, only simple, beautiful drawings of a girl on the shore and of course, waves. You can make up your own story. My daugher and I have shared "reading" this together and it starts discussions about our times at the beach. Just a lovely, simple delight.
Cindy Dobrez
Sep 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
This wordless picture book is fabulous, with one exception. The edition I got from the library loses important parts of the illustrations in the gutter! ARGH. It's too nice of a book for that to happen!
Karen
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ellie, jacob, mom
Love, Love, Love, this book! No words, you make up the story from the pictures. Reminded me of spending time with my kids at the beach and chasing the waves. Looking forward to reading other books by Suzy Lee.
ABC
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book shows a little girl at the beach.

It does look an awfully lot like the sea between Korea and Japan. My son remembered when I lost my sandal in the waves there.
BrookesEducationLibrary
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wordless, sea
This is a stunning picture book which wordlessly tells the story of a little girl's trip to the beach and the hypnotic waves that she evades, crashes against and jumps into.
Theresa
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wordless
1. Wave won the New York Times's Best Illustrated Book Award in 2008 and the Golden Medal from the Society of Illustrators.
2. This book would most likely be for kindergartners through third graders.
3. A girl goes to the beach but is afraid of the water. As her courage grows, she gets closer and closer to the water. As a huge wave heads her way, she runs away from the wave, but it splashes all over her. As she gets up, she is surrounded by shells, starfishes, and other riches of the waters.
4. Eve
Dolly
Feb 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful wordless book about a little girl playing at the ocean. It was fun for us to "read" this book together, and reminisce about our years living in Hawaii. Our girls were quite adamant that her mommy must've been close by, since she could've been pulled out to sea by the big wave and the undertow.

They also pointed out that, "you should never turn your back to the ocean," an important lesson we have taught them. The illustrations were simple, with only shades of black, white, gra
Genie
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
As a teacher:
This wordless book uses 4 elements of design that provides the reader with a wonderful imagination/meaningful connections of a day at the beach. Suzy Lee uses charcoal as a medium to illustrate the mesmerizing wave that the little girl of the story interacts with. Lee uses curved and straight lines to show off the wave's movements as it builds up in the ocean or as it crashes onto the shore. The author also uses rolling "shapes" of the wave to allow for interpretation of the fluidit
Jenne
Feb 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of the nice things about cataloging for a library is you get to see all the different books other people ordered. Every so often will catch my eye and I have to stop and look at it. Now I must admit this happens most with children's books and the ones with gorgeous pictures of food. :)Anyway, this was one of the books that came across my desk, and I couldn't resist flipping through it.

I have always enjoyed wordless books and this one was no exception. I love the simple black and white line
Quynh
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: les-enfants
I read this book during the time of AFCC festival in Singapore. After her presentation about the trilogy: Wave, Mirror and The shadow, all of her books were out of stock. The border between the reality and the imagination is the main theme of all of her books.

It has been such a long time I did not read a book that can inspire me as much as this one.
oliviasbooks
Simple and beautiful - only black coal and blue watercolor - without words, but with plenty expression and room for inventing dialogue:

A little, cheeky girl and a flock of seagulls confront a wave at the sea shore. Who'll have the last word?
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Jul 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING! A beautifully illustrated account of a little girl's interactions with a big blue wave. Perhaps, the most splendidly simple, yet brilliant wordless picture book I've read.
Lynsy
This is pretty cute. At first I thought it was just going to be a fun book (nothing wrong with that), but I did find something a little deeper in it. While playing with the waves on the beach, the little girl eventually gets drenched by a big one (as one does). While at first she sits there quite upset at the whole ordeal, she then realizes that there are pretty shells all around her. To me, this says that we never truly know what's hiding underneath or behind something. This could be a good thi ...more
Jos M
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lovely watercolour images of a little girl playing on the beach, no text. Fantastic sense of playfulness and fun without dipping into the saccharine, as well as a lovely sense of safety when her mother comes to collect her. There is a very strong sense of the self-contained intensity of how toddlers play. I read for my Storytime, with the emphasis on onomatopoeia and gull sounds. The parents engaged with it very well, and some of the kids more than others. A lovely book.
Holly Payne
A wordless book that explores a little girl and her interactions with a wave. At first the girl and the wave are always on separate pages but as time goes on the wave and girl crosses the border of the page divide. This shows all the different emotions the girl is feeling as she develops a friendship with the wave.

• Flashlight
  • If You're A Monster And You Know It
  • Wolf in the Snow
  • The House in the Night
  • Home
Suzy Lee is an artist and illustrator, born in Seoul, Korea. She received her BFA in painting from Seoul National University and her MA in Book Arts from Camberwell College of Arts, London. Her books and paintings have won numerous international awards and have been featured in exhibitions worldwide.

News & Interviews