Jump to ratings and reviews

Essential PHP Security

Being highly flexible in building dynamic, database-driven web applications makes the PHP programming language one of the most popular web development tools in use today. It also works beautifully with other open source tools, such as the MySQL database and the Apache web server. However, as more web sites are developed in PHP, they become targets for malicious attackers, and developers need to prepare for the attacks.

Security is an issue that demands attention, given the growing frequency of attacks on web sites. Essential PHP Security explains the most common types of attacks and how to write code that isn't susceptible to them. By examining specific attacks and the techniques used to protect against them, you will have a deeper understanding and appreciation of the safeguards you are about to learn in this book.

In the much-needed (and highly-requested) Essential PHP Security, each chapter covers an aspect of a web application (such as form processing, database programming, session management, and authentication). Chapters describe potential attacks with examples and then explain techniques to help you prevent those attacks.

Topics covered include:

Preventing cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerabilities
Protecting against SQL injection attacks
Complicating session hijacking attempts
You are in good hands with author Chris Shiflett, an internationally-recognized expert in the field of PHP security. Shiflett is also the founder and President of Brain Bulb, a PHP consultancy that offers a variety of services to clients around the world.

109 pages, Paperback

10 books1 follower

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
7 (3%)
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 14 of 14 reviews
Profile Image for Rose Smith.
14 reviews9 followers
September 20, 2019
I started reading it after a lot of recommendations but it wasn't gone up to the standards. Maybe it's just me, but I was expecting more.
Profile Image for Colin.
1,325 reviews32 followers
August 13, 2019
At first you'll think "What? Only 102 pages, including appendices??? That's not value for money!" Oh, but it is!
Profile Image for Ivelin Georgiev.
2 reviews2 followers
January 24, 2010
I read bulgarian translation of this book, and I found many useful tricks and examples
Profile Image for Eduardo.
25 reviews6 followers
November 2, 2012
It's fine for new commers to PHP but not for advanced ones.
Profile Image for Cheol Kang.
46 reviews8 followers
January 4, 2013
vulnerable codes(common mistakes)와 exploit, solution(how to defend)을 모두 제시해 주는 책. PHP라는 언어에 한정된 이야기만은 아니다. 초급 웹 보안 실용서로 적당하다.
Profile Image for Robyn Wyrick.
Author 1 book8 followers
June 8, 2013
Essential PHP Security is an excellent entry into web security issues and PHP in particular. Shiflett is a genuine leader in the field, and this book is indispensable.
2 reviews
April 10, 2008
i need this book for my project please say me url or give me.
please i need it.
Profile Image for Charles.
44 reviews9 followers
June 3, 2011
Quite a easy read about security flaws in PHP and how to go on about fixing potential problems in your PHP script.
Profile Image for Nestor Mata Cuthbert.
18 reviews2 followers
July 12, 2014
Short book with the most basic concepts to develop with security in PHP avoiding risks.
It teach you how to avoid holes in your program that could cause vulnerabilities.
32 reviews6 followers
May 18, 2007
great, practical, the real thing.
Displaying 1 - 14 of 14 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.