Jump to ratings and reviews

Resolution: Huck Finn's Greatest Adventure

It is 1896 in the Yukon Territory, Canada. The largest gold strike in the annals of human history has just been made; however, word of the discovery will not reach the outside world for another year.By happenstance, a fifty-nine-year-old Huck Finn and his lady friend, Molly Lee, are on hand, but they are not interested in gold. They have come to that neck of the woods seeking adventure.Someone should have warned them, "Be careful what you wish for."When disaster strikes, they volunteer to save the day by making an arduous six hundred mile journey by dog sled in the depths of a Yukon winter. They race against time, nature, and man. With the temperature hovering around seventy degrees below zero, they must fight every day if they are to live to see the next.On the frozen trail, they are put upon by murderers, hungry wolves, and hostile Indians, but those adversaries have nothing over the weather. At seventy below, your spit freezes a foot from your face. Your cheeks burn-your skin turns purple and black as it dies from the cold. You are in constant danger of losing fingers and toes to frostbite.It is into this world that Huck and Molly race.They cannot stop. They cannot turn back. They can only go on. Lives hang in the balance-including theirs.

370 pages, Paperback

Published April 7, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Andrew Joyce

8 books39 followers
Andrew Joyce left home at seventeen to hitchhike throughout the US, Canada, and Mexico. He wouldn't return from his journey until years later when he decided to become a writer. Joyce has written seven books. His first novel, Redemption: The Further Adventures of Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer, was awarded the Editors' Choice Award for Best Western of 2013. A subsequent novel, Yellow Hair, received the Book of the Year award from Just Reviews and Best Historical Fiction of 2016 from Colleen's Book Reviews.

Joyce now lives in Gloucester, Massachusetts.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (2%)
1 star
2 (4%)
Displaying 1 - 17 of 17 reviews
Profile Image for Laurie.
617 reviews129 followers
June 8, 2016
Quite frankly, the blurb really intrigued me because I love stories set in Canada and Alaska, I love historical fiction set in the 1800's, and I love stories about dog sledding. I was also interested in the idea that the author took a fictional character that most of us are familiar with and gave him a life and adventures beyond the original scope Mark Twain could have ever envisioned. Another reason this book initially appealed to me is because the characters are well into middle age when they embark on this arduous journey.

Based upon the blurb, I decided to read the first few pages of the book in order to get a feel for the story and to gage if the voice and writing style would appeal to me. Well, that snared me more than ever into Huck's story - I just kept reading and couldn't let loose of the adventure until it all played out to the end.

The book kept me enthralled throughout and moved along at a crisp clip, filled with action, funny moments, and, it seemed to me, authentic American dialogue. The characters became real to me as their actions and encounters with nature and other people played out over the course of the story. I bought into the idea that Molly and Huck were real. That Huck was not simply an extended construct of another author's pen.

I wholeheartedly enjoyed the adventures in the cold, isolated wilderness right along with Molly and Huck. I felt their sometimes debilitating exhaustion and hunger as the frigid weather almost overwhelmed them at times. I thrilled to witness their courage, love, and fortitude as they experienced life under some of the most hostile conditions imaginable.

I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Reviewed by Laurie-J
Profile Image for Barb Taub.
Author 9 books62 followers
May 31, 2016
As a young country, America compressed what would be centuries of development in the countries of her founders’ European roots into a period of one lifetime. Andrew Joyce captures this as he continues to ‘document’ the life of Mark Twain’s iconic Huck Finn. Like most Americans, I’d followed young Huck and his friend Tom Sawyer in a bucolic antebellum South, and then as the young teen faced ingrained racism, criminal greed, and coming of age on the Mississippi River.

That’s where Andrew Joyce steps in to take up the tale. What happens, he asks us to imagine, when Tom and Huck grow up? They’ll go through the Civil War—Confederates, of course—and that crucible will undoubtedly define the men they become. Their tale is told in Joyce’s first book, best-seller Redemption. In that novel, there is a short encounter with a beautiful 18-year-old, Molly Lee, rescued by Huck from Yankee rapists before he leaves to continue his life.

Molly’s story is told in Joyce’s next book, Molly Lee. Her tale takes up the next stage of American history as the free-for-all Wild West gives way to established ranches and farms.

Thirty-five years later, Molly and Huck finally meet again. As Resolution begins, we join them as members of a posse led by Tom Sawyer to catch a killer. But even as they face the dangers of the wild west days—gunfights, stampedes, hostile native peoples—there is a strong feeling of this being the last time. Those days are ending and Huck doesn’t see a place for himself there.

But they are still looking for adventure, and Huck tells Molly there is one that beckons. Alaska.

[QUOTE:] So there you have it. I’m not quite sure what will be waiting for us when we get there, but that’s why I want to go; to experience new things, new sensations, in a new land. I want to go to where there isn’t another person for hundreds of miles. Although I wouldn’t mind having you within a hundred miles, preferably right next to me. [END QUOTE]

And off they head for one more great adventure together—gunfights, murderous robbers, wolves, dogs, sleds, gold rush, a raft (of course!) and above all the deadly beautiful land itself.

In each of his books, Andrew Joyce uses the setting as almost another character. We see the “Wild West” growing up, getting tamed by settlers, farmers, the railroad. We see Alaska just starting to face those same challenges. Despite its bare bones approach to sensory descriptions, the spare prose and dialog convey the overwhelming and impersonal power, beauty, and threat of the country as Molly and Huck make their way.

From the dangers faced on their raft to their six-hundred mile dog sled race against a frozen winter landscape to the threats—human, wolf, and nature itself—they face along the way, this is fast-paced distilled adventure. But ever so subtly, the real theme of the book starts to make itself heard. It is the most basic of all character development, the coming of age story. Even though Molly and Huck are middle-aged, they are growing up. Just as the pre-War South, the Civil War horrors, the Wild West adventures, the struggles to establish farms and towns have all contributed to America’s coming of age, so too does this final adventure represent an oddly-complete maturity for Huck and especially Molly.

[QUOTE]“The killing has to stop sometime. So I think that right here, right now, in the middle of this goddamn Yukon Territory, hundreds of miles from civilization, I am going to renounce killing. You can do whatever you wish. I do want to live and I want John to live, but if it means killing another human being to do so, then I will die now. I don’t aim to ever raise a gun in anger again, even to save John’s life.”[END QUOTE]

As I said in my review of Molly Lee, if westerns as a genre are about seizing control of our own fate—the ultimate American-defining trope—then Huck Finn and Molly Lee’s story is as American as a western could possibly be. Certainly, I think it deserves every one of those five stars.

**I received this book for free from the publisher or author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**
Profile Image for Colleen Chesebro.
Author 11 books66 followers
October 1, 2016
I first met, Molly Lee McMasters in Andrew Joyce's book entitled Molly Lee, the second volume in his Tom Sawyer-Huckleberry Finn adventure series. I fell in love with her character and style.

I was excited when Resolution came out and as usual, the author did not disappoint! Molly and Huck are so believable, I expected them to walk off the pages and shake my hand.

Resolution is the third book in the series and in my humble opinion, my favorite. Do you remember reading Call of the Wild, by Jack London when you were a kid? I must have read that book at least ten times. I enjoy a book where an animal becomes an entire piece of the narrative.

Let's put it this way… A new star was born from the pages of this novel and his name is "Bright," a Husky, and the lead sled dog. The personality of the dog shines throughout the novel. Huck and Bright share a special bond. This story would not have been the same without Bright leading the path back to civilization.

However, you can't help but love the characters of Molly and Huck. They are the true heroes we think of staring in American westerns. Both characters are propelled through life by the morality and code of the old west. When they give their word, they mean it and they don't abandon their friends, no matter who they may be.

One of my favorite things about Andrew Joyce's writing is his use of rich descriptions. Through his accounts, I was transported back in time to 1896 Alaska. The gold rush had barely begun and trappers abandoned their traps for the lure of easy money. The visuals of the wilderness, the weather, and the people Huck and Molly met along the way were stunning.

Here is an example of a description that took my breath away:

"…It had stopped snowing by the time twilight crept over the mountain. In gloaming's grayness, one of the prominences of snow moved slightly. Without warning, as a volcano, it erupted and the man sat upright, throwing off his blanket of snowfall…"

When I read a novel, I want to close my eyes and imagine myself in that setting. Andrew Joyce's skills in storytelling lead the reader on an amazing adventure where all of your senses come into play. In fact, I have one of those reading hangovers. You know, when the writing touches you and you miss the characters and the story…

Thank goodness, Yellow Hair, another Andrew Joyce historical western is soon to be published. To peak your curiosity, I want to share the author's note about the new book:

"Every death, murder, battle and outrage that I write about in this book actually took place—from the first to the last. The historical figures that play a role in my story were real people and I used their real names. I conjured up my protagonist only to weave together the various events conveyed in this fact-based tale of fiction. This is American history. Andrew Joyce"

Stay tuned! You are going to love Resolution!
Profile Image for N.N. Heaven.
Author 6 books1,780 followers
June 24, 2016
This book is a very good read and nicely stands alone by itself. One really doesn’t notice that it is the third book of a series. As an avid reader who enjoyed Tom Sawyer waaaaay back in the day, it took me a couple of head shakes to be able to accept Huck and Tom as the late middle-aged lawmen come adventurers but this book really made it believable.

I loved how the author portrayed western action – gun fights etc. – that was pure brilliance. This author could write Zane Grey like westerns and they would be fantastic reads. I really liked Huck and Molly (and Tom when he was around) and the book was a great read. Fans of adventure and edge of your seat thrillers can’t do better than this book.

For me, I had tiny issues with the number of challenges that Huck and Molly faced in their adventures. It seemed like it was never going to stop. To my mind, simply living in -70 degree weather for many many days in a row seemed to be beyond human endurance. If it wasn’t the cold, it was a storm, a mountain, a fall through ice, a wolf pack. I got a wee weary of that continual threat but that is my own issue.

The book is a superb read and very well written and one that will take the reader on an epic adventure with a beloved literary character who has grown up.

My Rating: 4.5 stars

This review first appeared: https://princessofthelight.wordpress.com
Profile Image for Jo Robinson.
Author 7 books50 followers
April 29, 2016
I never realised that Resolution was part of a series until after I finished reading it. It’s a perfect standalone novel, although now I do want to read the first two as well. Andrew Joyce writes a story that is pretty much impossible to put down once you get started.

Resolution’s heroes are none other than Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer, in fabulous incarnations that I can believe would be heartily approved of by Mark Twain himself. Tom doesn’t have a major part on this book, but the fabulous Molly – Huck’s love, makes up for that and then some.

Molly and Huck head off to Alaska on a grand adventure, and happen to be right there when the biggest gold strike of all time is made. They’re not interested in panning for gold though. Instead they find themselves up against both man and nature as they race across the snow in deadly sub-zero temperatures on a dog sled to get a man home by a certain very important date.

I was mostly on the edge of my seat – the action doesn’t stop, but there is so much wit, love, and just plain fabulous life in this story, I loved it all the way through. Andrew Joyce is the real deal, and an awesome storyteller in his own right, right up there with Mr Twain.

This review is for Feed My Reads South Africa
Profile Image for Pamela Beckford.
Author 4 books18 followers
April 25, 2016
Huck Finn and Molly Lee depart on an adventure in the Yukon. I was captivated by every twist and turn and couldn't read fast enough to find out what was going to happen next. This is the third book about Huck Finn, Tom Sawyer and Molly Lee. They can certainly be read independently of each other, but I always think you should start at the beginning. Huck and Molly make new friends, dog sled, brave the frigid temperatures and race against the elements. I highly recommend all of these books, but this one kept me on the edge of my seat.

I was given an ARC in exchange for a fair review and these opinions are all my own.
Profile Image for Stephanie -BooksLessTravelled.
889 reviews113 followers
July 20, 2016
**I received a complementary copy in exchange for an honest review**

I'm so excited I got to take part in this blog tour! I was given a complementary copy in exchange for an honest review. I choose to take part in this blog tour, because I have always loved Huck Finn and stories about Alaska and sled dogs. Put them together, and I couldn't pass it up! I love how it's written, reminding me of classics, namely those by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens). It just felt right, and was also detailed, flavored with experience and passion.

Full review can be found on my blog:
Profile Image for Bob.
301 reviews2 followers
April 30, 2016
3 out of 3, and this one may be the best of the lot. Great adventures, especially once they get to Alaska. It's been fun following what might have happened to the adult Huck, Tom and Molly.
One question for Andrew Joyce: did you have any thoughts about what might have become of Sid Sawyer? I thought Tom relaying the contents of a letter or some such to Huck might have resolved things for an admittedly minor character. Minor quibble, that. A fine series!
Profile Image for Emily.
10 reviews
April 22, 2016
Andrew Joyce is one of my favorite authors and his newest release did nothing to change that. RESOLUTION is a great story; it is well researched and written in an authentic voice. Kept me engaged from beginning to end. I highly recommend this book!
65 reviews
August 29, 2016
I loved this book. I am a die-hard Mark Twain fan, so was a little concerned I'd be hard to please. This book was wonderful. I loved the setting, characters and story. Mr. Joyce did not disappoint. I felt the camaraderie between the characters and the action kept my interest. Read this book!
Profile Image for Tina.
Author 7 books107 followers
March 18, 2017
I am a big fan of Andrew Joyce’s work, and I’m here to tell you that he’s done it again! Like the author’s first two books – Redemption and Molly Lee – RESOLUTION: Huck Finn’s Greatest Adventure is packed with excitement, humor, adversarial encounters, treacherous experiences, and yes, exhilarating adventure.

Set in the late eighteen hundreds against the backdrop of the Yukon Territory gold strike, Huck Finn asks Molly Lee to go with him to Alaska.

“I’m not quite sure what will be waiting for us when we get there, but that’s why I want to go; to experience new things, new sensations, in a new land. I want to go to where there isn’t another person for hundreds of miles.”

Little did Huck know that he would soon wish to see a human face – any human face, regardless of persuasion.

Huck and Molly leave Tom Sawyer and his lady friend, Mary, in Redemption and sail up the Pacific coast to Juneau. Wily Huck and beguiling Molly extract all the information they need from unsuspecting locals and set out for what they think might be a little gold panning along the way.

But like a collapsing house of cards, one misadventure leads to another and they find themselves dog-sledding across the Yukon tundra in order to reunite a young and newly three-legged miner with his very pregnant wife hundreds of miles away. Through blinding blizzards and seventy-below-freezing temperatures, they battle the elements and myriad antagonistic life forms – human and otherwise – to make good on their promise.

This book kept me on the edge of my seat. I have a brilliant imagination yet was challenged by anticipating what might come next. I read the 351-page book in one day; couldn’t put it down. And in my neck of the woods, Huck Finn, that’s the mark of an outstanding story.
Profile Image for Kasey Cocoa.
954 reviews39 followers
September 1, 2017
This is the third in the series although it could stand on its own. For me, it was an improvement from the previous two books. The reading is easy enough with no complicated phrases or thesaurus replaced words. There are a few grammatical issues that stood out to me but likely wouldn't bother most readers. I feel there were too many obstacles for the pair, many of which seemed to be a stretch in terms of survivability. The western feel was nice and felt authentic, as was the era. Overall, this is a decent read. I received an ARC through the author in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Jessica Bronder.
2,013 reviews21 followers
January 21, 2017
We start this story with Huck Finn and Molly Lee visiting their friend Tom Sawyer. There is a murder and chase and Tom deputizes Huck and asks for his help hunting down the killer and getting the real story of what happened. This little adventure has rouses Huck’s nature and he asks Molly to follow him to Alaska. Together Huck and Molly find lots of adventure with a gold rush, gunfights, dog sleds, murderers, and so much more.

This story is filled with lots of action and adventure as you follow Huck and Molly into untamed wilderness. Huck is still the little boy we meet years ago. Molly is a head strong woman and bound to keep up with Huck where ever he goes. But she will not follow after him like a lost puppy. I loved the settings with the wilderness of Alaska and everything they faced. Everything is very realistic and I could feel myself with the two of them as they almost freeze.

I have not read the other two books in this series. This did not cause any problems since Resolution could be a stand-alone book. But after reading Resolution I will be definitely be reading both Redemption and Molly Lee.

I received Resolution: Huck Finn’s Greatest Adventure from the author for free. This has in no way influenced my opinion of this book.
Profile Image for emily.
107 reviews
August 8, 2016
Resolution: Huck Finn's Greatest Adventure is awesome! I was honestly shocked how I was pulled into Huck and Molly's story. Usually, historical fiction books don't do that to me. This book was filled with intensity, giggles, and action. I also was surprised to find that this book is apart of a series when I looked at it on Goodreads. It's a perfect stand-alone book, sometimes stand-alone books can leave you hanging, but this one sure didn't!

Huck Finn's character is pretty rad. I mean this guy really wants to accomplish so many adventures before he's not able to anymore. Huck and Molly's relationship was just the right amount of reality and cuteness. I really loved at the beginning of the book when Molly thinks she knows what Huck is gonna do and that he is gonna leave her behind, but then totally surprises her and the reader.

Resolution: Huck Finn's Greatest Adventure is a great adventure and historical fiction! I would recommend it to anyone who wants an exciting fiction novel! I give Resolution: Huck Finn's Greatest Adventure five stars!
Profile Image for Reeca Elliott.
1,146 reviews13 followers
Read
August 20, 2016
Huck, and yes I mean the real Huck Finn, and Molly are on their greatest adventure yet. I love how the author has taken two famous fictional characters, Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer, and created a tale around their middle aged selves. Huck Finn met Molly years ago and by happenstance meet up again and never part ways.

I was intrigued from the very start just by the characters alone then the story takes the reader on an adventure like none other. I felt every wind chill and every fear, including the wolves!!!! The time period and the setting alone are enough to keep the reader moving along. But then the Indians and nature start to take its course and this story is unstoppable.

This novel is part of a series however, it is a very nice stand alone read.

I received this novel for a honest review
Profile Image for Sage Adderley.
Author 3 books85 followers
August 19, 2016
If history textbooks were as well-written and interesting as Joyce's novel, I would probably have paid more attention in school. One of the things that stood out to me the most was the dialogue. It's so important. It can make or break a story, and I am happy to say that the dialogue in Resolution made the book. I could visualize the environment, the time period, and each of the characters. I loved Huck and Molly. Their banter and love are great. There is a ton of action in this novel. I think fans of historical fiction would go nuts over this book. 5 stars.
Profile Image for Janice Spina.
Author 44 books105 followers
January 8, 2019
Resolution is book 2 of Redemption, the continuing saga of the tales of Huck Finn and friends. This book covers the later life of Huck and his woman Molly when they are in their late fifties. This can be a stand alone book or read after Redemption which is what I did.

Andrew Joyce has taken a childhood classic and brought it to a whole new chapter for readers. As a child I always wondered what Huck and Tom would do as they got older. This series has gone above and beyond my wildest expectations. It's an adventuresome and enjoyable read as the author takes his readers along a treacherous journey with Huck and Molly across Canada's vast frigid landscape when they help a one-legged man get home to his pregnant wife and son.

Huck and Molly go to extremes to traverse this bleak land where they encounter danger at every turn. This book kept me in suspense as I turned pages praying that they would complete their journey unscathed.

This is a must read if you are looking for a book that will exhibit the strength, courage, goodness, and resilience of the human spirit.

This was a thoroughly enjoyable and unforgettable read. Andrew Joyce is a talented writer whose books will one day be on the big screen. I look forward to more of his entertaining books.
Displaying 1 - 17 of 17 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.