Start by marking “It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It” as Want to Read:
It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It

It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,287 ratings  ·  84 reviews
When Craig Groeschel founded LifeChurch.tv, the congregation met in a borrowed two-car garage, with ratty furnishings and faulty audiovisual equipment. But people were drawn there, sensing a powerful, life-changing force Groeschel calls “It.” What is It, and how can you and your ministry get—and keep—It? Combining in-your-face honesty with off-the-wall humor, this book tel ...more
Published July 23rd 2008 by Zondervan (first published July 18th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It
H.L. Hussmann
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I originally rated this as two stars and put it down after the first couple chapters. I just couldn't get past the frat-boy, fart joke, rah rah stuff that so many reviewers have posted about. That's fine when I'm golfing with my buddies, but it was difficult when trying to study about church development. I'd love to be friends with the author, I just couldn't focus on reading.

However, after reading several more reviews (this was my first experience with Groeschel and I wanted to know what all th
Pete Potloff
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I think it has some good and challenging questions for young and old pastors and leaders to consider.
Phil Whittall
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Craig Groeschel is the pastor of LifeChurch.tv (yes that is it's name) that has thousands of people in multiple places and has made a name for itself with its use of technology and live streaming of worship and preaches to its multiple campuses. His latest book is one on leadership, It: How Churches and Leaders can get IT and keep IT published by Zondervan.

This book irritated and inspired me in almost equal measure. Groeschel is funny and communicates well and he's on to something. Some churches
Jonathan McIntosh
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
A short & readable but immensely helpful book for church leaders on grabbing hold of that indefinable something that make thriving ministries tick.

The chapters on vision, focus, camaraderie, and risk are worth the price of the book. It wasn't until the last two chapters, however, that IT distinguishes itself from the vast number of church leadership books.

IT is more than just about learning techniques to get your church to grow... IT is about getting God.

In the chapter on losing your first love
Hannah
Aug 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
Groeschel is a very entertaining writer, and I honour him for that. The book was very enjoyable, and the reflection questions at the end of each chapter were very appropriate, a bonus as books of this genre often make the mistake of including review questions that lead us to conclude we aren't good enough (for anything) and we NEED their book to better ourselves. Groeschel was pleasantly humble and open about his opinions and experiences.
Karen Rabbitt
Nov 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Karen by: FTC: CMP.LY Disclosure 2
What kind of church we lead does not matter. What matters is if we have "it." Groeschel examines "it" from several different perspectives. The simplest way to think of "it" seems to be..."Have we maintained our 'first love' for Jesus?"

Featuring several case studies of denominationally diverse congregations.
Chris Huff
I wanted to like this book, but I'm really not sure how I feel about it.

There were several things about this book that I liked. The author encouraged important things such as prayer, believing God's promises, and taking a step of faith. But as much as he gave good advice in some places, he gave contradicting and confusing advice in other places. Although he fully admitted from the very beginning that "it" was not something that we could manufacture on our own, he seemingly went on to explain exa
Dave Rench
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very much a rendition of James MacDonald's Downpour. For some reason, Craig doesn't see "it" as being filled with the Holy Spirit. As Macdonald says, "one Spirit indwelling, many Spirit fillings."
That being said, it was all really good. More written for the church leader, which was a good perspective, as we in church leadership can assume we're close to God, because we're doing the work of God. In reality, though, we're more enamored with the bride of christ, than with christ himself.
Very good b
Logan Streondj
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting glimpse into the mindset of a mega church leader. There are some surprising things in there. I must admit that some things like the promotion of ruin and emotional instability being touted as beneficial are quite shocking, though I can see how that may be appealing to a following strongly swayed by pathos.
Josh
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was challenged and inspired by this book. It forced me to do an honest self evaluation.

I enjoyed this book because it wasn't formulaic in its approach. It identified a prevalent issue in many churches and Pastors but it made the reader look inward for the answer to the problem. Not an easy read but definitely a challenging areas.
Evan Hoekzema
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I found this book helpful from Groeschel. Rather than a church book focused on systems and growth, he writes primarily about 2 things: passion and focus. Passion for the lost as well as “pruning the ministry vine”, almost reminds me of a more compelling Simple Church in that regard. Worth the read.
Zuzana Kollarova
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Top 5? Definitely the best book on christian leadership I've read so far. Beyond recommendation! It certainly won't let you sit still, you'll have to get up, get on your knees, then get up again and do something about yourself and your church.
Justin Boshoff
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book every leader should read at least once in their lives. Really practical guidelines. Needs more reflection with your team but I firmly believe if you practice these principles with your team success will follow.
Alexander Richmond
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for all Christian leaders involved in ministries, outreaches, missions and discipleship.
Jack Stanton
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Keep reading it. The end is so powerful!
Slade Hogan
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t think well of Groeschel and his methods before starting this book. It changed my mind. I’m very thankful for him and his ministry, and this is an inspiring book that leaders should read.
Jonathan Jordan
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Read

Good read, well written, solid points. I highly recommend this book. Makes me want to read more from Craig Groeschel
Noah
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
Basically a synopsis for every other Christian leadership book.
Tiffany Ingram
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really good insights for church as well as other people in leadership roles
Aaron Loy
Jul 11, 2016 rated it liked it
The first thing that jumped out at me (literally and figuratively) about this book was the use of the word "it". Not only is it overemphasized, but it is italicized EVERY TIME IT'S SHOWN IN THE BOOK. It may simply be an aesthetic complaint, but one that hinders the flow of the book. Secondly, was the use of Craig Groeschel's "inner monologue" that often cuts into the middle of his words/thoughts. When making points, he will make jokes, or go on slight tangents, putting himself into the writing t ...more
Lyndon
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, hardback
I have a love/hate relationship with these kinds of ministry books. First, I do enjoy the excitement and passion and enthusiasm for Christ and the Church that most of these resources exude. The authors are usually trying to urge us on to engage in ministry and outreach with holy abandon - glorifying God, maintaining a heart for the lost, serving others, etc. And invariably there will be some excellent principles to put into practice. So far so good.

On the other hand, most of these principles ar
Mike
Apr 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Jeff
Dec 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-book-list
I liked this book, especially the chapter on vision.

There are levels of buy-in.

1. The people believe in the vision enough to benefit from it.
2. The people believe in the vision enough to contribute comfortably.
3. The people believe in the vision enough to give their lives to it.

"The legendary Walt Disney died before Disney World in Florida was completed. On Opening Day, someone commented to Mike Vance, creative director of Walt Disney studios, "Isn't it too bad Walt Disney didn't live to se
Juan Flores Zuñiga
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I do like listening to Craig Groeschel. It just amazing what God has done through him when he departed from a christian tradition and get into the world of reimagining church and innovation. This book was particularly important to me after attending a lecture by Craig in a Willow Creek Summit in Chicago. It make wonder about the real stuff need to build a church that pleases God, not traditions o humankind. The question ponder is the following What is It?, and how can you and your ministry get—a ...more
Josh Trombley
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. At first there were a lot of cheese jokes and way to many brackets. This did not deter me, I continued on. I'm glad I did because there were a lot of nuggets amongst the cheese. Eventually, the brackets subsided and the cheese became a little more tasty, so to speak.

Craig really draws you in and challenges you with his stories. The best part is that it is not l about him and the amazing things he is doing. Craig shares his failures and short comings, gives credit to his team and
Sam
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, own, church
Very good book. He actually got to the meaning of "it," which was frustrating until he did so. Yet overall it was good for understanding church leadership and growth. This book would fall under that category. It was a good read and encouraging, yet I can't help but thinking that it might be best meant for young churches or church plants. Easy read. Liked the biographies, yet I didn't find them relevant because all the leader's profiles came from megachurches. Also, at one point Groeschel said th ...more
Crystal
Apr 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that I think anyone in church leadership should read. If you are on a church staff, a church council, a ministry team, or an active member of any congregation, this book should be added to your Must Read list. Craig Groeschel does an incredible job in this book of being brutally honest about what it takes to become a church that has it. It is never defined, but when reading the book, you know exactly what it is. It is something that no words can illustrate, describe, o ...more
Scott Wozniak
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
At the core of this book is a powerful idea--that there is a hard-to-quantify element that makes or breaks a successful ministry, that having "it" outweighs all the easily seen factors. I almost gave this book five stars for the skillful way he highlights this overlooked factor. But I took a star away for how it seems in the middle of the book he seems to just be listing a bunch of general leadership advice. By the end, though, he returns to the core idea with clarity.

Oh, and I have seen this sh
Ruth Baker
Apr 11, 2011 rated it liked it
If you can get past the American "ra-ra-ra" (of which there is much) this book has some really good insights and some really challenging ideas about how we operate. More for church leaders and pastors obviously but really interesting as a church member and how we contribute (or don't contribute) to our church and reach the people that need to be reached.
Well worth reading and can be chewed through in about 2 decent sittings.
Jason Grubbs
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
The "It" factor Groeschel talks about is God's visible blessing on a church. If you are a church leader, you will benefit from reading this book, even though you probably will disagree with the writer from time to time, as I did. Still, he makes me think through what I believe. His chapter on getting God's vision and hammering on it is very good. I also thought the chapter on camaraderie among leaders was super. Well worth your time.
« previous 1 3 next »

• In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day: How to Survive and Thrive When Opportunity Roars
  • The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
  • Jesus Is: Find a New Way to Be Human
  • Leading on Empty: Refilling Your Tank and Renewing Your Passion
  • Emotionally Healthy Spirituality: Unleash a Revolution in Your Life In Christ
  • The Barbarian Way: Unleash the Untamed Faith Within
  • Simple Church: Returning to God's Process for Making Disciples
  • The 360 Degree Leader: Developing Your Influence from Anywhere in the Organization
  • Stuff Christians Like
  • The Cost of Discipleship
Craig Groeschel is the founding and senior pastor of Life.Church, a multisite church with attenders at locations around the United States and globally at Life.Church Online.

Craig and Amy started Life.Church in a two-car garage in Edmond, Oklahoma in January 1996. While Life.Church has grown over the years, its mission remains the same: to lead people to become fully devoted followers of Christ.

News & Interviews

“May God bless you with discomfort at easy answers, half truths, and superficial relationships, so that you may live deep within your heart.

May God bless you with anger at injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people, so that you may work for justice, freedom and peace.

May God bless you with tears to shed for those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation, and war, so that you may reach out your hand to comfort them and to turn their pain in to joy.

And may God bless you with enough foolishness to believe that you can make a difference in this world, so that you can do what others claim cannot be done. To bring justice and kindness to all our children and the poor.

Amen.”