Start by marking “One Indian Girl” as Want to Read:
One Indian Girl

One Indian Girl

3.26  ·  Rating details ·  24,032 ratings  ·  1,477 reviews
Hi, I'm Radhika Mehta and I'm getting married this week. I work at Goldman Sachs, an investment bank. Thank you for reading my story. However, let me warn you.

You may not like me too much. One, I make a lot of money. Two, I have an opinion on everything. Three, I have had a boyfriend before. OK, maybe two.

Now if all this was the case with a guy, one
Paperback, 1st edition, 272 pages
Published October 1st 2016 by Rupa Publications India

To ask other readers questions about One Indian Girl, please sign up.
Kkr Ram Cant really call this as a novel; for it has no story, no twists, just plain narration. Just a screenplay for a movie. If this book is to be made a…moreCant really call this as a novel; for it has no story, no twists, just plain narration. Just a screenplay for a movie. If this book is to be made a movie, there is no need for a dialogue writer.
Did I find it interesting? Not much. Half way through the book, it got really boring and kind of repetitive.
But at the end, its worth the read for the one message the author tried to convey..... "Why do women have to choose...?" That's where the whole novel scored. (less)

·  24,032 ratings  ·  1,477 reviews

Anish Kohli
Oct 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
“Someone like me, whose breasts aren’t the size of footballs, as PUNJABI men prefer.” Chetan says.

Well, there's another thing PUNJABI men prefer, PICKING FIGHTS and knocking out TEETH. On behalf of them, I’m here to PICK a bloody BATTLE with you Mr. Chetan Bhagat.

Lets’ start by discussing you obsession with degrading the community.

I can understand the concept of laughing at one self, however I do not believe that’s what you’re trying to do though.
In all of your stories, a Punjabi mom ca
Priyanka Adhikary
Oct 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
Dear Chetan, I have a verse for you
Which can be enjoyed by your readers too
So without much delay or ado
Let me share what I think of you

The first book that you penned down
Is the only jewel in your crown
It did give some meaningful insight
Into an engineering student’s plight

The second book was quite a shocker
Made me wonder if you were off your rocker
A story so completely inane
It made reading seem an unbearable pain
Anuradha
No judgments, please! Those of you that know me, know that I sometimes read the really bad books to trash them. What better book is there than Chetan Bhagat's take on feminism? I'm not going to bother with the spoilers here, because I don't actually expect people to read this other than to trash it. If you are reading it because you think "it's good Indian literature", I would request you to kindly fuck off from this review, because you will not like what I have to say.

Meet Radhika Mehta, smart
Varun Parikh
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Read the book at your own risk, might give you a brain stroke.

Below is what the book is basically about:

Spoilers ahead!

Ambitious studious over-achiever middle class Delhi based girl gets a high paying job at goldman sachs NYC.

Has sex with the 1st guy she meets there.
After 2 years of relationship, both act like dicks.
Girl waves feminism flag.
Guy doesn't let go of ego.
Breakup.
Girl cries , throws her phone away, transfers to Hong Kong.

Girl moves to Hong Kong.
Has sex
Manveer
Oct 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
DON'T JUDGE ME. I picked up this book just to rant about it.

“Some people are good at taking decisions. I am not one of them.”
Me too, Mr. Bhagat, me too. Picking up your book was one such decision.

So, Chetan Bhagat has outdone himself. Really. Some of his past works have actually been readable but not this. Even cringeworthy would be too good a word.

So, yes. I ended up wasting a few hours on this book. Actually, I fucking wasted my Friday evening of this book. Oh wait, I/>“Some
Tani
Apr 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-read-this
RATINGS: 1 STAR FOR WRITING SOMETHING RUBBISH

WARNING: ALL THE JUDGEMENTAL PEOPLE WHO THINK I SHOULD BE BIASED AND APPRECIATE AN AUTHOR FROM MY COUNTRY, BACK OFF. I LOVE MY COUNTRY BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN I WON'T CRITICISE WHENEVER SOMETHING IS WRONG. I HAVE CRITICISED MANY BOOKS FROM DIFFERENT NATIONS AND YOU CAN STALK ALL MY REVIEWS TO SEE THAT. IT'LL NEVER BE FAIR FROM MY PART TO JUDGE OTHER AUTHORS HARSHLY AND BE BIASED. SO IF YOU'RE OFFENDED, DON'T READ THIS REVIEW. AND IF YOU COMMENT SOMETHI
Avanthika
Nov 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
No wonder Chetan bagat is a writer with "mass reader-base" who reads his books only to thrash him. The reader-base percentage he has got is inversely proportional to the percentage of people who dont frown at his works.
"Someone like me, whose breasts aren’t the size of footballs, as punjabi men prefer." - Chetan Bagat's ludicrous pseudo-feminist protagonist. What do you think Chetan? Punjabi men are as erroneous as you?
You call yourself an Indian, but you throw shit at Tamils(two states),/>
Vishakha ~ ReadingSpren ~
Behold the script to the next Bollywood hit starring Alia Bhatt, directed by Karan Johar. One Indian Girl is so much like a Bollywood movie that it has one complete 7-page chapter dedicated to women dancing to hit Bollywood songs. I am not kidding. Chapter 38. You can check.

I will tell you something about Feminism, as best as I can in my capacity as a non-intellectual Indian who thank-god isn't a Punjabi. Cuz, Punjabis suck. Ask Chetan Bhagat. He has the dirt on them. So anyway, Feminism
Sharath
Nov 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
WTF did I just read!!!
Why is there no option to give zero stars???

Outline of the story:
A nerdy overachieving girl lands a dream job in the USA. Gets into a relationship, breaks up, moves to Hong Kong. Gets into another relationship, breaks up, moves to London. Agrees to marry a guy, comes back to India, meets ex's, changes mind, dumps all three. Goes on a world tour, meets the guy whom she was prepared to marry, decides to marry him again.
Throw in some feminism(tota
Anagha
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was kind of interested to read this one since the tag 'feminism' was attached to it. But it didn't meet my expectations. The writing wasn't good. The story was okay. The characters weren't likeable except Brijesh(too good to be true in fact) maybe.

Radhika, the biggest hypocrite in the book irritated me throughout.
For example , complains all along on how people never considered her pretty and how her prettier sister was preferred by the guys. But at the same time also rejects prospective groo
Mridu  aka Storypals
Jan 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
hahaha
it's just fun to read the reviews here! xD
Alok Mishra
Apr 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Pre-Script: I don't have time to read Chetan! Didn't read any of his books.

Chetan ji, you seem to be a hysterical person. Good that you finally decided not to write any books further because that would surely create an outrage! You should be doing good in writing film scripts; but please, don't defile the profession of writers. This is surely not the story of 'any Indian girl'. This is the story of your 'thinking' of an Indian girl which we did not like!

Rest is history!

Anushree Rastogi
Oct 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
I can't finish this book. It picks up every single stereotype and brings it to Bollywood-like life like only CB can. It would've been hilarious had it not been for the one sentence "praise" from the New York times on the back page- "most widely sold English author in India." I wish this guy went back to investment banking and left the subtleties of feminism to wherever they were, because "getting shots of self esteem" when someone calls you good looking or slut shaming yourself for wanting to ki ...more
সাদমান হুসাইন
My review will be done in few simple sentences.
I'm not going to talk about the plot, the characters or anything like that.
You can check through other reviews if you wish to learn about those.

Ever had the feeling that you're doing something wrong, discovering something that was meant to be left alone in the cesspit of time?
I had the exact feeling when reading this book.
I feel like throwing up after reading this.

An utter abomination.
Would have given negative s
Nu-Jahat-Jabin
Jul 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Another Full Length Indian Dram Serial Script :/
Abhilash Ruhela
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it

CHETAN BHAGAT- A name that urged Indians to read more than a decade ago. I started reading novels after knowing about the humorous contents his books has. And after that I make sure that I read his books the first day after its release before someone else starts giving the review. Generally people believe in giving negative reviews to his book to prove themselves intellectual, literati or whatever! The last book that made me feel that it's the Chetan Bhagat I know was 2 States. Revolution 20-20
Pooja
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 100-pages
I read the Hindi version of this book. The characters were senseless. Their actions were ridiculously funny. A girl who is one of the most talented and intelligent persons does multiple mistakes, never learning anything and keeps on repeating the loop is the theme.
Chitra Dey Sarkar
Oct 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: avoid-like-plaue
Read this rubbish of a book last night. No stars from me. Throughout the book I could only picture Chetan Bhagat in deep conversations with Alia Bhatt on feminism culminating this bolly-trash of tripe he wants to call a book. Either Chetan Bhagat underestimates the reading population in India or he is as dumb as the protagonist he created, but hey we as a population jump on every opportunity to part with our brains to celebrate movies like Kick , 3 idiots why stop a the big screen then?
Bol
Amit Mishra
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was expecting something different form Chetan Bhagat after reading his Half Girlfriend where he has shown something new. But this one is just an old tale by a contemporary erotic fiction writer. The novel has nothing new to offer to the readers.
I don't know what the author wants to tell us. Whether he is talking about an Indian girl is like this or just an imagination.
The language used in the novel is pathetic and cheap. It feels like an erotic fiction at a certain point.
Overall, the novel
Neha Tomar
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Well, very honestly, I am disappointed. You ask me why?

I just felt, the story was nowhere close to women empowerment or feminism. As someone, who has actually studied feminism in her graduation, I would say, you haven’t even understood what’s feminism.

Wishing to be someone else just to get more attention from men is not feminism.

Moving continents, running away from self, just because a man ditched you is not feminism.

Having sex with your boss becau
Gayathiri Rajendran
Nov 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
Such a terrible waste of time. I don't know why the author insists on dumbing down the language in the book and it is full of stereotypes. He probably feels that Indian people cannot read long and complex sentences and cannot accept complicated ideas and plots. He clearly has underestimated Indian readers. The feminism tag is not at all justified in this book. This is like a classic Bollywood masala story. It's not going to be a surprise if it gets adapted into a film. Over all do not waste your ...more
Umesh Kesavan
Oct 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: iwe, fiction, novels
Interesting plots (which can be converted into movie screenplays) are Chetan Bhagat's strength . Examples are "Five Point Someone" and "Three mistakes of my life". In these two novels, the plot helps the novel transcend the author's inadequacies in style and flair. Sadly, this new novel fails to do that . It is a pity that such a shallow person is celebrated as a public intellectual. Yes,the numbers and sales favour Chetan Bhagat but I remember what C.Annadurai said in a different context : " If ...more
Pallavi Kamat
Oct 08, 2016 rated it liked it
It's a typical Chetan Bhagat novel - from the viewpoint of a female protagonist. I frankly never understood why people hate Bhagat so much. I felt this book was a light read with a few 'feminist' concepts discussed - career-oriented women, career vs. motherhood, etc. It takes you through NYC, Hong Kong & London with a fair bit of Goa thrown in. It does seem like a movie script but I still felt it's better than most movies these days. This book apparently broke all pre-booking records on Amaz ...more
Chloe Kim
Mar 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
Chetan Bhagat sucks!!!
Honestly, it's a waste of time to read such books!
Shweta Paropkari
I swore off Chetan Bhagat after I'd finished Revolution-2020. By then I'd grown as a reader and couldn't handle the trash Bhagat dished out in the name of "youthful-hinglish novels"

I was one of the first people to scoff and troll the author when his twitter feed announced his next *cringe* book. Definitely wasn't going to waste time, money, and effort on this book.

And then I read an amazingly vitriolic review of the book by a hilarious Abhishek Sikhwal on the Daily O (you can read i
Pratibha Mazumdar
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indian-fiction
Indian readers are crazy for Chetan's writings and make his each and every book a bestseller, even before the release. The same story has happened with this book too. The book has all elements and revolves around career, self-discovery, heart-break, marriage, etc. I bought it's ebook and some other bestsellers at amazing discounts from Amazon:
Abitha Kittu
Oct 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
I know it takes a village to write a book. And I felt that the concept of feminism was totally wrong. Radhika has totally messed up her life . She does everything with the person she meets? I don't think that's what I do . I hate this book.

When they were a lot of expectations to this book, it was a utter disappointment for me :(
Jitendra Singh
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great chik-lit. Enjoyed many of its dialogue. Certainly recommend it
Abdul Basith
May 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
COMPLETELY BORING . HATE THIS BOOK .
Karthikeyan SD
Oct 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
I solemnly swear that I would never ever read any more of Chetan Bhagat's works!
Okay. I was not really expecting an intellectually stimulating read from him. But, I expected his One Indian Girl to be a decent novel that one can read for time pass. Nope. I've never been more wrong.
Uninteresting, unending, highly predictable and absolute junk.
I feel bad about calling a piece of writing as junk. But, I don't need to be a writer myslef to criticize a novel, do I?
♥ Nothing Better ...: One Indian Girl - October BOTM 2 22 Oct 18, 2018 10:43AM

• Blinding Beauty (Becoming Beauty #2; The Classical Kingdoms #2)
  • Best Ever Indian Cookbook
  • অক্টারিন
  • Birthdays Around the World
  • Sleeping Lady (Fantasy Playland, #1)
  • Beyond Indigo
  • Motherland
  • Little White Lies
  • After Eden
  • Juan Ponce Enrile: A Memoir
  • ひかりのまち (Hikari no machi)
  • Fantastic Structures: A Coloring Book of Amazing Buildings Real and Imagined
Chetan Bhagat writes op-ed columns for English and Hindi newspapers, including Times of India and Dainik Bhaskar, focusing on youth and issues based on national development. Bhagat is also a motivational speaker and has given talks in leading MNCs and other institutions. He quit his international investment banking career in 2009, to devote his entire time to writing.

In 2008, The New Y
“You only need the light when it is burning low Only miss the sun when it starts to snow.   How” 11 likes
“If it is too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true.” 7 likes