Start by marking “Economics in One Lesson: The Shortest & Surest Way to Understand Basic Economics” as Want to Read:

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  11,715 Ratings  ·  955 Reviews
A million copy seller, Henry Hazlitt’s Economics in One Lesson is a classic economic primer. But it is also much more, having become a fundamental influence on modern “libertarian” economics of the type espoused by Ron Paul and others.

Considered among the leading economic thinkers of the “Austrian School,” which includes Carl Menger, Ludwig von Mises, Friedrich (F.A.) Haye
Published 1979 by Three Rivers Press (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Economics in One Lesson, please sign up.
N.N. The big one would be The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money by John Maynard Keynes, also see The Economic Consequences of Peace. There…moreThe big one would be The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money by John Maynard Keynes, also see The Economic Consequences of Peace. There are some post Hazlitt books that applicable as well, such as Capital by Thomas Piketty (not Karl Marx). Seven Bad Ideas by Jeff Madick at times is appilicable but I hesitate to suggest that one because a large portion of the book is not criticizing or critiquing the some of the ideas but rather blatantly misrepresenting them and the economists (one in particular) who support them as well.

Also there is a further reading suggestion guide at the very ended, or atleast I assume their should be if your copy was printed post 1980's.(less)
Eric He is debating the argument that increasing the money supply to accommodate an increase in wages would increase the general price level less than the…moreHe is debating the argument that increasing the money supply to accommodate an increase in wages would increase the general price level less than the wage increase, effectively making workers wealthier.

Because raising wages arbitrarily without an increase in money supply adds to the real cost of inputs, it is necessary for a company to increase prices to cover this added overhead. If they can't increase prices without losing sales, then they have to reduce overhead, usually labor.

Some would argue, at least back then, I don't know if anyone still believes this today, to for example increase the money supply by 5% and mandate a 5% increase in labor wages. This way while the nominal cost of labor goes up, the real cost does not, and they would say that a 5% increase in the money supply would not increase the general price level the same amount. This is an important distinction because if you get a 5% raise, but the price of everything you buy goes up 5%, you didn't get a raise. You are back where you were before. This is what purchasing power means when he refers to that. If you get a 5% raise and prices go up 10%, then you lost purchasing power. If you took a 5% pay cut, but prices go down 10%, then you got a raise in purchasing power.

His comment about the national income was just using government numbers to come up with an estimate of the cost of the labor part of production. Wages made up 69% of the cost of production (GNP, or national income, was the total economic output of the United States).

I'll use some basic round numbers to try to illustrate his point. Let's say GNP was $1,000,000. If wages were 2/3 of the cost of production, that would make wages $670,000 and everything else $330,000.

If we want a 30% increase in wages, changing nothing else, that takes wages up to $871,000, making the new GNP $1,201,000. Nothing else has changed, so a 30% increase in wages increased prices by roughly 20%. That appears good for the people making the prior argument, but it doesn't see all of the consequences.

The people that aren't labor have lost purchasing power. Prices have gone up 20%; their income did not increase at all. Investors would change where they were putting their money. You will have other people that just got hit with a 20% pay cut try to find jobs in labor, flooding that labor supply, bringing down wages. Self employed people closing down their own companies creates unemployment and costs society the service or good they provided.

So while labor may or may not end up with a small net benefit, everyone suffers from the lack of productivity caused by the adjustment period, society is not better off in the long run.

Incidentally, it's also a perfect illustration of how increasing the money supply works. In this case, labor was enriched 30% by increasing the money supply, where non labor lost purchasing power. It essentially stole money from non labor to give it to labor.(less)

Whitaker
Aug 10, 2011 rated it did not like it
Since I have been told (see Post #3) that I have insufficiently supported my point in the original review below, I thought I should expand on it. I have therefore added on Post #4 in full to this review.

Original Review

I read the free copy made available here. Well, actually I read the first three chapters and scanned through the rest to see if it was more or less based on the same type of argumentation and reasoning. It was.

Can't people tell that this is just rhetoric and argument? There are a
Stephen
Economics20in20One20Leson-1-1v2

5.0 STARS ALL THE WAY for this TERRIFIC book that I consider ESSENTIAL READING for anyone interested in understanding the "free market" theory that government intervention in the markets, no matter how well meaning the intent, almost always leads to negative consequences down the road.

Hazlitt, a prolific author and champion of "free markets" begins the book with the following lesson of Economics:
The art of economics consists of looking not merely at the immediate but at the longer effects o
Riku Sayuj
Sep 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: economics, pop-eco, r-r-rs

This is a true ‘Economics for Dummies’ book. It can be useful in case you want something handy to bang over an economic nit-wit's head on short notice. Only such a dummy would be unable to puncture your simplistic arguments or need them in the first place.

Beyond that, it is hard to envisage much use for this volume, whether for serious discussion or for serious reflection. So if the initial bang was not good enough and if you pack no other arsenal, you might as well get out of there, and fast.
Toe
Jun 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Abbreviated Review: stop reading my review and go read “Economics in One Lesson” right now.

Full Review: In the first half of 2009, I visited several law schools before making my selection. While at Northwestern, I spoke at length with a professor who had recently worked on a paper supporting a national consumption tax. Encouraged by the fact that our positions on the desirability of a sales tax over an income tax aligned, I pushed him to explain his solution for getting out of the current financ
Matthew
Nov 24, 2009 rated it did not like it
If you want to read about Austrian economics and hear about how Keynesian economists are out there in the night, conspiring to tax you and build useless bridges for giggles, then read this book. If you know anything about economics and think about what you're reading, you'll see an agenda. Many generalizations and exaggerations are made to portray advocates of Keynesian economics as moronic and simple-minded.
Hazlitt doesn't say the government takes money from the rich and give to the poor; he sa
Marcus
Feb 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
For a book that was written so long ago, this book is amazingly relevant to today. It clearly explains how things like stimulus packages, government subsidies, nationalization, currency inflation etc., aren't, and can't be, magic solutions that fix the economy. It gives examples of times these types of things have been tried in the past and haven't worked and why they won't work today and will never work. If you are skeptical of the hundreds of billions of dollars being printed and shuffled arou ...more
Trevor
Oct 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: economics
The point of this book is to show that there are facts that economists have worked out over the years that are now all but laws that can be used to determine how we should structure our interactions so as to provide the best possible benefit to the greatest possible number. These laws ought to be followed to the letter as ANY mucking about with them can only lead to tears. Unfortunately, it has always been the case that politicians (and even some economists – particularly economists contaminated ...more
Amin
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: غیرادبی
احساسات ضد و نقیضی درباره این کتاب داشتم. به طور خلاصه در سه نکته که در ادامه این متن به شرح تفصیلی شان می پردازم، می توانم این تضاد ها را توضیح دهم

یک - بجای اینکه کتاب آموزش دانش اقتصاد در یک درس باشد، آن را آموزش به کارگیری یکی از درسهای تفکر سیستمی در مطالعه اقتصاد می دانم. آن درس هم، توجه به آثار مداخله بلندمدت در سیستم، فراتر از آثار اولیه و نتایج کوتاه مدت است. اما نویسنده همین رویکرد سیستمی را هم در تحلیل ها کنار می گذارد و نگاهی مکانیستی بر روابط اقتصادی دارد که انسانها را در نهایت به سط
Saeed
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
این کتاب برای خواندن نیست، برای مطالعه است

انگار در این کشور کسی نیست که این کتاب را خوانده باشد و این خیلی ناراحت کننده است که حتی روز عید هم بالاترین مقام این کشور برای سخنرانیش درباره ی مسائل اقتصادی حرف هایی می زند که دقیقاً مخالف استدلال های این کتاب است. این کتاب به تمام افراد پیشنهاد می کنم
Pezquenin
Nov 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
The book of fallacies

Mr Hazlitt's favourite word in the world is FALLACY. It appears countless times throughout the book. Only once or twice he uses equivalent terms, such as "delusion".

This is my (ironic) summary of the book:

- Chapter N
Theory A is a fallacy. People who support it only think about the benefits for one group, and only about the short-term consequences. They should think about the long-term consequences and its impact on all groups. Let me give you an example: example 1
- Chapter N
Bam
"The whole of economics can be reduced to a single lesson, and that lesson can be reduced to a single sentence. The art of economics consists in looking not merely at the immediate but at the longer effects of any act or policy; it consists in tracing the consequences of that policy not merely for one group but for all groups.

Nine-tenths of the economic fallacies that are working such dreadful harm in the world today are the result of ignoring this lesson."

Hazlitt covers a variety of topics incl
Paul
May 18, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: idiots
a triumph in the art of oversiplification
Andrej Karpathy
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
The main thesis of this book is that the economy is a complex dynamical system and government's efforts to tamper with a free market economy is a game of whac-a-mole where a variety of hard-to-see n-th order (n>1) negative consequences dominate the intended easy-to-see positive consequences, resulting in an overall net loss for everyone. This thesis is illustrated with the use of few dozen example settings per chapter that are seemingly different (e.g. tariffs, rent control, unions, minimum w ...more
Alan Mills
Jun 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
I could not finish this book. It is trite, misleading, and misstates history. Here are my notes:

Notes on Economics in One Lesson, by Henry Hazlitt (1946)

I'm with Hazlitt on the broken window fallacy: destruction of value needs to be added to the balance of new value created in replacing the destroyed.

But the next step is NOT a logical extension (p. 14): "But the more money is turned out in this way, the more the value of any given unit of money falls.“ Not true. Money has no value at all. It is
Alexander
„Die Kunst des Wirtschaftens besteht darin, nicht nur die unmittelbaren, sondern auch die langfristigen Auswirkungen jeder Maßnahme zu sehen; sie besteht ferner darin, die Folgen jedes Vorgehens nicht nur für eine, sondern für alle Gruppen zu bedenken.“ (S. 27)
Diese Prämissen wendet Hazlitt in 24 Fallbeispielen konsequent an und kommt so zu überraschenden Ergebnissen. Hazlitt gelingt es, volkswirtschafliche Zusammenhänge in einfacher Sprache unmittelbar einleuchtend zu erklären. Auch wenn der Te
Jon
Feb 10, 2016 rated it liked it
HERE! THE BOOK IS FREE! READ MORE! IT IS LITERALLY RIGHT BELOW THIS PARAGRAPH! Your lazy ass does not even have to walk the whole two blocks to the library, you can just roll over in your semen covered bed with gummy worms stuck to your back and pizza crumbs ingrained and meshed in your disgusting pubic-like chest hair and fumble with the mouse until you click on the link, and read a very short and simple explanation of economics in one easy lesson...This is probably the most important book writ ...more
Jeremy
Sep 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Economic novices
Recommended to Jeremy by: Kelsey
I can't even count the number of times already that topics discussed in this book have come up in everyday conversation. To me that is the major value of a book like this and an indication of its effectiveness. The "one lesson" is this: to truly understand economics (and make good economic policies) we must consider the short-term and long-term effects of a policy as well as how it affects all people immediately and in the future.

There has been a paradigm shift in my thinking. I have been confro
Mostafa
کتابی بیتکلف و مختصر در باب نقد اقتصاد دولتی و تفکرات رمانتیک و احساسی که گاها از سیاستمداران، یک قشر و جناح فکری خاص میشنویم.
هازلیت در این کتاب مباحث روزمره و ملموس اقتصاد در سطح خرد و کلان را در فصلهای جداگانه بیان میکند و با دلیل و منطق و نیز مستدل به رد مغالطهها و گفتههای کلیشهای و مرسوم در باب این مباحث میپردازد.
هازلیت این کتاب را نخستین بار در 1946 نگاشته است اما با بینشی ژرف و عمیق چنان تیغِ تیزِ نقد خود را بر تفکرات بیاساس و بیپایه میکشاند که گویی این کتاب به تازگی به چاپ رسیده است.
هازلی
Kellyn Roth
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was not just one lesson.
Jacob
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Reading Hazlitt's economic primer, I was reminded of the recent vice presidential debate, in particular Paul Ryan’s statement: “If you don't have a good record to run on, paint your opponent as someone people should run from.” Unfortunately, this book was plagued by a similar ailment. The author spends page after page decrying the evils and ineffectiveness of his opponents while spending far less time building evidence for his own theories. Even when Hazlitt tries to make an argument in favor of ...more
André Spiegel
This book is an excellent, concise introduction to one particular kind of economic thinking: the idea that an economy works best if left to free market forces alone, and that any kind of government intervention is bad and disturbs the economy, rather than improving it.

This is what I like about the book: I have never seen such a clear exposition of this line of thinking. And this is my greatest disappointment: That these ideas are presented as the only possible way to understand economics, the on
David Robins
Oct 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you only read one book on economics, read this one: read it and learn it. (But don't read just one book on economics.) It's astounding how so many fail to grasp the basic truths in this volume, or, more likely, ignore the evidence and rush ahead with their failed schemes of redistribution, inflation, etc. to provide short-term benefit to a favored few.

"Practically all government attempts to redistribute wealth and income tend to smother productive incentives and lead toward general impoverish
Michael
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to dislike this book because of its borderline-snobbish tone, but Hazlitt nailed it, and thankfully pointed out that there is no rule, no doctrine, no shortcut, no party, no faith that can point us to correct economic conclusions. We simply have to do the work to look at the evidence before understanding the consequences of any policy. As a plaque at NASA is rumored to say, "In God we trust. All others bring data."
Clinton
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Economics in One Lesson must be an absolute necessity for any Austrian School of Economics advocates. Hazlitt fiercely dissects and debunks the many economic fallacies created by government policy and special interest groups. Every single lesson is truly a testament to real economic prosperity rather than delusions spouted by politicians and media personnel.
All 25 Lessons have significant importance, but fundamentally, the preeminent lesson is inflation. Single-handedly, inflation can be blamed
Seth
Feb 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
The book uses simple examples of economics between individuals to understand the cost vs. benefit relationships surrounding economic decisions and policies. Examples and principles described are very easy to understand and are relevant to arguments made. Author is a Classic Economist and argues that economic growth is never optimal with government intervention. He shows how saving money is perhaps better to the growth of the economy than is consumption spending. He persuasively argues against Ke ...more
Mardin Uzeri
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book lives up to it's promise.

I can confidently claim that this book granted me the understanding of basic economic principles and equipped me with knowledge to recognize common fallacies.

The core lesson is straight forward. A coherent interpretive insight into a complicated economic decision can be made through keeping two principals in mind. The first being the consideration of how that decision affects the whole community at large, rather than a special group. Secondly, to always regard
Cami
Oct 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book smacks down Keynesian economics with good ol' Austrian economics.

Highlights (these are from memory so they may not be verbatim):

"Inflation is the opiate of the masses" (LOVE the shoutout to Marx!)

"Inflation is taxation of the most regressive kind."

"The art of economics is not just seeing the immediate but the long term effects of any act or policy. You must trace the consequences of that policy not only for one group but for every group."

I love the chapters on inflation, unions, free
Michael Seufert
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: porto, e-books
I read this a long time ago, but I keep coming back. Hazlitt makes a great approach to basic economic principles. You can find it for free online and you should give it a try if you are interested in an libertarian look at economics.
Gabriella Hoffman
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Finally got around to reading this. Though it's a bit dense, it was a good and necessary read. Every proponent of free enterprise should read this!
Douglas Wilson
May 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics
Excellent.
B.A Hons in Applied Economics 1 8 Jun 25, 2017 07:57AM
Is it true that employers will reinvest all profits in factories, etc.? 2 16 Feb 15, 2015 01:58PM
  • What Has Government Done to Our Money? and The Case for the 100 Percent Gold Dollar
  • Meltdown: A Free-Market Look at Why the Stock Market Collapsed, the Economy Tanked, and the Government Bailout Will Make Things Worse
  • Human Action: A Treatise on Economics
  • Principles of Economics
  • The Road to Serfdom
  • Basic Economics: A Citizen's Guide to the Economy
  • The Machinery of Freedom: Guide to a Radical Capitalism
Henry Hazlitt was a libertarian philosopher, an economist, and a journalist for various publications including The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times, and Newsweek. He was the founding vice-president of the Foundation for Economic Education and an early editor of The Freeman, an important libertarian magazine. In 1946 Hazlitt wrote Economics in One Lesson, his seminal text on free market e ...more

Nonfiction Deals

• Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving-Kindness
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Jesus > Religion: Why He Is So Much Better Than Trying Harder, Doing More, and Being Good Enough
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Forty Autumns: A Family's Story of Courage and Survival on Both Sides of the Berlin Wall
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Failing Forward: How to Make the Most of Your Mistakes
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Poor Your Soul: A Memoir
    $9.99 $1.99
“When Alexander the Great visited the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: ‘Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.’ It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.” 62 likes
“Practically all government attempts to redistribute wealth and income tend to smother productive incentives and lead toward general impoverishment. It is the proper sphere of government to create and enforce a framework of law that prohibits force and fraud. But it must refrain from specific economic interventions. Government's main economic function is to encourage and preserve a free market. When Alexander the Great visited the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: "Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun." It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.” 21 likes