Start by marking “The Haunted (Sleeping with Monsters Book 1)” as Want to Read:
The Haunted (Sleeping with Monsters Book 1)

The Haunted

(Sleeping with Monsters #1)

The first in the Sleeping with Monsters series, about strong women and the monsters they love,The Haunted is a very hot modern take on gothic ghost stories.

Daphne Vance's life is perfect -- she's a beautiful, devoted wife, and her husband has just bought her a vast countryside estate to start their family in.

But when her husband leaves on a business trip, it doesn't f
Published February 11th 2016 by Argus Industrial (first published July 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Haunted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Haunted

Dusti Hanrahan
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars??? Is that even a rating.....
It was just ok.
Dee
4.5 monstrous stars.

Wow what a trip that was. This story was well written, unique and smoking hot. There was a lot of sex and in many forms, including some with a less than formed being.

To start with I struggled with the idea of a ghost being able to have sex with a living being, but then just went with it. There were numerous smoking hot sex scenes between the main character Daphne and the ghost, haunting her new home. Most scenes took place while her husband was away, not sure if ghost sex co
JESSICA
Contains: MF, Light BDSM, MFM, FMF, Ghost sex, Cheating, Murder and Mayhem.

Any Ghost Want To Come Haunt My Ass!?

photo 7025929_zpsntn0uo7o.gif

photo Scary_014b23_5464629_zpsm3qmms8l.gif

Oh my goodness, You don't understand how frickin "AMAZING" this book is.... The moment I started reading, I couldn't put down... I love that this was set in a haunted mansion. I really loved this story. This book has everything I love - Bdsm, Dark Erotica, Horror, and haunted by a sexy ghost. If you love paranormal romance (Ghost) I highly recommend!
BookWormAli
UH What did I just read?....

Ok so I like smut, and I have no problem with some blurred lines, but this book went a way I totally didn't expect, and turned into a complete Orgy...The ending was not even remotely how I thought this was going to end and kind of a cliffhanger...

I give this author props for going a different route but there was some major disconnect between Daphne's feeling and how she acted.

I'm still scratching my head. because I have no clue how I feel about this. Going to let it s
Paul
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book in exchange for an honest review:

Review in two parts. The first part will be visible to all, an overall review of all the things I loved about the book. The second contains spoilers and I am going to try using the HTML code, as it contains the only complaints I have and requires knowledge of the story itself.

How much did I love this book? It was, from the start, one of the best I have read for the R2R TPE Bar I have done. Ms Alexander set a bar which only one other author wh
Amanda
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, after just finishing this book I feel like I rode the most epic rollercoaster.

My mind is all ..

Where to start ... where to start indeed...

Daphne and Richard buy a most beautiful estate. However, Daphne is left to her own devices for much of the first part of this novel as Richard's career and "extra-curriculars" take him elsewhere. She explores her new, beautiful piece of history but notices that something, or rather someone has invested an interest in her.

My first thoughts about this as
Dena
Aug 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
Wouldn't waste my time

I did not understand the story much. Who was the Master? What does he want? What did he want with Daphne? Sex? Relationship? I didn't understand Daphne and the ghost. Daphne finds out her husband is cheating and decides to give herself to the ghost. Is that normal behavior for the character? She also has sex with the Gardner Jason. It seems like she became a nymphomaniac and I didn't understand if it was because of the house/ ghost or she was desperate for a baby. There are
Cary Morton
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I quibbled with myself for a little while before I came up with an appropriate rating for The Haunted by Cassie Alexander. Some people aren’t going to like it. It is a niche of dark fantasy erotica that isn’t going to appeal to everyone. It is dark, sexy, terrifying, and at times very graphic. If those things don’t appeal to you, you’re probably going to want to pass this one up.

The story was incredibly steamy, a bit taboo at times, and not always easy to understand. The main character, Daphne,
Madge
Full review of this one and the sequel, The Hunted on my blog.

I can't remember how I acquired this book, but I think it was from a group here for an event I participated in. The book was lost in the black hole that is my Kindle until this summer when I looked up the description and thought, "What the hell, I haven't read any ghost-y erotica before." So, there's a good chance some of my issues have been corrected because I did have an old copy of this book.

So, there's a young, desperate housewife
Arec Rain
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blacklist
Ever read something then immediately think “wtf did I just read?” It happens to me, albeit not very often, but it does.

And it did with this novel.

Read that synopsis up there? Yeah that’s a lie. Daphne’s life isn’t perfect. We can see from page one she isn’t happy with her marriage or the changes happening in her life. Daphne is also, to put it mildly, an idiot. The author attempts to make this forgivable by using lame plot devices such as Daphne being “sheltered,” but put simply Daphne either d
Zosia
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book.
I haven't read many erotic ghost stories.
It was interesting to watch (view spoiler)

I think the plunge into the accepting of the paranormal was handled well.
Kat
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ghost story lovers, PNR BDSM readers
To me I would describe this book at is core as a ghost story with BDSM erotica twists. I wasn't expecting the direction the story took or the way Daphne herself changed over the course of the story.

Noël Cades
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ultra-hot
This is an amazing, extremely hot read. Easily a five-star rating,

1. Beautifully written. It has the universal, timeless quality of many classic ghost stories.

2. Great plot. The main story is as strong and as interesting as the erotic aspects. Many erotic novels are sex scenes strung together with a thin storyline. This is a proper book. It's even scary at times!

3. So much sex - and so much variety - and it's never too much or too long. Best of all, the sex a crucial part of the plot and the cha
Ilene
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
*Beware* This is a paranormal erotica.

This book is HOT HOT HOT! Cassie Alexander has become one of those authors that when I want a Paranormal fix I go to. I love Cassie's voice and the world she carates. So when I saw that she released a Paranormal Erotica book. I was sold! I must admit I don't read that much erotica books but I absolutely loved this book. There was A LOT of steamy and HOT scenes in this book. It's a book that is hard to read in one sitting. The premise of a ghost as a lover se
Emma
May 27, 2016 rated it liked it
angela
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Different, but good

This book was interesting, a bit different but all an all I enjoyed it. Very sexual, not for younger peeps. It's a quick read and there are three books to read. I'm going to start the next one now. Curious where it goes from here.
TP
The first book The Haunted by Cassie Alexander from the Sleeping with monsters trilogy is a crazy story. And i don't even mean the ghost part by that. It was idiotic but surprisingly entertaining, even in disbelief.

What a story.
It starts out really slow and boring. I almost put the book aside twice. Hell knows why i still kept on pushing.
Then it picks up pace around 40% and you get the urge that you really, really have to know how it ends, Pronto. No matter how insane it is. At about 70% i snort
Anita Harris
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sexy and scary

I liked this book and gave it a five star rating because it both caught my attention at the beginning and I had to finish reading it. I stayed up until 3:16 a.m. reading because I just had to know how it ended. It had an unexpected ending that was kind of scary and unique. A great book.
Erin
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Erin by: Read 4 review from author
***I would like to start by saying I received a free copy of this book by it's author for an honest review***

First thing we should talk about is the name of this book and it's story line. How can anyone resist reading an erotic BDSM book with GHOSTS in it? The paranormal aspect of this story pulled me in before I even opened to the first page. Then I did open to page one and.......

The story was in deed as wonderful as I anticipated. I had very high hopes going in and I was not disappointed. The
Seregon
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Warning: may contain spoilers* *18+ read*

Daphne Vance's wealthy husband, Richard just bought an enormous estate in the middle of nowhere, and Daphne has no idea what to do with her days since her husband is always away on "business" trips. Well maybe if you tried jumping out of the 1950s of non working women you'd have something to do...

It isn't too long that Daphne is confronted by the ghost of the former owner. It starts small, but leads up to some hot nights in the giant foyer, library and o
Beth C.
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Good title for a very unconventional haunting.

The story was captivating. And if you had to be haunted, that sounds like a pretty darn good way. But story was just kinda weird. It did this huge turn in the last couple chapters that didn't really fit with the rest of the story. The end just felt disjointed.
Christine
Jul 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x-botb-2014
"The Haunted" uses all the conventional haunted house tropes in unconventional ways...Think "Lady Chatterly" meets "The Shining."

Daphne arrives with her husband Richard at their new home, a huge old mansion way out in the country that he insisted they buy. But he immediately leaves Daphne alone (well, alone except for the servants) to unpack and settle in...OK, cue the scary music now....

Daphne's upset. She didn't want the house, and doesn't like it, but she's determined to make a home for them,
Luke Sherwood
Daphne discovers her husband, who leaves frequently on business trips, has been cheating. They have just moved into a new country manor, and in her husband’s absence, she feels no guilt in doing a bit of cheating herself. Fortunately, or unfortunately, the manor hosts the spirit of a former owner, and this spirit takes full – and I do mean full – advantage of her.

The sex Cassie Alexander depicts in The Haunted starts out wanton and wild as Daphne submits to the rather expert uses the resident sp
Zosia
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book.
I haven't read many erotic ghost stories.
It was interesting to watch (view spoiler)

I think the plunge into the accepting of the paranormal was handled well.
Willow Sanders
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review:

I liked the first 3/4 of this book. When it was simply Daphne and the ghost and her husband was a secondary character, the story had good pacing and flow, and decent dramatic tension. Once supplementary characters were woven in, the story gets a bit muddled, and the action appears to happen behind the scenes where the reader is not involved or witness to it. There are a few points that are either glossed over or not addressed at all. Who is
Ann-Kristin
Charlie
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-2014, arcs
Received an ARC for an honest review

I am not 100% what I feel about this book. I was enjoying the story; there was enough story line to keep you wondering where in the world is this going; this is a good thing because the book is not 100% predictable. Yes there are some things you see coming a mile away but then there are some that you are like wow that came out of left field. As the story unfolds you find yourself not knowing what you want to happen. If I had to categorize this book I would say
Samantha
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book by Cassie Alexander I have read. I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed this book. For a book with a very small cast of characters it was very well written. At the beginning I had a hard time with the fact that the main character was having a sexual encounter with a ghost. It was the most unique idea I have read in a long while.

SandyL
Wow - very interesting!! Daphne's husband buys a large mansion in the middle of nowhere, pretty much drops her off and then leaves for a business trip. Turns out there is a ghost who likes sexy games and likes Daphne. Next thing you know, Daphne is doing the ghost, the gardener and her hubby when he's home. She also finds out her husband is having an affair. There was so much going on, and I liked the book a lot until about 80%. I liked Daphne being with the ghost, with his BDSM games and sexy s ...more
Kera Gould
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Le Cirque D'Amour (Burlesque! #1)
  • On the Auction Block (Slave of the Aristocracy, #1)
  • The One Nighter
  • Shades of Kink: From Alphas to Masters
  • A Happily Ever After of Her Own (Ever After, #1)
  • Yield (Pierced Hearts, #5)
  • Lucky's Charms
  • Dalton (Mistress & Master of Restraint, #4)
  • Dark Wine (The Two Vampires, #1)
  • The Vampire Pendant  (Blood Genies, #1)
  • Lust (Three Stages of Love, #1)
  • Snowflake Wishes (Echo Lake, #0.5)
  • A Ghost in the Glamour (A Linx & Bogie story)
  • My Wish (Guardians of Time, #1)
  • Cursed Ever After (Eternal Vampires)
  • Tortured Soul
  • Mechanical Hearts (Skeleton Key)
  • Breathe You In
Cassie Alexander is an author and a registered nurse and author of the Edie Spence urban fantasy series, beginning with Nightshifted and continuing with Moonshifted, Shapeshifted, Deadshifted, and Bloodshifted.

Recently, she's gotten into Vegas and Vampires -- check out her new urban fantasy erotica series, Dark Ink Tattoo.

She's also written three books in her sexy Sleeping with Monsters series: Th

Sleeping with Monsters (3 books)
  • The Hunted (Sleeping With Monsters #2)
  • The Hated (Sleeping with Monsters #3)