Start by marking “Empty Net (Scoring Chances, #4)” as Want to Read:
Empty Net (Scoring Chances, #4)

Empty Net

(Scoring Chances #4)

Spartanburg Spitfires’ goalie and captain Isaac Drake ended last season with an unexpected trip to the playoffs. He’s found a home and family with his coach and mentor, Misha Samarin, and he’s looking forward to making a serious run for the Kelly Cup. But things take an interesting turn when Isaac’s archnemesis, Laurent St. Savoy, is traded to the Spitfires. After Laurent’ ...more
Published September 2nd 2016 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Empty Net, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Empty Net

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Warning: Review includes gratuitous gifs of hockey players.

Because. HOCKEY PLAYERS.

"Did that just happen?" Isaac asked as they headed upstairs. "Your landlady ... she's like eightysomething. And unless I'm wrong, she dressed up in her husband's suits and pretended to be a boy so they could have bi threesomes in a booth at whatever a boy's club is."

"Sounds like it," Laurent agreed.

"You don't even seem surprised," Isaac said . . . .

Laurent shrugged. "No one's all that normal, no matter what the
Gigi
The Scoring Chances series just keeps getting better and better for me! This one is now my favorite. It is SO MUCH MORE than a hockey book.

Isaac and Laurent are fascinating, extremely complex, well fleshed out characters. Their problems and issues are real, especially for Laurent who was abused by his father as a child and into adulthood. His scars are as deep as they can get and Isaac is his trusty sidekick while battling his demons.

But, guess what? Unlike most romances that deal with emotional
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*4.5 stars*

Avon Gale is on FIRE with this series, and each book wins me over more and more! If you are craving a hurt/comfort, angsty story with a hockey players and a virgin MC, look no further!

Empty Net was waaaaaaaay darker than I was anticipating, but that's okay. I was sort of expecting an enemies-to-lovers story about a closeted, jerky MC, but what I got was much... more. Warning: This book contains references to physical and emotional abuse, eating disorders, and a whole lot of pain and
Parvathy
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay-book-reviews

5 Stars!

Empty Net is a beautiful love story set in the backdrop of hockey with two young men who find their way to each other and find their happily ever after.

I loved this book. In fact I loved everything about this story. This book had two characters who made me fall in love with them more and more as the story progressed. Isaac and Laurent have a beautiful connection which is explored as their story moves forward. What is refreshing what the author has penned these two characters with a lot
Jewel
Empty Net is the fourth book in Avon Gale's Scoring Chances series, and it is the best one yet. Truly, this series just keeps getting better and better. Empty Net is about facing your fears and finding your freedom. It's about taking control, even though it terrifies you, and figuring out that you do deserve better than you were given. And it's about figuring out that you don't have to do it all alone.

Isaac Drake is the spirited, blue haired goalie for the Spartanburg Spitfires and we met him i
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
Second re-read: 09.12.2018
I couldn't help myself. I mean, I remember everything that happens in the book, but I couldn't find anything else to read that seems interesting. It's still so sad how much a father's abuse can destroy a life, and make something pleasurable into a punishment. It is heartbreaking really. I adore how Isaac loves Saint though. It's a beautiful healing relationship.

⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Blue-haired warrior angel*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

Re-read: 22.02.2018
This book is so cute, fast forward and quite
☆ Todd
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Wow, that was a bit of an epic journey of transformation and personal growth.

As this story began, Laurent was like a scared animal, trapped in a cage of his father's making, always ready to snarl, claw or bite at anyone who got within reach.

But as it's been said, sometimes a person has to hit rock bottom before they can begin to build themselves back up again and heal. Which is exactly what happened, when Laurent finally lost it and was offered a hand from the one person he'd least expected it.
Heidi Cullinan
Gale covers some serious subjects in this book, and we go deep in the feels. We begin with a character as close to the edge of unredeemable as I think you can get in a romance, not from actions as much as inaccessibility. But Gale has mad skills, and the crumbs are there to lead you in, to tease you into caring for Laurent despite his urging you not to. And if you can't quite get there, don't worry. Issac will take you the rest of the way.

I don't know when the last time was I watched such a gran
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
review removed from GR

description

An ARC was provided in exchange for an honest review.
Wendy
 photo tumblr_n0k35wvrky1suwf50o1_500_zpszhsjkk8m.gif

I absolutely loved this 4th book in the series and they seem to get better and better with each book.....so I hope that there will be many more to follow.

I was very curious about this one, because it's about Laurent and Isaac, and while I loved Isaac right from the start in book 3....I hated Laurent's guts.

Isaac is a goalie for the Spitfires. He is a blue haired, sweet, funny and sarcastic guy. He's the team-captain, has a lot of friends and is also very out and proud.
Laurent is the goalie fro
Shile
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing

'Hey, Saint.'
That nickname. He loved it, and he wasn't sure he could ever express to Isaac just how much.

5++++++++ for the Audiobook

5++++++++ for the Story

This series has become one of my favourite series.

Loved the ‘Enemies to lovers’ theme, it was so well done, and I enjoyed the journey.
Laurent what a complex character. It might be difficult to warm upto him but I did, he was vulnerable, broken and misunderstood. A guy who had never experienced love or kindness and never knew how to give love
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Truth : I've ugly cried too much to give Laurent and Isaac's story anything less than 5 stars.
Don't be too worried, though.
I do know how to smile through my tears.

TW - abuse, ED, homoantagonism
Dani
*5 stars*

Wow, this was extremely good! Gale nailed it again. NAILED IT.

I was taken aback by this book. I was expecting some enemies-to-lovers story were one of the MC was an asshole deeply hidden in the closet but NO, it wasn’t like that at all. It took a twisted way darker than I’d have imagined. I didn’t know that Gale was going to cover so difficult subjects as emotional and physical abuse, eating disorders or lots of self-loathing and suffering.

(I just noticed that the blurb says that stuf
Fabi
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Do any of us ever bother to look beneath the surface of an antagonistic opponent?

Do we stop to wonder why the motorist cut us off? Why the business suit walking in front of us couldn't hold the door instead of letting it slam in our face? Why the cashier had to slam our purchases around?

Avon Gale opens our eyes and our hearts with two characters who are broken. In an amazing display of maturity and empathy, one holds out a hand to the other and an entirely hidden, difficult truth unravels.

I don'
Ele

This is my attempt to write a proper review, although I doubt I'll succeed. This book stole my ability to express myself coherently, and my thoughts and feelings are still all over the place. Avon Gale...you are a godess, and my heart belongs to you now.
"I just don't want you to go anywhere."

"I'm not. I'm all yours. Caught in your net."

The characters...

This book gives the "enemies-to-lovers" trope a whole new meaning. Remember what Laurent did to Isaac in Power Play? He spit on him and cal
Annie ~ Queer Books Unbound
Reviewed on From Top to Bottom Reviews.

*I was a beta reader for this book so my review is not completely unbiased*

If you're looking for a coherent and eloquent review you probably won't find this here because when it comes to this book and the characters I fall into fangirl mode so fast. And I just can't stop myself.
I absolutely LOVE this book and Isaac Drake is my patronus. Because this book. OMG this book!
I've read it four times already (it's not even out yet! lol) and I know there's many more
Kaje Harper
This series stays excellent from book to book. The hockey content is real and important, but beautifully balanced with the human emotional and relationship content. This book is a little darker, as it deals with Laurent St. Savoy, a goalie traded to the Spitfires as a punishment by his abusive coach-father, whose team lost the playoffs with Laurent in goal. Neither one realizes just how much getting out from under his father's day-to-day control will change Laurent's life for the better. As the ...more
BWT (Belen)
4.5 Stars

Well, Avon Gale, you had me a little worried in the beginning. Not going to lie...Laurent was a hard pill to swallow at first. You're right when you say the kid's got more issues than The Hockey News.
Laurent smiled. “I still don’t understand why you’re bothering with me,” he said, honestly. “I can’t be that hot that I’m worth all this effort. I’m a jerk, I don’t know if I’m attracted to you, and I have literally no idea how to behave around other people.”
“Well, first of all you are th
Chris
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love this series and I loved this book ! Isaac Drake was something else ❤ he was able to see through Laurent's gruff and obnoxious exterior and find the vulnerable and terribly abused boy. Isaac gave Laurent a chance and learned the ways to make him stop his negativity and critical self talk. This relationship was built on trust early on and it continued to grow into something beautiful. Misha & Max were awesome as the supportive cast and it was great being back with the team. I read this ...more
Simone
5-well-deserved-stars

Damn, by now I should know better than to buy eyeliner that is not waterproof, with all the books that made me tear up lately... And this book managed to choke me up quite a lot.

No, Laurent is definitely not okay...

This was not always an easy read because this book is about some quite evocative issues like systematic abuse and eating disorder, but I simply loved the way Avon Gale dealt with it. The whole book felt real. There is no sugarcoating and no “magical healing” at
Ami

Another book that I loved -- but I don't exactly have the words to explain on the why's. So you all just have to settle with other people's opinion instead.

The most important things that you need to know -- I loved Isaac Drake so much. I wanted to hug Laurent "Saint" Savoy almost throughout the book.

I loved the progress of their romance and relationship because there was a process from enemies to lovers that was BELIEVABLE for me.

I thought how Isaac dealt with Saint, the part where
Jilrene ♥
I'm writing a review for Gay.Guy.Reading and Friends. I'll add a link when it's available.

5.0 glove saves ☺ ♥♥♥♥♥ and all the kudos

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
BWT (Belen)

I think this may be my favorite of Scott R. Smith's performances for the Scoring Chances series. I loved how he portrayed the tone of the story with its more emotional nuances, the passion and the humor, and how he showcased the different character voices.

Scott's narration continues to get better with each story.

Smith captures Laurent's inner turmoil so well in his tone and pacing, and does such a wonderful job bring Isaac to life. I wanted to hug this audio.

The hurt/comfort here is so good. I l
Trio
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Isaac might have just taken the number 1 spot as my favorite character in this series - damn, he's adorable.

This one constantly cracked me up with the banter between Isaac and Laurent - I grew up with 5 brothers and the way the author does the dialogue is just perfect. The relationships in this series are so well done. (view spoiler)
Christelle
This is a nice sports romance with a friends-to-lovers trope, scrapping the issue of abuse and eating disorder.

4th book of the scoring chances series. It can be read as a standalone, but a lot of the MCs from previous books are there and there’s some continuance around the team.
Isaac, the unorthodox goalie of a hockey team, has a new teammate, Laurent, the one player he despises the most and for good reasons. But, as a captain of the team, Isaac won’t tolerate any bullying, even if it’s focused
River
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, 5-stars
4.5 stars because Scoring Chances just keeps getting better and better.

I started this series with the first book. I liked it just fine but I didn't loved it. Thinking about that first book and now this one makes me smile because Avon Gale has improved so much.

I'm not saying she was bad but for me personally this series was a gradual thing. I like the first one, I like the second more, I loved the third and this one? This is the best one yet.

Drake and Saint were great characters, I wanted to p
Claude
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ohhh i really love this book! Misha <3 <3 <3
Isaac was so strong, so mature, so stable in this book. I was like "you grew up so fast". He maintain not only his lover, bu this entourage to the ground. SOLID is the word to describe him in this book.
Laurent ? Unlikeable in the beginning but when you learned about him, you can't longer hate him. See him free himself from one the most evil person i've ever met was good to my heart haha.
It's about two young men who fell for one another and i
Tess
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it

Loved the relationship development from enemies to friends to lovers. This was a fun and sweet read even though it dealt with some pretty serious abuse issues.
Chris, the Dalek King
I am nothing like my father.

Laurent St. Savoy hates his father. He’d also do just about anything for a few moments of his approval. Which is why, during last year’s season, he spat on Isaac Drake–the out, loud, and proud goalie for the Spartanburg Spitfires. And he got what he wanted. A whole minute of his father’s approval. But the cost was more than even he could predict. Especially when he finds himself traded to the Spitfires, and having to spend nearly every day in the presence of “teamma
  • Home and Away
  • Winging It
  • Out in the Field
  • Playing to Win (Glasgow Lads, #2)
  • Tigerland (Tigers and Devils, #2)
  • The Unforgiving Minute
  • Reading the Signs
  • First Season (Harrisburg Railers, #2)
  • Point Shot Trilogy Boxed Set
  • Horizons (Horizons, #1)
  • Punch-Drunk Love
  • Breathing Snow
  • Straight Shooter (Rear Entrance Video, #3)
  • False Start (Eastshore Tigers, #2)
  • Lonely Hearts (Love Lessons, #3)
  • The Last Day Of Summer
  • Pansies (Spires Universe)
  • Heels Over Head
Avon Gale was once the mayor on Foursquare of Jazzercise and Lollicup, which should tell you all you need to know about her as a person. She likes road trips, rock concerts, drinking Kentucky bourbon and yelling at hockey. She’s a displaced southerner living in a liberal midwestern college town, and she never gets tired of people and their stories -- either real or the ones she makes up in her hea ...more

Scoring Chances (5 books)
  • Breakaway (Scoring Chances, #1)
  • Save of the Game (Scoring Chances, #2)
  • Power Play (Scoring Chances, #3)
  • Coach's Challenge (Scoring Chances, #5)
“For the first time in his whole life, Laurent played the game out of love instead of hate. But it wasn’t his love of hockey that kept him focused in net.
Every time a puck came toward him and he made a save, he thought, “This is for Isaac.” Every time one of his dickhead former teammates snarled something insulting or called him names, he ignored them and thought about Isaac calling him Saint. He thought about Isaac’s dumb blue hair dye that had left a stain in Laurent’s shower and that lip ring that drove Laurent crazy. He thought about the lake and eating a Twinkie on Isaac’s floor. He thought about Isaac saying he loved him.”
4 likes
“I’m so proud of you. I wanted to blow you, like, eighteen times.”
“I made thirty-four saves. Weren’t you paying attention?”
Isaac threw his head back and laughed. “Oh my God. You made a joke.”
“Who said I was joking?”