Start by marking “Understanding Color: An Introduction for Designers” as Want to Read:
Understanding Color: An Introduction for Designers

Understanding Color: An Introduction for Designers

THE PERCEPTION, UNDERSTANDING, AND USES OF COLOR--EXPANDED AND REFRESHED

Understanding Color is an essential resource for those needing to become proficient in color for business applications. The peerless treatment of this critical subject is beautifully illustrated with real-world examples. Designers have turned to this guide for nearly a generation for its authoritative
Published January 30th 2017 by Wiley (first published October 20th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Understanding Color, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding Color

Jordan
Nov 11, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Artists/Designers
Recommended to Jordan by: Previously used by other faculty
Shelves: education-books
This is the text for my Color Theory class, it is a good introduction to the basic information of additive and subtractive color mixing. Covers more than just the fundamentals by discussing business, science, physiology and vocabulary. Her writing style can be a bit redundant and often over explains concepts which can become confusing for my students. Overall, I like it as a beginning text that can reach the variety of majors I teach: fashion, interior design, fine arts, art therapy, art educati ...more
sage
This was a really weird mix of massively useful information and over-the-top pedantry. The prose is basically terrible, with most paragraphs comprised of stacks upon stacks of simple sentences written in an identical brain-lulling rhythm. The content bounced right off when it didn't put me to sleep, but then she would randomly slip into a conversational mode for a few lines and everything became fascinating again. (It should not have taken me so long to finish this.)
Danielle
The book was great and informative in a lot of ways. But don't call it a book "for designers" unless you're going to use the professional color methods used in commercial printing = Cyan Magenta Yellow Black. I couldn't use this book to teach color theory to my design classes because of this incorrect use of designers' vocabulary and industry standards.
Em
Nov 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
I found it interesting, but I probably would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't been reading it on a Kindle without colours! Just something to keep in mind if you're looking to read this on an e-reader -- you won't be able to see any of the examples.
Glenn Davis
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an easy read, well organized, but is now(2015) a little out of date. I have reviewed newer editions and the author seems to have gone off the deep end trying to make it more complete. Love this book.
Story of Choice
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable and thorough introduction to color for any application: clearly written, illustrated, and designed for maximum readability and focus on content. The author's voice is both professional and conversational.
Habibie yukezain
Sep 30, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
my inspiration color, coba aja kali2 klian gitu jg
Habibie yukezain
buat klian yang ksuliatan ama coloring, beli deh
Tysseer Harak
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ظريف وبسيط ومناسب للي زيي ملوش في الألوان ولا يعرف حاجة عنها :)
Rose