Start by marking “Clock and Dagger (Clock Shop Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Clock and Dagger (Clock Shop Mystery, #2)

Clock and Dagger

(Clock Shop Mystery #2)

Expert clockmaker Ruth Clagan has another murder on her hands in the second Clock Shop Mystery from the author of Just Killing Time.

Ruth has three days to pull off four events—including the grand reopening of Cog & Sprocket, the clock shop she inherited from her grandfather—so she doesn’t have time for Beckett Green’s nonsense. The competitive owner of a new bookstore, Gre
Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published August 2nd 2016 by Berkley

Start your review of Clock and Dagger (Clock Shop Mystery, #2)
LORI (Dollycas) CASWELL
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
Dollycas’s Thoughts

Ruth has been busy updating both the Cog & Sprocket and her apartment above the shop. She is still trying to restore the local clock tour but keeps getting waylaid by the city manager. The owner of the new bookstore, Beckett Green, is giving all the Orchard merchants headaches as he plans to open a place selling much more than books, competing with almost every business on Orchard by selling the similar merchandise. He even tries to lure one of Ruth’s employees away from her.
Dawn Frazier
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! As good as the first!
Mark Baker
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, mystery
Ruth has a very busy week ahead of her getting ready for the grand reopening of Cog & Spocket. Tonight, however, she is working on the launch of a promotion to help all the businesses in town by cross promoting each other. The giant open house goes off well, until Ruth finds a dead body as the evening is winding down. The pocket watch next to the victim intrigues her. Is it a clue?

The book starts a little slowly reintroducing us to the characters while planting a few seeds for the mystery. Once
Edith Maxwell
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I loved this second installment of the Clock Shop Mysteries. Ruth Clagen is fun, competent, and caring - even if she does tend to run late! Julianne Holmes (aka Julie Hennrikus) winds this story up at the beginning and it never stops ticking until the surprise ending. Highly recommend.
Barbara Ross
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A smart follow-up to series opener Just in Time. I love the world Holmes is building in this series.
Tina
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The old clocks held many secrets and time was running out for clockmaker, Ruth Clagan owner of her grandfather,G.T's clock shop, Cog and Sprocket who was brutally murdered . Beckett Green was Cog and Sprockets neighbor and new book shop owner who was making trouble for Ruth and other business owners by selling not just books in his new book shop but a little of what everyone in the town of Orchard, Massachusetts were selling including clocks and watches, gearing up to put Ruth and Cog and Sprock ...more
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I’ve waited a long time to read CLOCK AND DAGGER . . . It was worth the wait!

Author Julianne Holmes has penned another amazing story with CLOCK AND DAGGER. Her attention to detail, and her very clear affection with this series, shines through with every word.

Hooked half way into chapter one, my time spent reading this second book in the Clock Shop Mysteries was indeed time well spent. Page after page of CLOCK AND DAGGER I became more immersed into this wonderful story. Between the subject matter
Mystereity Reviews
See my review (and more) on at Mystereity Reviews

In Clock and Dagger, the second in the Clock Shop Mystery series, Ruth is once again plunged in the middle of a murder. The clock is ticking, can Ruth find a killer before time runs out?

It's just after Christmas in Orchard, MA and clock maker Ruth Clagan is busy with several events, and with troublemaker Becket Green's unreasonable plans. Just days before she's set to re-open Cog & Sprocket, word gets out that Beckett is planning a book store/cof
Doward Wilson
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great characters & a twisted murder plot make this a great read. ...more
Fred
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Clock And Dagger is the second book in the A Clock Shop Mystery series.

Another very enjoyable visit with the folks of Orchard, MA.

The New Year is approaching and Ruth Clagan has mixed emotions about it’s coming. She’s quite excited that she will be having the grand reopening of the Cog & Sprocket, but upset that matter with the lease of the town hall, which she inherited in addition to the Cog & Sprocket.

Several businesses have gotten together and are offering a card to customers will invite the
OpenBookSociety.com

Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Jeanie

Synopsis:

Regan
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ohhh this is a good one! Good mystery that ties a couple of threads together. I really like Ruth. She's such a great character. And the different options for things to happen in a clock shop is very innovative. With the move to the clock tower I can see more good mysteries coming from this series.
Marilyn
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great mystery with 3-dimentional characters and a satisfying ending.
Kristina
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Clock and Dagger by Julianne Holmes is the second book in A Clock Shop Mystery series. Ruth Clagan is a horologist (clockmaker) and is getting ready to reopen Cog and Sprocket in Orchard, Massachusetts. Ruth made some changes to the store and apartment above after inheriting the shop from her Grandpa Thom (G.T. for short). Things have been made more difficult by Beckett Green. Beckett is opening a bookstore across the street called Been Here, Read That (which would be good for the town), but he ...more
Toni
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
My thoughts: 4.5 Stars
Ruth Clagan is a horologist. Horology is by definition the art or science of measuring time. This makes Ruth somewhat of an expert at clock and watch repair. So, it is no accident that she takes over the shoppe called the Cog & Sprocket for her late grandfather, GT. Ruth has decided that one of her missions is to refurbish the old clock tower but she is being blocked right and left by a lady on the city board. When the residents are getting ready for a downtown party which
Jeanie
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: obs
This is definitely a series that I want to read - this second mystery is even better than the first! It is fresh, exciting, and different.
Ruth has refurbished the Cog and Sprocket and her living quarters upstairs to be more modern or in the case of her living space, more efficient. A few days prior to the grand reopening, the shopkeepers in the area have held a special open house for the community, but one of Ruth's new employees is conspicuously absent...until she almost trips over his murdered
Debbie
I really enjoyed this book, the characters and their reactions are realistic and believable. I love Ruth who is strong and ready to help anyone but admits to her mistakes, like not getting to know her step grandmother better (whom I also love). The talk of clocks and watches I find interesting but it doesn't try to overwhelm you.
When Ruth finds an employee she had hired dead we are taken on a story line that has twists and turns, a past that is found out, shady dealings with a new store owner
Clare O'Beara
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: america-crime
I enjoyed this American small town mystery which focuses on competition among shop owners and the planning desires of the local authorities. The main shop involved is a clock shop, and the town hall with its handsome old clock features largely. But the human side is very much to the fore. Characters are well developed and used.

Have a good time with this craft cosy mystery.
I downloaded an ARC and wrote an unbiased review.
Nora-adrienne
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozies
Twists and turns, murder and mayhem. And that at the beginning of the book. To my mind our intrepid author is really giving us a lot for our money. The storyline has multiple sub-plots to keep your mind running, and the interpersonal activity between characters will make your head spin.

BUY THE BOOK! YOU'LL LOVE IT!
Lisa
May 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Ruth Clagan inherited the Cog and Sprocket clock shop and the Town hall from her grandfather, and the grand re-opening is approaching rapidly. First, though, is the open house for the local businesses, which is also the kick-off for their co-op punch card program. When one of her shop assistants is found dead, Ruth thinks it’s the curmudgeon across the street who wouldn’t let his soon-to-open shop participate in the punch card program, but he has an alibi, so she pursues other clues.

I haven’t re
Dawn
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I started reading this series to learn more about horology, and there was some information about clocks and repair. But the focus was, as it should be, on the mystery. Although I was not surprised by “Who done it,” the town and its inhabitants are believable and well-rounded, the main characters enjoyable to spend time with. Good enough to keep me interested in the series.
Sherrie
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Ruth gets to learn more and actually appreciate more the woman that her grandfather married Caroline. It is nice to get to know another main character. This has a combination of mystery, murder, and they finally find out what Beckett is up to and why. A good combination of some humor and murder. Luckily Ruth keeps her wits about her when things go wrong and Ben is to the rescue.
Tyrannosaurus regina
Fell into a few more predictable tropes than its predecessor, but I loved how it just completely shut down the juvenile jealousy/misunderstanding threads almost before they started. Still a cut above the rest.
Sarah Adamson
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
2nd in the series - my first.

A really good cozy mystery! I don’t know much about clocks or watches but this author achieved the balance exactly right - enough information to make it relevant and interesting without being overwhelming. A nice tale with good twists and Page turning moments!
Another nice and clean cozy. The romance is moving at a snail's pace, but I'm ok with that. :) I like how the author is continuing to develop the backstories of some of the important characters in this series.
Spook Sulek
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fluffy-mysteries
Really, really enjoyed it. Will definitely look up the first in the series!
Deborah Almada
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyable read, love the town, the people and the clocks!!!!!!
Crystal Anderson
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Better than the first book but still not one of my favourite cozy mystery authors. Found it a bit slow at times. Basically I read it since the library had it.
Kristin
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have
Good read. Interesting setting, complex characters, good mystery. Starting the third book today!
Sue Em
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Entertaining -- both this book and the series. Who knew horology would be so interesting.

• To Catch a Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery #8)
  • Thread on Arrival (Mainely Needlepoint #8)
  • At the Drop of a Hat (Hat Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Marigolds and Murder (Port Danby Cozy Mystery #1)
  • Thread Herrings (Mainely Needlepoint, #7)
  • A Time to Scatter Stones (Matthew Scudder #17.5)
  • I.O.U. (Jenny Cain, #7)
  • Go to My Grave
  • Nighttown (Junior Bender, #7)
  • Bum Steer (Jenny Cain, #6)
  • Quiet Neighbors
  • Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind (Miss Julia, #1)
  • Death al Fresco (A Sally Solari Mystery #3)
  • Hanged for a Sheep (Mr. and Mrs. North #5)
  • Of All Sad Words (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #15)
  • The Good Byline (A Riley Ellison Mystery #1)
  • All Men Fear Me (Alafair Tucker, #8)
  • Dead Crazy (Jenny Cain, #5)

Clock Shop Mystery (3 books)
  • Just Killing Time (Clock Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Chime and Punishment (Clock Shop Mystery, #3)

News & Interviews