Start by marking “7 Steps to Fearless Speaking” as Want to Read:
7 Steps to Fearless Speaking

7 Steps to Fearless Speaking

This seven-step program for improving oral communication skills tells how to improve the voice itself, structure a presentation, use props, and demonstrate conviction.
Published April 26th 1999 by Wiley (first published April 12th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about 7 Steps to Fearless Speaking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 7 Steps to Fearless Speaking

Eimantas Zemaitis
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
An illuminating practical guide to public speaking and presentations. Comes with many tips and exercises that can aid everyone. Practice makes perfect.
Franks V.
Oct 27, 2017 rated it did not like it

"Lilyan Wilder has trained more broadcasters, politicians, and business executives than anybody." - Charles Osgood, Anchor, CBS News Sunday Morning.

When people say they'd rather die than address an audience, they're not kidding. Fear of public speaking has even topped death in some surveys. But now top communications consultant Lilyan Wilder offers some sound advice on how to overcome the crippling inhibition of public speaking. Her clients have included media icons Oprah Winfrey and Charlie Ro

Vlad
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Includes information on how to construct a persuasive argument, how to tap into emotional memories to be a more evocative speaker, how to warm up your voice, etc. For such a short book, it’s a bit too broad and unfocused. The advice isn’t bad, and it’s certainly coming from an experienced coach, but it feels scattershot.
Lynn
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
This book had been on my bookshelf for over a decade, and just decided to pick it up ahead of my soon-to-be-due library books. Not a very flattering title or design but may be straight to the point!

Some say it's a short read but this makes me procrastinate. It's not a short read for me.

I think Wilder's teaching method is a little different. Did not quite get it at the beginning because she preferred to use example speeches instead of direct wordings.

Overall, it boils down to structure, creativi
Gary
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book, 7 Steps to Fearless Speaking, is a short and a quick read.

I have never suffered, as some do, from a significant fear of public speaking. I learned many years ago that when you do not speak on a topic that you do not feel strong about you will come across flat. In this case, you will sense the audience member’s rejection the points you are trying get across.

This book is not primarily about the fear of speaking (as the title implies), but more about how to do formal presentations. The
Joseph
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Seven Steps to Fearless Speaking is a great resource for teaching one how to prepare for a speaking engagement. The coverage is good, with sections from relaxation techniques beforehand to the organization of ideas for the talk and strategies for its presentation. While not exhaustive, it is well-organized and provides a very applicable framework for any presentation. It also provides good practical examples and walkthroughs. Yet, of most use is the section on helping one confront issues (i.e. a ...more
Phillip
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
This book takes a positive pop psychology approach to advice on public speaking. It reads more like a therapy book than one on getting over stage freight. Ultimately, it does both throughout the text. I will say it is one of the better, non-foreign language, titles put out by Penton Overseas. Well done. But, for me it just wasn't great.
Marie
Apr 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: business, nonfiction
I listened to this on tape in the car, and I think it might have been more effective had I read it in print. The author is clearly a talented public speaking coach and offers several specific tips in her book; however, in order to apply them I would need a refresher on paper.
Don
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
deeper conviction in message, enjoyable give and take, specific direct response via question or situation, personal story, innovation moves beyond, what action do you wish them to take, empathize understand audience personal story, art.
Angelaxuli
Nov 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Nothing really new learn from this book.
Dan Arnold
Dec 19, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Sellers
Good tips for prepping for a preso.
Gerson
Feb 27, 2015 rated it liked it
It'll do
Torki
Mar 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shortly, I can say that practice what you want to say will make you feel confident when speaking in public.
Nicole L.
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provides great guidance on how you can become a more confident public speaker. I highly recommend it for anyone who may face speaking to a small group or large group.
Rick
Mar 28, 2010 rated it liked it
This was a quick read, but had some good information concerning public speaking.
Barry Forrest
Jun 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Solid tips for getting comfortable with your inner voice and trying to stay calm. Preparation and practice and engage them with a story.
Mark
Sep 10, 2011 rated it liked it
it never hurts to improve your public speaking. :)
Hammad
Chandu
Jul 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »