Start by marking “Dynamic Figure Drawing” as Want to Read:
Dynamic Figure Drawing

Dynamic Figure Drawing

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  3,915 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
This powerful book offers a systematic approach to rendering action figures that seem to leap off the page.

Published August 1st 1996 by Watson-Guptill (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Dynamic Figure Drawing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dynamic Figure Drawing

Si Barron
Nov 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Burne Hogarth was the artist for the early Tarzan comics- his style is brilliant but rather mannered and at times odd looking with stylised poses and over-sized feet (to my eyes). There is a lot to get out of this book however it is a perseverance test to get at it and you will be best advised to work at it yourself and spare yourself the trouble of trying to get through his TERRIBLE prose. He really suffers for not having an editor who could stand up to him I guess- the prose is quasi-accademic ...more
Anne Marie
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm not saying this technique will work for you, especially if you aren't already decent at sketching people, but if you have a good eye and need to improve your grasp of underlying shapes and how to make them look fluid this may be the book for you. While the poses are often comic-book extreme and the musculature too that doesn't bother me for two reasons 1) I found this book in a comic book store AND flipped through it before buying so it was expected and 2) the exaggeration compared to averag ...more
Jasmine
Jun 27, 2008 rated it did not like it
Hogarth's figures look a little too much like spaghetti people for my taste. I recommend Loomis if you are looking for a good book on figure drawing.
Void lon iXaarii
Aug 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
So much to learn from Burne Hogarth! One of the most analytic minds I've ever encountered in art. I love how he's always trying to think of new approaches to view the human figures, from volumes to inside lines and trying to find rules and coincidences to increase the number of points of view. All his illustrations are also the best I know for studying and learning, very clear and a great reference. One of the best books on human anatomy!

The only thing that got me confused was that I believe he
Erik Amill
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-tos
I dig this book. It's Not an intro book but a definite must-read for those looking to better understand and strengthen their art skills. If you give it a chance, this will help you to better understand some of the fundamentals of drawing a body in perspective (i.e. - One of the hardest things for some artists to wrap their heads around). I still turn to this guide when I need a refresher in drawing arms or legs in space.
Arnaud
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: drawing
An amazing reference for pencil drawing on the topic of dynamic figures. Very detailed on anatomy, finding different approaches and perspectives on drawing human body (parts or whole, doesn't matter).

However, it is definitely an advance techniques drawing guide. I have struggled on some of the author's approaches. I am however not a professional artist, nor an art student. Just a plain engineer without any background in art :-)
Serge Pierro
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
Great dynamic art by Hogarth. A must read for comic book artists - and in particular, fans of Gil Kane.
J.G. Keely
Jun 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, non-fiction, reviewed
Why do I get the impression that learning more about art will only enable me to understand that Burne Hogarth is still better than me?
Cecely
Jul 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! Gotta love Hogarth :) He's concise and his instruction is wonderful. Highly recommend!
Robert Roy
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book! Wish I had found it 20 years ago.
Mary-Beth
Jul 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, art
Reading and sketching from this book has been a wonderful experience for me. It's one of those experiences where you feel like a moron at the same time as you're learning things, because it all seems so common-sensical, but then you never actually thought of it that way, did you?

The one complaint I have is that some of the descriptions of how to draw and why you are drawing things in a certain way are full of quite complex language, probably too complex for a younger audience. Then again, the dr
Laurens Schaad
Jan 31, 2011 added it
Shelves: drawing
“Dynamic Figure Drawing by Brune Hogarth is an excellent book for an artist who knows what they are talking about. Not for beginners this book explains in an older geometric style of mapping out the human body. It features a large amount of drawings so you aren’t short on examples or poses plus they all include great descriptions. Hogarth uses his language to describe his process to someone who can understand him and think like him. Simply browsing through this book would advance a draftsman's u ...more
Thomas Cardin
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is my goto book for anatomy. There are better books for learning to draw the human figure, but this is the best for learning to draw the muscles and form of anatomy. It's a must for comic book artists as well, IMHO.

This in combination with How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way does the trick.

I am also a lover of Burne Hogarth's style, its creapy as hell.
Shah, Shafi
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think this book might be really interesting and would help me increase my drawing skills better. based on the rating on the book i think its in the middle 5/10. I would like to read it and see whats it mostly drawn about and whats its about the most. Also it looks cool based on the over but can't judge a book form its cover. according to everything in this page im really interested in reading this book. Where can I find it?
James
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Advanced Artists and Illustrators
Shelves: art, non-fiction, diy
While it's currently to advanced for me, when my anatomy improves I will probably buy a reference copy. While there are manga equivalents of this book, this is a non-cartoon approach so the characters shown are much more realistic.
Dan Henk
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nice, essential book for any kind of storybook illustration. I went to art school, and none of this is covered. Burne's method might not be the only method, and plenty of people point out it's limitations, but it helps you understand the flow and foreshortening of muscles in motion.
Ashley
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
This book had several good tips that gave me the confidence to draw more varied and active figures. It's not the easiest to read at times but you can generally get the gist of what he's saying from his illustrations. Recommended if you feel like your drawings have gotten stagnant.
Stacia Leigh
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: how-to, drawing
I've checked this out twice from the library and finally bought it for my shelf. Great action shots!
Michael
Nov 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Pretty good!
Pablo Quinones
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
I'm a big fan of this book. It's one of the essentials for brushing up on the basics of figure drawing.
Felice
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite anatomy book. I got so much out of it.
Crichardson
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great for reference.
Maryxxvv
Interisting book & I really want to read it
Michael Rowley
Nov 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography-art
The pictures are amazing, the writing a awefull.
Hadji VanderVeer
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Helped me in immensely in my art career. Burne taught me the how in relation to the why in relation the human figure in action and space
Allan Bush
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Stole this book from my High School Library. I loved it so much. Taught me a lot about human figure drawing. Shading and natural human anatomy. Had it since 1984
Kylos
Jul 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: get a pencil and deface some paper
most of highschool was spent sitting up late drawing from this book.
Greg Tatum
Nov 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: art-books
Meh.
Randy
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very helpful... The drawings couldn't be any better, the concepts are clear but the writing is fairly weak. Still a great reference book.
Tracie
Jan 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great figure drawing book.
  • Successful Drawing
  • Perspective! for Comic Book Artists: How to Achieve a Professional Look in your Artwork
  • Figure Drawing Without a Model
  • Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators
  • The Human Figure in Motion
  • Vanishing Point: Perspective for Comics from the Ground Up
  • Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing From Life: Over 1,000 Illustrations
  • The Animator's Survival Kit: A Manual of Methods, Principles, and Formulas for Classical, Computer, Games, Stop Motion and Internet Animators
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Facial Expression
  • Drawing and Painting Fantasy Landscapes and Cityscapes
  • The DC Comics Guide to Digitally Drawing Comics
  • Imaginative Realism: How to Paint What Doesn't Exist
  • The Art of Animal Drawing: Construction, Action Analysis, Caricature
  • Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes: Volume 1: The Walt Stanchfield Lectures
Burne Hogarth started young. Born in 1911, he was enrolled in the Chicago Art Institute at the age of 12 and an assistant cartoonist at Associated Editors' Syndicate at 15. At the age of 26, he was chosen from a pool of a dozen applicants as Hal Foster's successor on the United Features Syndicate strip, "Tarzan". His first strip, very much in Foster's style, appeared May 9, 1937. It wasn't long be ...more
More about Burne Hogarth