Start by marking “Save of the Game (Scoring Chances, #2)” as Want to Read:
Save of the Game (Scoring Chances, #2)

Save of the Game

(Scoring Chances #2)

After last season’s heartbreaking loss to his hockey team’s archrival, Jacksonville Sea Storm goalie Riley Hunter is ready to let go of the past and focus on a winning season. His new roommate, Ethan Kennedy, is a loud New Yorker with a passion for social justice that matches his role as the team’s enforcer. The quieter Riley is attracted to Ethan and has no idea what to d ...more
Published January 29th 2016 by Dreamspinner

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Q. Why did the chicken cross the road?

A. She was cranky to see a M/F scene in the middle of her M/M novel.

Yes, that happened at 12 percent. And I was so appalled, I slammed my Kindle shut. (Which wasn't nearly as satisfying as throwing a book across the room. But whatever.)

Authors, the majority of readers don't want to see one of the MCs fucking someone else, male or female, on page. STOP IT.

But, hey, I didn't let that ruin the book for me.

I do love me gay some hockey players, because who does
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*4.5 stars*

Avon Gale is on FIRE with this series! Hot, sexy, sweet, entertaining, PLUS HOCKEY GUYS! I honestly couldn't ask for more.

Save of the Game was another excellent book in a series that is shaping up to be a favorite of mine. I think this author has helped convert me to a full-time hockey fan because hockey books are my new obsession!

I, again, listened to this as an audiobook, and I had the same reactions to the narrator, Scott R. Smith, as last time. There is something about his cade
Gigi
Another win from Avon Gale! This is the second book in the Scoring Chances hockey series. Gotta love that hockey action!

save the game

We met Riley Hunter in Breakaway, a big, quiet goalie who is a bit confused about his sexuality. In Save of the Game we meet his new roommate, Ethan Kennedy, who is a brash New Yorker who loves the ladies.

Riley is a solitary man, who just so happens to be a billionaire. He grew up in a loveless home with servants being his only companions. Ethan is very sociable and comes from
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
review removed from GR

description

An ARC was provided in exchange for an honest review.
☆ Todd
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it

While I liked this story a lot, it didn't seem to have quite the same *zing* that I got from book 1.

I liked both Riley and Ethan, seeing them get together, get over themselves, and growing a lot in the process; however, this one just felt more like a nice, slow, leisurely Sunday drive than a Friday night at the races, if that makes sense.

The parts of the book with Ethan's family, seeing how supportive and loving they all were to one another, were as uplifting as seeing how Riley's family was dis
* A Reader Obsessed *
3.5 Stars

Um. Seriously? May I just say that these 2 are the most sexually open guys ever. With nary a hiccup or batting an eyelash, they explore their sexuality with hardly a doubt, insecurity, or worry. Well… that’s not the entire truth, but they sure surmount their questions and confusion with extreme ease, and do so quite sexily. That’s not a complaint, since angst is highly overrated right??

Riley - quiet, contemplative, steady as a rock. He’s so laid back that nothing really ruffles his fea
Debra
Review originally posted at Sinfully.

Sometimes you just want a story that’s comforting and Save of the Game fits that bill perfectly. This is one of those stories where there is a focus on the relationship with no craziness, big drama or angst, but just two men moving from friends to lovers, discovering their bisexuality and building a fun, loving relationship while navigating their everyday lives. This is also a hockey series so they’re also trying to build on their team’s momentum fro
.Lili.
 photo image.jpg1_zps4bkrymhf.jpg

Save of the Game by Avon Gale was a sweet friends to lovers story. We have two hockey teammates whose friendship develops into more than just being roommates.

photo d4dc0697-a7b8-40d3-827c-c311a18f38ff_zpsmcnlxexb.jpg

My highlights:

*The main characters. I thought Riley and Ethan were great characters who showed growth throughout the story.
*The suporting cast. To be honest, they almost overshadowed the main characters a bit. I fell in love with Ethan’s family.
*Humor
*The book had a nice, relaxed, feel good vibe.

That being said…

The story was missing somethi
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*A forgettable story*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

I was hoping for a epilogue. I really wanted to see how the two characters did in the future. The book centers around Jacksonville Sea Storm goalie Riley ‘Riles’ Hunter (how old?) and Jacksonville Sea Storm's enforcer Ethan Patrick Kennedy (24) who is also Riley's new roommate. Riley is trying to figure out how he feels; is he gay? While doing that, he and Ethan gets closer, and their friendship becomes more... Overall, the books was cute, fast forward and a e
Jewel
I would have given this one 4.5 stars, but it ended so abruptly. I really thought it was missing a chapter or two. Other than that, I liked it better than book 1, which I quite enjoyed. I'll try to make time a bit later to write up more of a review.
Chelsea
4.5 hearts!

What a wonderful surprise that story ended up being!

That was gorgeously sweet and angst free. I absolutely fell in love with Riley and Ethan but it was Scott Smith’s voice as Ethan that left me surprisingly flawed and made me realise this is what listening to audiobooks is all about.

Riley and Ethan start off as roommate's and together discover the joys of bisexuality.

A highlight of the story was these boy’s sex scenes, they were actually the very cute, realistic fumblings of two men
BWT (Belen)
The sophomore story in any series, particularly one coming on the heels of a story I loved like Breakaway (the first book in the Scoring Chances hockey series), well...it has a lot to live up to. I expect a lot from it. I expect humor, and romance, and smoking hot sexy times. AND THIS DELIVERS!

dude yes

When I first met Riley Hunter in Breakaway, I fell a little bit in love with the quiet, introverted goalie who was hiding his ultra-rich billionaire background. In Save of the Game Riley gets a new roommat
Elle aka Leftie aka Shoebelle
*A free copy of the book provided by the author in exchange for an honest review*

Aww...

This is now the 2nd Avon read for me and seriously, I just realized, this is what I want to do with these boys in this series,

We were first introduced to Riley and Ethan in Breakaway, hockey players playing for the same team (pun intended:p). From roommates, it moved on to something more.

On the one hand, Riley and Ethan are quite opposite because of their upbringing. Riley is of the quieter, calmer kind. Where
Simone
4.5*

Still waters run deep…

… and at the bottom there's the devil, as we say in German. ;-)

Good grief! Who would have thought what's lurking beneath the surface of calm and collected Riley Hunter?

What do you do when you are totally clueless about something? You google it! At least that’s what I would do... ;-) So what does a guy when he feels attracted to his roommate and has no idea what to do about it? Exactly the same! And -God bless the Internet- what Riley learned in doing so and then subs
Ami
I definitely enjoyed the second installment of Gale's hockey series much better than the first one due to one specific reason.

Despite both MCs are practically bisexuals as well as gay virgins, but the idea of open relationship is toned down. Neither Riley or Ethan brought the idea of threesome or doing it with others as frequently as it was with Lane and Jared. Sure, Jennifer Lawrence's name is thrown into the mix, but I'm good with it. She's a celebrity -- not exactly one of the people in thei
Susan
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm

I loved this!

I love the GFY trope, but I sometimes have trouble with a double GFY story simply because there is so much awkwardness. I love awkwardness, but it can also take the sexy out of the sex. Or lead to massive amounts of insecurity for both guys.

But not here! I loved how both Ethan and Riley both spoke their minds. The sex scenes were very sexy but also quite hilarious.

“Is this… um? Weird?”
“You’re gonna put your fingers in my ass, dude,” Ethan said. “Of course it’s weird. Tha
Jay Northcote
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another super cute, feelgood hockey romp from Avon Gale. I really enjoyed this. If you liked the first in the series, you'll like this too, and if you haven't read them yet and you like lighthearted hockey stories, then I suggest you check them out :)
Chris, the Dalek King
Riley Hunter is used to no one caring about him. Sure, he has friends, but he never feels like he can really be himself around them, and his family has never been one to do much more than drop the occasional card in the mail. For all that his money makes life easier, it sure doesn’t make it happier. Especially when no one seems to understand just how much he wants to give back to those he is slowly growing to care about.

Ethan Kennedy has only had three people he could depend on in his life: his
Jenni Lea
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comfort-reads

Man, this series is good! No time for chit chat, gotta start the next one like right now.
Norah Una Sumner

description

me @ all these reviewers getting mad that one of the leads has a one night stand with a girl IN A MIDDLE OF A M/M BOOK. Wow. What a tragic event for the human kind really. (it happens in the beginning, please forgive my dramatic style)

Ever heard of bisexuality, Susan?

But seriously the girl, Sierra, is literally such a BAMF, I wanted her to be a part of the story so bad. Sorry, angry ladies.

I loved Riley. I really loved Riley. I loved the family dynamics and I want to be adopted by Ethan
Chris, the Dalek King
I’m beginning to think that books by Avon Gale have some type of super power. Like, not only does the mere fact that I’m going to read one of her books suddenly make all the books I happen to read around the same time like really awesome-–but they also have the power to make me forget (even if only for a little while) that I’m supposed to be feeling sick and miserable and extremely grumpy.

Do you know how hard it is to be grumpy when you have a toppy goalie tying up a hot defenseman with hockey l
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥
Review @Ohmyshelves Blog

Yes!!!! Another winner by Avon Gale. She is rocking this series, and this was angst free. Her writing was spot on, and such a cohesive story line. I know next to nothing about Hockey, even live in a Hockey city, but I wasn't as confused as I was in book one. I adored this one a lot. Hockey isn't my thing, but guys are! Riley was everything. I really liked him as a character, and Ethan Kennedy wasn't to bad himself. Why did it have to end? I wanted to totally see
Elsbeth
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it

*3,5 stars*

Nice story about two hockey players.

description

This is series is good. It doesn't blow me away though.

It's about Riley, a goalie we met in the first installment. He rooms together with the New Yorker Ethan. Ethan has a very supportive family. One Riley is quite jealous off. Riley has all the money in the world but really misses the human connection.

I liked Riley and Ethan very much together. They were friends first before they realised their attraction to each other. I liked how easy they were
Eugenia
Going in for a second comfort listen.....I just love this series and narrator! Just as good the second time around--I adore, simply adore Ethan!
BWT (Belen)
Belens Audio Book Review

I've made no bones that Riley Hunter is one of my favorite characters in the Scoring Chances series, and that he and Ethan Kennedy are one of my favorite couples, so I had high expectations of Scott R. Smith's narration and I feel like every expectation was met.

Smith performs really well, with great character voices, good pacing, timing and delivery.

I expected him to really bring to life the humor, romance, and passion, and I feel like he delivered on all counts. I'll definitely be slipping this
Meags
3.5 Stars

I enjoyed following the Jacksonville Sea Storm into another season of ice hockey. Even more, I enjoyed following Riley and Ethan on their sometimes awkward journey from friends-to-lovers. I appreciated that there was little angst here and that both guys were willing and eager to explore their newly realised bisexual status together without much drama. It was easy and it was fun.

Overall, I enjoyed this slightly more than the first book (Breakaway), but there is something about this seri
Bev

4.5 stars from me. Riley and Ethan were cute, but I loved Lane and Jared from the previous story. Ethan's family more or less adopted Riley and his sister Madison, and it was good to see something of Lane and Jared again, and know that Ryan and Zoe were getting hitched.

The stories are moving from the Jacksonville Sea Storm to the Spartanburg Spitfires with a whole new cast of characters in the next story of the series Power Play.
Wendy
4_stars.png (1024×188):

I've read the first book not too long ago and wasn't really wowed by it. Now this one..I liked way better. Riley and Ethan were awesome together, they were both very like-able characters !

They start the new hockey season as roommates. Both have a very different background. Ethan comes from a very loveable family. His mom and sisters adore him. The only things he doesn't have are a father who cares about him and money. So he really wants to make it playing hockey, because he wants to make his fam
Kaje Harper
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm enjoying this series a lot - the writing is fun, with humor and emotion, the characters are great, and the level of hockey action suits my tastes.

Riley and Ethan are a great contrast. Ethan has a wonderful family, a lot of pride, no money, and a possible shot at a future in hockey. Riley has great talent and so much money he hides it, so as not to seem too different from his teammates. What he doesn't have is family or, since his best friends have left town, much of a social life. These two
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
MC smoking 3 29 Feb 03, 2016 10:36PM
Why has this got 3 stars? 2 40 Jan 07, 2016 03:52PM

• Winging It
  • Home and Away
  • Changing Lines (Harrisburg Railers, #1)
  • Reading the Signs
  • Out in the Field
  • Double Up (Lake Lovelace, #1)
  • Horizons (Horizons, #1)
  • Play On (Glasgow Lads, #0.5)
  • Offside (Offside, #1)
  • The Brick Yard (The Brick Yard, #1)
  • Ten in the Bin
  • Tigers on the Run (Tigers and Devils, #3)
  • Lucky (Lucky #1)
  • How To Quit Playing Hockey
  • Two Man Advantage (Point Shot, #1)
  • The Unforgiving Minute
  • Illegal Contact (The Barons, #1)
  • Offside Chance (Southern Scrimmage #3)
Avon Gale lives in a liberal Midwestern college town, where she spends her days getting heavily invested in everything from craft projects to video games. She likes road trips by car, rock concerts, thunderstorms, IPAs, Kentucky bourbon and tattoos. As a queer author, Avon is committed to providing happy endings for all and loves to tell stories that focus on found families, strong and open commun ...more

Scoring Chances (5 books)
  • Breakaway (Scoring Chances, #1)
  • Power Play (Scoring Chances, #3)
  • Empty Net (Scoring Chances, #4)
  • Coach's Challenge (Scoring Chances, #5)
“What was the problem? Couldn't a guy have a heated argument with his secret billionaire boyfriend at hockey practice with out an audience?” 1 likes
“Riley stared at him. "How do you just say that stuff?"
"What do you mean? How do I just say shit without thinking about it? I dunno. I just do. It's not that hard. Just try it sometime."
"Okay," Riley said, and then he said, "I love you.”
1 likes