Start by marking “斯坦福极简经济学” as Want to Read:
斯坦福极简经济学

斯坦福极简经济学

斯坦福大学最受欢迎的经济课!
  从36个经济学关键名词入手,每篇约3000字,用生活实例引入主要原理,解释、分析经济现象,概念清晰,没有经济基础,也能轻松理解。简约不简单,帮助我们认识复杂的世界,在经济社会中,成为一个更聪明、更成熟的参与者。
Kindle Edition, 1, 245 pages
Published January 1st 2015 by 湖南人民出版社 (first published January 31st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about 斯坦福极简经济学, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 斯坦福极简经济学

Start your review of 斯坦福极简经济学
BookSweetie
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I admire an author who can take a basic and relevant discipline and make it comprehensible in short, cleanly written prose. That's what Timothy Taylor has done in The Instant Economist: Everything You Need to Know About How the Economy Works.

This is not exactly a beginning college course in economics -- it is a paperback book after all -- it's shorter, less detailed, but the highlights of basic microeconomics (first half)and macroeconomics (second half) are all there for those of us who want a
Brad
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: introductions
I'm giving this book five stars because it's one of the only introductory texts on economics I could find that made a serious effort to remain neutral while discussing policy. I really can't say who the author voted for in the last election, and that's how it should be. The information was also well organized and easy to understand. I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants to have a better understanding of economics.
Heather
Feb 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This was not an easy read. However it was very informative. It's a book that someone can go back to several times. It teaches you about the federal reserve, the cost of health insurance and how even groceries can affect our own Economic future. It is a book that everyone should read.
Franz
Apr 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
With some caveats, this is a good book to learn the basics of micro- and macroeconomics without stumbling over complicated equations. Taylor writes lucidly and covers pretty much what would be covered in a college introduction to economics course, from competitive markets to externalities, public goods, poverty and inequality, economic growth, fiscal policy, trade, money and banking, monetary policies among many other topics. The theory and practice of economics as he presents it is, as he asser ...more
Kenyici
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't graduate from secondary school and high school. I didn't study much my entire life.

This book makes it easy to understand economy and how it works even for an uneducated jock like myself by providing short and concise explanation of theories coupled with insights and suggestions behind real-life government decisions and policies.

I will be coming back to this book often to recap and familiarize myself.

Having not much education before, the rewarding effect of this book has been very obvi
Phil
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Timothy Taylor is a noted Economist who can simplify. This is a wonderful beginning for anyone interested in Economics. My only criticism is that he does not deal with the acceleration principal of money one of the basic concepts to understanding what money is and what causes recessions and inflation.
Heef
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
About as exciting as 250 pages on economics can possibly be
Dylan
The Instant Economist's title gives it away. This book gives reader a basic knowledge of a wide variety of economic topics almost overnight. I read this book in preparation for a business camp I attended in New York. There, words were thrown around that I would never have heard of if it weren't for this book. While The Instant Economist may not make you a professional economist, it provides a stepping stone to allow you to go where you want without being confused about the basic principles that ...more
Minh Pham
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As ambitious as the book's title may sound, The Instant Economist has delivered. For me the book is by far the best introductory book on economics I've ever read. The book is structured as 35 small essays in which the author give a discussion on a topic of economics that the everyday person may encounter. Each essay was concise, insightful and carefully argued.
Shishir
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting albeit little right wing view, of the rules of economics. Large subject dealt in a concise way covering both micro and macro aspects of economics as well as short and long term implications in the globalized world.
Gina
Jul 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author's stated goal is a clear easy explanation of multiple economic concepts, and that is mostly accomplished. It starts with microeconomics and builds in a logical fashion toward macroeconomics. Sections are short enough to prevent getting bogged down.

Sometimes there are weaknesses where something that is just economic thinking really needs to be tempered by a knowledge of history or sociology or psychology, where yes - that is how economists would see it, but there are flaws - but gettin
Jason Hall
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent introduction (or refresher) on micro- and macroeconomics. Thorough but very accessible. The book is also well-organized. Each chapter is only a few pages and focuses on a specific topic, moving from basic microeconomics (supply and demand in individual markets) through macroeconomic issues such as currency exchange rates and globalization. This allows the reader to either read through the whole book and get an overview of economics or simply get an explanation for individual ...more
Steven C.
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author does an extraordinary job of explaining basic economic concepts in great detail and providing an array of examples for understanding. He keeps it simple and uses ideas/scenarios that anyone could understand.
Phillias
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good primer with no math, just enough on a broad range of topics. Contains Phillips curve and QE discussions.
Alina Yang
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 经济学
it makes me feel economist is easy to understand
Corey
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, easy-to-read, broad introduction to economics. If you know little-to-nothing about economics, this book is thoroughly worthwhile.
Ram
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great introduction to macro and micro economics for laymen.
Sonia
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
A concise and comprehensive book on the basics of economics. I will probably come back to this book again if I want to revisit some of the economic concepts.
Mike Blackwell
I guess I know how the economy works now! Good thing it's all being destroyed soon enough and I can go back to growing beets and foraging for nuts and fungi.
Trevar Moore
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Explained economics in easy to understand terms.
Sanjay Banerjee
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enabling a layperson like me to make sense of the current economic events!
Mike Romano
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid introduction to the field of economics for a beginner and a great refresher for those who have previously studied it.
Sebastian Mallory
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is basically an outline for a standard economics course one would take in a high school. Timothy Taylor spends half the book discussing microeconomics and personal finance before moving on to the grander scale, the workings of our government and the global economy in the form of macroeconomics. I felt this was a very solid introduction that I would recommend to anyone interested in flirting with economics, as it keeps the subject interesting while explaining it clearly and concisely. T ...more
Kim Heimbuch
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had to fight my husband over this book. With our economy not finding any respite the past few years this book has been a great read over and over and a book I highly suggest for anyone interested in economics and the American government system. It is never to late to get informed and know really what is going on in our economy and how it impacts us and what can be done to correct it. With the elections now over, there is no better time than now to pick up a copy of this book and learn everything ...more
Wessex Warrior
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent overview of economics from micro to macro to issues of current interest. I like the format for such a potentially dense topic: 36 short chapters (7-10 pages each) each dealing with a separate topic. Also, it fits my attention span. It seems to be part of The Great Courses series for which I constantly get mail solicitations. If this book is indicative of the quality of the other courses, I may give them a whirl. They call economics "The Dismal Science", but I find it actual ...more
Amber
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish there was a way to mark books as abandoned - not because I didn't love the way this author laid out an overview of economics, plainly, with plentiful analogies (so helpful) and with honesty and equanimity, giving me understanding of a topic I'd never explored before - but simply because I was only interested in the micro-economics part, the economy's relationship with the individual, and not the bigger-picture macro second half of the book.
Bryan
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The dive-into book for Economics. No prior knowledge required, easy to understand and follow. The author is very clear, gives good examples, and lists out all the points in an easy to follow manner. Definitely highly recommend this book to anyone trying to get the big picture about the global economy and how governments and corporations duke it out. After reading this, I have much greater appreciation for government institutions' intentions with the economy.
missheliophilia
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
The author has really done an amazing job to explain how the economy works in such a short but relatable and clear way. For those who don’t have a background in Finance / Economics but are planning or starting their MBA degree, this is your 101 book to get the general idea. Even if you got your MBA, this can be a quick 60-90 minute revision for you, especially you have graduated for a few years now and are still not working in these two fields.
Beth Kleinman

Not as snarky and entertaining as "Naked Economics," but covers some areas that "Naked Economics" doesn't. I recommend reading "Naked Economics" first, then expand your knowledge base with this book.
Michael Sautter
Written in a simple, straight-forward manner that the average person can understand. Chapters aren't very long and well titled so if, for example, you want to read about exchange rates or supply and demand then you can turn to the chapters titled Exchange Rates or Supply and Demand.

• Blauer Elefant
  • ذاكرة الجسد
  • 1/4 جرام
  • 2 ضباط
  • الأرواح المتمردة
  • Deng Xiaoping's Long War: The Military Conflict Between China and Vietnam, 1979-1991

News & Interviews

“Discrimination clearly continues to exist in American society, but at this stage in American history it’s neither accurate nor helpful to place most of the blame on employers. You have to discover and target the sources of discrimination, wherever they may occur.” 0 likes
“As a general rule, people with high incomes and high tax bills should care more about tax breaks and choose their investments accordingly. Those with lower incomes and lower tax bills don’t need to worry as much about the tax advantages of their investments.” 0 likes