Start by marking “The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)” as Want to Read:
The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)

The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)

The Go Getter is the story of William Peck. He was a war veteran and amputee who will not be refused what he wants. Peck not only fights to find employment but continually proves himself more than competent at the many difficult test that are throw his way in the course of his early days with the Ricks Lumber Company...
Published October 19th 2006 by Book Jungle (first published November 30th 1920)

To ask other readers questions about The Go-Getter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Go-Getter

Lynda
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All those who need a little inspiration
There is an abundance of knowledge available to us; there are libraries, websites, mentors, and lessons learned the hard way. There are goals to reach, mountains to climb, lives to change, and new roads to travel. We have dreams, we have passions, and we have must-dos, can-dos, and should-dos. All of us have within us the power to make great strides for a better world for ourselves, our families, and the generations to follow. These achievements take personal and professional forms, sometimes a ...more
Chris Munson
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A very short parable (you can read it during your lunch hour) on how a young unemployed veteran is handed the opportunity to take his career to the top (if he succeeds) or go down in flames and ruin his career (if he fails). The book runs along the lines of the "Who Moved My Cheese" approach (though it was written in the 20's) of using a short story to explain a few very basic (though powerful) principles. This book really sums up the guiding principle of consulting: Even if you aren't sure you ...more
David Glad
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: achieve
For anyone who doesn't wish to buy the (audio)book, you can download this off librivox.org (volunteers who make public domain versions of audiobooks of books that have since passed into the public domain..) or the full text off Google books.

This was a very nice short story about tireless persistence and ingenuity with the primary character being a "disabled" veteran of WWI (contrasted with other lazy workers the bosses knew) who consistently beats the almost "impossible" odds stacked against him
Bob Wallner
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
I added this book when Chris Hogen on EntreLeadership Podcast was doing their "Must Read" segment early 2014. The premise is about doing what ever is needed to reach your goals.

This hour long audiobook is entertaining, but is difficult at first as it is written with very "old-school" language. This took a minute to get over and eventually made the story very pleasant.

The next/biggest problem I have with the story line is that it challenges the character's morality. Not to give away anything, bu
Corey Kniesel
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm use to my mind wandering or falling asleep after 15-30min.....2hours later the book is done!

The Story Kept me engaged and wanting to hear what was next. Bill Peck Values something that I feel has been watered down and lost its value over the years, His Word. One man at a time we can Build Strength into Our Word so the Phrase "My Word Is My Bond" and the Value it Brings can Mean something once more! Starting with Me! I Commit to Myself, I Give My WORD to Myself to Become a Go Getter For Mysel
Pamela Fernandes
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a wonderful short about the story of a go-getter. Peck a war veteran demonstrates the qualities of a go-getter. What you have here is a war veteran with an amputated leg and hand. Yet, with singular focus and determination he manages to get his job done. Many people might read this and think, this is just silly, but I believe it's a matter of perspective. You can read it and each person will learn something based on his own flaws.This book written in 1920 taught me a few things:
- The mot
Keith
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Short book - can easily be read in one sitting - but powerfully inspirational. Get this book on your shelf and read it often!
Darren Sapp
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice novelette that will motivate those in sales or seeking achievement.
Chris
Sep 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own
My workplace gave all employees a copy of The Go Getter and encouraged us to read the book and to come up with our own "Blue Vase." There was also apparently a short story by P.G. Wodehouse of the same name and so to avoid confusion I found a couple of places that referenced this book by Kyne as Winning the Blue Vase. Other versions add the (original?) subtitle "A Story that Tells You how to Be One."

The book is a very short read (only about 70 pages) and our edition came with an afterword of ano
GoldGato
Written in the 1920s, when the business of America was business, this reprint tells a story of how a handicapped man used his "go-getter" attitude to overcome the odds. Now in this new century, companies are handing this book out to employees to bring back the old work ethic.

A WWI veteran asks an eminent company executive for a job. In order to get that precious position, the disabled man must pass the Blue Vase Test (which means he has to find this object and deliver it at a certain time). As t
Billy
Apr 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reading
If you're looking for a 'rags to riches' kind of story, check some place else. This is pretty straight forward and written for the well-read or the not-so-well-read. The story is very similar to The Devil Wears Prada, which I found amusing. I'd recommend this to any person wanting to do better at a current job or get a new job.
Beau Raines
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A quick read about getting the job done. It tells the story of a veteran who wants a job with a lumber company and his resolve to get the job. When he gets the job, unbeknownst to him. he is put to a test . The story continues with his resolve to finish the task.
Rob
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Are you a Go-Getter? This quick read lets you know what it means to be one.
JC
Sep 17, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a good story about the willingness to grab what you're dreaming of and the rewards that come.
Jesus
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alyssa Smith
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the higher-ups at my current company---the senior VP of sales, of course---gave me, and every one of his past employees, this book as a new-hire gift. He found it motivational and hopes that all of his employees read it and strive to be a 'go-getter.'

As this book is so short, I read it in one sitting and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The story is interesting and has plenty of motivational blurbs and lessons to be learned. I can see why it appeals to my boss so intently. I am no
Wes Martin
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work, 2018
In general, I hate parable-based, lesson in a story books. They tend to be overly cheesy, with the moral of the story overstated. However, this book is different and I sincerely appreciate that. Kyne wrote this book with a simplicity reminiscent of the worldview of the 1920s, where grit, determination and work ethic prevailed. Although technological advancements have changed how work gets done and how we define "hard work", the principles outlined by Kyne apply today - be a person of integrity, ...more
Venky
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bibliocase
This fictional story of a World War II amputee and his crafty but well meaning albeit unbiased and impartial employer "Cappy" Rick not only warms the deepest cockles of every heart but also serves as a beacon of inspiration. This book needs to read by everyone, young and old, able and the differently abled, prince and pretender. All of 76 pages, this work will make you go to it again and again and again. The exploits and the admirable determination of William Peck in spite of being seriously mai ...more
Neelam Babul
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
An inspiring read that has emphasizes the importance of persistence, confidence and belief in oneself as well as not letting personal imperfections or disabilities hinder one to succeed.

Peck is a war veteran who limps slightly and has half his arm chopped off due to the war. However, he still goes on to look for a job at a woodworking firm and succeeds in turning the odds against him and ultimately earning a better and lucrative position.

A short read but a mine of information and inspiration is
Mike
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Good little story. Challenged me to think about how persistent I am in my work. Will I do whatever it takes (while maintaining integrity) to get the job done?

This short story makes no mention of faith or family, which detracts from it. And also, there's an element of sales here that is focused on sticking it to the customer, in some parts.

Nonetheless, while work/life balance is important, it's also important for me to work my tail off and say "It shall be done" to any task/project given to me.
Amit Verma
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This small story, narrates brief encounter depicting, if you are fully dedicated then every job is possible. Story is fast, engaging and sets a thriller type enigma. Everybody will find it worth a read. It revolves around new recruit in company who is handed over a difficult job, which if he fails is going to get him fired. This lovely story shows if you are desperate enough, goals will not betray you.
Pamela
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esta es la historia de un hombre con el deseo de ser productivo y trabajar para una compañía respetable y prestigiosa. El hace todo lo posible para enfrentar las pruebas que le ponen en camino los jefes y así determinar si en verdad es la persona adecuada para tan importante puesto en tan respetable empresa. Aun sin importar las capacidades especiales que él como nuevo empleado tiene, da el todo por el todo.
Inspiracional para dar el todo por el todo aunque fue predecible.
Orlane Monga
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Week 1 of 2019
#1 Book: Finished reading The Go-Getter by Peter B. Kyne
❤❤❤My Favorite: « It Shall be Done » Motto
🥰🥰🥰Bill Speck’s character: I want to be a Bill Speck and That’s a goal i can intensionally set and work at as a I grow.
💰💰💰This book had me reassess my definition of commitment and had me come to a Jesus moment in those areas where I have 1 foot in and 1 foot out.
🤩🤩🤩This is definitely a book to read on a monthly basis. I highly recommend it.
Leslie Lamb
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is a story of a veteran who is determined to get the job. He is confident and persistent. Although the first people he talks to deny him the job, he finally talks to someone who will. He does so well at his job that they give him the “blue vase.” It is a test to see if he will be persistent and break all the odds to do what he is asked. They want to know if he is manager material, or someone who will be up there and in charge..,
Jenna
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick read with valuable lessons, straightforward characters, and funny situations. I don't read a lot of literature from this period so the dialect was different from what I'm used to, but I definitely laughed out loud at a lot of Cappy's lines! This is a book you can read in an hour on a lazy Sunday and then use to reflect on your own life afterward.
Gregory Williams
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
A very old leadership book that I'd actually first read over 20 years ago. I found myself referring to a "blue vase" challenge to someone in my team and decided to re-read this to refresh my memory of the book. You don't read this for the writing; you read it to help illustrate what persistence can mean - not just trying, but doing.
Margaret
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
If you have signed up for the Goodreads Challenge and find yourself short a book or two, this 55 page book, first published in 1921, would be an easy way to rack up a "read."
Otherwise I don't especially recommend it. Judging by its 4 star rating, others do.
Unless they too wanted a quick read?
It is an entertaining enough tale.
Lisa Andrews
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great points illustrated in this story about perseverance and never losing focus on the end goal. Unlike the current books solicited to drive this point home, "The Go-Getter" is a tale written in 1921 to illustrate some great points. Not your average business or leadership book. Interesting read! I read it since it's on Dave Ramsey's team's must-read list and I was not disappointed.
Nikki Welch
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short, but powerful parable story about powering through obstacles, as well as how to be a leader who promotes growth. This book can be read in under an hour - perfect for a waiting room read or lunch hour time passer. Will definitely be required reading for any future employees, as well as children of mine.
Chris
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fairly quick 45 page read written in the twenties. The written old language is a bit to get used to but it eventually flows. For me, this book was about setting specific goals and being persistent in achieving it. No matter what obstacle gets in the way the character still overcomes it. A sheer test of strength and endurance. A good read worth coming back to in times of doubt.
Kindle Deals: Free Motivational Sales Book! 1 3 Oct 26, 2015 11:43AM
  • The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant: Principles for Successful Living
  • Rhinoceros Success: The Secret to Charging Full Speed Toward Every Opportunity
  • Flipping the Switch...: Unleash the Power of Personal Accountability Using the Qbq!
  • No More Mondays: Fire Yourself -- and Other Revolutionary Ways to Discover Your True Calling at Work
  • The Power of Who: You Already Know Everyone You Need to Know
  • Hung by the Tongue
  • Thou Shall Prosper: Ten Commandments for Making Money
  • The Choice
  • More than Enough: The Ten Keys to Changing Your Financial Destiny
  • Read and Get Rich: How the Hidden Power of Reading Can Make You Richer in All Areas of Your Life
  • Win: The Key Principles to Take Your Business from Ordinary to Extraordinary
  • Becoming a Person of Influence: How to Positively Impact the Lives of Others
  • Business By The Book: Complete Guide of Biblical Principles for the Workplace
  • The One-Life Solution: Reclaim Your Personal Life While Achieving Greater Professional Success
  • The Friendship Factor: How to Get Closer to the People You Care for
  • Life Is Tremendous
  • Roaring Lambs: A Gentle Plan to Radically Change Your World
  • Acres of Diamonds
Peter Bernard Kyne was an American novelist who wrote between 1904 and 1940. Many of his works were adapted into screenplays starting in the silent era, particularly his first novel, The Three Godfathers, which was published in 1913 and proved to be a huge success. He is credited in 110 films between 1914 and 1952.

When still under 18, he lied about his age and enlisted in Company L, 14th U.S. Infa
“If I can do it, I'll do it better than it was ever done before, and if I can't do that I'll quit to save you the embarrassment of firing me.” 2 likes